Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Journeyman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the academy to produce anything.
    Yeh, I haven't had a great deal come through the academy at any of the clubs i've been at. I do have one promising central defender who I can't seem to remember looking at until recently. His stats seem pretty good for his age and he'll be a good replacement for John Stones who is in the twilight of his career.

vCash
    Crystal Palace 2025/26

The season started off with the stadium expansion I so desperately wanted, increasing our capacity to 42,000. We'd be competing across the usual fronts however our UEFA Cup success meant we'd also be representing in the Super Cup and World Championships. My goal for the season was to continue to build my team and have another dip at the champions league title.

League table part 1/part 2

League position graph

Possibly the easiest title i've ever won. Absolutely nobody was able to offer a sustained charge for the league and we secured our third title on the bounce with 8 games to spare. The AI managers, at least in England, seem to be doing a horrible job. Chelsea appear to be the most consistent over the last decade but even they couldn't even muster enough fight for the runners up spot (which eventually went to Leicester). Interesting, Man City were finally relegated from the premier league, despite their millions. United hovered around mid table, sacking Antonio Conte before he'd even got himself comfortable at Old Trafford.

League cup - a very easy win. I blooded my kids and reserves for the most part but rolled out the big guns for the final (probably a bit unfair).

FA cup - a tougher game than last year against Swansea. We ran out winners again though.

Club world championships
    - a piece of pi**. Nobody gave me a game and New England were dreadful.

Champions League - we sailed through group stage 1 without breaking a sweat which filled me with hope. Unfortunately, we were on the back foot from the first game of group stage 2 (vs. Real) and never really got going thereafter. We finished bottom of our group.

Worth mentioning that Bayern are now the most successful club in champions league history with 11 wins.

Euro super cup - a tougher game than it appeared against last years champions league winners, porto. We ran out 2-0 winners in one of our most disciplined performances of the season.

Squad - I spent big again (for a club of our size) in order to make further improvements to the squad. It's coming together but i'm still not happy in some areas. A new DM and RM are priorities this summer. If i can get a couple of very good players in these positions I think we can finally challenge for the champions league. I handed trusty club servant Wilf Zaha a new one year contract and expect we'll be parting ways in 2027.

Transfers - in/out - Godbold, Bates and Solanke went straight into the team with the later two having a huge impact. Godbold forced his way into my plans mid way through the season. This alongside the emergence of Terry Boateng led me to sell John Stones, who at 31, was probably only two seasons from the scrap heap. I regretted this decision massively and wished i'd kept his calming presence.

Finances - the balance is healthy but as long as I keep spending we're not going to grow the coffers too much. The increased stadium capacity has helped us bring in higher gate receipts, although frustratingly i'm averaging c. 32,000 when we could easily fit in another 10,000 fans.

Key player profiles

Dominic Solanke
    - an absolute phenomenon. I signed him for Ajax and an offer of 29m was enough to reunite us at Palace. A goal machine. World player of the year and European footballer of the year.

Robbie Pemberton - I love this guy. Solid as a rock and only 20.

Will Hughes - the engine room of the team. 31 now, so I will be looking to replace soon(ish). Another great season for our captain though.

Danny Bates - signed from Norwich, he's been another consistent performer providing both goals and assists.

Career overview

Next season

I'm now feeling fairly settled at Palace and can see myself staying another couple of seasons. I need to get a maiden champions league win at the very least and i'm hoping that with some shrewd signings that this could be my year. I quite fancy the England managers job but the hapless Eddie Howe has hogged it for 10 years. This year is a world cup year so perhaps he'll get his marching orders and I can step into the breach...
    Last edited by #4; 06-08-17 at 11:32 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    This is a bit bizarre. I'll take it but i'm unsure we'll fill a 58,000 seat stadium!

vCash
    All a bit too easy at Palace (Champions League excepted)
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    All a bit too easy at Palace (Champions League excepted)
    Agree. This will be the last club at which i used a wibwob tactic. Will go back to basic formation without any bells and whistles. Success will be much harder to come by but I think it'll be much more enjoyable.

vCash
    After firing up the game last night I suddenly realised that I didn't have the fight to begin another season at Palace and needed a new challenge. In four seasons we had gained promotion, won countless trophies and reinvigorated the clubs infrastructure. I leave the club with a fully fledged youth academy, a 58,000 seater stadium and many memories.

For my next club i'm looking for something different. My only restriction is that I won't be using a wibwob tactic which should make success much harder to come by. It'll hopefully make this story much more interesting for you guys too.

vCash

After a couple of weeks of unemployment I found a job I was finally interested in. Having spent the majority of my career in England I felt another overseas challenge would be fun.

To me it looks like the club is a bit of a sleeping giant that has been woefully managed over the last decade. They've bounced around the leagues and haven't achieved a great deal, although they're currently listed as 'rich' and already have a 40,000 seat stadium.

Domestic League history

The squad is weird. Some decent players mixed with some real crap and very little balance across positions. I've been given 30m to spend so I will have to make use of this to at least pad the squad out a little.

season expectations

Given i'm using a pretty vanilla 4-1-4-1 formation I don't expect to dominate immediately (if ever). I've been set the target of a respectable league position and will just try and maintain that. A top 6 should be our aim I think.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Toppling the big guns of PSG, Marseilles, Monaco and Lyon without wib-wob will be a challenge. The midtable is very competitive in France.

Will one of your guys be able to land the most unpopular player award ?

vCash
    Can't click on the pictures in work, but some last season with Palace!

To be honest I would have stayed there for one last crack at the Champions League and then moved on, but you've a new challenge in France now anyway.

vCash
    Will one of your guys be able to land the most unpopular player award ?
    I thought you were joking about this....

vCash
    Mid season update

No screenies at the moment, i'll save them for the end of the season.

Just hit the end of January and it has been a very busy start to my tenure. The board sanctioned an extra 10m-20m of expenditure and I've purchased an entire new starting 11. Club revenue is very good which is helping me greatly. I know I said I wouldn't do it but I must confess to doing a bit of very basic wibbing on a 4-5-1, although this was just to push my defensive line up. It was killing me every time I opened up my tactics screen. The team is on form at the moment and we are looking good. Very much enjoying this new challenge.

As for other interesting things:

- Palace are walking the league but are struggling in the Champions League (standard)
    - Man city are hanging around the bottom half of the championship
    - Man utd are involved in a relegation battle (!)
    - Eddie Howe is still making howlers with his England selections, much to my constant annoyance

vCash
    Bordeaux 2026/27

First year in my new job with a big rebuilding task on my hands

League table 1/2 - a roller coaster. we hit the summit four times but won only 2 of our last 9 games to finish 3rd

League cup - wasn't too bothered and played a largely patched up side and it showed

French cup - we reached round 11, which isn't as far as it sounds

Squad - average age of 25 means this is a team with its best years ahead of it

Transfers - lots of activity in the transfer market. I focused on improving the spine of the team and adding youth where I could. The board were very supportive

Finances - wages are very much under control at the club which means we are turning a good annual profit (pre transfer spend)

Key player profiles

Harold Moukoudi - overpaid but he proved to be the anchor of the whole team

Dele Alli - started awfully but came good as the season progressed

Jeremy Baysse - youth product that was thrown in the deep end

Daniel Vergara - very promising winger who for his age showed great consistency

Bernard Courtet - up and down but I have high long term hopes for this player

Career overview

Next season

I am going to retain my focus on keeping a strong spine and adding youth as we simply don't have the wage budget to attract big players. If I can add one quality player to each of central defence, central midfield and right back whilst retaining the rest of the squad, I think we can mount a serious title challenge.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Solid start and something to build on. I sense this might be a slow burner.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Started the second season and really finding it tough. Very inconsistent in the league even though the squad is slightly better than last year.

Are AI managers sophisticated enough to no longer see me as an underdog and alter their tactics accordingly?

vCash
    So, so tempting..

vCash
    Bordeaux 2027/28

Second season at Bordeaux and my expectations were for a title challenge.

League 1 & 2 - the season started with a 4-0 loss to Laval which wasn't ideal. after an inconsistent first half of the season we picked up our form to finish 3rd again.

League cup - played my reserves and crashed out early.

French cup - as above. out in the 10th round.

Champions league - we sailed through the first group stage but stuttered in the second. fixture congestion plus a 'second 11' bereft of quality meant we had little chance in making a mark on europe.

Squad - the squad remains work in progress and we are still short in some areas.

Transfers in & out - a very frustrating summer window with teams unwilling to sell. i had to spend big just to get some new faces in.

Finances - we've started to struggle a bit here despite champions league football and decent attendances. this is going to be hard to manage.

Key player profiles

Daniel Vergara - another solid season. handed in a transfer request in december and we lose him to benfica shortly.

David Garcia - solid, dependable. an old head brought in to steady the ship.

Bernard Courtet - i said last season that i expected big things from the 20 year old. he delivered.

Jacques Gille - 17 year old youth product who got in the team due to injuries. impressed so much he made the DMC position his own.

Career overview

Next season

This is a slow burn and i don't feel we've really got a shot of toppling the mighty PSG. Provided we can keep the squad together and add a couple of quality new faces, we will be there or thereabouts.
    Last edited by #4; 21-08-17 at 04:59 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    But have you won the most unpopular player award ? That is the big one in France

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    But have you won the most unpopular player award ? That is the big one in France
    Not as yet. I've got my fair share of candidates so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. I really didn't realise it was an actual thing at first. Only in France.

vCash
    I've had an absolute nightmare. Having known I would lose Daniel Vergara to Benfica in January last year, I purchased a very good replacement immediately for c. 18m. Without realising I set his buy out at 9.25m and I've lost him, less than a year later to Stuttgart. He official moves in January so I'll have to do my best to replace him at short notice.

On a positive note, we've started the season in blistering form, winning our first 12 games. It won't last but currently enjoying riding this wave of form.

Will post some screenies later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by #4 View Post
    Not as yet. I've got my fair share of candidates so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. I really didn't realise it was an actual thing at first. Only in France.
    I don't think it is an actual award. I think it was just the SI developers having a bit of fun at the expense of the French. It does mke me smile every time the news pops up, although I don't think that any of my players have ever won it.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I've had an absolute nightmare. Having known I would lose Daniel Vergara to Benfica in January last year, I purchased a very good replacement immediately for c. 18m. Without realising I set his buy out at 9.25m and I've lost him, less than a year later to Stuttgart. He official moves in January so I'll have to do my best to replace him at short notice.

On a positive note, we've started the season in blistering form, winning our first 12 games. It won't last but currently enjoying riding this wave of form.

Will post some screenies later.

Do not blame Daniel Vergara, it is impossible to resist the appeal of Benfica

29. The Following User Says Thank You to rodrigoazevedo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigoazevedo View Post
    Do not blame Daniel Vergara, it is impossible to resist the appeal of Benfica
    Both Vergara and Casanova are dead to me. Football in circa 2028 is full of mercenaries.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So here was the first mercenary to jump ship.

And then the second. *sigh*

Not entirely sure how easy it'll be to replace either of them.

Finally, a quick overview of my current 11.

vCash
    Both Vergara and Casanova are dead to me. Football in circa 2028 is full of mercenaries.
    Only in 2028 ?!?

And trading Bordeaux for Benfica, with all the respect for the French club, is not being a mercenary ... it's a matter of logic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigoazevedo View Post
    Only in 2028 ?!?

And trading Bordeaux for Benfica, with all the respect for the French club, is not being a mercenary ... it's a matter of logic
    Hmmm...if it had been FCP or Sporting I may have understood

35. The Following User Says Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast