Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alphabet Game #2 - October 2016 Data Update

vCash
    W” is done and probably the easiest title yet

It has to be said that the Werder team that I inherited was already very good. You don't get 6 points clear in Bundesliga with a pile of dross. I didn't particularly like the keeper or any of the strikers, so a loan from Hoffenheim and a Mexican I had my eye on for a while sorted that. We were close to unbeatable, while the competition from Bayern and Bielefeld just melted away. After 1 game in charge the lead had grown to 9 points. The end pretty much summed up my time in charge. 20 points clear with 8 games to play we played hosts to Nurnberg. It looked to be heading for a stalemate when Alejandro Martins (the Mexican striker) got his 7th in 10 games. Reimann added a second from midfield and we had the 3 points. Bielefeld and Dortmund had to win to keep the title alive. The former drew, the latter lost. We were champions

Incidently …. cracking battle for second place brewing with any of the top 10 in contention.

24 hours later and I had a new job ! I'm not convinced that this will lead to a title, but

a) I have 9 games left to see what the potential is for next season
    b) Anything Mark does I can go 1 better …. He manages Odd, I take over …..

The title is out of the question for this year (8th or maybe 7th might be possible …. I refuse to look the other way), although we have qualified for the DBU Pokalen final, so there is still a chance of Europe.

The squad looks to be OK, better if I pull back the 2 DR who are out on loan, but I don't have a clue on the standard of the Danish Superliga. The big problem I have is that 4 of my first team are leaving in the summer and assuming that the 35 and 36 year olds retire, I will have no goalkeepers. I also have the worst set of coaches that I have ever seen ! The finances are OK and I have £1.1m to spend (won't go very far), but the club has no stadium and play all games at a neutral venue. Not sure how that impacts on the revenue.

As I said, I suspect that something better will come up before Odder win a title, but my work at Werder was done, so it has to be worth a go.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Odder
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Hey guys sorry for not having posted in a while.
    It's being one of those months where I can't find time to do anything other than work, eat and sleep.

Had to do some major recalling in order to put together a report from the previous seasons.

So Elazigspor... We joined with the season already on the promotion playoffs and we were on a strong 1st place, which meant that we needed only not screw up.

The only thing I have on the sticky notes from that season is:
    "We safely secured promotion.
    Lost turkish legend Selçuk Inan as a free agent.
    Renegotiated the insurance on my Clio
    Plus a lot of roster shuffle with ins and outs"

On the second season everything went sort of smooth although I still tried to survey the job market every now and then.
    Our squad was decent for this sort of level and with the extra revenue we got we were able to mount a very serious assault on the promotion to the top flight.

NOT A TOP FLIGHT WIN!

Unfortunately, I didn't have notes of this season so I'm unable to do any clever remarks.

That's all, going to play my next season now!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rapture For This Useful Post:

vCash
    NewJob!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunmancisco For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Boo

vCash
    Good morning guys.
    I had time to play a couple of seasons yesterday and clinch a few titles so here's the first report.

We came into the Turkish top flight after a strong performance in the lower leagues and our healthy financial sheet allowed us for some critical retooling in the competitiveness of our squad.

A few games in and we saw that previous Cinderella champion Malatyaspor was now struggling in last place. We gave them an hand imposing them a 2-1 defeat at their crowd.

We started the season well but the Turkish super league is a whole different beast from it's lower leagues. We were struggling hard to maintain leads.

Apparently one of our biggest investments on the road to the title, Berat Ali Genç, comes from the same mold of Robben, not quality wise I'm afraid. Planning to give him to Arsenal or Dortmund.

One thing I've been noticing is that one of my worse strikers stats wise tends to regularly be my best goal scorer. First I thought it was because of his position in my 4-3-3, but I have been shifting him regularly and he's still the guy netting them. His stats show him as strong finisher with 18 and an average physical guy with 14's to 16's on his physical stats otherwise he's pretty lackluster.

So at the end of the season's first half we were on a strong position with home wins vs Galatasaray, Fenerbahçe and Besiktas!

9 points sure was a sweet lead already but... I was concerned that the future matches against Gala, Fener and Besiktas would all be away from home.

And I was right since, with 2 losses in a row, we were within Fenerbahçe's reach. But a strong away showing 5-1 vs Galatasaray showed we were here to take it!

The new Power 4 in Turkey!

We eventually secured the cup! But most importantly....

TSL CHAMPIONS ELAZIGSPOR!

We were lucky, it seemed as if Fenerbahçe's reached the end of their tank just as they were about to catch us. They compromise almost all the last 10 games. We'll have it!

Next stop

Take care guys.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rapture For This Useful Post:

vCash
    O” is done …. but not with Odder

Bear with me on this, and allegations of “you lucky b*****d” will not be denied

The Odder squad that I inheritted was a bit mediocre, but I managed to put together a squad of 21 who would form my 1st team. 4 of them would be leaving in the summer and there were 10 others in the reserves, with one of them on their way out, a second who would be injured until after his contract ends and was released and a 3rd who I managed to sell on to a US club for immediate revenue. The transfer window was closed and I couldn't even add to what I had with any loans. Despte that we made a decent start, moved away from any relegation and were challenging for the 6th, 7th or 8th positions with 2 games to play.

I had already decided that this was not going to be my club to win a title. The £750 maximum wage made it impossible to even replace the players who were leaving, let alone improve the squad. I had even applied for the Kryija Sovetov vacancy, when on the eve of our home (neutral venue) game with Odense, I received this message.

Odense are a far bigger club with far greater resources and I'd be confident of putting together a title winning squad with them, not that much would need doing. They are on a 15 game unbeaten run that has taken them to 4th place, but just 2 points behind the leaders with 2 games to play. Was it too late to get that job before the final game ? Clearly I would need to resign from Odder as I had't been there for long, but do I resign immediately, or play the match to ensure Odense win, then resign, but leave less time for the Odense board to decide to recruit me. (I am the number 1 in Denmark, so I was confident of getting the job).

I decided to resign immediately. And watched from the stands as Odense extended the unbeaten run to 16 games with a 2-0 win against my former club. It was then a very nervous wait, broken by my rejection of Krylja Sovetov's offer. With time running out, I got the message I had been waiting for ….

Immediate acceptance to find this situation

Normally my first task would be to review the backroom, but for now that could wait. A review of the squad and I had my line up ready for FC Kobenhavn.

We were playing 4-4-1-1 against their 4-3-1-2 and for long periods, their extra man in central midfield was starving us of any possession. Weth our game scoreless, and pretty much no chances created, my Ghanaian defender limped off on the stroke of half time. The good news from Hellerup was that Brondby were leading HIK by a goal to nil. All we had to do was find the way through the Kobenhavn midfield. I made a change to the passing so that the wingers would (in theory) see more of the ball. 58 mins and we made the breakthrough and it came straight down the middle. Friis from central midfield beat a couple of players then set up my Latvian, Arturus Lukosius, to fire into the corner.

Almost immediately we got news of a second goal from Brondby. Now we just had to hang on. I brought on fresh legs to the right wing and we were pressing all over the park. We survived until 9 minutes from time when a lovely passing move split us open and Poulsen capped it off with the equaliser.

Change of striker and all out attack. There was nothing to lose now. Skov, the new man on the right wing crossed and Lukosius met it with a volley which almost burst the net. Another break from Friis and he slipped a pass through to Lukosius … hat-trick …. 3-1. We are the Champions !

I almost didn't play Lukosius as he has the number 13 shirt !

24 hours after joining Odense I resigned and was again unemployed. I reapplied for Kryja Sovetov and didn't get it. There are some interesting jobs on the insecure list, so it will be the waiting game while I watch the World Cup.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'm back in work and quite happy with my new job. It did take a while to get the right one. After being rejected by Krylja Sovetov, both of the Yokohama FM and Yokohama jobs came up almost together and I was offered both. This was a hard decision. “Y” jobs are quite rare, so I was very tempted, but they offered no money for transfers and it would be a massive job, 2.5 seasons minimum, to get either into a title contending state

I have A, K, T, U and Y to go. The first 3 should be quite easy to get a good job, but U and Y are the problems. It prompted me to check all of the leagues to see just how rare these jobs are. I found 13 “U” and 12 “Y”, however many of them were in the Brazilian or Turkish 3rd tier. The only top-flight clubs were Unterhaching, Udinese, Utrecht, U.Madeira, Ulsan and Y. Malatyaspor. I may regret this, but I rejected both of the Yokohama jobs.

KFUM Oslo were atleast top-flight and not out of contact with the Norwegian leaders, but there were no resources and a pretty awful club. I'm sure there will be better K options. Likewise Adana Demirspor. If I am going to take an A, K or T it would need to be a big job with a very strong chance of a title in year 1.

World Cup completed, I applied for about 6 international jobs and got none. Not even Mali or Wales. I think my international career is therefore over, but it has done it's job and my world ranking is still in the top 20.

And then the job that I did accept.

And so I am back for my 4th tilt at the Brazilian title. It may be using up “A” but Avai are a top side and have won 3 out of the last 6 titles. With Brazil being a summer league, I should be able to knock off another letter in 6 months time. It is a large squad, 46 players, so there will be a lot of dross to remove, but there is the makings of a very good side even before spending any of that £7.25m.

That said, I will keep a very close eye on Y. Malatyaspor, which is my number 1 target job.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    It was all going so well for Avai. Thanks to a miserly defense we were 3 points from being guaranteed a play-off place

Then this happens …...

I've not decided what to do, but (assuming Ajax win the game in hand) Utrecht will be 7 points from the lead with 22 games to play.

It is already a very good squad, so with £13.25m to spend in the January window this looks like too good a chance to miss. If I do beat Ajax to the title, it might just make an “A” job available

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    I thought taking over a team that had won the domestic treble for the past two seasons and seemed almost unbeatable would have been an easy job, 6 months max and I'll have another letter ticked off. Rangers had won their last game 5-0, so all I needed to do was use the same players in the same tactics and we would romp to the title...

It wasn't that simple. It seemed the 433 every other team were playing with, was something the players couldn't cope with, the same problem I had at Dundee. So I scrapped the 41212 tactic from the pervious regime and brought in far better players. I was still hampered by the fact that whoever I put in goal suddenly developed a phobia of footballs or getting mud on their shorts or doing anything that would stop the opposition scoring! The only clean sheets recorded were when the opposition failed to get a single shot on target (except one occasion, involving an own goal, when they still managed to score without shooting).

I finally brought in 2 average to decent keepers (my sixth and seventh keepers used in one season) and we were looking solid and slowly climbing up the table. I was happy with the quality of players (on a couple of occasions after a frustrating loss, I compared my players with their opposite numbers and my players were always 'better') although they could have been performing better; scoring more, winning more headers and most importantly providing more assists!

I had finally transformed the team and we were improving, another season and we would be contending for the league again. The board however had other ideas and promptly gave me my marching orders. I can't describe how frustrating this job has been. The most annoying thing is not knowing why the players refused to perform. Although the league position doesn't suggest it, I've left Rangers with a much better team then when I arrived. They'll probably go on to win the league for the next decade... bastards!

I quickly accepted a job with Drogheda. Only after I had found a place for all my 'manager of the months' and 'manager of the year' trophies in my new office, did I realise they were rock bottom and not even in the top league!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sunmancisco For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Thats what happens when you dance with the devil.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!

vCash
    Afternoon all.

Yesterday was my last day off so obviously I wasted it playing a game in which I already have endless thousands of hours in. Need to keep crunching them reports.

So after a great season where we won the double in Turkey, we got an offer from Japan and I needed the money for that DBS I'm eyeing.
    But Jesus I never thought the J1 League had this financial level. I'm paying 15M€ yearly in wages!

For 1st impressions we had a really really deep squad, it was hard to filter all the 50 players. I shopped my roster all year and still couldn't get it to a manageable size.
    For the championship in itself I wasn't sure how the J1 system worked but.... if I wio all the matches I should be safe from what was to come. You'll see that didn't really came to pass.

We won the League Cup. I was on fire with all these results.

Eventually has the matches came and went we couldn't cut the point deficit we had to the first place. But it seems we only needed to make the better 2nd half of the season to have a go at the title! We did just that.

I would like to say it was an hard fought playoff and that in a climatic end we prevailed... But we won 4-1 away and drew 1-1 at home.

Feels great to be 3rd best and still win! J1 League Champions S-Pulse!!!

This could be the start of another great year to come but it wasn't. A series of mistakes plus hubris from my part, that I was more desirable than I really am, led to the most chaotic year of my career.

I accepted an offer from the Irish side Sligo on a misclick since I had an S already!
    Quickly resigned to start a quest in Poland with Rozwój Katowice. Terrible mistake!!! We were dead last in the league with 10 games to go. Nearly 3 million in the red and most of the team was unhappy due to the results or wants to leave. The stadium was a 2 thousand'er and even worse than all that!! Our sports kits were green!!!

I did secure them maintenance on the playoffs but resigned in the end, this was a dead end club.

Then again another mistake on my part since I got an offer which I thought I had previously applied to from NK Belisce (My only requirement was a stadium with 8k seats minimum). I accepted before having a quick peek and on the next day I was leaving with a "sorry, wrong door". Very unprofessional on my part but you know how it goes only scumbags have their own at the game of life.

This was crap!!

After all that I got the only decent proposal so far.

Yes, even if their name was Partak Moscow I would have no use for them :|

After spending the better part of the year on that I finally decided to suck it and go back to the lower leagues.

Just how I like it, a club offer from 7 feet under the Italian leagues. I'd rather play a couple of seasons from down up than clicking continue and apply for job every 2 minutes.
    We had an acceptable stadium with just over 10k seats, but it struggled to provide enough revenues to cover our wages. The roster was really short and we were already 500k on the red. A bit of magic was needed.
    It was really fun, I tried my best to micro manage this squad by bringing youth and selling veterans on the cheap to balance my expenditure sheet without losing too much quality.

Unfortunately I didn't see it through since I got a better offer a bit later.

And that will be the next step on this journey.
    Take care guys.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rapture For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Some jumping about going on there, Rapture! But good to tick off a letter, that puts you joint 5th in the table now
    The Alphabet Game

vCash
    Partak Moscow .... I could almost support them

I hope that you settle down at Crappy ..... sorry ..... I'm not on my story now ..... Carpi and take them to success.

vCash
    It was all fun and games at Valencia as I started life in Spain by losing 14 players when the transfer window opened including their Uruguayan start who joined Barcelona for £11.5M who has a look of Luis Suarez about him. Looking at the team left behind, I quickly made my mind up that they weren't good enough to turn around the fortunes at the Mestalla and transfer listed the lot. Just 7 were moved on though as the majority had been academy players who weren't attracting enough interest. By the end of the season, a total of £42,700,000 had been raised in sales to add to the club's coffers.

Before I made a start on the playing staff, I overhauled the backroom - Hiring 9 new faces that cost just £50,000. I spent a lot of time negotiating for players only to find they weren't interested in joining after all which was a huge blow for those who looked decent players or that they simply wanted too much money. Despite a massive transfer budget, I wasn't able to offer more than £30K for players! This set me back a lot as time was quickly running out to bring new faces in before the dreaded transfer window closed. In the end, I added just 7 new faces to the squad for a combined £11,200,000 - Not quite the big bucks that I had been spending during my time at Man City! Another player also joined in the January transfer window for £3.3M who looked a good prospect. The academy also brought through a whopping 14 players as well. I've never been one to give those players a chance but I kept them in the 'B' team for the time being and made them available on loan. You never know, there may be a starlet or two in there.

To say I had a tough start was probably an understatement. As a lot of the players were ones that had come through the academy prior to my arrival but had barely played, it took a while for me to get a settled team together. We drew the first game but didn't pick up a win until our 6th match. After that, it was usually a case of going winless in two then picking up a win here or there. Fortunately, the board were very patient and my job never seemed in genuine danger despite spending the majority of the season in the bottom half of the table. Halfway through the season, we dipped into the relegation zone but moved out of it to have a comfortable end.

When I say comfortable end, you'd probably scoff at finishing 16th place but we did actually finish 14 points clear of the bottom three. For me, there were encouraging signs in the last few months because we actually enjoyed an unbeaten end to the season of 8 games and only lost twice in our final 14 games.

It says a lot about the quality in the squad that this 20 year old striker only started 16 games and has our best average rating.

These are my 8 signings who joined the club. As you can see, none of them really shone! Carmelo Aira is the lad I signed in the January window who definitely made a difference though at full-back.

Spoiler!

After a season at the wrong end of the table, it won't be surprising to learn my world ranking has dropped from 149th to 180th.

The next season will be a crucial one now. The contracts of eight of the academy players are up so it'll give me a chance to add more bodies in the squad who should be infinitely better. Here's hoping that it leads to a much improved campaign.

The usual statistics:

Code:
    ************************************************************************************************
     Valencia C.F. - Sunday 3rd June 2035
    ************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================
     Squad
    ================================================================================================

No  Name                       Position(s)  Nat  Born      Age  Caps Gls  Wages     Expires   Value
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -   Agirre, Miquel             S C          ESP  10.12.09  25   -    -    £10.75K   6.6.35    £12K      
    3   Aira, Carmelo              D/AM RLC     ESP  12.8.08   26   -    -    £10.5K    20.6.38   £2.3M     
    43  Alfaro, Guillermo          D L          ESP  24.10.13  21   -    -    £425      9.6.36    £350K     
    34  Alfonso, Juan José         D RC         ESP  3.4.15    20   -    -    £575      10.6.36   £750K     
    49  Barrera, Cristian          F LC         ESP  14.2.10   25   -    -    £6.75K    10.6.35   £2M       
    -   Bazán, Joseba              S C          ESP  8.6.13    21   -    -    £425      10.6.36   £220K     
    32  Bonet, Ion                 D R          ESP  12.3.15   20   -    -    £275      19.6.37   £500K     
    48  Borda, Roberto             AM C         ESP  17.11.11  23   -    -    £625      19.6.36   £2.4M     
    1   Caballero, Adrián          GK           ESP  15.5.05   30   -    -    £3.5K     16.6.37   £1.3M     
    44  Caballero, Alfonso         D C          ESP  9.5.15    20   -    -    £275      16.6.37   £400K     
    36  Calero, Ander              D/DM C       ESP  2.11.15   19   -    -    £250      8.6.37    £550K     
    31  Cano, Jonathan             GK           ESP  12.8.06   28   -    -    £23.5K    23.6.37   £725K     
    46  Carnero, Juan Antonio      M L          ESP  28.4.16   19   -    -    £300      11.6.38   £950K     
    38  Caro, Daniel               M L          ESP  21.4.15   20   -    -    £450      28.6.35   £35K      
    41  Castro, Ivan               S C          ESP  6.2.14    21   -    -    £300      26.6.35   £28K      
    40  Crespo, Julen              F RLC        ESP  2.4.15    20   -    -    £220      11.6.38   £1.1M     
    21  Davies, Sam                M C          WAL  22.11.11  23   1    -    £16K      28.6.37   £2.8M     
    15  Foster, Colin              DM LC        NZL  2.7.07    27   4    -    £3.6K     21.6.37   £1.1M     
    42  García García, Rafael      GK           ESP  4.8.12    22   -    -    £1.4K     23.6.37   £375K     
    25  Garrido, Manu              AM RLC       ESP  1.11.17   17   -    -    £425      13.6.38   £1.6M     
    50  Gil, Alejandro             S C          ESP  30.3.14   21   -    -    £400      8.6.37    £1M       
    45  Guardiola, José Ignacio    D C          ESP  1.11.10   24   -    -    £5.25K    9.6.35    £675K     
    18  Higgins, Liam              M RC         ENG  25.2.08   27   -    -    £8K       19.6.37   £1.8M     
    33  Navas, Óscar               S C          ESP  30.3.15   20   -    -    £275      10.6.36   £1.8M     
    29  Ortega, Javi               F C          ESP  29.8.17   17   -    -    £190      3.6.38    £1.7M     
    24  Ortíz, Carlos              F LC         ESP  19.8.17   17   -    -    £375      21.6.37   £825K     
    30  Palacios, Óscar            D R          ESP  19.8.14   20   -    -    £400      11.6.37   £350K     
    47  Pérez, Joel                AM/F RC      ESP  27.1.15   20   -    -    £200      8.6.37    £1.2M     
    16  Pérez, Pedro               DM C         ESP  24.4.10   25   -    -    £4.1K     11.6.41   £1.7M     
    28  Prats, Francesc            M R          ESP  7.1.13    22   -    -    £210      6.6.35    £4K       
    17  Preuß, Oliver              D/DM RC      GER  11.3.04   31   4    -    £5.25K    28.6.37   £1.6M     
    23  Salerno, Giulio            DM C         ITA  16.8.04   30   -    -    £12.5K    25.6.37   £1.3M     
    35  Sánchez García, Guillem    D L          ESP  12.8.14   20   -    -    £4.5K     6.6.36    £1.1M     
    27  Suárez, Antonio Manuel     S C          ESP  15.10.13  21   -    -    £400      16.6.36   £400K     
    37  Suárez, Néstor             D C          ESP  12.11.14  20   -    -    £500      22.6.35   £24K      

2034/5 Senior Club Stats

No  Name                       Apps     Gls    Con    Pens     Asts   Yel    Red    MoM    Av R
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -   Agirre, Miquel             0        0      0      0        0      0      0      0      ----   
    3   Aira, Carmelo              19       1      0      0        1      3      0      0      7.11   
    43  Alfaro, Guillermo          13       1      0      0        0      0      0      0      6.38   
    34  Alfonso, Juan José         28 (1)   1      0      0        0      7      0      0      6.52   
    49  Barrera, Cristian          28 (7)   6      0      0        1      2      0      2      7.03   
    -   Bazán, Joseba              0        0      0      0        0      0      0      0      ----   
    32  Bonet, Ion                 6 (6)    0      0      0        0      2      0      0      6.42   
    48  Borda, Roberto             29 (3)   5      0      0        10     1      0      2      7.13   
    1   Caballero, Adrián          15       0      27     0        0      1      0      0      7.00   
    44  Caballero, Alfonso         21       2      0      0        0      3      0      0      6.48   
    36  Calero, Ander              12 (7)   1      0      0        0      3      1      0      6.21   
    31  Cano, Jonathan             12       0      30     0        0      0      0      0      6.92   
    46  Carnero, Juan Antonio      4 (11)   1      0      0        2      0      0      0      6.60   
    38  Caro, Daniel               4 (3)    1      0      0        1      1      0      0      6.43   
    41  Castro, Ivan               2 (1)    0      0      0        0      0      0      0      6.00   
    40  Crespo, Julen              8 (3)    0      0      0        1      0      0      0      6.55   
    21  Davies, Sam                25 (2)   6      0      1 (1)    4      2      0      1      6.93   
    15  Foster, Colin              12 (1)   2      0      0        5      1      0      1      6.85   
    42  García García, Rafael      13       0      23     0        0      0      0      1      6.85   
    25  Garrido, Manu              12 (5)   7      0      1 (1)    3      0      0      2      7.24   
    50  Gil, Alejandro             8 (2)    3      0      0        1      0      0      0      7.20   
    45  Guardiola, José Ignacio    17 (5)   1      0      0        0      2      0      0      6.45   
    18  Higgins, Liam              15 (3)   3      0      1 (1)    1      4      0      1      6.89   
    33  Navas, Óscar               16 (8)   11     0      0        1      2      0      1      7.29   
    29  Ortega, Javi               12 (5)   7      0      0        2      0      0      1      7.12   
    24  Ortíz, Carlos              6 (5)    0      0      0        1      1      0      0      6.82   
    30  Palacios, Óscar            5 (2)    0      0      0        0      0      0      0      6.14   
    47  Pérez, Joel                15 (5)   2      0      0        5      1      0      1      6.85   
    16  Pérez, Pedro               11       1      0      0        2      1      0      0      6.82   
    28  Prats, Francesc            3 (2)    0      0      0        0      0      0      0      6.20   
    17  Preuß, Oliver              6        0      0      0        0      1      0      0      6.00   
    23  Salerno, Giulio            14 (5)   0      0      0        4      0      0      0      7.05   
    35  Sánchez García, Guillem    24 (4)   1      0      0        2      3      0      0      6.75   
    27  Suárez, Antonio Manuel     0 (3)    0      0      0        0      0      0      0      6.67   
    37  Suárez, Néstor             12 (4)   1      0      0        1      2      0      0      6.44   

2034/5 Transfers

Date      Player In                  From                       Fee
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    12.7.34   Pedro Pérez                Mallorca                   £1.3M     
    17.7.34   Adrián Caballero           Granada B                  £925K     
    22.7.34   Colin Foster               Málaga                     £975K     
    30.7.34   Giulio Salerno             Palermo                    £1.1M     
    20.8.34   Liam Higgins               Birmingham                 £1.4M     
    31.8.34   Oliver Preuß               Wolfsburg                  £1.6M     
    1.9.34    Sam Davies                 Wigan                      £3M       
    23.1.35   Carmelo Aira               Granada                    £3.3M     

Date      Player Out                 To                         Fee
    9.6.34    Enrique Muñoz              Released                   Free      
    16.6.34   Enrique Rubio              Released                   Free      
    1.7.34    Alejandro Alonso           Barcelona                  £11.5M    
    1.7.34    Daniel Sánchez             Sporting Gijón             Bos       
    1.7.34    Alberto Castillo           Córdoba                    Bos       
    1.7.34    Enrique González Expósito  Augsburg                   Bos       
    1.7.34    Rafael Ramírez             Mallorca                   Bos       
    1.7.34    Miguel Campos              UCAM Murcia                Bos       
    1.7.34    Josep Gómez                Huesca                     Bos       
    1.7.34    Iago Miranda               Tenerife                   Bos       
    1.7.34    Jonathan Fuentes           Almería                    Bos       
    1.7.34    Oriol Núñez                Alcoyano                   £550K     
    7.7.34    Víctor Manuel Aspas        Málaga                     £3.1M     
    9.7.34    Francisco Javier Camacho   Betis                      £6M       
    13.7.34   Antonio Sales              Sevilla                    £5.5M     
    13.7.34   Mateo Vílchez              Nàstic                     £2.7M     
    24.7.34   José Ignacio Vicente       Atlanta                    £975K     
    7.8.34    César Carabalí             Peñarol                    £3M       
    8.8.34    Alfonso Campos             Getafe                     £1.1M     
    1.1.35    Ezequiel Otero             Getafe                     £925K     
    2.6.35    Alejandro Prieto           Released                   Free      

2034/5 Fixtures

Date      Opposition                 Ven  Competition                     Res    Attend  Scorers
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    19.8.34   Alcoyano                    A   Friendly                        2:3    5329    Caro, Otero
    27.8.34   Málaga                      A   First Division                  1:1    29187   Calero
    9.9.34    Betis                       H   First Division                  2:4    58948   Borda, Navas
    16.9.34   Atlético Madrid             A   First Division                  0:5    54828   
    24.9.34   Nàstic                      H   First Division                  3:4    51335   Ortega, Davies, Aspas og
    1.10.34   Oviedo                      H   First Division                  0:0    53887   
    15.10.34  Valladolid                  A   First Division                  4:1    25406   Ortega 3, Barrera
    21.10.34  Las Palmas                  H   First Division                  0:2    58962   
    28.10.34  Barcelona                   A   First Division                  4:3    113120  Davies, A.Caballero, Garrido, Alfaro
    5.11.34   Granada                     H   First Division                  1:3    52337   Ortega
    11.11.34  Mallorca                    A   First Division                  0:0    21735   
    19.11.34  Zaragoza                    H   First Division                  4:2    54482   Barrera, Ortega, Prieto pen, Foster
    26.11.34  Sevilla                     A   First Division                  1:3    65411   Bosch og
    9.12.34   Levante                     A   First Division                  1:3    24156   Davies
    13.12.34  Olot                        A   Spanish Cup 1st Rnd             2:1    1484    Borda, Caro
    16.12.34  Sporting Gijón              H   First Division                  2:2    57916   Prieto pen, Davies pen
    26.12.34  Girona                      A   First Division                  5:1    7216    P.Pérez, Gil, N.Suárez, Barrera 2
    30.12.34  Granada B                   H   First Division                  2:3    50737   Borda, Navas
    3.1.35    Zamudio                     A   Spanish Cup 2nd Rnd             1:3    2639    J.Pérez
    7.1.35    Villarreal                  A   First Division                  1:2    23215   Barrera
    14.1.35   Rayo                        H   First Division                  0:3    50904   
    20.1.35   Málaga                      H   First Division                  1:3    52460   Ortega
    27.1.35   Betis                       A   First Division                  4:3    38013   Gil, Davies 2, A.Caballero
    31.1.35   Real Madrid                 H   First Division                  0:2    58989   
    4.2.35    Atlético Madrid             H   First Division                  2:2    58965   Foster, Higgins
    11.2.35   Nàstic                      A   First Division                  2:1    5824    Carnero, Navas
    18.2.35   Oviedo                      A   First Division                  2:3    23147   Navas, Giménez og
    25.2.35   Valladolid                  H   First Division                  0:1    58287   
    4.3.35    Las Palmas                  A   First Division                  2:1    22312   Sánchez García, Navas
    10.3.35   Barcelona                   H   First Division                  0:0    58965   
    18.3.35   Granada                     A   First Division                  1:1    23328   Higgins
    1.4.35    Mallorca                    H   First Division                  4:2    56856   Barrera, Navas, Ramírez og, Alfonso
    8.4.35    Zaragoza                    A   First Division                  2:3    28000   Guardiola, Borda
    14.4.35   Sevilla                     H   First Division                  2:2    58969   Gil, Higgins pen
    21.4.35   Real Madrid                 A   First Division                  2:2    92974   Garrido, Borda
    29.4.35   Levante                     H   First Division                  4:2    58995   Navas 2, Aira, Garrido
    6.5.35    Sporting Gijón              A   First Division                  2:2    25838   M.Garrido, Navas
    13.5.35   Girona                      H   First Division                  2:1    50625   Garrido, Navas
    20.5.35   Granada B                   A   First Division                  1:1    23402   Garrido
    27.5.35   Villarreal                  H   First Division                  1:0    52206   Navas
    3.6.35    Rayo                        A   First Division                  2:2    13230   J.Pérez, Garrido pen
    The Alphabet Game

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Sounds as if you were given a hospital pass with Valencia. With another transfer window to work withand that bit of end of season form, you should have a good chance of getting a decent LaLiga squad together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Some jumping about going on there, Rapture! But good to tick off a letter, that puts you joint 5th in the table now
    All this hopping is tarnishing my resume. I'm getting there one at a time and having helluva fun while doing so

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Partak Moscow .... I could almost support them

I hope that you settle down at Crappy ..... sorry ..... I'm not on my story now ..... Carpi and take them to success.
    You also had a stint with Carpi-Sonne?

vCash
    There was no messing about this season as I sought to improve on last year's 16th place finish. Every player that I had inherited were moved into Valencia B and of the 8 signings that I'd made, 4 stayed in the first team, 2 were moved on and the other 2 were transfer listed and moved into the B team too. My aim was to rebuild the squad entirely and I did just that by signing 28 players! In addition to the aforementioned 2 sold players, another 32 players left the club over the Summer to make way for my new signings. 9 of those had to be released but they were mainly useless graduates anyway.

The difference was incredible. We opened with a 3:2 win against Huesca, were narrowly beaten by Atletico Madrid then beat last year's runner-ups Sevilla 4:3 before doing likewise with Oviedo and picking up a point at Barcelona. After game 7, we moved into the top 5 and never dropped out of it until the final 7 games where we lost a bit of form to ultimately finish 7th. That was frustrating as at one point we were only 4 points behind Real Madrid in 2nd place and 7 points behind Getafe in 1st place but it wasn't to be. For the time being, I'd have to settle for finishing 9 places higher than last year which was the most important thing. I'm not sure if it's enough for European football though. Domestically, we crashed out straight away to Oviedo after I fielded a fringe line-up.

This Czech striker is probably the pick of the bunch of my signings. Only cost £1.6M too! Other players worth a mention are centre midfielder Alan Kovardaev (11 goals in 29 starts) and my star signing from last season impressed too - Carmela Aira. He has 7.35 from 36 starts at full-back.

My rankings have improved slightly, up from 180th to 172nd.

Code:
     Valencia C.F. - Sunday 18th May 2036

Squad

No  Name                       Position(s)  Nat  Born      Age  Caps Gls  Wages     Expires   Value
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3   Aira, Carmelo              D/AM RLC     ESP  12.8.08   27   -    -    £10.5K    20.6.38   £3.7M     
    11  Ángel, Leonardo            AM LC        ESP  6.2.04    32   3    -    £22K      16.6.39   £2.2M     
    29  Bertelli, Nicola           AM RL        ITA  5.1.10    26   1    -    £7.5K     19.6.38   £1.7M     
    8   Black, Craig               M C          ENG  28.10.06  29   -    -    £10K      28.6.38   £2.4M     
    1   Caballero, Adrián          GK           ESP  15.5.05   31   -    -    £3.5K     16.6.37   £1.4M     
    10  Cangini, Denis             F RLC        ITA  7.8.10    25   -    -    £8.25K    11.6.42   £4.4M     
    25  Cano, Israel               D/DM L       ESP  11.9.05   30   -    -    £4.7K     1.6.40    £1.6M     
    5   Coates, Marc               D/M RC       ENG  10.8.08   27   -    -    £9.75K    13.6.42   £1.3M     
    19  Cole, Jeremy               D C          ENG  5.12.10   25   -    -    £4.2K     11.6.38   £1.6M     
    21  Díez, Daniel               AM/F RC      ESP  7.9.11    24   -    -    £13.5K    16.6.42   £2.8M     
    40  García García, Vicente     F RC         ESP  10.7.10   25   -    -    £4.9K     22.6.42   £4.2M     
    22  Giordano, Federico         M C          ITA  23.12.12  23   -    -    £5.75K    9.6.42    £1.2M     
    33  Greene, John               GK           IRL  24.10.03  32   16   -    £18K      5.6.39    £1.9M     
    13  Gurchenkov, Stepan         GK           RUS  24.1.08   28   25   -    £7.75K    7.6.42    £1.6M     
    2   Harrison, Richard          D C          WAL  11.8.11   24   6    1    £7.5K     14.6.38   £1.5M     
    4   Heath, Bob                 D LC         ENG  29.10.12  23   -    -    £3.2K     10.6.42   £1.3M     
    14  Hunter, Terry              S C          ENG  20.3.08   28   -    -    £17.25K   10.6.38   £2.4M     
    15  Kovardaev, Alan            M C          RUS  31.10.13  22   8    2    £8.25K    26.6.38   £4M       
    26  Lago, José Carlos          D/DM C       ESP  22.12.05  30   -    -    £5.75K    26.6.38   £2.1M     
    6   Lamhaf, Oswald             DM C         RWA  25.12.13  22   6    1    £10K      8.6.41    £3.1M     
    12  Loose, Sebastian           D/DM RC      GER  17.1.07   29   -    -    £6.5K     21.6.40   £1.7M     
    27  Lorenzo, Mario             D C          ESP  18.2.09   27   -    -    £8.75K    17.6.38   £1.1M     
    18  McLaughlin, Dave           F RLC        ENG  22.10.11  24   -    -    £13.25K   4.6.41    £2.3M     
    32  Patton, Mark               F LC         NIR  26.12.07  28   45   8    £7.75K    28.6.42   £2.7M     
    17  Preuß, Oliver              D/DM RC      GER  11.3.04   32   4    -    £5.25K    28.6.37   £1M       
    20  Rodríguez, José María      D/DM C       ESP  5.8.07    28   -    -    £7.5K     17.6.42   £2.2M     
    16  Salazar, Ricardo           F RC         VEN  14.7.14   21   11   5    £8.75K    13.6.38   £3.9M     
    23  Salerno, Giulio            DM C         ITA  16.8.04   31   -    -    £12.5K    25.6.37   £600K     
    9   Salinas, Jonathan          S C          ESP  15.4.14   22   -    -    £8.25K    24.6.38   £3.8M     
    30  Santamaría, Íñigo          D/M C        ESP  17.3.09   27   -    -    £10.75K   26.6.41   £1.9M     
    7   Serrano, Santiago          AM R         ESP  23.6.10   25   -    -    £6.75K    28.6.38   £1.8M     
    31  Svoboda, Zdenek            S C          CZE  25.4.10   26   40   12   £11.75K   28.6.42   £4.8M     

2035/6 Senior Club Stats

No  Name                       Apps     Gls    Con    Pens     Asts   Yel    Red    MoM    Av R
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3   Aira, Carmelo              36 (1)   0      0      0        4      5      0      1      7.35   
    11  Ángel, Leonardo            7 (5)    2      0      0        0      0      0      1      6.67   
    29  Bertelli, Nicola           5 (11)   1      0      0        0      1      0      0      6.81   
    8   Black, Craig               9 (1)    2      0      0        4      1      0      1      7.40   
    1   Caballero, Adrián          26 (1)   0      39     0        0      0      0      1      7.19   
    10  Cangini, Denis             31 (2)   4      0      0        7      2      0      1      7.18   
    25  Cano, Israel               23 (2)   1      0      0        0      3      0      1      6.92   
    5   Coates, Marc               9 (2)    0      0      0        0      2      0      0      6.55   
    19  Cole, Jeremy               9 (7)    0      0      0        0      0      0      0      6.56   
    21  Díez, Daniel               7 (5)    3      0      0        1      0      0      1      6.75   
    40  García García, Vicente     21 (1)   9      0      3 (3)    2      1      0      1      7.36   
    22  Giordano, Federico         0 (1)    0      0      0        0      1      0      0      6.00   
    33  Greene, John               12       0      21     0        0      0      0      0      7.08   
    13  Gurchenkov, Stepan         1 (1)    0      4      0        0      0      0      0      6.00   
    2   Harrison, Richard          5 (4)    0      0      0        0      2      0      0      6.67   
    4   Heath, Bob                 7        1      0      0        0      0      1      0      6.57   
    14  Hunter, Terry              2 (2)    1      0      0        0      0      0      0      6.50   
    15  Kovardaev, Alan            29       11     0      0        5      3      0      3      7.45   
    26  Lago, José Carlos          33 (1)   1      0      0        4      8      0      2      7.06   
    6   Lamhaf, Oswald             15 (1)   0      0      0        4      2      1      0      7.13   
    12  Loose, Sebastian           21       0      0      0        2      3      0      0      6.62   
    27  Lorenzo, Mario             4 (1)    1      0      0        0      2      0      0      6.20   
    18  McLaughlin, Dave           5        0      0      0        0      0      0      0      6.40   
    32  Patton, Mark               14 (5)   7      0      0        4      0      0      1      7.21   
    17  Preuß, Oliver              1        0      0      0        0      0      0      0      5.00   
    20  Rodríguez, José María      18 (3)   0      0      0        2      3      0      0      7.00   
    16  Salazar, Ricardo           23 (1)   5      0      1 (1)    4      0      0      0      7.17   
    23  Salerno, Giulio            12 (3)   0      0      0        2      1      0      0      6.87   
    9   Salinas, Jonathan          9 (4)    5      0      0        1      2      0      0      7.23   
    30  Santamaría, Íñigo          3 (7)    0      0      0        2      0      0      0      6.50   
    7   Serrano, Santiago          7 (2)    2      0      0        0      0      1      0      6.89   
    31  Svoboda, Zdenek            25 (1)   15     0      5 (2)    2      3      0      2      7.54   

2035/6 Transfers

Date      Player In                  From                       Fee
    1.7.35    Richard Harrison           Crawley                    £1.5M     
    1.7.35    Alan Kovardaev             Nàstic                     £2.8M     
    1.7.35    Íñigo Santamaría           Nàstic                     £1.3M     
    6.7.35    John Greene                Arsenal                    £1.2M     
    10.7.35   Federico Giordano          Inter                      £800K     
    12.7.35   Jeremy Cole                Portsmouth                 £2.7M     
    12.7.35   Denis Cangini              Atalanta                   £2.1M     
    14.7.35   Ricardo Salazar            Pisa                       £3.1M     
    15.7.35   Marc Coates                Liverpool                  £1.1M     
    17.7.35   Leonardo Ángel             Zaragoza                   £3.2M     
    17.7.35   Daniel Díez                Valladolid                 £1.6M     
    19.7.35   José María Rodríguez       Granada B                  £1M       
    23.7.35   Sebastian Loose            Leverkusen                 £1.8M     
    25.7.35   Jonathan Salinas           Getafe                     £1.5M     
    28.7.35   José Carlos Lago           Zaragoza                   £2M       
    29.7.35   Santiago Serrano           Mallorca                   £1.5M     
    30.7.35   Mark Patton                Stoke                      £2.3M     
    2.8.35    Israel Cano                Mallorca                   £1M       
    3.8.35    Craig Black                Stevenage                  £900K     
    5.8.35    Dave McLaughlin            Man Utd                    £1.5M     
    9.8.35    Stepan Gurchenkov          Luch-Energia               £1.2M     
    9.8.35    Oswald Lamhaf              AlbinoLeffe                £2M       
    11.8.35   Bob Heath                  Doncaster                  £900K     
    12.8.35   Terry Hunter               Portsmouth                 £4.2M     
    18.8.35   Mario Lorenzo              Granada B                  £3.7M     
    20.8.35   Nicola Bertelli            Inter                      £2.1M     
    25.8.35   Vicente García García      Granada B                  £2.2M     
    31.8.35   Zdenek Svoboda             AlbinoLeffe                £1.6M     

Date      Player Out                 To                         Fee
    2.6.35    Alejandro Prieto           Released                   Free      
    6.6.35    Francesc Prats             Released                   Free      
    10.6.35   José Ignacio Guardiola     Released                   Free      
    23.6.35   Juan Ramón Rosa            Released                   Free      
    23.6.35   Igor García Ruiz           Released                   Free      
    23.6.35   Gerard Molina              Released                   Free      
    26.6.35   Ivan Castro                Released                   Free      
    1.7.35    Cristian Barrera           Córdoba                    Bos       
    1.7.35    Miquel Agirre              Granada B                  Bos       
    1.7.35    Néstor Suárez              Jaén                       Bos       
    1.7.35    Daniel Caro                Arandina                   Bos       
    1.7.35    Sam Davies                 Man City                   £4.6M     
    16.7.35   Liam Higgins               Port Vale                  £2M       
    18.7.35   Gaspar Gordillo            Released                   Free      
    23.7.35   Joseba Bazán               Released                   Free      
    23.7.35   Carlos Ortíz               Belgrano (SR)              £825K     
    28.7.35   Guillermo Alfaro           Celik Zenica               £325K     
    28.7.35   Juan José Benito           Released                   Free      
    29.7.35   Ander Calero               Napoli                     £575K     
    30.7.35   Diego García               Toluca                     £325K     
    3.8.35    Alejandro Camino           Released                   Free      
    5.8.35    Óscar Palacios             Released                   Free      
    9.8.35    Antonio Manuel Suárez      Released                   Free      
    9.8.35    Rafael García García       Released                   Free      
    11.8.35   Albert Rodríguez           Released                   Free      
    12.8.35   Alfonso Caballero          Released                   Free      
    18.8.35   Javier Apraiz              Released                   Free      
    20.8.35   Francisco Molina           Released                   Free      
    25.8.35   Ion Bonet                  Released                   Free      
    29.8.35   Jonathan Cano              Córdoba                    £975K     
    18.10.35  Borja Simón                Pumas                      £325K     
    1.1.36    Óscar Navas                At. Baleares               £875K     
    1.1.36    Guillem Sánchez García     Mallorca                   £725K     
    29.3.36   Juanjo Miranda             Toluca                     £425K     

2035/6 Fixtures

Date      Opposition                 Ven  Competition                     Res    Attend  Scorers
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    12.8.35   Real Sociedad               H   Friendly                        4:1    30720   Kovardaev 2, Cangini, Salinas
    16.8.35   Alcoyano                    H   Friendly                        4:2    24102   Kovardaev, Cangini, McLaughlin 2
    19.8.35   Huesca                      H   First Division                  3:2    51212   Cangini, Kovardaev, Salazar pen
    9.9.35    Atlético Madrid             H   First Division                  0:1    58983   
    15.9.35   Sevilla                     A   First Division                  4:3    65412   Salinas 2, Cangini, Black
    23.9.35   Oviedo                      H   First Division                  3:2    51621   Black, Cangini, Salinas
    29.9.35   Barcelona                   A   First Division                  1:1    108020  Ramos og
    14.10.35  Granada B                   A   First Division                  2:3    23378   Lorenzo, Svoboda
    17.10.35  Valladolid                  H   First Division                  4:1    56812   Svoboda 3 (1 pen), Bertelli
    20.10.35  Getafe                      A   First Division                  1:3    2836    Svoboda
    24.10.35  Badalona                    A   First Division                  3:2    3135    Serrano, Salazar, Kovardaev
    28.10.35  Villarreal                  H   First Division                  3:3    52859   L.Ángel 2, Svoboda
    4.11.35   Granada                     A   First Division                  1:0    26975   Svoboda
    18.11.35  Nàstic                      H   First Division                  2:1    51341   Heath, Patton
    24.11.35  Real Madrid                 A   First Division                  2:3    89833   Svoboda 2
    2.12.35   Betis                       H   First Division                  1:1    58975   Serrano
    9.12.35   Sporting Gijón              A   First Division                  1:0    25865   Cano
    12.12.35  Oviedo                      H   Spanish Cup 1st Rnd             1:3    50714   Patton
    16.12.35  Zaragoza                    H   First Division                  1:2    52799   Svoboda pen
    23.12.35  Las Palmas                  A   First Division                  1:0    26658   Kovardaev
    6.1.36    Málaga                      A   First Division                  1:2    31509   Svoboda
    13.1.36   Huesca                      A   First Division                  2:1    2685    Cangini, Díez
    20.1.36   Badalona                    H   First Division                  5:1    50676   García García pen, Kovardaev, Lago, Svoboda, Díez
    23.1.36   Mallorca                    H   First Division                  1:5    51805   García García
    26.1.36   Atlético Madrid             A   First Division                  1:1    54845   Kovardaev
    3.2.36    Sevilla                     H   First Division                  1:1    58961   Svoboda
    9.2.36    Oviedo                      A   First Division                  1:0    23142   Svoboda
    16.2.36   Barcelona                   H   First Division                  3:1    58998   Patton 2, García García pen
    24.2.36   Granada B                   H   First Division                  3:0    50936   Patton, Svoboda, Kovardaev
    2.3.36    Valladolid                  A   First Division                  1:3    25943   García García
    8.3.36    Getafe                      H   First Division                  1:1    51362   García García pen
    16.3.36   Villarreal                  A   First Division                  1:2    24987   Patton
    26.3.36   Granada                     H   First Division                  1:1    50819   Kovardaev
    30.3.36   Nàstic                      A   First Division                  2:2    12230   Salazar, Salinas
    6.4.36    Real Madrid                 H   First Division                  2:2    58960   García García, Salinas
    12.4.36   Betis                       A   First Division                  5:2    47671   García García, Kovardaev 3, Patton
    20.4.36   Sporting Gijón              H   First Division                  3:3    58273   García García, Kovardaev, Díez
    27.4.36   Zaragoza                    A   First Division                  0:0    29138   
    3.5.36    Las Palmas                  H   First Division                  1:1    58966   Salazar
    10.5.36   Mallorca                    A   First Division                  1:3    21712   García García
    18.5.36   Málaga                      H   First Division                  2:1    55550   Salazar, Hunter
    The Alphabet Game

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    U” is done ….

And I'm back in the international scene

The decision to goto Utrecht was a no-brainer. I may have been just a few weeks from a Brazilian title with Avai, but “A” jobs are 10 a penny. To get a “U” job in a position where they could challenge for the title this season couldn't be turned down

The squad I inherited had a decent first team, but very little depth, no more so than in goal. There were 5 keepers, 3 spotty kids who were of no use to anyone. They were released. A lad who was out on loan and couldn't be recalled, and was not much use anyway, and a current member of the Dutch international squad ! It does however feel just wrong to be playing Cruyff in goal !

Fortunately the previous gaffer had started to address this and there was a decent keeper arriving from Dordrecht in January. I had 7 games to survive with the current squad before I could add my own men. I desperately wanted a better striker as the ones I had were of the technical, skilful type and I do like a big bruiser who knows where the back of the net is.

It's a funny old game.

I picked up the reigns 5 points behind VVV and 4 from Ajax who had played a game less. My target was to be no more than 7 points from Ajax at the start of the winter break. With my own men, I was sure that I could recover that, but much more might be difficult. As it turned out, we were only 2 points from the lead, all having played 17 games, but not behind Ajax. It was Feyenoord who had recorded 6 straight wins, while all contenders had taken points from each other. We had beaten both VVV and Ajax, plus an excellent win at PSV where we found ourselves a goal and a man down.

A clear out of the dross, a couple of keepers and some squad additions, some starters, others as back-up and I had my title chasing squad assembled. The key signing was a 20 year old Argentine that I had wanted to get for Avai but didn't have any foreign player places available before the transfer window closed. Avai's loss is Utrechts gain and for £750k I have possibly the greatest goal machine yet.

He scored in every game that he started and that tally does not include any penalties. He finished just 1 behind the leagues top scorer for the season !

The second half started with a top of the table clash at Feyenoord where Saucedo got a first half brace on his debut to take the points. It was the start of a collapse from Feyenoord who quickly dropped out of the chase. That was left to Herenveen and Emmen, who both failed to sustain their challenge, along with Ajax who recovered from their bad run upto the break. They caught us with 5 games to play although goal difference kept us on top. This was going down to the wire as neither side blinked, until the penultimate round of games. PSV came from behind to beat Ajax 2-1 in Amsterdam while we thumped AZ 3-0. It would have needed a phenomenal turn around of goal difference for Ajax to overtake us in the final game, but we did still need a point at PSV before the champagne could be uncorked. We took no chances and raced to a 3-0 halftime lead. Saucedo's second of the game made it 4-0 and although PSV got a late consolation, there was nothing that Ajax could do. Utrecht were the champions !

I was immediately alerted to one potential job vacancy

But I decided to resign for now. Utrecht had done there job and I had my international career to concentrate on until something crops up. I will have a close eye on the final round of games in Turkey.

That international job is with the Czech Republic. I'm not sure why Lubos Kozel was sacked as they were in a good position in Euro qualifying and hadn't played a game for 4 months. I'm equally unsure as to why I accepted, other than I was pisssed off that I hadn't been offered any of the last 10 international jobs I had applied for. Anyway I am the Czech manager for now and we have recorded back to back wins against Estonia and Wales to move to the top of the qualifying group. We are now on a record 8 games unbeaten.

It's Malta next, then the showdown with France in September

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mark, That is good progress with Valencia. The same improvement for next season should get you a big title. 18 points is not a huge gap to make up if you can sort out that defence. The 71 goals scored is impresive, but 61 conceded

vCash
    Needless to say my reign at Drogheda did not last long. After just a handful of competitive games it was obviously going to take a lot of time and effort to turn this team around and I'm only interested in winning those leagues! There were job opportunities at Dundee (a possible prodigal son returning scenario?) and Celtic but both turned me down, my reputation in Scotland must be in tatters! Revenge would have to wait. So when Cardiff decided they needed a new man in charge, who better than me?! (there's about 967 other people better than me apparently... but I still got the job!)

They were sitting in 7th place in the 2nd division with just over 7 million for transfers. They have a massive stadium and some really decent looking attacking players.

I was determined not to repeat the tactical disaster in Scotland and "if you can't beat them, join them". The stone age 442 shall be banished from our memories and never spoken of again under pain of rotting in the reserves and we will adopt the 433 that everyone else plays, with a we're gonna score one more than you mentality

Despite the previous gaffer recently spending a couple million on defenders, everyone at the back is mediocre at best. I did find a couple of promising youngsters in the reserves who went straight into the first team. I also brought in a centre back from the Scottish club (which shall forever be referred to like this), who they deemed surplus to requirements and loaned in another promising CB for the promotion push. There are 2 spotty teenagers competing between the sticks. Both are prone to the odd erratic display but there's no body any better willing to join so they will do... for now.

Luckily Celtic won the league by 3 whole points! and I'm not the kind to hold grudges anyway!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to sunmancisco For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    sunmancisco. I've very pleased to see that you have learned the error of your ways. Cardiff sounds like a decent gig and I am expecting to see some big scores as you work through the leagues.

vCash
    Surprised you didn't stick it out at Drogheda, it's a good place to get going with the Irish leagues to build up your rep in the UK. It's where it all started for me anyway
    The Alphabet Game

AJ is offline Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Vipers Striker Extraordinaire
    vCash
    Finished my Kaiserlautern mission with ease. Of course the CPU had my unbeatable team lose a game to some random bottom side, but apart from that it was a breeze. Took over at Genoa, won three games and ended up 9th. Transferlisted each and every dud, including the three star players who all the need for a new challenge. Everyone upset but I didnt care. THEN I read we need to play playoff games. We may have a problem

Will provide screenshots tonight.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

AMC