Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CM 01/02: 10 years of work and editing

vCash
    Hi Lüssenhoff

That's fine and a fair point.

Talking about discoveries, I found Didier Drogba and managed to sign him. So far he is struggling and so is the team unfortunately. Need to start producing some results otherwise I'll be heading out the door.

vCash
    Started a game with Kaiserslautern . Klose banging them in. Signed John Hartson and Jonas Lunden.

Found plenty of surprises so far. Great database.

vCash
    Still playing my Lazio savegame with the previous version . 26th season at the moment . Podolski was a god for me from 2001 till he retired . you deserve a statue for your work man .
    Would love to help you develop this db for the Belgian league btw peace .

vCash
    @Ahmed: usually Drogba is an excellent low-cost signing. I've signed him quite some times and his productivity is mostly excellent but yes, I've also experienced his dips in form. He's always worth the try though.
    @Shambalane: thanks man. Jonas Lunden is still the overrated player from the ODB, but well ... I guess he's a legend like Tsyhalka so I have left him alone so far. Especially because if YOU don't buy him, he won't make that much of an impact.
    @Sw33Z: Haha I'll be waiting for my statue then man. By the way I did tackle the Belgian leagues. Haven't you noticed how many players in the lower leagues (even 3rd Belgian Division) have their full club record filled in?

vCash
    So my first season came to an end and finished in 8th position. I accepted the Intertoto Cup invite to try getting into the UEFA Cup.

I splashed out 15mil on Cristiano Ronaldo, 5mil on Yegor Titov and signed a bunch of freebies - Stoica, Heitinga,...a young Barzagli, Chiotis.
    Sold lot of the deadwood in the team and looking forward to the new season.

vCash
    Hi Luessenhoff

First of all thank you so much for your hard work ! This looks very promising.

Just started a game yesterday, and could not find Ljubo Kovacevic, he use to be a great keeper and free transfer at game start.

is he gone or has the name been changed?

vCash
    I haven't (yet) downloaded and played this, I'm sure I will very soon.

Could someone post a couple of screenies of some of today's superstars (Ronaldo etc) as they appear at the start of the game - and if people have got this far, how they turn out? Would love to see it!

Great work Luss!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marc1986 View Post
    Hi Luessenhoff

First of all thank you so much for your hard work ! This looks very promising.

Just started a game yesterday, and could not find Ljubo Kovacevic, he use to be a great keeper and free transfer at game start.

is he gone or has the name been changed?
    Hi Marc.

Ah, good old Kovacevic. He's still in the database, wasn't subject to a name change, but probably his rating is too low to appear in-game. He's one of the legends of the Original database that I "tackled", because:
    He would be picked up by any good team from the very start and would get called up by his country too, thus blocking the way in the national squad for the other Yugoslavian (Serbian) GK's that were the historically correct ones to make an impact.
    Ljubo Kovacevic had a very modest and insignificant career so I could not possibly leave him the way he was.

I did not downgrade all "CM 01/02 legends". As explained earlier in this thread, Tsigalko's (to name just one example) godly potential has been kept intact, in large part because he rarely makes other players fade into the background.
    In Tsigalko's case, you could say the statement "if you don't buy him, he won't become a God" will apply most of the times. The same couldn't be said of Kovacevic, hence the change.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks a lot Luessenhoff. I enjoy it so far.
    I'm just wonder if someone did the same work with .68 database, that would be great.

vCash
    The next update will comprise another +- 700 players corrected / completed / added.

The leagues of the Netherlands have had a thorough check. The Premier Division was already close to where I wanted it to be, only a couple handful of necessary changes have been done there, but I finally found the courage and determination (albeit not entirely without some reluctance due to the high level of dullness) to systematically check the Dutch First Division and fill in what career statistics I could find. It won't be on a par level with the Premier Division of course, but the improvement is considerable (squad corrections, players' abilities, career statistics, dates of birth, ...)
    One particular kind of error I encounter a lot in the lower divisions generally, is the presence of players that had either already retired or left the club years before !

Further work has been done on (but not limited to): Guatemala, Belgium, The Congo, Guinea, Belarus, the islands of Central America, Brazil, Switzerland, the German 2nd Bundesliga, Slovenia and many others.

A special mention should go to Belarus, for the insane number of "all-in-one-handymen" in the ODB. I wasn’t particularly bothered by this in the past but recently I had been wondering why the trainer kept calling up the weirdest of players while the established players were more often than not overlooked. Yup, those damn handymen that weren’t that versatile at all in reality. Resolved ! If only I could read cyrillic as I had to digest a lot of (Bela)Russian sources to make sure my effected changes were substantiated. Thank God translation machines exist.

Stay tuned until this next update.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hey, first of all just wanted to say amazing job on this! It's great to see the amount of effort that's been put into this, and the database feels much more realistic now.
    I've managed to find a couple of duplicate players though, is it OK for me to post them here?
    Also, there's some slight oddities with the Portuguese database; a lot of missing clubs, missing city coordinates, stadiums, etc. I'm trying to make a list of some of the things that should be changed, is it OK to post them here as well?

Again, great job on this and hopefully you can improve it even more

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dviie For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dviie View Post
    Hey, first of all just wanted to say amazing job on this! It's great to see the amount of effort that's been put into this, and the database feels much more realistic now.
    I've managed to find a couple of duplicate players though, is it OK for me to post them here?
    Also, there's some slight oddities with the Portuguese database; a lot of missing clubs, missing city coordinates, stadiums, etc. I'm trying to make a list of some of the things that should be changed, is it OK to post them here as well?

Again, great job on this and hopefully you can improve it even more
    Thanks dviie.

Sure, tell me the duplicates you've found. In the update I'm working on now I've also come across one more double player. It's through roaming in the editor so much that one stumbles upon them.
    The Portuguese (lower) leagues are indeed painfully inaccurate and incomplete. Most players there do not even have complete names, dates of birth, let alone any CA-PA.
    But because there's so much work and far more important things than the Portuguese lower divisions, I have only done some completions "here and there", never systematically.

I haven't done much for stadiums and even less for city coordinates. My focus has always been on the players. But feel free to suggest any improvements.
    I'm definitely willing to add the most important stadiums and cities that are missing, but in that case a list with the correct data would be welcome so that I don't have to look it all up one by one myself.

vCash
    I've done a list of the duplicate players I managed to find, along with a couple of notes on 2/3 players.
    Spoiler!

As for the rest, I only mentioned it because the Portuguese third level uses city coordinates to distribute the teams and it's quite odd to see north-based teams playing in the southern league
    I made a pastebin with all the cities in the game and their correct coordinates, along with some missing ones as well (ignore the Weather column). EDIT: The Latitude and Longitude columns are switched for some strange reason, the Latitude values are actually supposed to be Longitude and vice-versa! Also, the names in brackets next to certain cities represent the names they have in the original database.

As for the stadiums, some teams didn't have one, so I made a list of the ones that need creating too + some changes to existing ones.
    Spoiler!

Hopefully you'll have time to add this stuff, keep up the good work
    Last edited by dviie; 30-04-17 at 06:55 PM. Reason: important notes

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dviie For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great dviie ! Thanks.

How did you manage to track 'm all down? Anyway, a couple of those players I had discovered already, like that "Bas" I am using your list to solve these issues.
    - Gosh, how many duplicates the ODB had? Over the course of a decade I have already removed shitloads and shitloads ... -
    After that, and if there's enough energy left I'll see what I can do with your city / stadium list.

vCash
    Hi Luessenhoff

Am the moment I am having the time of my life with your update, love it !

Just a quick question since you have put Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo in the update, how many other youngsters from that time did you put in? i am thinking Alexis Sanchez, Sergio Agüero, Luis Suárez, Ángel Di María, Karim Benzema??

vCash
    If you are playing it surely you can check/see!!

vCash
    Hi Luessenhoff. How did you fix that thing by using an original editor?
    *unrealistic non-selection trait of African countries significantly improved: low-profile African countries that would never call up their most valuable players and would merely stick to useless players from their domestic leagues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fods View Post
    If you are playing it surely you can check/see!!
    Good point, Fods.

But Marc: No, the game's age limit is set to 1986 (if a precise DOB is stated) and 1987 as extreme limit, only if the year is stated and not a precise DOB. Any later years are bound to be downgraded by the game's engine. Hence, Messi could be added only just. Most of the players you are stating exceed this age limit. I would not feel the urge anyway to bypass this if I could in order to be able to add ultra young players (born after 1987). I mean Messi is 13-14 at the start of the game. If a player aged 12 - no matter how talented he is - makes it to the reserve squad of any given first team, that's a miracle. Even Messi was still playing for Barcelona C at the age of 16.

Good to hear you're having a great time with the game. and there's more to come.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by markuse View Post
    Hi Luessenhoff. How did you fix that thing by using an original editor?
    Hi Markuse. I'm not going to elaborate on each and every tiny detail of this because there's too many, but the most important factor by far is the following:

If any given African team plays against another one with hardly any "full" players (by full I mean real players, so the exact opposite of he darkened generic names that temporarily appear when there aren't enough full players available) the game mechanics will deem the match "useless". In other words: the respective teams are NOT triggered to call up their best players and will act as if it were a waste of much-needed energy to play them, the kind of thing you see happening when a very strong team has to play against, say, a fourth division team in the league cup or against a very weak team in the Qualification Rounds of the CL and the first leg has already been won 6-0, that's when the back-up players get their 5 minutes of fame. And that's exactly what the "African problem" was in the ODB: a severe shortage of players, both in numbers and quality, on the entire African continent. It was a vicious circle as the overwhelming majority of the African teams would perpetually make each other refrain from putting in any serious effort to win, from any volition to play, basically. It's not entirely illogical or unrealistic in itself, who would want to play if you don't have the players, neither qualitatively nor quantitatively, and how many established players would feel attracted to be called up to play against such a bunch of amateurs when you're pretty tied up by the (more interesting) playing schedule at your club? I can't say that this does not make sense. But the game mechanics do seem to bypass the fact that many footballers just want to play as much as they can, even if that means playing in a very weak national side and/or against weak opponents.

If there's one thing I've learnt after more than a decade of database-digging and the problem-solving that comes with it, it's that this game is all about balance. This goes for virtually every aspect of it really. Just like not every player with (seemingly) top notch attributes is a good performer and vice versa. This game manages to be simple and complicated at the same time, which is what makes it so intriguing and addictive, in my eyes.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hello, Luessenhoff!

Allow me to repeat that your data update -- is quite simply -- outstanding. The game feels much more immersive with all the extra players and added "realism". WELL DONE!

I made some changes though:

I altered Guardiola to be player/manager and gave him a high managerial potential. It's good to know that at some point he might be picked up by Barcelona and see how that story plays out...

I also alter the colours of the champions league and uefa cup, as well as PSG, Barcelona (both with darker shades of red and blue), Roma (amber and dark red), Sporting Portugal (darker green), etc. But these are cosmetic changes of course.

Keep up the good work!

vCash
    Thanks for the nice comment Psmith !

Good idea regarding Guardiola. However isn’t there a downside to it? I think a player-manager is bound to retire from the playing staff sooner? Guardiola still had 4-5 years ahead of him as a player around that time.

My next update is almost ready. I have taken care of the players list by Dviie (thanks).
    To be posted by the end of this weekend.

What’s in it? For a concise overview read my post dated 24-04-17, 03:23 PM.
    But add to that, many isolated bits here and there, stretching from the American continent to Eastern Europe, Africa and Oceania.

I also had a quick look at Dviie’s stadium list but have not yet made any changes. For me it’s a leap into the dark, I don’t feel comfortable doing it cause I lack the experience in editing / creating stadiums and cities. I’m particularly hesitant cause you have to know what you’re doing in the editor. Way back in time I had some nasty experiences when editing without caution (unstable game, guaranteed crashes and the like). Even now I do notice some slight discrepancies (e.g. the strangest of clubs in a player’s career history, or fucked up CA) that I’ve never inputted but are undoubtedly the result of the many changes the database has undergone). Luckily these are exceptions but they do occur. Anyway, still willing to work on that stadium list, but later. Players come first as they have direct impact on the game experience while stadiums don’t.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hi Luessenhoff.

Do you plan to add contemporary star players to your DB like Neymar or Dybala?
    I guess it would be hard to find right balance between their gradual development and the risk to be released on free and retirement at an early age.
    Last edited by pistachio; 07-05-17 at 11:39 AM.

vCash
    My next update is almost ready. I have taken care of the players list by Dviie (thanks).
    To be posted by the end of this weekend.

What’s in it? For a concise overview read my post dated 24-04-17, 03:23 PM.
    But add to that, many isolated bits here and there, stretching from the American continent to Eastern Europe, Africa and Oceania.
    Here it is: http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/CpggxhuW/file.html

It has become a pretty large-sized update.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pistachio View Post
    Hi Luessenhoff.

Do you plan to add contemporary star players to your DB like Neymar or Dybala?
    I guess it would be hard to find right balance between their gradual development and the risk to be released on free and retirement at an early age.
    Hi Pistachio. First of all they are way too young. As explained in my post of 28-04-17, 03:36 PM, I do not intend to add today's star footballers, for obvious reasons:

1. This game is about 2001/2002 (the players that were active then) and not about 2017. (in CM jargon: Neymar and Dybala are regens ! )
    2. Footballers being in the first squad at say Dybala's age of 8 in 2001 ... you don't have to be a professor to realize that this doesn't make any sense. :p
    3. It isn't even possible in the database, there's age limitations. (Eventhough I'm sure someone will be able to bypass it)
    4. Valid point brought up by you: indeed, it takes A LOT to write / compose players and make them evolve and perform "just right". Promising prospects that are to be given amazing potential on one hand without them rising to major stardom too soon on the other hand are a very tiring and at times frustrating task. Some players have taken me up to a month of trial and error to finally get them right, or come as close as I can possibly get. I've had enough. Honestly, today's stars are the last thing on my mind.

If a player wasn't an active professional footballer for either his club or his country in 2001/2002, then he simply does not belong in this database.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Luessenhoff View Post
    Here it is: http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/CpggxhuW/file.html

It has become a pretty large-sized update.
    Luessenhoff, You have earned your place as a cm0102 legend!

Thanks for this phenomenal update. kudos

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Psmith For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast