Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Journeyman

vCash
    At last, Eddie Howe has been relieved of his England duties and I have been duly appointed as his successor. I've had a couple of international manager jobs (Colombia and Wales) during my career but have gotten bored pretty quickly and resigned. England is different though and I look forward to leading them through the 2030 World Cup qualifying campaign. I'll keep you updated on this separately.

I must say that I am finding this challenge very difficult indeed. The French League is a tough nut to crack, particularly when you have a strong mid-table and a single super club (PSG) to contend with. Some really interesting jobs keep coming up which is testing my loyalty to the max. I was offered the Arsenal job last season and have already seen Chelsea and my former club Newcastle sack their managers this year. I do feel that I have to stay and at least win the league but the fact I keep losing my players to 'bigger clubs' is very annoying. On balance, I think the only job I would consider at this stage is Man Utd. They're currently playing in the Championship (!) and manager Gary Cahill is performing very averagely.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by #4 View Post
    Hmmm...if it had been FCP or Sporting I may have understood
    Funny guy Ahahahahahah that would be devoid of any sense at all.

vCash
    Bordeaux 2028/29

My third season in what is a frustratingly difficult job. Was this to be my year?

League - page 1 and page 2 - we started the campaign in blistering form, winning our first 13 games on the bounce. Annoyingly that didn't put much day light between us and the competition and when the inevitable dip in form came, I knew we'd be in trouble. The title push ebbed and flowed all season, going right to the wire however we managed to score a 2-1 win at home to PSG on the penultimate day of the season, putting things firmly in our hands going into the final round of fixtures. A final day away game against 5th place Amiens would be tough but we ran out 3-2 winners to hand me my first title in France.

League cup - another pointless competition for us. Out in round 2.

French cup - as above, I didn't really take this seriously and we went out in round 9.

Champions League - we sailed through the first group stage, drawing a tough set of fixtures for round 2. We started with a thrilling 3-3 draw at home to Leeds before demolishing Barcelona 4-1 at the Nou Camp. A 2-2 draw away at Stuttgart followed and despite being beaten in the return fixture, we went into the final two games in confident mood. A win at Elland Road put us in second, with a draw at home to Barcelona enough to put us into the knock out stages. We crumbled, losing 3-0 and narrowly missing out on second spot.

Squad - the squad is reasonable but the clubs lack of a major reputation makes building a strong team quite tough. As soon as my young players begin to fulfill their potential they seem to want to leave. It would take me 5-10 years to build a dominant club in this league.

Transfers in & out - I am continually frustrated by clubs asking for huge money for promising players so I decided on evolution. In came 7 reasonably good players, the pick of whom was Andy James, a 10m signing from Arsenal. Having lost our talented right winger, Casanova, James was a more than adequate replacement.

Finances - healthy but my transfer activity is reducing our surplus each season.

Key player profiles

Bernard Courtet - some issues with consistency but overall a great season from the Frenchman

Wilson Inacio - a complete season from the Portuguese winger who chipped in with 12 goals and 9 assists

Jeremy Baysse - think Makalele or Matic. A player that allows others to shine

Alexandre Fischer - a great second season at the club. 18 goals from central midfield

Career overview

Next season

At last i've conquered the mighty PSG which has been no mean feat. This is a tough league with a very competitive 2nd - 8th. That being said I feel like I've taken the club as far as I can. I've had a great time at Bordeaux but I don't have the desire to hang around. I've therefore informed the board that I will not be renewing for 2029/30. A new challenge awaits.
    Last edited by #4; 29-08-17 at 10:03 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

vCash

With the ink on my resignation letter still wet, my agent informed me that Manchester United manager, Gary Cahill, had decided to leave the now Championship club for a 'bigger' job with Sheffield Wednesday in the Premiership. After some serious mismanagement, the club find themselves on the periphery of English football with what can only be described as a shambles of a squad. As you'd expect, finances are seriously healthy (I've been given a transfer budget of 174m), however this is a rebuilding job of epic proportions. A huge overhaul of both the technical and playing staff is required here and I am the man to do it.

My mission is to restore the club to its former glories and I won't stop until we've won every trophy available to us. Sit tight, this one could be a long 'un.

Their league history is enough to make you weep....

Last edited by #4; 29-08-17 at 10:29 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good luck with that new challenge

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rodrigoazevedo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigoazevedo View Post
    Good luck with that new challenge
    Thanks. I'm quite looking forward to this one!

vCash
    Which manager took them down?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Dalglish's Smile View Post
    Which manager took them down?
    I believe it was Antonio Conte however the groundwork was firmly laid by Pep. For two of the game's 'strongest' managers, they were crap at squad building, tactics, team selection....the list goes on. Ironically, the board felt that Conte was worthy of two bites of the cherry!

vCash
    Manchester United 2029/30

My first season in charge of the mighty reds. Having taken over at the end season I was shocked to see the state the club was in. This season would be all about building a strong squad and getting back into the top division.

League page 1 & page 2 - the newly assembled squad flew out of the traps, knocking over any team that stood in our way. We were playing so well that my players began to attract unwanted attention in the January transfer window and I was receiving offers on a daily basis. This definitely had a destabilising effect on the team and we began dropping points left, right and centre. Our last 15 games went WLDWDWWDDDDLDWW - hardly the form of title contenders. Luckily for us, our nearest challengers Preston also began to drop points around the same time and we ran out champions. The gap between us and our nearest rivals is perhaps a little flattering.

League cup - out in the 3rd round.

FA Cup - having beaten Premier League Stoke quite comfortably in round 3, we were dealt a home tie against Chelsea in round 4. Chelsea are no longer the force they once were and I was therefore confident of a safe passage into round 5. Although we battered them for 90 minutes, a single goal was enough to deny us entry to the next round. 1-0 Chelsea.

Squad - when I arrived I was shocked out how bad it was. I went to work shipping out as much dead wood as possible, whilst at the same time building a team capable of challenging. Given I only had 2 transfer windows I am pretty happy with how it has turned out. Well balanced with a mix of youth and experience.

Finances - very comfortable indeed.

Transfers in's and out's - I wont post a screenie, mainly because I signed a stupid amount of players (15 at a cost of 45.5m). Out of the squad I inherited, only 3 survived - James Wilson (ST), Craig Morris (DL) and Wayne Richards (MC). I didn't pick up any real bargains but at the same time I didn't go too crazy, focusing on balance.

Key player profiles

Keith Slater - the fans player of the year. Bought as cover for club stalwart James Wilson, Slater forced his way into the team, netting 30 goals in all competitions. He was even called up for the World Cup, although I am England manager so I suppose that doesn't count.

Mateusz Wieteska - midfield general who brought experience to the team. A great all round season with the midfielder scoring 11 goals and picking up 8 assists.

Martin Nikolovski - the 7.5m signing was my most extravagant piece of business. He returned the faith with 16 goals from the wing.

Kristijan Kolar - another midfielder, another fine season. The Czech was an ever present for me and he definitely has the quality needed for the premier league.

Career overview

Next season

Next year will be crucial for us. I expect a mid table finish IF I can buy the players I need. Either way, a top 10 is the minimum the board expect and I can't let them down.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    England - 2030 World Cup, Portugal (part 1)

So, those of you who have been reading this story properly will know that I took over the England national team in 2028, replacing the departing Eddie Howe (now my assistant at United). Having sailed through qualifying, the 2030 World Cup would be my first major tournament as national team boss. Prior to the start of the tournament, the FA were uncharacteristically realistic and set me the target of getting to the second round. The squad is talented but perhaps a bit on the young side. That said, I'd managed the likes of Robbie Pemberton, Jody Wilson, Mike Godbold, Terry Boateng and Will Hughes at club level (Crystal Palace), so knew my senior players were more than capable of doing the country proud.

Group stage

Game 1: England 0 - 0 Brazil

A very difficult opening game versus Brazil. Whilst the game ebbed and flowed throughout, it remained even and we picked up our first point of the tournament.

Game 2: England 3 - 0 Honduras

We avoided a potential banana skin (South American teams are always hard to beat) with a convincing win versus an opposition I thought would give us more of a game. Arsenal's young forward Trevor Shaw hadn't shown much leading up to the tournament however he had a great game, putting the Honduran defenders to the sword.

Game 3: England 4 - 0 Japan

A game we simply had to win. Japan offered very little and a fine team performance ensured safe passage to round 2 of the World Cup. Tougher tests certainly await.

Last edited by #4; 17-09-17 at 04:23 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    England - 2030 World Cup, Portugal (part 2)

Finishing top of our group means that we *should* get a slightly easier path through to the final stages of the tournament. In the second round we drew 2026 World Champions, Belgium - so much for the seeding system.

01/07/2030 - World Cup 2030 Second Round - England vs. Belgium - Estadio de Bessa, Porto

Playing the reigning world champions in only the second round of the tournament felt somewhat cruel for a team that had qualified top of their group. That being said, the Belgian national team was not the force it had been 4 years ago in Brazil and I fancied our chances to upset the odds. The first half was tight and despite having the better of the play, we went in at half time with the scores still 0-0. We'd certainly had the better of the possession but had failed to make the decisive breakthrough. In the opening 15 minutes of the second half we started to pile the pressure on the Belgian back line and with 66 minutes on the clock, midfielder James Stamp made a marauding run into their box and finished superbly to put us in the lead. The single goal margin never felt safe and chances came and went for Belgium's wasteful strikers. Luckily for us on 81 minutes, young Trevor Shaw got on the end of a deep cross to put us 2-0 up and secure our safe passage into the quarter finals. England 2, Belgium 0.

06/07/2030 - World Cup 2030 Quarter Final - England vs. Spain - Estadio da Luz, Lisbon

The draw got even crueler and pitted us against the runners up from both 2022 and 2026 for the quarters. It felt like the team had finally started to fire so whilst I was cautious, I felt we had a chance to once again prove the book makers wrong. The match was very open in the early stages with both sides having chances to open the scoring. When the ball fell to the now irreplaceable Trevor Shaw in the 31st minute, my heart was in my mouth. He latched on to a through ball from Miles Howarth and with the goal at his mercy, he nestled the ball into the bottom corner sending the England fans into raptures. Our glory was short lived however and a lapse in concentration from our usually sturdy defence gifted Spain an equaliser. Our lead lasted just 5 minutes with Eduardo Nieto putting the Spanish back on level terms.

With the game poised at 1-1, I felt that whoever scored the next goal would win the match. It had shades of England versus Argentina in 1998. We came out of the blocks tentatively, with 'keeper Francis Arnold forced to make two early saves. With an hour on the clock and our backs against the wall, Trevor Shaw pulled a moment of magic from absolutely nowhere, dancing around the Spanish defence before curling a wonderful strike into the top corner. With the Spaniards now on the back foot, Shaw cemented his place among England greats by securing a well earned hat trick. England 3, Spain 1. We were through to the semi finals of the World Cup. I had to pinch myself.

I was firmly brought back down to earth when I saw the draw.....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Well done on landing that title with Bordeaux in the end, I can't cheer you on at Utd but good with work England so far, I'll go with Germany in the Semi Finals.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123