Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CM 01/02: 10 years of work and editing

vCash

Cool CM 01/02: 10 years of work and editing

Greetings, fellow CM 01/02 fans.

Over the course of more than 10 years, I have been trying to improve, correct and complete the game’s database. During all the time spent gaming with great fun (and at times anger and agony, lol) I noticed the many small imperfections of the game’s database and soon began working on it myself. Boy, it took way more time than I had expected ! By the time I discovered this website, I had already gotten too far with my work so I never actually downloaded any updates. The time that I invested in researching and updating + testing it in-game over the course of +- 10 years is mind-blowing. I’m not a programmer, everything has been done manually. I’ve listed the most important changes under this introduction. Impossible to list every change individually as too many years have passed and then again it would take ages to write it down.

*double players in the database deleted.

*faulty dates of birth corrected.

*full dates of birth inserted wherever possible if this info was totally missing or incomplete (e.g. only a year of birth, more often than not wrong).

*double nationalities inserted if that applies (this entails the extra advantage of increased “visibility”. For example: an obscure player of Argentina without an Italian passport will most likely not be visible unless the Argentinian competition is selected upon starting a game.)

*players with wrong nationality corrected.

*history / career stats of maaaaany maaany players properly filled in. (Even a decent football nation such as Mexico hardly had any players with their club history filled in !)

*correct number of caps filled in wherever possible. (Virtually every football nation in the world has been scrutinized and caps have been attributed to its respective internationals based on my knowledge and research) --> many countries hardly have any internationals with caps in the original database of which Israel is the most striking example. This work is not limited to the "lesser" nations ! Almost every player of the established nations has been checked too and loads of them had far too few caps / goals.

*unrealistic non-selection trait of African countries significantly improved: low-profile African countries that would never call up their most valuable players and would merely stick to useless players from their domestic leagues.

*free players at the start of the season that were still under contract in reality at that time are now with their respective club and vice versa (= players that were without a club are now effectively without a club).

*players contracted to the wrong club have been moved to the correct one. I’ve spent a lot of research on when exactly a player was signed. Be aware though that in some particular cases this leaves room for debate because what date does one take as a starting point when the starting date of the game differs depending on which competition you select? Ranges from the very end of june to august. Anyhow, a player that only signed for a new club in September is still with his old club in july or august. (The database had some of those players already in their new clubs)

*spelling errors of players’ names rectified. This includes corrections of players’ names which were the subject of an incorrect transliteration. Many Belarussian, Azeri, Latvian, Kazach etc … players had the spelling written just the way Russians would see it and not the country itself and the international community. Don’t panic! Maksim Tsigalko has not been deleted nor changed, merely his name has been rectified to Maksym Tsyhalka to name just one example. Don’t let this point scare you either, because 99% of the players have retained the original spelling. You won’t feel estranged from the game at all, but if you are used to digging into the Belarussian or other ex-Soviet states’ player ponds looking for affordable players you will notice a spelling different from the original database (but 100% in accordance with reality).

*quite embarrassingly for such an otherwise legendary game, the original database of 01/02 lacked an enormous number of international (!) players of the so-called (then) “smaller” football nations such as Slovakia, Bosnia, Lithuania, San Marino, Cyprus, Liechtenstein to name only a few from Europe, next to the smaller football nations of the African, American and Asian continent. Yes, amongst them even established players ! A huge part of those missing players have been carefully inserted and fine-tuned. Working method: A wide variety of reliable sources have been consulted to find the missing players of each nation and fill in the correct number of caps.

*some players’ attributes and / or CA-PA have been modified if this was deemed necessary. This has been done only when a player is highly underrated or to a lesser extent, overrated. That being said, the so called “pleasant surprises” of the game such as To Madeira and Maxim Tsigalko (mind you it should be Maksym Tsyhalka ! ) have not been deleted nor modified because they are part of the game’s identity and fun. But on the whole, the desire for increased realism lies at the basis of these changes and NOT any personal preferences or the way I would have personally liked it. So this database is definitely free from any preferential treatment towards MY favorite players. 

*wrong field position or side of players rectified. More players had this problem than one would suspect even though, of course, the vast majority of the players did have their correct field position attributed in the original database. Some errors were relatively “minor” though with a potentially major impact on the team’s squad. (e.g. attacking midfielder left whereas it should be right). Others were strikingly bad (attacker vs defender or even GK vs field player or AM vs DM). More often than not, this solves the problem of high quality players in a squad incomprehensibly not being given a chance in the original database, simply because one or more players had been attributed the wrong position, resulting in a possible surplus of players on that particular position.

*relatively well-known players at that time which for some reason or another lacked fixed attributes and consequently hardly ever lived up to their name / potential (random attributes are mostly not in the player’s favor) have been given the proper attributes.

*problem of talented players without a club in Spain and Portugal which are in fact under contract but forcibly released because the 50-player squad mark is surpassed in the over-occupied B-squad in those competitions greatly minimized. (This could be done because a fair number of those players still under contract in the game’s database had in fact already left the B-squad by that time).

Result of all these years of passion and hard work in order to obtain a better database:

- Teams perform more realistically and as a consequence competitions such as the CL and UEFA Cup are enhanced (a few examples: Leverkusen, in spite of its qualitative squad, often struggles in the original database, now the team constitutes a challenge to any other German team just as it did then and already quite some seasons before ! A direct consequence of every player being given the caps is that also the traditionally smaller CL participants such as Maccabi Haifa successfully emerge simply because all the Israeli internationals have been given caps and are always visible players from the very start of the game, resulting in an enlarged squad. (Internationals are always visible regardless of nationality or reputation) Of course the bigger teams from the competitions which can be selected are still by far the dominant ones as it should be, but the a bit too extreme discrepancy (due to players not being visible by lack of attributes, stats or simply caps) between a big club from let’s say Romania, Ukraine or Israel on one hand and a club like Manchester United on the other hand has been slightly reduced. In brief: Bayern Munich VS any bigger club from a lesser football nation of Eastern Europe was usually a complete walkover for Bayern in the original database, now it would more likely be “easy meat”, but not a complete walkover.

- The inclusion of many missing players makes for an enhanced database and more game longevity in every way and in particular has led to a more realistic balance between countries playing against one another. Many lesser football nations which used to have no under 21- players at all now very often have at least some. In the long run, this should give the smaller nations also more chances of decent enough regens. From a manager’s point of view, this also widens your possibilities regarding the acquisition of cheap but sufficiently talented players as smaller nations’ footballers are cheaper to buy by definition !

- A countless number of players have been provided with career stats. Not the most pleasant task to do for many thousands of players but hey, someone has to do it. In a way, this game has also become more of a reference work. Don't forget that career stats can be beneficial to a player as any experiences abroad will give him increased knowledge of foreign languages.

Sidenote: Lionel Messi has been added to the game (yes he was already at Barcelona in 2001), it wouldn't be great with Cr. Ronaldo in the game without his fellow world class rival. However, due to the database not accepting players born in 1987 IF inputted with exact date of birth, this has been bypassed by merely filling in "year: 1987". Besides that, as the Barca squad + Barca B squad is already full at the start of the game and more importantly, to avoid Messi being called up by Spain by acquiring Spanish citizenship too soon, Messi will start at a Spanish lower league club with his transfer to Barca fixated to 1.7.2002. I've tried and tested numerous times and to me this seemed the best way to avoid Messi becoming a Spanish international. By the way, Messi will become the goal machine that he is.

Disclaimer : as much devotion and dedication this project has absorbed, there will of course still be flaws and imperfections, partly because some data are simply not available or almost impossible to track down. But the least you can say is that this database is a GINORMOUS improvement over the original one.

I don’t know how interesting this sounds to you guys. Could very well be that I’m lagging behind since I’m obviously far from the only one trying to improve the game but I just felt it was time to share this and what place could be better than this forum? If you are interested in the result of my perpetual and ferocious CM 01-02 database work ethic, reply and I will upload the files soon enough. (Haven’t done it straight away because I am still working on some minor points).

I hope I can make at least some people happy with this mega update.

Manage'em !

link to newest update: http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/7bbdgKXl/file.html

Lüssenhoff
    Last edited by Luessenhoff; 10-09-17 at 12:29 PM.

vCash
    This crazy but also awesome! A lot of respect for all this work

vCash
    Congrats about the work!!

vCash
    Fantastic effort

vCash
    That mean Lüssenhoff is not a beast anymore?

vCash
    Yep please upload them, I would be eager to try it out.

vCash
    Kudos!!

vCash
    Crikey - sounds like a helluva effort

vCash
    Thanks guys.
    Glad to see some of you guys are eager to try it out.
    I will upload the db by the end of this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    That mean Lüssenhoff is not a beast anymore?
    Haha. He still is the very good player that he is in the original db. I know what you mean though, he gets called up for Argentina all the time (very often as an undisputed starter) in the game whereas in real life he hasn't collected any caps which does seem somewhat contradictory having been a starter in the Primera Division for many years. He still does get called up from time to time but he isn’t as certain anymore of his spot as he used to be in the original db. His attributes haven’t been downgraded but competition has become stiffer in the Argentinian defense which I believe is the main reason he never collected any caps rather than lack of quality.

Speaking of Lussenhoff (ARG-SP-GER) also brings me to the issue of double nationalities which has caused me some headaches and it’s this: capable players that haven’t been capped yet but that (should) have two passports are somewhat problematic when it comes to realism and back in 2001 this did not evade the game producers either. Example: players like Sean Dundee (German-South African) or Aldo Duscher (Argentinian-Austrian) had been attributed one full cap in the original db for Germany and Argentina even though Dundee has never collected any full cap and Duscher only got his first full cap for Argentina years later. I know why they did it though: to avoid the anomaly of Dundee being called up for South Africa and Duscher for Austria. If a decent enough player is available the weakest nation of the two will surely call them up very quickly and especially in Duscher’s case this would be hard to imagine as he does not speak any German. He only got his Austrian passport through (partial) descent.

The game only leaves room for 2 nationalities, … but there are players that carry 3 passports in real life. Gabriel Heinze is Argentinian, Italian and German (and he speaks all 3 languages, too). He has retained his ARG/ITA nationality in my db out of strategic consideration: Italy have a very wide range of world class and near world class defenders so he will not get called up readily by Italy. If he were to be attributed his German pass though he would very soon be called up by Germany. Relatively talented Argentinian of Polish descent Diego Klimowicz has 3 nationalities (ARG-SP-POL) but has not played for any country at international level. In my db he has a Spanish pass next to his Argentinian one. In the game, he rarely ever gets called up for Argentina or Spain (which is a good thing) (unless you buy him, make him play like a superstar, that’s a different story) but if you give him a Polish pass he will be picked up by Poland in no time ! So no Polish pass for Klimowicz , lol.

Too bad no “player’s preference” of national team representation has been built into the editor. Not every player would need this option as there are more than enough players who would happily play for the country which wants them to play for them (think of Argentinian Camoranesi who chose to represent Italy and also several Polish-born players that became German international players (Podolski, Trochowski), and told the press they would have played for Poland had they been called up by their home nation in time. But as for the game there’s only 3 options: Either you accept that uncapped promising players with a double nationality will very likely be playing for the weaker nation, a fact which will very often be contradictory to how it went in real life, or you give them a cap for the country they “have to / will” represent. The third option is to remove the second nationality. I did so with Simone Perrotta as he would get called up by England time and time again whereas … you know the story, he went for Italy from the start ! Such situations annoy me in-game because that way Perrotta blocks the road for other England players on his position to evolve normally and shine on the international stage (e.g. Lampard). It wouldn’t annoy me if it only happened 50% of the time but in Perrotta’s case he never gets the chance to be called up by Italy because England Always select him for their first match in September.

The odd thing is that a Portuguese nationality combined with a non-European nationality works very differently. In this case the “second” nationality is not even visible with uncapped players on the profile tab. You have to click on the contract or transfer tab to see that second nationality. Moreover, an uncapped Portuguese-Angolan player will never get called up by Angola and an uncapped Angolan-Portuguese player will never get called up by Portugal. What is it in the game mechanics that makes Portugal so different from the other nations in this domain? If this could be unraveled this could provide a solution for the said problem. (e.g. make Aldo Duscher eligible to play only for Argentina in spite of his Austrian pass)

Lüssenhoff

vCash
    Good work. This is the sort of thing I've been talking about for years.

vCash
    Thanks ! Good to see there's a lot of enthusiasm here.

Which website would you guys advise for the upload?

vCash
    Put it on a Google Drive, Sendspace expires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by faz44 View Post
    Put it on a Google Drive, Sendspace expires.
    Sorry mate don't know how that works but I've just uploaded using WeTransfer, I'm sure someone here will be so good to upload it permenantly for everyone:

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads...4211806/43a731

(Download, unzip files, copy everything (106 files) into your Data folder (overwrite))

vCash
    Excellent work i suggest
    I will sure check it when i have time

vCash
    Awesome!

vCash
    Is this based on the .60 or the .68 database?

Edit:

Seeing you have To Madeira and Maxim Tsigalko in this database would suggest it`s the .60 database.
    I believe they were removed in the .68 database.
    Last edited by Vikingfk; 20-08-16 at 10:25 PM.

vCash
    Hey guys

New link and I've continued my work so consider this a new update: https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads...1200031/9e1e7c

I would happily welcome some feedback ! Though I know this may take some time as you first need to play a couple of seasons to get to know it properly.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash
    What changes have been made?

vCash
    "Sorry...
    The download isn't available anymore"

Could you please upload it again?

vCash
    @ Jarssonn: Yes I will upload it once again shortly ! (= before the end of this week)

@Faz44: Some players' club contracts have been adjusted. E.g. German international Stephan Paßlack was an 1860 Munich defender until october 2001 so he was wrongfully in Nürnberg's squad. He should still be at 1860 Munich. Besides that I input the correct data of Surinam's national stadium and its league participants. Some similar completions have been made for the "lesser" football nations.

But the newest update which will be uploaded very soon as stated above is one I'm very fond of because it solves the disturbing Messi problem as I had pointed out in my initial post:
    List of changes for the coming update:

- Up until my latest update, Messi was at Sabadell because there simply was no space left at Barca or Barca B. In reality, he started out at Barca C in 2001 but oddly enough, contracting any players to that club in the editor would be fruitless! By accident I found out why. So now Messi starts at Barcelona C for the first two seasons and is transferred to Barcelona's main squad (or B squad) in 2003 just the way it went IRL. A very nice side-effect is that the issue of Messi gaining Spanish citizenship too soon (before being able to be called up by Argentina's U21) is bypassed or at least its chances of happening greatly reduced.

- Cuba had been one out of very few nations not scrutinized ). Over the past weeks I've had a look at it and found out there was only 1 Cuban player in the database. This has been improved to 4 players and of course the career history has been properly filled in if the data could be retrieved (This applies only to the one player that was already in the database)

- Many African countries' (and that of other lesser-known football countries) clubs now appear in the dropdown menu whereas most wouldn't be visible before and could only be found by typing them manually or clicking on a player's history if that club appeared in that list (although anyone who's profoundly familiar with the game knows that there are hardly any African players with domestic league mentions or statistics in their history). --> user-friendliness improved AND more regens will be created due to those clubs actually being set to 'active' in the respective country's first division. Lesser national football teams ending up with completely or nearly depleted squads as the years pass by in the game should now, in large part, be a thing of the past.

I'll upload it soon.
    Last edited by Luessenhoff; 30-08-16 at 02:37 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Link (I think this link will last longer): http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/qmTcKl8O/file.html

Once again this update is an improvement over the previous one.

--> still found a couple of players with a wrong nationality --> fixed
    --> insertion of missing players, especially those of the tiny football nations: (e.g. I've continued my "Middle-American tiny islands' teams project": many of them now have more real players, and contracted to the correct club.
    --> +- 100 players have had a major check since the last update (this could be date of birth and / or attributes, CA-PA, history, position, ...)

There's also something worth mentioning which I forgot to mention in my first announcement post ! I don't know exactly why, but ever since profoundly improving and extending the game's database, I've found that crashes or errors virtually don't happen anymore whereas they used to happen every once in a while back in the day when playing with the original database. I can only guess that I've put away some inconsistencies in the database which led to error messages en crashes.

Hint: you can tell how much work has been put into the players' histories if you compare the loading times of the bar "player histories" upon a starting a game. Compare my update to the original game...
    Last edited by Luessenhoff; 03-09-16 at 04:33 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hi, I've gone to download the file but it has been flagged by windows defender as having malware?! Is this a real link?

vCash
    Of course it's real, just your AV being on its period

vCash
    Soon I will be posting a new update. After each update, I tend to think the work's finished but it always turns out it isn't I keep finding mistakes.
    EDIT: and here is the link ! --> http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/VwGzbZPO/file.html

It is a continuation of my previous work:

- couple of wrong nationalities rectified (some players in the database didn't even have any nationality at all, they would get a random nationality.)
    - dates of birth corrected or completed
    - player's attributes review (examples: Slovakia's Marek Mintal, or Valladolid's Dragan Ciric: he is right-footed, not left-footed AND he also operates as a right midfielder)
    - extra players added for the Middle American islands' teams. Bahama's & Turcs & Caicos Islands now each have their first player in the database.
    - investigated the realism of the Spanish and French leagues and made some corrections to the players. Especially Nantes and Auxerre still had some flaws and gaps in their teams. The results are satisfying. On average, the league table at the end of the season resembles the real outcome at the time more than before.
    - number of caps of a couple of nations' players investigated more deeply (amongst them Panama, Ethiopia, El Salvador, ...) changes / completions made if necessary
    - added some extra players history, in particular to players from the Spanish second division and the Belgian lower divisions.
    - Swiss league: annoying absence of CA-PA and / or attributes further improved. (Most players of the first league now have them)
    - added more detail (CA-PA + attributes + history) to the players in the leagues of Slovakia, Slovenia & HUngary + added some missing players of Slovakia, Slovenia and Hungary with particular attention to the younger players. Check out the U21 of their national teams. Slovenia and Slovakia hardly had any U21 players in the original database, now it looks pretty okay. Though Hungary remains limited in terms of "youth resources".
    - investigated the Italian Serie A once again and made corrections. examples: E.g. Marco Zanchi was loaned to Verona while being property of Juventus. Ukrainian forward Kovalenko is now at Sportakademclub as he was only contracted in 2002. Feat worth mentioning: spent hours fine-tuning Italian goal-machine Dario Hübner (remember, he was the season's top scorer in 2002 together with David Trezeguet, but he did it with his tiny club Piacenza against all those mighty Serie A defenders ! At the time it was debated whether he should be included into Italy's WC 2002 formation at the age of 35 ... it didn't materialize) Hübner would always underperform in the Serie A in any CM edition. That problem is now solved. I've run about 5 tests and on one occasion he did end up as the league's top goalscorer with 24 goals in a 4-4-2 formation with Piacenza (!). So now it is possible whereas it was virtually impossible before. More than 2 dozens of other Serie A players have had a revision too, sometimes if only slightly.
    - added +- 10 missing African players and / or filled in missing attributes (Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Burundi, ...)
    - found a player in the River Plate squad which shouldn't be there at all, he has been moved and as a positive side-effect, Esteban Cambiasso's loan from Real Madrid can now proceed. In the original database the African countries were badly done. Even the most detailed countries such as Ivory Coast had more than just a handful of players '(established ones AND young talents) missing ! Nigeria seems to be the only positive exception there.
    - many other minor changes and additions here and there, from Canadians to Surinamese ... you name it. The ultimate goal is a complete database.

and one step closer to perfection.
    Last edited by Luessenhoff; 18-09-16 at 08:13 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Luessenhoff For This Useful Post:

vCash

This is like a dream come true! I'v been waiting for something like this for years now!
    Thank you so much for your hard work. Time for nostalgia fix!
    Today's players and football are so boring, this will truly bring back the legendary feeling of 01/02 season!

p.s. Just one question, can I use tapani patch 2.21.1 with this data?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast