Thread: New CM 00/01 Commentary File

vCash

New CM 00/01 Commentary File

Hello all. Here is my great contribution to humanity. I have written a new commentary file for CM 00/01. It was written in version 3.89, but I don’t think this version adds anything 3.81 doesn’t have.

This is a labour of love. I took me about a year to complete. Bear in mind, rewriting event_eng.cfg is an incredibly boring task, so there was more than one extended hiatus from which I had to drag myself back. I am uploading it because I may as well share the results of my hard work with the few who may appreciate it. If you try it and you like it, so be it. However, I wrote it for me and me only, so I am not looking for anyone to critique it.

The original events_eng.cfg from the developers is somewhat messy. What started as an attempt to tidy it up became a full-blown overhaul. Efforts by others to fix the commentary text (mostly for version 01/02) seem to take the existing version and add stuff. I pretty much wrote my 8,000+ lines by hand.

My version is the result of watching a fair amount of football (which can be tricky as an ex-pat in the USA) and noting down interesting phrases used by actual commentators (British, no less; none of this nonsense about ‘uniforms’, ‘shooting on frame’, ‘PKs’ etc.), along with countless hours spent in a thesaurus. I took a less-is-more approach, often removing multiple entries that were simply a reordering of the same phrase and replacing them with fewer entries that use a much wider vocabulary.

Here is the link:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/sm81v6

A fast version has also been created:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/x3ll1l

Please read on for more information on what you get.

Dr. Conquest’s CM 00/01 events_eng.cfg commentary file

Pros:

- Save-game compatible
    - Spelling and grammatical errors corrected
    - Greatly expanded syntax, with limited repetition of phrases across events
    - Improved consistency between the game (G) and report (R) entries
    - Reduction in the frequency of rare moves (like overhead kicks) through less specific wording

Cons:

- No sound configuration (I don’t use sound and the workload would have become ridiculous)
    - Less diverse delay times (I actually find this makes the game flow less erratic than before)
    - Fewer overall lines of text (The reasons were previously explained)
    - Sometimes the game seems to keep picking the same entry to display from a given event (I managed to reduce this by enlarging the ones that were most affected)
    - No translation available (Working on the Klingon version for when they add it to the game)
    Last edited by Dr. Conquest; 26-10-16 at 05:02 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Conquest For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Oooooo, you sexy beast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam F View Post
    Oooooo, you sexy beast
    Ummm . . . Not quite sure how to take that . . .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Conquest View Post
    Hello all. Here is my great contribution to humanity. I have written a new commentary file for CM 00/01. It was written in version 3.89, but I don’t think this version adds anything 3.81 doesn’t have.

This is a labour of love. I took me about a year to complete. Bear in mind, rewriting event_eng.cfg is an incredibly boring task, so there was more than one extended hiatus from which I had to drag myself back. I am uploading it because I may as well share the results of my hard work with the few who may appreciate it. If you try it and you like it, so be it. However, I wrote it for me and me only, so I am not looking for anyone to critique it.

The original events_eng.cfg from the developers is somewhat messy. What started as an attempt to tidy it up became a full-blown overhaul. Efforts by others to fix the commentary text (mostly for version 01/02) seem to take the existing version and add stuff. I pretty much wrote my 8,000+ lines by hand.

My version is the result of watching a fair amount of football (which can be tricky as an ex-pat in the USA) and noting down interesting phrases used by actual commentators (British, no less; none of this nonsense about ‘uniforms’, ‘shooting on frame’, ‘PKs’ etc.), along with countless hours spent in a thesaurus. I took a less-is-more approach, often removing multiple entries that were simply a reordering of the same phrase and replacing them with fewer entries that use a much wider vocabulary.

Here is the link:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/ryeqpv

Please see the next post for more information on what you get.

- - - Updated - - -

Dr. Conquest’s CM 00/01 events_eng.cfg commentary file

Pros:

- Save-game compatible
    - Spelling and grammatical errors corrected
    - Greatly expanded syntax, with limited repetition of phrases across events
    - Improved consistency between the game (G) and report (R) entries
    - Reduction in the frequency of rare moves (like overhead kicks) through less specific wording

Cons:

- No sound configuration (I don’t use sound and the workload would have become ridiculous)
    - Less diverse delay times (I actually find this makes the game flow less erratic than before)
    - Fewer overall lines of text (The reasons were previously explained)
    - Sometimes the game seems to keep picking the same entry to display from a given event (I managed to reduce this by enlarging the ones that were most affected)
    - No translation available (Working on the Klingon version for when they add it to the game)
    Thanks for sharing your project. Thumbs up

vCash
    The link in the original post has been updated after I spotted a couple of minor issues that previously got by me. Please feel free to mention it here if you find any proofing errors. Thanks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Conquest For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Not played 00/01 for a while but will Defo give this a whirl when I do, good work mate

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    HI, can anyone help, does this file speed up the commentarty aswell, or is there another file for this. many thanks

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cousy80 View Post
    HI, can anyone help, does this file speed up the commentarty aswell, or is there another file for this. many thanks
    It is not designed to that end. It was paced to be smooth and comprehensible on the Fast commentary speed setting in the unmodified game. However, you can easily tweak it to meet your needs by reducing the delay timing. There are only two variations of this in my version; 1000ms for regular events and 2000ms for breaks in play, outstanding events and events that do not specifically describe any action taking place (dramatic inserts). If you open the file in NotePad, you can perform a Replace All on '1000' and '2000' to swap them out with a lower value. This value has been set to 300ms on the 'Faster Commentary File' you were previously directed to. I have made yet further tweaks since my previous revised upload. If I decide to update it here again, I may include a fast version if I'm feeling generous. It literally takes a moment to create.

Edit: The original post has been updated with the latest modifications, along with a fast version.
    Last edited by Dr. Conquest; 26-10-16 at 05:03 PM.