Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: The Alphabet Game - October 2016 Data Update

vCash
    Of course, anyone can join in
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Of course, anyone can join in
    Great news, thanks!

The reason I wanted to join this challenge was to play in leagues other than the top 4. I never did that before because of the temptation to manage the well known clubs and players was too much to resist. This challenge gave me a very good reason to do that. I know the top 4 leagues are not out of the scope here but I think I'll try to avoid them if I can. Looking forward to playing in countries like Brasil, Japan, Australia, Finland, etc.

I have a question/problem though. When starting a new game, it is recommended in the first post to not select Wales ("so that NPL does not appear in game" - please forgive my ignorance but what is that?). The question/problem is that I don't have a Wales option in the start. There are 25 different leagues but no Wales. I thought ok I don't have to face that Wales thing anyway so I started the game after selecting all leagues but only to find Wales present when I started looking in the job section!! How is that possible and how do I correct it?

I have the 3.9.68 version with Tapani 2.21.1+ v2 and the October Data update installed on Windows 7

vCash
    This is because with the Tapani patch the Welsh league is replaced by the English Northern Premier League (the tier below Conference).
    With Wales selected but not the english Conference you can end up at a bottom tier club with no chance of promotion if you don't pay attention. It's easily solved by not taking jobs in Conference North or by finding a new job if you end up there by mistake. Nothing more dangerous than that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

KL1

vCash
    Ah, I see. Thank you for the info.

So there's no problem then. I didn't select any of the lower leagues, as per the suggestion in the first post, so I can still play in Wales and win the league there.

Anyway, I applied for Galway United in the Irish Premier League and also in International Turku in the Finnish Premier Division (they would be the "I" because in the table they are displayed as Inter Turku). Let's see who is the 'lucky' club that accepts a virtual unknown as their manager

By the way, although the game starts in July 2015, the Finnish league is already mid season or so (Day 13 of 33). Inter Turku are 9th at the moment (from 12 teams), but mathematically they can still win the league. If I get hired and say I win the league with them, does this count towards the challenge (meaning the "I" is done) or do I have to manage the team for a full season?

vCash
    You won't be able to play in Wales at all as the Welsh league isn't in the game. The cup competitions are still in the game and it's shown in the job info thing since only the league is replaced with another. Whether you select the lower leagues in England or not doesn't make a difference for that, I'm afraid.

Winning with Inter Turku should count, as long as you win the top league in a country it doesn't matter how long you stay at the club.
    Good luck with the game!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

KL1

vCash
    KL1 the only comment I would add is that we are expecting a new data update to be released soon, and that will probably start a new Alphabet Game. You might want to hold off until then, or make a start now to see if you enjoy it then dump it if/when the new game starts.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    @Pegster
    Ok then, no Wales adventure on the horizon
    Again thanks for the info.

@Kingsley
    Interesting point. Although I'm not sure it would make much of a difference in my case because I chose to play with no 'Real Players' anyway. Didn't want the distraction and temptation of following the top 4, specially in the first season.

My game didn't have the best of starts actually. I was so naive and thought I'd get picked up to manage any team I want, haha. Got turned down by Galway and Turku and all other clubs playing in the top tier. I realize now that I need to build a reputation first to be eligible for that. So I applied to any team available and the one who responded was a club in third division in Scotland called Berwick Rangers. The board want me to fight relegation, and for a good reason. What a mess of a club it is! No money, actually after just 2 month finances is already in the red. Had to sell 2 star players. Players listed for loan refuse my offers (both the players and their clubs themselves!). Horrible Training staff that has most of my players with red attributes already. The players at that level are understandably mediocre, but they still perform somehow. I mean I have a player with creativity 4 and passing 5 and crossing 3 who already have 2 assists It was hilarious when we played in a cup game against a Premier club away and ended up losing on penalties after a 0-0 draw and guess who was the hero of the game. Yes, my GK.

I finally did what those small teams used to do to me in the top level, hahaha. It's even more hilarious as I only chose my 19 year old GK for this match because I knew we would lose bad and didn't want my main GK to suffer the humiliation. You might ask, then why not play the 19 year old as my main GK since he's that good. Well, here he is.

This is obviously not going to be for long term, but I think I will stick with it for some time. At least until the new Alphabet game starts. Since this is the first time for me to play at that level, it's a huge experience for me personally and a totally new side for this game that I never new existed!
    Last edited by KL1; Yesterday at 01:33 PM. Reason: Embedding images.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KL1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    How do you guys embed photos around here?
    Upload them to an external image hosting site (I tend to use postimage), then copy the image address from there and use image tags ([ img]imageaddressgoeshere[ /img] (remove the spaces)) to put it into your post.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

KL1

vCash
    T” is done …. Mission accomplished !

It was pretty easy in the end, although the mission did fizzle out like a damp squib. The Tondela squad I inherited was pretty decent and probably good enough to win the league without any changes. The only slightly dodgy positions were goal keeper and striker, easy enough to sort with a Brazilian that I had previously been watching, and a Cape Verdean attacker who was out of favour at Aarau. Just to be safe, I improved the depth with 6 others, including D R/L Kai Schmuck who I was signing for a 3rd time (Hoofenheim, Utrecht and Tondela). The total spent was just over £3m. This was ofset by 14 players being sold/released which brough in £500k after contract terminations were sorted. As is the normal, I needed a major overhaul of the backroom.

It left me with a very attacking squad. Most of the midfielders were AM/F and since I was a bit bored of my usual 44-2 or 4-4-1-1, I decided to have a bit of fun with a 4-2-3-1 that I haven't used for years. My argument was that I could easily revert to 4-4-1-1 if it wasn't working

It worked. In my first 5 games, I had 2 4 goal hauls and one of 6 goals ! It was so good that I never failed to score and never let in more than 1 in my first 31 games. The league very quickly became a top 5 with us leading the way from Pacos de Ferreira and Os Três Grandes. Going into December it was just goal difference at the top and the turning point was a press release saying that “Nothing could stop” Pacos from winning the league. They promptly lost their next 2 which left Porto as the closest challengers at the turn of the year

First up in the new year, Porto away. 1-0 win, good night Porto. They lost a couple more to leave Sporting as the sole challengers. With 10 games to play we had increased the advantage to 9 points. There was still the head to head in Lisbonce, and Sporting were on a 20 game unbeaten run of their own. The fat lady was not yet tuning up.

That run of Sporting's came to an end with a defeat to Famalicao in the game before the head to head. Win this and it's all over, but even if we lost, we would still have an 8 point lead with 6 to play. Sporting scored early, but we replied though Emerson dos Santos Almeida (the Cape Verdean) just before half time. Sporting retook the lead early in the second half, so with 25 minutes left, I threw on my final subs and went all out attack. Nothing to lose. 10 minutes later and Jorge Vidal (one of the subs) found some space and leveled at 2-2. I would have settled for the draw, but left the attacking on. It paid off as in injury time, Fernando cut in off the wing and unleashed a howitzer that silenced the Sporting crowd. That 3-2 win was the first time we had conceded 2 goals all season.

Another win on the road and we needed 1 point from the final 5 games. That is when it all fizzled out. In the Taca de Portugal semi final, a red card reduced us to 10 men after 20 minutes and while we held out until 8 minutes from time, Porto finally broke the deadlock, the first time we had not scored all season ! We were then at home to Vit. Setubal with a big crowd expecting us to be crowned champions. It was a very poor performance where we let slip a 1-0 lead to go down 2-1 and still needing a point. Next day, Rio Ave held Sporting to a 1-1 draw and we were the Champions.

I actually wish Sporting hadn't droped these points as it leaves me a bit flat finishing off with back to back home defeats. Anyway, job done and onto something else (after a short break).

Here is my tracker of all the clubs managed (including International and clubs that didn't win titles)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just a final post with the stats at the end

I'm not sure why the Manager Points is so low. I think it must have wrapped as according to my Hall of Fame, I had 441,681 when with Vissel/Spain

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AJ

vCash
    Congrats!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Congratulation @Kingsley for finishing the challenge and providing all the details for your journey. Reading through your posts describing your adventures was one of the reasons I decided to start this challenge. I just hope don't struggle with the "T" as well

20. The Following User Says Thank You to KL1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Whoohoo!

Always knew you'd go all the way!

5 teams managed with T
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Will be looking to join this tonight!

vCash
    Or hold out until next week to start the new alphabet challenge
    The Alphabet Game

vCash
    Even better idea

vCash
    Yeah, waiting for next week is a good idea for me too, but for different reason. My game crashed while updating for the second season! Not sure what's wrong. I'll delete everything and install fresh with the new update. It will be devastating for me to start the new Alphabet Challenge only for the game to crash after 10 letters or so!

vCash
    For the first time, there is no progression for Valencia after we finished 5th with a point haul of 64, a joint-second best since taking over in Spain.

After spending a whopping 75M (recouping 49.5M in sales), I expected a lot more for this season. It took us 4 attempts to register a first win of the season and we crashed out of the Champions League in the first Phase after conceding a last minute goal to Elfsborg which would have secured 2nd place. We were then put into the UEFA Cup but lost a 2:0 lead from the first leg by losing 3:0 in Belgium! There was a huge chance of reaching the Spanish Cup final by drawing Zamudio in the semis but we lost 3:3 on away goals.

Being knocked out of Europe actually did us a favour as we were regularly in the 8-11th positions until the last 10 games of the season where we managed to climb up to 3rd (beating Barcelona in the process) but lost to Sevilla and drew to Sporting Gijon in the final two games to finish a disappointing 5th.

I said I'd look elsewhere if I couldn't improve, particularly if Barcelona continue to dominate once again. So watch this space...
    The Alphabet Game

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728