Thread: Another Visitor

vCash

Another Visitor

I've been a casual player of the CM games since the early nauties when I got a copy of 99/00 for Christmas. This is a huge forum with a ton of different sub-sections and I'm not entirely sure where to post so I'll start here and go from there.

I recently started playing 99/00 again and am currently having my most successful spell as Tottenham manager to date. In my first season, I won the FA Cup and finished 8th and in the second I got to the final of the League Cup and finished 4th. I'm currently in my third season and my team is in freefall at the lower end of the league table and my 20 year old wonderkid (Zlatan Muslimovic) has gone from hitting 25 goals a season to only managing one goal by February. I've been playing 4-5-1 which is the formation I've found to be the most effective.

I'm posting here in the hope that someone can give me a few pointers to get my team back to winning ways as I don't want to throw all my progress away.

vCash

try new formation or some new signings? where do you seem to be falling down? scoring? keeping clean sheets? etc

Largely 01/02 chat here but the 99/00 section is here - http://champman0102.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=243

vCash
    Defensively my team isn't too bad. I have a CB pairing of Sol Campbell and Rio Ferdinand (was lucky enough to get RF for 3.9m on a relegation release clause) and most of my good results have come from defensive tactics (playing behind the ball, man-marking the opposition's best players and hopefully getting a goal or two on the counter). I've only managed to win one game after going behind so scoring goals is definitely the problem.

vCash
    Why dont you play 01/02

vCash

vCash
    I do play 01/02 (retail disc version) and have done for years but there are a few features that keep me going back to 99/00 and it's the first CM game I played so it has that extra nostalgia pull.

Personally, I like playing with the old databases. I wish we had retro databases so I could manage an early 80s Spurs with Glenn Hoddle and Ossie Ardiles.

vCash
    There are retro databases

vCash
    Welcome to the site

No retro database for 99/00 I'm afraid but there are ones available for 01/02!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    I've managed to revive my team's fortunes with a Pochettino style 4-2-3-1 (modified 4-3-3) and came within a hair's breadth of winning the league (3 more points would have done it). My league form over five seasons with more or less the same group of players reads 8th, 4th, 15th, 12th and 2nd.

One of the things I've learned from this last season is that you don't need an especially strong team to challenge for the title. Two of my best players wanted to move to bigger clubs and the squad was full of discontented players wanting new contracts after playing half a minute of football. A few bargain buy rookies and cast-offs from other Premier League teams is all you need.
    Last edited by English Invader; 24-10-16 at 12:14 PM.

vCash
    Recently won my first league title (after 18 years of on-and-off trying). The 4-2-3-1 can definitely get results. One thing that made a difference was subbing the keeper when he's having a stinker. There are plenty of times when the other players are getting good ratings and the keeper's on a 5 after letting in two goals. I'm positive that there's a bug in the program that makes keepers have the occasional off-day.
    Last edited by English Invader; 25-06-17 at 02:18 AM.

vCash
    Doesn't that happen IRL though?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Doesn't that happen IRL though?!
    Yes, but not so badly that the manager feels compelled to sub the keeper during the match.

vCash
    Is '5' that bad?

If he has literally had nothing to do but let 3 goals in from his error the can see why he was replaced

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Is '5' that bad?
    It is if you have a keeper on the bench capable of getting a 7 and helping to turn the match around - the keeper with 5 is only likely to concede more goals. I generally find 5 the point of no return for any player; at that point, he's not going to contribute anything worthwhile to the game so if you have an equivalent or better player on the bench you should bring him on.

vCash
    Fair point - but he could easily make a "worldie save" and have a good remainder of game

Tough call this CM0102 management lark