Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alphabet Game - October 2016 Data Update

vCash
    Good work with Twente mate, even with CL Football I'm sure you'll be challenging for the title with Vitesse.

vCash
    I think there might be a typo in the tracker table on the 1st post ....

Alphabet Table
    6 - EL-TOPPO (Anderlecht, Cardiff, Dortmund, Gillingham, Inter Turku, Manchester United)
    5 - kengandhi (Atromitos, Blackburn, Falkenberg, Galway Utd, Linfield)
    5 - Kingsley (Ballymena, Dundalk, Groningen, Imotski, Jeonnam)
    3 - pieriedaczi (HB Koge, Lajeadense, pieriedaczi)
    2 - AJ (Anzhi, PS Kemi)
    1 - JLa (Raith Rovers)
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    S” is done …. and I'm heading to the World Cup finals !

Winning the Brazilian league with Sao Paulo was just way too easy.

The only points we dropped were at home to Ceara where we were comfortably leading 2-0 when our goalkeeper was sent off and I had no more subs available. Of course winning the league isn't enough. There are then the top 4 play offs. Fluminense but up little resistance in the semi final. The final was hard fought and for a few minutes in the second leg first half, alarm bells were starting to jangle. Claudino silenced them and sinceAtletico Mineiro needed 3 more, the title was in the bag.

The biggest problem was recruiting players. I desperately needed a keeper and a striker, but could I get one ? Either the clubs refused to do business, or the players refused to move to a rival. They must really hate Sao Paulo in Brazil. Eventually I signed up 38 year old Claudio Bravo, who was available for free and doubled up as GK coach. He then retired 5 days before the transfer window closed. I was forced to pay over the odds to meet the minimum fee clause on a young keeper from Santos (knicknamed Jozeso). The window closed and I couldn't even complete free signings … but there was a loophole … Loan deals would still complete (I expect this is a bug, but one worth remembering !). I got a backup, Adryan Ferrari (nicknamed Testarossa !) who turned out to be quite good.

Up front, I got in a guy to play behind the front man in a 4-1-3-1-1 and used him with a 21 year old who had not been rated by the previous gaffer. Jonatico ended up as top scorer in the league with 22 from 25 games. My other key signing was defender Doria from Lyon (ex-Marseille) for £1.5m and he was immense.

It turned out that we were in the Copa Sudamericana, and that was just as easy as the league. We had beaten Boca, Penarol, National Montevideo, Cruziero and Gremio on our way to the final with Velez.
    We won that with some ease

On the international front, Paraguay as expected failed to qualify, although we did have some decent wins on the way (Columbia 3-1 at home). Very strangely, I didn't get any of the african jobs. I've never known that before, even as a diddy rookie manager you can usually get them. Then, the day after Paraguays fate was decided, and Brazil's qualification was confirmed, Jorginho was sacked ! As number 1 in Brazil, I applied and …..

First game ended Brazil 5 Paraguay 1 (Coutinho got 4). The Board expect me to get to the semi final, and we have Australia, Mexico and Ukraine in the group.

But that can wait. For now I have a new job to find. Kaiserslautern (3rd Bun.2) and Espanyol (12th La Liga) might have interested me, but they came up a bit too early. Nothing of particular interest, but some in Europes top leagues that are vulnerable. My current reputation is sky high !

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Awesome stuff mate, the Brazil job should be class as well I'm expecting at least a World Cup and a Copa America win with them

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Brazil do have the squad, but all it needs is a red acrd for a keeper or a super keeper for the otherside in a one leg tie.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    And I have a new job

I rejected Melbourne Victory and New York City as they aren't exactly top leagues or difficult letters.

The squad doesn't look too bad, no obvious weakness in the 1st 11, but could use some depth and the dross removing. I think that they underachieved in the opening period.

I do need to know what the target is in Argentina - just one of the two periods or the overall league ?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Just try to win all of those!

vCash
    The MLS is a largely pointless league. The main aim is to finish in the top 8 out of 12 teams.... which I did without any real trouble.

First 1/4 Final of the play-offs was close and took a 111th minute winner from my DMC - Joey Boggs in the 2nd leg. A red card in each leg was regrettable;

On to LA Galaxy, which was fairly simple although I lost another player in the 2nd leg.

Colarado was my final opponents and this time I managed to keep my players disciplined, luckily Colarado failed and gave away a 85th minute penalty which Boggs neatly put away.

In the aftermath of the match, before the champagne corks were popped, the AFA came to tell me they'd issued me a £45k fine.... nice.

But this is all that matters. C - DONE

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kengandhi For This Useful Post:

vCash
    To cap the season off, I did the double after a 5-1 win over San Antonio FC..... and 2 days later a job offer.... Sangju Sangmu of the Korean Classic League.

Only 2 days left of the season, and I'm not going to win it ...... what with me being 22 points away. But I have a decent transfer budget and 8 years scouting experience all over the world, so I'm fairly confident I can win the 2025 season with them..... although I'll be on the lookout too see if another no brainer comes up somewhere else.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kengandhi For This Useful Post:

vCash
    MLS sounds like fun. I'll have to add that to my list of things to do in this adventure

vCash
    OP updated - Plenty getting into their stride now although it feels as though there aren't as many are doing this as the April challenge?

Either way - It's AJ, kengandhi and Kingsley at the top of the pile at the moment with 6 teams each.
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    I'm still doing the April one!
    Also I've had a period of less playing lately. Enough happening here to keep the thread interesting anyways, though.

vCash
    R” is done …. but only just

And just incase the Closing period is not enough, here is the overall league too

To be honest, winning the league with River Plate is not exactly much of a challenge. A few key signings (USA defender Perry Kitchen on a free was class) and padded out with some loan deals from European sides and I had a decent squad. I also moved on about 30 players who were total crap, so the next gaffer will have a good core squad to work with, and plenty of places to fill with his own men.

Why was it only just ? I have my eye on 2 developing job opportunities which I was praying would not come available before I won the title. Watch this space !

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kengandhi View Post
    To cap the season off, I did the double after a 5-1 win over San Antonio FC..... and 2 days later a job offer.... Sangju Sangmu of the Korean Classic League.

Only 2 days left of the season, and I'm not going to win it ...... what with me being 22 points away. But I have a decent transfer budget and 8 years scouting experience all over the world, so I'm fairly confident I can win the 2025 season with them..... although I'll be on the lookout too see if another no brainer comes up somewhere else.
    Apparently the South Korean season is only 5 months long. So I've joined just in time for a 7 month break. I suspect I won't stick this one out

vCash
    Apparently the South Korean season is only 5 months long. So I've joined just in time for a 7 month break. I suspect I won't stick this one out
    No excuses for failing to recruit all of your transfer targets :-)
    Also, watch out for the cup which starts after the league season is finished

vCash
    Not the job that I was waiting for, but I've got my next challenge

Xanthi was insecure, but they avoided relegation on the final day and Nicholaos Lazaridis appears safe for now. XV de Piracicaba was also insecure (Brazil Serie B), but again Andre Leonel appears safe again. Quilmes (Argentina Primera B) is Very Insecure, and has been for a few months, but they just won't sack Maximiliano Rodriguez and I can't wait for ever.

Early days in the Russian season, but Spartak Moscow lead on 22 points after 9 games played. It's a long shot to win this time, but an outside chance of a quick title and perhaps a stepping stone to something else.

I'll keep my eye on Greece, Argentina and Brazil, but after getting Terek safe, the World Cup is on the horizon.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    As expected, a great season for PEC!

We also won the Dutch cup:

I'm not going to post a million player pics, but look at this BEAST! Best 950k I've ever spent. I can't believe his former club didn't want this guy, what were they thinking! Hopefully my next club has enough money for me to bring him along with me.

I had my hopes up for CSKA Moscow, but they opted for someone else. Birmingham offered me a job out of the blue, however they had already been relegated from the Prem and will probably need a few seasons before they can compete with the big guns in England. Still looking for a new job ..

Completed letters: R (Raith Rovers), P (PEC Zwolle)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLa For This Useful Post:

vCash
    World Cup was a bit of a disaster. In the opening group game, Ukraine led for 70 minutes before a late Neymar brace and one from Doria spared our blushes. Ukraine would have to consider themselves as unfortunate, finshing the game with 9 men after suffering 4 injuries. Next up, Australia and again we struggled to breakdown a packed defense. 3 minutes before the break, Alex Sandro broke the deadlock, which was followed by a second from Malcolm and one from Campbell to make it 2-1 at half-time. Gabriel made it 3-1 just after the restart, which was just as well as Gabriel himself was sent off to give an anxious last 20 minutes. Finally Mexico, who also took the lead. Second half goals from Casemiro and Coutinho rescued the points, although it was far from convincing.

Had we lost, we would have drawn Switzerland in the last 16. Instead, our prize for winning the group was Netherlands. Outplayed for most of the game, the goals all came in 3 minutes each side of the interval. Neymar's opener was countered by Bergwijn. Malcolm restored the lead and we hung on, mainly thanks to Allison in goal. Our luck, and we had used a huge heap of it, ran out against France. After his heroics in the previous game, Allison had a stinker. Greizman and Pogba both found the net in the opening 17 minutes and there was no way back.

Fortunately, the Brazilian FA were satisfied by a quarterfinal, so I get to keep my job. That probably meens the end of the road for a generation of Brazilian players who have underachieved. I have 3 friendlies coming up and I'll look to those under 30 who will be ready for the next world cup. That means no place for Marcello, Neymar, Oscar, Willian or Coutinho.

It wasn't going so well at Russia either. Terek were doing OK and had pulled clear of relegation, but we were making up no ground on the leaders, so the title was not going to happen. With the international manager merry-go-round after the world cup, some big jobs became available, so I resigned and started applying. I almost accepted Swansea before I remembered Sao Paulo ! I didn't apply for Juventus (Jeonnam), but that made the Lazio job available. I considered Wolves, but as well as Lazio, there was the Feyenoord job available, and this one

Very early in the season and without a manager, they won their opener. £19m + whatever I can get from transfers and a month of the window left. I'll be going all out to knock PSG (who have spent £34m already) off their perch

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    A bit disappointing season at Vitesse, or maybe not, I do not know. One thing is for sure, in 2023 it is completely different game, 433_default reings everywhere. I don't complain, actually, I enjoy it even more.
    First, we lost in Super Cup to my previous employer
    Spoiler!

Then, a decent debut in CL
    Spoiler!

maybe this is why we have lost the main goal by one point.
    Spoiler!

Of course the game teased me cruelly in the final day.
    Spoiler!

and finally we saved the season in Dutch Cup final
    Spoiler!

My reputation is now 85th but still I can't get any national job.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to pieriedaczi For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Sacked off Sangmu Sangju....made it to February but it's dull. Dundee United is my next challenge, I've got 3 months to save their season and then next season to end Celtics dominance

32. The Following User Says Thank You to kengandhi For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    After PEC I went to Russia and spent half a season with Spartak Moscow. They were 15th or so when I arrived, we eventually finished 2nd but CSKA were unstoppable and won it by 11 points. The Russian winter break is several months, and I just couldn't be bothered.

I have left for Belgian club Zulte Waregem - the letter Z was too tempting to resist. We are third and have a good chance of catching up with leaders Club Brugge, watch this space!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to JLa For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Kengandhi. Good luck with The Arabs

JLa. Thats a very good job to get.

vCash
    Sacked off Sangmu Sangju....made it to February but it's dull. Dundee United is my next challenge, I've got 3 months to save their season and then next season to end Celtics dominance
    So much for Celtics dominance;

Took 18 months, My first half season was poor - 7th in the league, but it yielded the Scottish FA Cup, which got me into Europe.

Completely revamped over the summer - 14 new signings - and it took about 10 games to get in my stride, but once I did there was no stopping us. That said the Europe League was a disappointment. I'd beaten Ajax and Aletico Madrid before getting Odd of Norway in the 1/4 final. 3-3 First leg, 3 aways goals and was sure I'd go through only for 4 of my first team to be called up for B internationals. With a mini-injury crisis and my customary suspensions, I was fielding 17yo debutants in the most important game of the season..... lost 1-0. Discovering afterwards that Mark Hamilton (20 goals in 19 games) scored for Ireland B in a 2-1 defeat to Cyrpus B did little to calm my anger.

That bought on a mini-slump of 3 league defeats on the trot, but I'd built up a commanding lead and was able to coast to the title. Capped it all of by retaining the FA Cup with a 2-0 win against Celtic.

EDIT: Oh and I'm Chile Manager now too..... have been 6 months and have no fixtures due yet.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to kengandhi For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Just days after the FA Cup triumph I'm back in the EPL.

Arsenal, having had an appalling season, needed a new manager.... now I already have A, so not a job for me, but Eddie Howe fancied a go and left a vacancy at Swansea City who are primed for success..... Well maybe not Primed, but I reckon I can do it in 2 seasons.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to kengandhi For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Ok, after two seasons at Vitesse I know for sure my favorite 4132 tactic is useless against 433_default.

Spoiler!

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast