Thread: The Alphabet Game #2 - October 2016 Data Update

vCash

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sunmancisco For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Done with style .... but am I allowed to say "Come On Accy"
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    Short and not very sweet might describe my time at Spurs.

Starting with the backroom where I found no assistant, 2 coaches and no physios. Neither coach, nor the scouts were up to much, so I sacked the lot and brought in an entire team. A bit of hassle, but you expect to have to do some work on the backroom. The bigger problem was the squad. I had huge problems recruiting anyone of the quality that I wanted. Clubs were wanting ridiculous amounts and even if I was willing to pay, the player would then want a minimum fee clause of half what I was paying . forget it. Others wouldn't join without European football or would fail to get a work permit despite having over 20 caps. In the end I brought in 9 players for a total outlay of just 12.5m. Going out, 22 players left with less than 3m in sales. It wasn't a great squad, but it should have been good enough to be in contention when the January window opened.

Then it started. First it was Toni Schwartz who decided he was homesick. He had only been in London for 2 years before deciding that 2 weeks after I join. He was joined by 12.5m summer signing (by my predecessor) Juan Carlos Perez, who asked for a transfer and when I rejected the request (before he had even played for Spurs) he went AWOL. This pissed off the rest of the squad who were all unhappy and I was not able to offer new contracts to the ones expiring in 12 months until I got rid of Perez. To top off a miserable pre-season, I lost 4 key players to injury before we went to Bolton and lost our league opener.

I really hate this squad.

My tenure at Tottenham was cut short after just 5 mediocre games. I was about to name my squad for the League Cup tie with Forrest Green when a regular look at the jobs available spotted this

I didn't hang around. I'd not been at Spurs for long, so I resigned before applying. 6 days later and I get my reply

20m to spend and well placed to challenge .. Hold me back !

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Fair play, got to take a better job if it's on offer. Sounds like a nightmare at Spurs!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Just caught up, great going guys, I really want to join you on this but don't have the time unfortunately so I'll have to live vicariously through your stories

vCash
    A few shrewd signings in the transfer window. Including 2 experienced centre backs a whole new midfield (one player who was at the Scottish club at the same time I was and the board told me to sell him!
    Spoiler!
    ) and the goalkeeper who nearly saved my job at the Scottish club. Pre season went well!
    Spoiler!

Our quality saw us quickly to the top of the league. We went to 2nd place Portsmouth and were winning 1-0 until my influential new centre back went off injured in the 80th minute
    Spoiler!

I decided to play a full strength team in the cup to test us against premiership opposition (something I wouldn't normally do)
    Spoiler!

Final position:
    Spoiler!

A nice little win
    Cardiff answer to messi?
    Last edited by sunmancisco; 08-03-17 at 06:05 PM.

vCash
    Final position? The anticipation!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

vCash
    I bet you don't beat all Premier League clubs 9-1 next season :-)

What happened to Accy ?

AJ is offline Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Vipers Striker Extraordinaire
    vCash

as promised.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Final position? The anticipation!
    I had unbelievable lap top troubles! got there in the end though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    I bet you don't beat all Premier League clubs 9-1 next season :-)

What happened to Accy ?
    You never know, I've brought in a couple tasty looking strikers!

I'm afraid they might have been relegated, I'll have a look if I get a chance, when I get home.

vCash
    After the debacle of Spurs, I was looking forward to an easier ride at Yeni Malatyaspor. As it turned out, Yeni were not exactly the dream ticket. I had to do quite a bit of work on the backroom, but that was not unexpected and quickly resolved. When it came to the squad it was a mystery how this lot ever got to 7th in the league.

The squad totaled 25 players, including the maximum allowed 11 foreign players. I had 2 35 year-olds who's legs were gone and 4 kids who were not ready for 1st team action. My Algerian goalkeeper had probably seen better days, but perhaps not. You don't want to see how bad the other 2 are !

The only right back, who looks more like a winger, has a long history of injury problems. It's not much better on the wings where I have a very good Russian AM RLC (to be honest, he is too good for this team) but the only backup are kids, 35 year-olds or guys who I needed as fullbacks. My star South African striker was currently injured, something that he appeared used to.

There was a lot of work to be done .. but the transfer window was closed and I couldn't even bring in players on loan. I would have to struggle on for the next 11 games with what I had. My target was to stay within 10 points of the leaders at the break. Recovering that should be possible in the remaining 17 games.

I started off with my favoured 4-4-2 formation and a 2-0 win against Ankoragucu in my first game made me think it might not be too bad. Then a huge cock-up ! I had transfer listed several player that were surplus to requirements, including my rightback. I got an offer of 2.3m from Tigres which I accepted and confirmed before realising that they were Mexican and therefore had no transfer window and it would be immediate. I now had a squad of 24 and no right back at all. I switched to a 3-1-4-2 (occasionally 3-1-4-1-1) for the remaining games with very mixed results. It wasn't helped by the South African needing 3 weeks to recover after every game. He was added to the transfer list !

It was enough to hang onto 7th place, but we had dropped 14 points behind the leaders.

On the positive, we were still in the Turkiye Kupasi and I could now bring in some new faces. The revised target for the season was European qualification which should help the summer recruitment. However January saw 9 out, including the South African and both 35 year-olds, generating 13m. 10 new faces arrived on permanent deals, plus an additional 2 goalkeepers on loans. The permanents included a striker that I had at Avai and a Turkish U21 keeper who I had high hopes for. I was down to 9 foreigners. It was a much better balanced squad and I could revert to my 4-4-2 for the remaining games with atleast 2 men for every position. Helped by a very favourable draw which saw us at home in ever round, we made it to the Kupasi final where we powered past K. Erciyesspor. It was a particularly good reaction to the injustice of being reduced to 10 men.

So, the European qualification was confirmed, but what could we do about the league ? The answer . not quite enough

It looked like we were going to get very close, and as one point closed to within 3 points, but injuries and suspensions to key players showed that we just don't quite have the depth to mount a challenge. With 28m to spend and 37m in the bank, I intend on addressing that in the summer. I have already captured 2 of the most exciting young talents in Turkey.

With Czech Republic, qualification for the Euros in Spain was confirmed with a little help from a referee wanting to make a name for himself

They were the only shots on target. We are now on a 15 match unbeaten run (7 before I joined). Belgium, Germany and Switzerland won't be looking forward to facing us.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Unlucky in the end there mate, but now with a full season ahead of you and more time to fine tune that squad I expect a landslide win next year

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    What happened to Accy ?
    We put 3 past them home and away and still won the 2nd game without a keeper
    Spoiler!

And this is where they finished
    Spoiler!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sunmancisco For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I have finally managed to get myself some game time and the results have been pretty pleasing.

So Thats 'H' in the bag.

One thing I will be pleased to leave behind is this god awful Batten-burg away kit.

So looking for my next job and next letter. Only 24 to go.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newboy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Unlucky in the end there mate, but now with a full season ahead of you and more time to fine tune that squad I expect a landslide win next year
    You have discovered my cunning plan

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Newboy ... Walked it in the end. Onwards and upwards

VIP
    vCash
    took over the USA job, joined from the Czechs. Game crashes. Fuck.

VIP
    vCash
    Something to do with key nation .621. Anyone?

If not, I'll submit what I've done so far and will accept the fact I did not "win" this time.

vCash
    Do you not have an earlier save mate? Or can ya holiday past it?

vCash
    Moral dilemma: Chelsea have offered me the position of manager. Obviously the same letter as Cardiff who sit 3rd in the premiership after being the first team to inflict a defeat on the unbeatable Arsenal.

vCash
    Congrats Newboy - Added Hearts to the OP for you

AJ - Hope it's not wrecked! Does it come up in-game? Any way of holidaying past it? Could try downloading GK Editor and doing a repair to save file with it?

sunmancisco - Depends how far behind the top you are and how long left of the season? If Chelsea are up there and have a pocket load of cash, it'd be a no brainer for me.
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    That's a bummer. Must be something to do with that international job change. Like AMC, all I can sugest is going back to an old save

vCash
    After finishing 16th in my first year at Valencia, I was delighted with the improvement in finishing 7th the following year but Kingsley was right, conceding 61 goals in those 38 games wasn't impressive reading. The aim this year was to try and improve the defence which explains why we signed 4 new defenders along with a goalkeeper and two defensive midfielders and a striker. The players who hadn't impressed me were transfer listed and relegated to Valencia's B squad, with 16 players also leaving us.

We started the season off very early, playing Burghausen in the Inter-Toto Cup on the 5th July. Throughout the competition, I wasn't able to field my best team, instead just picking whoever was the most fit on match day! Burghausen were beaten 2:0 on aggregate though, as were Aktobe in the second round, overturning a 2:1 defeat at home to win 2:0 away. Sevilla were then the opponents in the semi final but despite winning the first leg at home 2:1, we lost 1:0 to allow them to go through to the final on away goals.

I took one thing out of this, that my players were now match fit as pretty much everyone got some game time. I think that's why we started the league so well, beating Granada 5:2 and Badalona 1:0. But then came an alarming run of games in which we won just once in six games which included an embarrassing 6:2 defeat by Barcelona. To top it off, we also lost to Jaen in the first round of the Spanish Cup, losing by penalties after a 3:3 draw.

Thankfully, we picked things up after that, enjoying a run of only 2 defeats in 12 games that included a vital win over Real Madrid. We'd fought back up to 3rd in the table and were only 3 points behind Barcelona and Real Madid at the top two. But then came another poor run of form and too many draws. We won only 4 matches in 12 games and dropped back down to 7th.

That had put any hopes of a title win out of the window. Instead, the focus became about beating last year's 7th place finish and point haul of 60 points just to show that things had improved. The last 8 games yielded 5 wins including another win over Real Madrid who ultimately won the table. I'd achieved our target at last by finishing 5th and earning 64 points. That record of conceding 61 goals last year had also been improved on as we only shipped 49 goals. It was the other end of the pitch that was a problem though as we'd scored 71 last season but only 61 this year.

With that in mind, it'll be no surprise to see that it's our new goalkeeper that started 22 games this season who got our highest average rating!

The attacking side of the team have certainly been a disappointment. In fact, I've only been impressed with 13 players this season which suggests that it'll be a busy Summer.

As for my rankings, I've dropped down 5 places into 177th.
    The Alphabet Game #3

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

VIP
    vCash
    Dont have an earlier save. I'll try holidaying, good shout.

vCash
    Worth trying Marks suggestion of the GK editor repair data (its a little cog wheel on the bottom left)