Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alphabet Game #2 - October 2016 Data Update

vCash
    The first thing to say about Xanthi after taking over was that they were not going to win the Superleague this season !

I did have 17 days to sort out the squad in preparation for the first game in charge and the mission was boosted by “The small amount of money” being £1.2m. Not a huge amount, but it might be handy, although I planned to save it for the summer and instead bring in free agents and loan players to get out of the current situation. The squad consisted of 34 players, including 5 out on loan and 4 with transfers agreed. There was the maximum of 5 foreign players in the squad.

By bringing a Danish left back back from loan, I managed to find 15 players who were usable. The previous gaffer had splashed the cash and there were 10 new faces expected in January. After looking at them, I got that down to 3 who would make a difference. All of the other deals were canceled. I gthen got down to my own deals and brought in 10 players on free transfers, plus 3 more on loan. Controversially, Aykut Senturk and Robert Raiola were both former Hoffenheim players who I had released in the summer.

My target was to get 7th place, Apollon Smynis were only 5 points ahead of us. A further 5 points to Platanias looked unlikely given the time remaining. I'd also be looking at how well we did compared to Olympiacos and Panathanikos.

I was more than satisfied by the end result

AEK had a total collapse, which is how we managed to get 6th place with something to spare. We did drop a point against Olympiakos, but other than that, we were the best of the rest and we beat Panathanikos, PAOK and Olympiacos in the head to head fixtures. The 4-0 win in Piraeus was one of the best of this career.

So there is still work to be done in the summer, but huge steps have been made and I'm looking forward to the action starting again. For the record, after a dodgy start, Hoffenheim went on to win the Bundesliga and the UEFA Cup.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Mark .... stop farting about and get it sorted. I have my commemorative "Champions" scarf ready to roll out. Losing to Scumdee .... should be shot rather than sacked

vCash
    X” is done.

No major problems on our way to the Greek title with Xanthi.

Infact, I think that this might be a first ever for me

We were the only team to have a 100% record after 3 games. We then played ore 3 biggest challengers one after the other and you kind of knew that the gods were smiling on me.

It all started off with a summer of wheeling and dealing as 13 new faces arrived and 20 left Xanthi. It left us with a relatively small squad, so we didn't even try to compete with Thun in the Europa League qualifying. A team of youths exited with hardly a whimper. At times we were close to not being able to list a bench, especially when 3 of my 4 strikers were out injured, but somehow we managed to get the results, even if a clean sheet was a rare event.

Nothing much on the job horizon, Torino and Hertha BSC are looking dodgy. I nearly took up AaB in Denmark who were only a few points off the title …. until I noticed it was the second tier ! For now I have a cup semi final with Olympiacos to look forward to.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    And it didn't take long to find another club, although it is not exactly a new one.

I was on the brink of talking myself into the Oldham hot-seat. It would have been a 3 year project - Promotion from Championship then 2 years to win the Premier league - when I was stopped at the last minute by a very interesting message.

It had come out of the blue as although things were not going well, last time I checked he was not at any risk. It left just enough time for Xanthi to win the Greek Cup and complete a domestic double before I got the acceptance.

I can'y believe that in 18 months Stramaccioni has had time to ruin my squad that much and at first glance most of it looks intact. I still have Pedro Robles at fullback who will be captain of club and country and the major loss is upfront where there are only 2 strikers on the books, plus a kid. That was never the strong point of the squad I left.

Before I can start to rebuild, there is still a bit of work this season as we need 2 points from the final 2 games to be absolutely clear of relegation.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nice twist to the story
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Nice twist to the story
    And a nice first day in the office

vCash
    BOOM!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

vCash
    Awesome stuff with Xanthi Kingsley, and going back to the Hoff with the squad you left still mostly there. £27.5m to utilise in the summer to bring in one or two strikers, hopefully you'll have more luck getting them than you did initially with them.

Hard luck Mark, you had it in the bag until that collapse in the last 3 games, I'm sure you'll do it next season though and save Kingsley a heart attack, although I don't know how he managed to get a Partick scarf with Champions on

Smashing them leagues with Elgin sunmancisco, are you going to take them all the way to the top or look to move on if possible?

Best of luck in Finland Gilbotron and the same to AJ with Madrid - two very conflicting jobs

vCash
    Madrid was harder than I thought. We lost quite a couple of games, including the CL semi's against PSG. But won the double anyway. And lo and behold! My beloved FC Bayern needed a new manager . I am in Bier und Bratwurstland now.

On a side note, I've managed shit Bosnia for a couple of seasons now. Hard to find any halfdecent players, so we qualified to the World Cup with a decidedly mediocre squad.
    On my scouting trips through the Bosnian lower leagues in search of an RB with speed and toughness, I came across a 17yr old AML. He was by far the best Bosnian I'd seen since Dzeko hung up his boots some 20 years ago. In a team filled with left-footed midfielders he still managed to get a starting place right away. First WC match we play, we play Brazil. My board is hoping for a second round place, so best start in style. We beat the Selecao 2-0, my guy scores twice, gets a 10 and I snap him up for Bayern.
    Next day he damages his spine in training, is out for 9 months and we manage to bow out in a group all tied on points. 3 place not good enough. Sometimes, CM, just sometimes...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sunmancisco For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    3 down 1 to go mate.

Hard luck with Bosnia AJ, got a pic of that kid?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    ' ere you go:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    I am still applying for most of the jobs in most of the top flight leagues (and 'big teams' in lower leagues) but keep getting turned down for managers from non league teams!?

I haven't done an awful lot to Elgin to get them this far and to be honest I didn't think they would climb 3 leagues in 3 seasons. I think I've brought 2 players for 5k and the rest have been free signings and loans. I've played non wib wob from the start. In the last season I did scrap the flat 4-4-2 for a diamond in mid field so I could use a dmc. But I can't see this team going much further. We did have 500k saved up but have had to spend 5 million expanding the stadium and can't attract any decent players.

In other news I have been the manager of Ivory coast for a while now and despite coming 4th in the Africa cup of nations and failing to qualify for the world cup, I haven't been sacked. One recent highlight has been beating England 2-0 in a friendly (maybe that's why I can't get a job in England!)

vCash
    AJ - I assume you just took over Real Madrid for the fun of it? You already had R ticked off with Roma, right?

Good going, sunmancisco. Showing a bit of loyalty to Elgin, like I didn't with Berwick!
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    [QUOTE=Mark;334577]AJ - I assume you just took over Real Madrid for the fun of it? You already had R ticked off with Roma, right? [QUOTE]

nah, just forgot all about it.

vCash
    Oops! At least you don't have F ticked off for Bayern
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash

vCash
    That, I actually checked. No idea why I didnt for Madrid.

vCash
    easy this. What's next?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Hopefully not a letter you've already done

vCash
    Well, C wasn't all that hard. 3 games to go, against nr's 1,3 and 4. Three wins secures another title. Tata Belgium, it was fun!

vCash
    Well that lasted long - that's what she said!

vCash
    she only says that about the period I need to return her calls.

vCash
    OP updated!
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    How much would it cost to send Beyonce round to AJ's ?
    He's getting through this a bit too quickly for my liking and I need something to distract him.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AJ