Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alphabet Game - October 2016 Data Update

vCash
    All the immediately available clubs were letters I'd already done....waited 7 weeks then got 3 job offers on the same day

Nice - 14th in Ligue1 19 points off top with 19 games remaining
    Heerenveen - 11th in Eredivisie 18 points off top with 16 games remaining
    Newcastle Jets - Bottom of the A-League 21 points off top with 17 games remainin

All much of a muchness, the weird A-League play-off rounds make Newcastle my best chance of quick success, but even then it's a tall order and anything less than winning the first season would decimate my waning world reputation, which will be essential to bag the harder letters. So I reckon it's time to move back to Europe, and what better place to go than France.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kengandhi For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Much more positive report after third year at Vitesse.
    First and foremost the "V" letter is finally done
    Spoiler!

domestic cup in addition
    Spoiler!

another average display in Champions League
    Spoiler!

So, there is an improvement after applying new tactic
    Spoiler!

The next post is Portugal, the first big offer (I am 33rd in ranking)
    Spoiler!

which allow me to work with some world class footballers
    Spoiler!

Oh, and I finally have a national job, a new old one, and already doing some good work there.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pieriedaczi For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Told you this was your year mate, and a nice job in Sporting and with Ronaldo's regen there it should be a short stay.

Best of luck with Nice kenghandi.

vCash
    Stoke went a little too easy..

We never gave anyone a chance and our defence infront of Butland was solid as a rock.. Marshalled superbly by my Brazilian DC signed last season.

Added with the assists and goals from these 3 meant that no one really stood a chance of stopping this stoke side who will now play CL Football for the first time ever.

Clubs managed (Anderlecht, Cardiff, Dortmund, Gillingham, Inter Turku, Man Utd, PSG, Stoke, Vasco)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-TOPPO For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Good work Toppo, any jobs available?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Good work Toppo, any jobs available?
    I'm off to Newcastle who are languishing in mid table in the championship. £39m in funds for transfers, should be a breeze once i have sorted this squad out. I thought stoke's was bad. This is worse

In other news Arsenal have been relegated from premier league - BOTTOM of the table

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-TOPPO For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Best of luck at the Toon mate!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    F” is done

That makes it look much easier than it actually was.

The Campionato Carioca was ongoing when I joined. It is a strange set up 12 teams 22 games in the league, but it is a open/close season, so although Botafogo won the league, the final was between ourselves and Fluminense, who happen to share the Maracana with us ! We won both games 1-0 to take the State title (just for glory)

The league was obviously the ultimate goal and I know it is a very condensed program, so I wanted to try to avoid too much fixture congestion. Looking at the schedule, I could get to the Copa dos Campeos final before it interfered with league games. As we were out of the cup, I decided to go for it. would have just one game in the Serie A league program, so I decided to go for it. We got to the final where we beat Sport Recife 2-0 away, only to lose 1-0 at home. Enough to land another cup.

What I hadn't banked on was being entered for the Copa Sudamericana. It took a great effort (strange team selections and dubious tactics) but we managed to go out in the group stage, although I did have to move my goalkeeper to midfield and both central defenders to the wings in the final game !

So to the league. It started of with some poor results and then the Copa Sudamerica meant we had a lot of games in hand. We were never out of contact if we won our games, but it was a worry when we were so far down the table. Eventually we got our game together and climbed quite quickly.

We were confirmed in the playoffs with a few games to spare. Forataleza first and a 4-0 win in the first leg put the tie safe. More so when we went 2-0 up at their place. 2 late goals leveled the scores, but we were through to play Atletico Miniero.

The home game looked like being a superkeeper, but 2 late goals in 4 minutes gave us a big advantage. The second game was another tight one, but they had a man sent off just before half time. We scored twice in a minute just after the restart and cruised to the finishing line.

Best player was Mauro Caballero, a Paraguayan who I gave his 2 caps to. He just couldn't stop scoring !

I also bought Daveid Fagundes from Nice, so I've now had him at 3 clubs (also Sao Paulo) and Brazil !

Talking of Brazil, we had the Copa America. It was heavy weather, but we managed to beat Ecuador, Chile and Venezuela to make it to the quarter final. The 3-0 win over hosts Bolivia was probably our best performance and that brought up a BIG game with Argentina ! At 40 minutes it was 0-0 and very much in the balance. That was when Marcos Rojo got sent off. 3-0 to Brazil at half time, 4-0 at full time !

The final was against Columbia. We raced to a 2-0 lead. Were pegged back to be 2-2 after 90 minutes. 99 minutes and Gabriel Jesus makes it 3-2 and this time we held on.

That rocketted me up to 2nd in the world rankings (although I've now dropped back to 20th

I did resign from Brazil as it was extremely frustrating. Although we won the Copa, I just couldn't get the best out of the team and we struggled to see out games that should be in the bag. I'll look for a top European nation after the Euros next summer.

On the job front, I've applied for 2 clubs (L and M) so we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by Kingsley; 31-12-16 at 08:29 AM.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    And I have a new job. I applied for both Lecce and Melbourne City and by luck, they were both offered on the same day

Lecce are 10th in Serie A, 13 points behind Napoli and 12 behind Milan who also have a game in hand. Even with 21 games to go and £6.75m to spend, it would be a very unlikely title.

Melbourne City have offered £9.5m and are 5th in A-League, 13 points behind Perth Glory. I have no idea how the A-League works, but it looks as if you just need to be top 6 to get to the next phase. After that, there is a playoff, but I don't know how you get to that. Melbourn looks like a more likely league title, so …..

it was an easy decission.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    M” is done

The A-League has a very strange format. It starts with an Opening Period. The 10 teams play a 27 game league program and the top 6 progress to the next stage. I took over with 10 games to play and Melbourne City in 5th place, 13 points behind the leaders Perth Glory. I didn't know how the system worked, so the target was to finish as high in the top 6 as possible. The squad looked pretty decent although the keepers looked week, Frank Feilding (ex Bristol City) was the only one I would be confident of starting, and he was 36. There was also a weakness at left back, but the main task would be to clear out the deadwood. I didn't manage to sort out the keeper, but I did get Harshae Raniga, a New Zealand International for left back. A couple of free agents, a couple of loanees and Ryan Edwards, who I had at Dundalk, completed my squad. 12 players left, 11 of them released.

There were no problems in progressing and over the 10 games we moved upto 3rd. I didn't know if that was important or not, but I was pleased with the progress.

Closing Period turns out to be a 5 match league with the top 2 progressing. All previous results are wiped out, so finishing 1st in the Opening Period has no benefit over 6th. First game was a crazy encounter with Perth, where the ref did a great job of trying to wreck our chances.

That hurdle overcome, there were no further problems and top 2 was sealed with a game to spare

So it was Melbourne v Wellington for the title. A one off game and we had home advantage (presumably for finishing top,but it might just be luck). New Zealander, Noah Billingsley, had been on a hot run of scoring and he made the perfect start, scoring one and setting up the second for an early 2 goal lead. Wellington had to do something, so just before the interval, they initiated a punch-up, so the second half would be 10 v 10. It looked to have worked when they pulled one back. We suffered some nervous moments, but when Billingsley restored the 2 goal advantage, it was in the bag.

Title won, it was time to start the job hunt. There were 6 top flight jobs available with letters I need, so I applied for all, including Celtic. It could be a tough decision if that one gets offered.

My reputation remains at 20th world wide

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    OP updated!

Sterling work from Kingsley, EL-TOPPO and pier as usual
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    OP updated!

Think you've forgotten Vegalta for me;

http://champman0102.co.uk/showthread...094#post328094

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kengandhi For This Useful Post:

vCash
    And it didn't take long to find another job

It was a tough choice between Lanus or Velez. Velez would have got rid of a better letter and offered more to spend, but their squad was very poor in comparison. At the end of the day, this is about winning titles and Lanus gives me the best chance.

The squad looks pretty decent, other than the defense which is awful. I'm not that impressed with the backroom either, so I'll sort that out and get rid of the deadwood (squad of 47) then look to more recruits. Just 2 games left of this season, so no chance of the title, but an opportunity for some to stake their claim for a game next season.

(Newall's (40 points) and Boca (39 points) lead the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    OP updated!

Thanks Mark

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

AJ is offline Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Vipers Striker Extraordinaire
    vCash
    I'm still doing this but haven't updated or uploaded anything. Think I'm on my fifth club now; Newcastle (dec 2015), after taking West Brom to the title. Will try to update this afternoon.

vCash
    Well done on knocking off a quick couple of letters there Kingsley and a decent job in Lanus by the sounds of things (a lot better than that Celtic job anyway!).

26. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'm still playing too. I'm still with Zulte in Belgium, missed out on the title which made me lose interest slightly. I'll try to get back on the horse soon!

vCash
    Question: Does winning the World Cup count as a letter?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kengandhi View Post
    Question: Does winning the World Cup count as a letter?
    No. It is only clubs that count, and only the top league in that country.

vCash
    L” is done and “C” is done !

And I already have my next job

Lets start with Lanus, and it wasn't as easy as the statistics would suggest. I joined with 2 games of the season remaining and the club in 15th place. 2 big wins told me that if I sorted out the defense, we would score next season. It also lifted us to 10th, so I was shocked to find that we would have to play a relegation play off against Juventud Unida (SL) from Primera B. I have no idea why we were chosen as we were no where near relegation in either the Close season or the overall league. No point in arguing, we just had to beat them, which we did 5-1 and 1-0. Premera A status secured.

The summer shopping saw 11 players arrive, mainly defenders and 22 leave. I knew I had a good squad, but how good ? The fixtures were not friendly, with some big games to start and a horrible run in of River (A), Racing (H) and Newell's (A). I didn't fancy having to rely on getting anything from that final game, so this was a tough challenge over the other 18 games.

It was a great start as we set off scoring for fun. 4 went past Boca and 6 past San Lorenzo, both of them away games. In fact it was 6 wins on the spin, but those Pesky Newell's were only just behind. Having done well on these tough games we started to drop a few points, and while Newell's couldn't take full advantage, they did go above us for 24 hours on a couple of occasions. It looked to be going down to the wire, but inexplicably, Newell's drew 3 in a row to leave us 5 points clear with a game in hand and just 8 to play. From there, the rest is history and the title was won with a 1-0 win at River and still 2 games to play

For the “C”, we need to go back to my time as manager of Brazil. I had left that job as I was frustrated that the players were continuously under performing and I couldn't find any solution. Atletico Miniero gaffer Leo Conde took over, reinstated all of the old guard (Neymar, Oscar, Coutinho, Douglas Costa) and failed to resolve the problem.

A 3-0 home loss to Uruguay was the final straw. He was sacked and they went for Ze Ricardo, which left the Corinthian's job available, just when I needed it.

It was the perfect job. 4-1 up from the first leg of the Serie A Semi Final it gave me a game to sort out my team before a 2 game playoff for the title. The second leg against Atletico Miniero was not my finest hour. I had dumped the regular keeper and brought in a 19 year old rookie for his first start. He looked great on paper, but had a nightmare. We lost the game 4-2, so we did progress, but it was far from a comfortable last 10 minutes. Fortaleza progressed from the other tie.

The final, we were cruising at 2-0 in the home leg when They got an important away goal, and our captain picked up a yellow card that would see him out of the second leg. Away from home, we had to avoid an early goal, I didn't want to be chasing the game. Instead, we got one ourselves and Sander Ortiz with his 7th of the season will go down in Corinthian's history. With that away goal we shut up shop and saw out the remaining 70 minutes to take the title.

I immediately resigned to give myself a chance of getting a job and luckily Panathinaikos were still looking.

I think that Olympiakos are probably out of reach, but I should have the resources to put up a title challenge next season, and I'm also in a good place if the situation at struggling Xanthi should change.

Despite 4 titles in 12 months, my World reputation has dived to 31st. I might need to get back on the international scene soon.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Another quick fire double mate, Newell's pushed you hard in Argentina but when it came to the crunch they couldn't keep up with you! They don't come much better than that Corinthians job either, I take it the rookie keeper didn't play any part in the final?

Another nice job in Panathinaikos, will you jump ship if that Xanthi job comes up before you win the league with Pana?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I would jump for Xanthi or XV de Pirawhatzit in Brazil if either comes up. Maybe a Q in a top league, (or Partick Thistle who are in a bit of trouble). Other than that, I'll go with Panathinaikos.

Yes the rookie keeper who got the 3 rating was dumped !

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    No. It is only clubs that count, and only the top league in that country.
    Shame, because I've just had the single greatest season I've had in CM01/02.

The 29/30 season started very slowly, picking up far too many draws, but then after messing around with my front 3 (I play 4-1-2-3) I finally hit the right combination and this guy suddenly went into a crazy run of form;

I let you all guess who he's a regen of, but ironically (given his 60-odd games) he was injured for my first cup final of the campaign (the only game he missed) and a young Japanese player stepped up for his debut;

Leaving me with a problem on how to fit Koga into the line-up. But with a bit of changing suddenly I had 2 players averaging over a goal a game and I didn't drop another point all season, which included another domestic cup;

and, on my 3rd attempt, a European trophy;

and, of course, the title;

4 Trophies, but I wasn't finished yet. In September I was fortunate to be made manager of the Country of my birth, England, a tough task, Denmark had won the qualifying group and I was bottom of the 2nd placed teams. Two wins helped get a play-off shot against Scotland and a 6-1 win at Hampden Park, followed by a 1-0 win at Wembley.

The World Cup beckoned, the Centenary World Cup held, fittingly in Uruguay. Defeat to Argentina followed by a 0-0 with Sweden wasn't a great start but Paul Cooper (Jason Puncheon) scored 4 in a 5-1 win against Senegal that fired us into the last 16 where we faced Germany. England have faltered against Germany so may times nadir at World Cups but Paul Cooper scored again in a 3-1 win. 6 goals in 4 games from a winger is phenomenal and set us up for an easy quarter final with Mexico. Breezing past them and into the Semi's where I beat Russia 4-2 (Cooper getting his 8th)

This lead up to the strangest World Cup Final of all time.

Steve Farrell (Peter Crouch) pushed a Brazillian in the chest after 2 minutes and saw red. I was down to 9 men on 48 minutes after a horror tackle from Aaron Booth and typically went 1 down. Then, in a moment of madness, Oliveira dos Santos bought down Colin Nolan in the area and national hero Paul Cooper stepped up and smashed home his 9th of the tournament and taking the Golden Boot with it.

Extra Time passed uneventfully and on we went into penalties. Ben Kelly (Paul Robinson) saved the 2nd Brazillian pen. The big moment came to Port Vale DC Paul Cousins (Dean Hammond), who stepped up and sent a nation into delirium.

But all that's by the by, as only 1 of all that matters. N for NICE gone.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kengandhi For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Spurs next up..... a chance to tick of the T.

They've just finished 16th in the Premier League, so not particularly brilliant, but there is potential in the squad. I'm worried I've left it too late (28th July) to get some decent signings, just have to scrape the barrel and/or hope my old club can loan me a few.

vCash
    Some season (although how many CtrlAltDel to beat the mighty Scotland ?)

I don't expect Spurs will give you too many headaches.

vCash
    It was weird taking over England, loads of aging players getting picked, many at Championship clubs (like Chelsea!). I was even surprised to see a non-regen in there (Jack Butland) despite him having played only 5 league games over 2 seasons.

Yet again I'm questioning the AI for unmanaged clubs because it's as if the previous manager was picking players based on 2015 reputations, with Wayne Rooneys regen in midfield and Peter Crouch's regen up front on his own doing sod all.

I only used 13 players in the World Cup finals, 9 of them were uncapped when I took over.

Spurs will certainly try to sign a few world cup winners. Cooper is top of my list, if only because I know he fits my style of play.

I'll also raid Nice for players. Not for the first time in this challenge I truly regret leaving a club. Easily the best squad I've had of the 13/14 clubs I've managed.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kengandhi For This Useful Post: