Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: CM 01/02: 10 years of work and editing

vCash
    Dear Luessenhoff,

I would like to recommend 3 players to your great update, who are not in the database. All of them was born in 1984. (Thiago Silva, Robinho, Wesley Sneijder). And there are some well-known players, who weren't first team players in 2001 or 2002, but they were born between 1985 and 1987 (Luis Suárez, Arturo Vidal, Diego Godín, Gonzalo Higuaín, Hugo Lloris, Manuel Neuer, Sergio Ramos, Leonardo Bonucci, Claudio Marchisio, Gerard Piqué, Karim Benzema, Cesc Fabregas, Nani, Edinson Cavani, Mario Mandzukic, Fernando Llorente, Edin Dzeko).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to luviall For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luviall View Post
    Dear Luessenhoff,

I would like to recommend 3 players to your great update, who are not in the database. All of them was born in 1984. (Thiago Silva, Robinho, Wesley Sneijder). And there are some well-known players, who weren't first team players in 2001 or 2002, but they were born between 1985 and 1987 (Luis Suárez, Arturo Vidal, Diego Godín, Gonzalo Higuaín, Hugo Lloris, Manuel Neuer, Sergio Ramos, Leonardo Bonucci, Claudio Marchisio, Gerard Piqué, Karim Benzema, Cesc Fabregas, Nani, Edinson Cavani, Mario Mandzukic, Fernando Llorente, Edin Dzeko).
    Hey Luviall,

great suggestions! I'm tempted to add them myself using the editor...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luviall View Post
    Dear Luessenhoff,

Definitely Sneijder, Silva and Robinho - surprised if they're not in there already. Sneijder made his Ajax debut in December 2002, Silva was playing in the Brazilian Third Division and Pelé had already named Robinho as his heir apparent when he was 15 (1999). I remember Robinho breaking into the Santos first team alongside Diego, who is in the database.

As for the rest, it would spoil the ODB for me as it wouldn't be realistic for that point in time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Definitely Sneijder, Silva and Robinho - surprised if they're not in there already. Sneijder made his Ajax debut in December 2002, Silva was playing in the Brazilian Third Division and Pelé had already named Robinho as his heir apparent when he was 15 (1999). I remember Robinho breaking into the Santos first team alongside Diego, who is in the database.

As for the rest, it would spoil the ODB for me as it wouldn't be realistic for that point in time.
    I guess you're right, the database should only include players who were active in 2001/02.

Sneijder, Silva, and Robinho should definitely be included then. I wonder if there are any other big names that are missing from the database but were already professionals in 2001/02...

vCash
    Dates of birth are irrelevant if the players weren’t full professionals in 2001-2002.
    Hence, most of the players in Luviall’s list do not belong in this database.

I agree that the addition of Thiago Silva & Robinho would be defensible. The same could perhaps be said of Sneijder and Nigel De Jong. I never really considered Silva and Robinho, but a long time ago the addition of the aforementioned Ajax players did cross my mind. It didn’t materialize: You have to bear in mind it isn’t always that simple to “just add them”.

Many team’s squads already have 50 players and so has Ajax.
    I’m not in favour of kicking players out just to be able to add future star players who were – strictly speaking – not in the first squad in 2001. My main goal is realism (that includes correct squads of that time) and not the presence of as many star players as possible in itself. One cannot shake off the impression that some folks want to see a collection of big names but this is by no means a “database of legends”, it’s a database that reflects the situation of 2001/2002.

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback and I’ll see what I can do in the next update with regard to at least couple of those players, like Robinho and Silva.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Luessenhoff View Post
    Dates of birth are irrelevant if the players weren’t full professionals in 2001-2002.
    Hence, most of the players in Luviall’s list do not belong in this database.

I agree that the addition of Thiago Silva & Robinho would be defensible. The same could perhaps be said of Sneijder and Nigel De Jong. I never really considered Silva and Robinho, but a long time ago the addition of the aforementioned Ajax players did cross my mind. It didn’t materialize: You have to bear in mind it isn’t always that simple to “just add them”.

Many team’s squads already have 50 players and so has Ajax.
    I’m not in favour of kicking players out just to be able to add future star players who were – strictly speaking – not in the first squad in 2001. My main goal is realism (that includes correct squads of that time) and not the presence of as many star players as possible in itself. One cannot shake off the impression that some folks want to see a collection of big names but this is by no means a “database of legends”, it’s a database that reflects the situation of 2001/2002.

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback and I’ll see what I can do in the next update with regard to at least couple of those players, like Robinho and Silva.

Good answer! I think your approach keeps the database coherent indeed...in this case, I think only Robinho qualifies as a "must add". He was a main part of Santos's first team 2002 campaign!

vCash
    @Luessenhoff

There are several problems with the update:
    - Australian NSL includes 13 teams, however from the start you could choose one of 14. And the 14th is the 2001 champion Wollongong Wolves. However they don't play in NSL.
    - Sweden Second Division fails with an error swe_second cpp 656

Patch 3.9.68

vCash
    @Luessenhoff

I can't play your DB with spanish language, It's dissapeared from settings. ¿Do you know to solve it?

vCash
    @ Pistachio

Don't know what your first point means, but as for the second: I didn't experience this problem? Errors are rare but if they do happen, it's only occasionally, never continuously.

@Ariesun24: Nope, as far as I can remember this version was very limited in language options. Perhaps someone can recommend some language patch or another?

vCash
    @ Pistachio

Don't use 3.9.68, use 3.9.60.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrFoo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFoo View Post
    @ Pistachio
    Don't use 3.9.68, use 3.9.60.
    Yes, it's definitely the root cause.
    @Luessenhoff
    Would you plan to go over 3.9.68?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pistachio View Post
    Yes, it's definitely the root cause.
    @Luessenhoff
    Would you plan to go over 3.9.68?
    I would play this on 3.9.65. Should be no conflicts.

vCash
    @ Pistachio: Why would I patch if the game works great? Any additional advantages? Feel free to shed some light on that. I've never been into patching.

The next update is going to be a huge one. Now that I’ve reached most of my main goals, I’m able to spend some more time on the lower priority tasks.
    I’ve been systematically editing and finetuning all clubs’ squads of entire divisions which, until now, had only been checked partially. Have been adding some missing players, correcting a lot of mistakes and imbalances (both cosmetically such as players’ names / transliterations and technically: attributes & abilities) , scrutinizing a number of African & American teams with a more critical eye which resulted in some down- and upgrading plus some additions and completions.

I’m sure most of these things will go unnoticed though for the average player because a lot of people either manage top teams only and / or don’t tend to search for players in remote & unfashionable competitions. While it mostly wasn’t very worthwile to dig said leagues in the ODB (exceptions aside, of course), they definitely are in this DB, especially if your budget is limited and you want to get a decent player at a comparitively low price. (Mind you, I’m not exclusively referring to the next update … it will surely further improve this aspect but it already applied to the versions you guys have been playing)

This could take a while before it's ready.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingfk View Post
    I would play this on 3.9.65. Should be no conflicts.
    I've so far played 3 and a bit seasons using this update on a 2-player network game. We both have .68 installed with this data applied as well as the latest tapani patch. We've not had any issues so far (bar the general ones that spring up with networking).

I’m sure most of these things will go unnoticed though for the average player because a lot of people either manage top teams only and / or don’t tend to search for players in remote & unfashionable competitions. While it mostly wasn’t very worthwile to dig said leagues in the ODB (exceptions aside, of course), they definitely are in this DB, especially if your budget is limited and you want to get a decent player at a comparitively low price.
    Me and my mate have been playing with Barcelona & Real Madrid but trust me, the changes are noticed, even when playing at the top. As someone who's more or less stuck to the ODB since the game came out, I notice the changes almost every time I click on a player/league/club. It's very satisfying to see more obscure teams with populated squads around the globe. The effect this has had on the global transfer market makes the game incredibly immersive. Currently in 04/05 and it feels far more like the real-life 2005 did in football terms than it does after 3 or 4 seasons using the ODB. As an aside, I think some of your best work so far has been in France and Portugal (except for Cristiano Ronaldo being far too good at the start!)

Keep it up. It's phenomenal.

EDIT: Might have been mentioned elsewhere but Belarus still seem to have tons of world class players...

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jez For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post

+1

I am also a fan of Luessenhoff's database. To me, this is the best update of the game! I highly recommend the cm0102 community to give this database a try.

Luessenhoff, Maldini still has "1" for strenght, otherwise you can call it a day as far as I'm concerned, the update is awesome! KUDOS

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Psmith For This Useful Post:

vCash
    [QUOTE=Jez;346165]I've so far played 3 and a bit seasons using this update on a 2-player network game. We both have .68 installed with this data applied as well as the latest tapani patch. We've not had any issues so far (bar the general ones that spring up with networking).

I haven't tried Luessenhoff`s database yet but I had the impression that he based it on the original .60 database. I`m not sure how stable the ODB is on .68 so personally
    I would play on .65. Anyways, good that you don`t have any problems with your setup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post

Me and my mate have been playing with Barcelona & Real Madrid but trust me, the changes are noticed, even when playing at the top. As someone who's more or less stuck to the ODB since the game came out, I notice the changes almost every time I click on a player/league/club. It's very satisfying to see more obscure teams with populated squads around the globe. The effect this has had on the global transfer market makes the game incredibly immersive. Currently in 04/05 and it feels far more like the real-life 2005 did in football terms than it does after 3 or 4 seasons using the ODB. As an aside, I think some of your best work so far has been in France and Portugal (except for Cristiano Ronaldo being far too good at the start!)

EDIT: Might have been mentioned elsewhere but Belarus still seem to have tons of world class players...
    That comment made my day, Jez ! Thanks !

Feels great to read you’ve been experiencing exactly that what I’ve been working for and towards.
    Indeed: one of the ideas behind my efforts is to make the players more or less evolve the way they did in real life. Impossible to make everything go the way it went for there are too many variables (injuries, circumstances that exert influence on development, players losing their chance due to a new manager who has different tactical preferences, incoming transfers that can hamper a player’s rise to stardom, real-life early retirements or even deaths that would obviously never occur in-game, to name only a few). It needn’t and shouldn’t be an exact copy anyway because every game / season is different and besides, if one could turn back time, at least some things would have gone differently IRL just as well. But all in all my point of departure has always been that in the game a player should at least have a fair chance of performing the way he did IRL.

On the French and Portuguese league: thanks ! The French Ligue 1 is one of the most ferociously edited leagues, simply because it was very much needed.

On the Belarussian players: the ridiculously high potential of this country in the ODB has been dealt with. Right now I wouldn’t say they have tons of world class players, some are very good and might perform on a world class level if YOU play them, but the majority of them are decent enough without being true class acts. Remember: Byalkevich and Khatskevitch were regulars (especially Byalkevich) at Dinamo Kiev, back then a force in the CL to be reckoned with. Hurenka played for Roma, Parma and Zaragoza, Kutuzaw would soon earn his transfer to AC Milan and Vasilyuk was banging them in for his country around that time, though the chapters of his career after this period turned out to be far less impressive. I think it’s fair to say Belarus did have their fair share of footballing talent. Then there’s of course the interesting case of Tsyhalka. Generally speaking, I’m not in favour of holding onto players just because they were legends of the ODB, for the sake of nostalgia. But if there is one player who has attained such a cult status amongst cm 01/02 fans, it’s him, and that makes it difficult to not leave him intact. But more than that, and this is what really tips the balance for me: his amazing potential isn’t recognized by the top clubs. If you don’t buy him, he usually gets transferred to teams like FC Köln or Besiktas where he will most likely be a modestly succesful second choice striker. In other words: he won’t block other players’ progression or at least not in an unrealistic way.

On Ronaldo: I think he is perfect the way he is now. He may look overpowered at that age at the start of the game but someone that would go on to attain what he has should not come without some magical starting ability. I did take into account his frail physique when he was younger, he will have to work his strength up through hard work, and he definitely will. One thing I did do though was making him a 100% striker (forward) from the start whereas he started out as a right attacking midfielder in the early days of his career. The problem with this game is that the game mechanics will almost always make managers prefer to play players that are capable of being midfielders and attackers … - even when they are far less adept at being midfielder - exclusively in midfield. That way he will never reach his ridiculous goalscoring statistics. But if a player is technically only a striker, but able to play on either side of the field (left, centre and right) AND if he is ridiculously good, he will still be placed in a more midfield-oriented position from time to time, as is the case with Ronaldo. But given his insatiable hunger for goals and fame, you can say his natural position is to play upfront, as his career has proved. The way this game works comes with its limitations, which means at times certain choices have to be made that are not 100% ideal, but my construction of Ronaldo has been carefully thought-out. Trust me, I know what I’m doing.

@ Psmith: valid point: Maldini was too athletic for a 1 in strength. I will correct it.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I gotta get back to work.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I've been following this since the start. I have to say it sounds like it will be awesome to play on. Well done on the effort.

I'm looking to start a game with this database and am wondering when it will be completed or as complete as you want to make it?

I'm sure you don't have a precise date but some sort of time frame or summary of things left to do would be cool.

Cheers

vCash
    Still addicted to this dB and thoroughly enjoying it!

The other day I spotted Giorgio Chilleni joining Liverpool.

I'm in my 5th season now with Chelsea and signed Pepe and Paulo Ferreira on free. Cristiano Ronaldo is superb! Nearly lost him as forgot to update the release clause in his contract

Keep up the fantastic work Lussenhoff !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitton View Post
    I've been following this since the start. I have to say it sounds like it will be awesome to play on. Well done on the effort.

I'm looking to start a game with this database and am wondering when it will be completed or as complete as you want to make it?

I'm sure you don't have a precise date but some sort of time frame or summary of things left to do would be cool.

Cheers
    When it will be complete? That’s a very tough one. With each update I tend to think that it is “virtually complete”. But the more I investigate and scutinize, the hungrier and more ambitious I get. With that said, the latest update is always the best and most complete version of the game (in my opinion), so as a CM01/02 fan there’s little reason to not start playing when the next one is ready, especially cause it’ll be a very big one, including some rectifications of competition history, for the first time. (Earlier in this thread someone rightfully mentioned the 1993 gap in the French league, and I’ve also added 2 years of missing league & cup history in Greece)

There probably isn’t any country or league that has been left entirely unaffected, but of course some have benefited much more from my attention than others. In general, I’m over the moon with the result in Europe, but there was and still is room for improvement and that improvement will come in the form of the next update. (expected to be on point and uploaded in +- a month)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Lukas Podolski don't have 2nd Polish nationality

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowalinho View Post
    Lukas Podolski don't have 2nd Polish nationality
    On page 3 is explained why not.

vCash
    On page 3 is explained why not.
    Ok, i see. Giving Lukas GER U21 call up in editor won't help?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowalinho View Post
    Ok, i see. Giving Lukas GER U21 call up in editor won't help?
    That option can't be selected in my editor, but if you happen to know an editor that has this option and which is compatible with cm01/02, freel free to help.

Podolski isn't the only one. I once had given all Germans with Polish nationality a second Polish passport. (There's quite a lot of them)
    Doing that was the best way to ensure that 1/3rd of the Poland squad consisted of German players who never played for Poland IRL.
    So that is why capped players (like Klose) do have Polish nationality too, whereas uncapped players mostly don't, unless they are not good enough and chances of ever being called up by either country are slim.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456