Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nottingham Forest - Creation of an Identity

vCash

Nottingham Forest - Creation of an Identity

Disclaimer: The events in this thread are purely fictional and not based on real-life events

Nottingham Forest - Creation of an Identity

After being unsuccessful in finding a buyer for the club, Fawaz Al-Hasawi decided to keep Nottingham Forest. Things were going to change though, and the club would be run in a different way, the way he now wanted. Mr. Al-Hasawi had given previous managers his backing with signings, and watched a large turnover of players on a regular basis. The sacking of Stuart Pearce was especially disappointing for Mr. Al-Hasawi. A club legend, Pearce had been backed with the signings of such players as Michail Antonio and Britt Assombalonga, but the club underwhelmed in that season(2014/15). Al-Hasawi felt the club had no identity, and wanted this to change.

After discussing his new vision for the club with current manager Phillipe Montanier, and making clear that the club will only be run in the way he wanted, Montanier resigned. Al-Hasawi visited a Nottingham pub to drown his sorrows. He would find this difficult as he did not drink alcohol, and had to make do with Orange Juice. After spotting a fellow Orange Juice drinker, Mr Al-Hasawi struck up a conversation with him. Immediately finding a common interest in football, the two had a long discussion about football and the state of Nottingham Forest.

Al-Hasawi was impressed by the fact that the man introduced himself as mcnamee19, interpreting the inclusion of numbers as a sign of confidence. After all, it didn't hurt CR7. Al-Hasawi and mcnamee19 shared the same vision for the way football should be played, and mcnamee19 revealed that he considered himself a Championship Manager legend due to the fact that he won the treble of Champions League, Premier League, and FA Cup with Yeovil Town.

Al-Hasawi himself was looking for a new manager.....he wasn't sure where to turn next, and impressed by mcnamee19's Championship Manager feats, the thought of offering him the job entered into his mind. He wasn't sure if it was the Orange Juice talking, but this thought became a reality, and Al-Hasawi offered mcnamee19 the job there and then. The jobless mcnamee19 gladly accepted, hinting that it may be a good idea to get the contract written up that evening.

By midnight that night, mcnamee19 was the Nottingham Forest manager.

Al-Hasawi's Rules

Fawaz Al-Hasawi made sure mcnamee19 understood the rules for this role -

Creation of a Top Youth Academy and Inclusion of Youth Players

Youth players were to be a major part of the first team. After seeing a large turnaround of players since he bought the club, Al-Hasawi wanted this to stop, and the following rules were to be implemented -

First Season - At least one Youth Product must be a regular substitute during the entire season.

Second Season - At least one Youth Product must be a regular starter during the entire season.

Third Season - At least two Youth Products must be regular starters during the entire season.

Fourth Season - At least three Youth Products must be regular starters during the entire season.

Fifth Season - At least four Youth Products must be regular starters during the entire season.

Sixth Season - At least five Youth Products must be regular starters during the entire season.

Seventh Season - At least six Youth Products must be regular starters during the entire season.

From the Seventh Season onwards there must always be at least six Youth Products* that are regular starters during the entire season.

Top Facilities and a Youth Acadamy must be in place by the beginning of the Third Season

A regular starter in the First Team is defined as a player that will always play in the first 11 if fully fit, and above 94% condition(allowing for said player to be rested for lower priority games where there is fixture congestion).

A regular substitute is more loosely defined, where a Youth Product should be substituted(or starting) into 2/3 of the games during the season.(This only applies in the first season)

*A Youth Product is defined as either A) A player promoted from the club's youth set-up

or B) A player that was signed on a free transfer as a "hot prospect for the future" - the player must have been signed when under the age of 20 if he has already played for another club, or under the age of 22 if he has not had a club previously. In the case of the former, the player must be a free agent when offered a contract, and not offered a contract with six month's remaining on his club contract.

Transfer Rules

The transfer budget is to be immediately cut from 7.5M to 3.6M. In order to provide some flexibility, a maximum of four transfers are allowed up until the end of the first transfer window. From this point onwards only two First-Team Transfers* are allowed per calendar year.

*First-Team Transfers are all transfers where the player being signed does not fit the definition of a Youth Product, as defined in the previous section.

Playing Style

The playing style must be predominantly an attractive attacking style. Constant hoofs will not be tolerated.

Club Progression

The club must never regress, and must satisfy the board's requirements. If team performance does not meet the board's expectations you will be notified.

Failure to comply with any of these rules will result in sacking.

With the contract signed, mcnamee19 went from jobless obscurity to Nottingham Forest manager, and his first task was to assess his current squad.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by mcnamee19; 01-11-16 at 11:47 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mcnamee19 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Will keep an eye on this mate

What are clssing as a regular starter/sub - how many games etc?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Will keep an eye on this mate

What are clssing as a regular starter/sub - how many games etc?
    That's a very good question , I should have specified that really.

A regular starter in the First Team is defined as a player that will always play in the first 11 if fully fit, and above 94% condition(allowing for said player to be rested for lower priority games where there is fixture congestion).

A regular substitute is more loosely defined, where a Youth Product should be substituted(or starting) into at least half of the First Team games during the season.(This only applies in the first season)

Thanks for bringing that up Redknapp, I'll add it to the intro post !

vCash
    great idea, but be brave and set some serious restrictions, for example: buying no more than... lets say 2 players per season. If you are a man, than no more than 1 player/ season, if you are Spartan...
    Last edited by pieriedaczi; 02-11-16 at 06:39 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pieriedaczi For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieriedaczi View Post
    great idea, but be brave and set some serious restrictions, for example: buying no more than... lets say 2 players per season. If you are a man, than no more than 1 player/ season, if you are Spartan...
    If I can fit it in to the story somehow it may come in later on, but for now the restriction is two players .

vCash

Squad Review & Early Transfer Business

After reviewing the squad, there appeared to be two outstanding talents -

Britt Assombalonga

Combining physical strength and speed with good overall attacking stats, Assombalonga is a dangerous striker. Since leaving Watford his career had only moved upwards, until injuries hit shortly after joining Forest. If he could stay fit he would be a real asset to the team.

Michael Mancienne

My best central defender. With good defensive stats and excellent aerial ability, Mancienne would join Assombalonga as the first two names on the team sheet.

The rest of the squad was decent for Championship standards, especially considering that the Board required that a respectable league position be attained. I wanted to aim higher, and knew that if I made the right four signings I could challenge for the play-offs. My main concern was providing service to Assombalonga.

With the 3.6M at my disposable, together with an extra 2M from Season Ticket sales, I went into the transfer market to see who was available on a free transfer. Three targets immediately caught my attention, the pacey winger Jefferson Farfan, attacking midfield creator Hugo Viana, and pacey left-winger Edgaras Cesnauskis. With ability to offer high signing-on fees I felt comfortable of landing Cesanaskis at the very least, and hoped that Farfan and Viana would choose to sign in the face of competition from other clubs. To my surprise(especially in the case of Farfan), all three were signed -

Jefferson Farfan

Hugo Viana

Edgaras Cesnauskis

With pace on the wings and an attacking midfielder of a high standard in central midfield, Asoombalonga would be provided a high level of service. I wanted to play with 2 up front however and was not satisfied with the other striking options in Apostolos Vellios and Nicklas Bendtner. The bulk of the remaining transfer funds were spent on pacey Jamaican international striker Darren Mattocks, for 1.8M -

Darren Mattocks

With the addition of DeAndre Yedlin on loan from Newcastle, I was happy with the squad and began the season.

vCash

Early Season Scare

The draw for the League Cup threw up interesting opposition, in the form of local rivals Notts County! Knowing this would a severe embarrassment, defeat would immediately put me in trouble. We twice went ahead, but Notts County equalised twice. With the score at 2-2 after 52 minutes, things didn't look good. Thankfully our quality came through and we won 5-2 -

League Cup First Round

vCash

Progress Update

After a mixed start to the season, we found some form going in to winter, eventually going on a 14-game unbeaten league run which provided the platform for us to reach 4th place in the League in January. Britt Assombalonga and Darren Mattocks formed a deadly partnership up front, and at one point were both in the upper reaches of top goalscorer rankings in the league

A loss of form then resulted in us dropping out of the play-off places and dropping to 8th. Draws were now more common than wins, and losses also started to occur. A key fixture was an upcoming home game against 3rd-placed Reading. Reading were on an impressive run of 11 games unbeaten, and we desperately needed a positive result to boost confidence. Assombalonga and Mattocks had been dropped due to their loss of form in an effort to get them firing again in future games. Left-back and Captain Chris Cohen's poor form also resulted in him being dropped for the pacey Armand Traore. A win would be fantastic, but considering Reading's form, a draw would not be the worst result either.

Nottingham Forest 4 - 1 Reading 1

Overview

Player Ratings

The demolition of Reading left us three points outside the play-offs, and the feeling of confidence and optimism has returned, leaving everyone at the club feeling excited at the prospect of how the rest of the season will play out.

League Table

Tyler Walker Makes His Mark

A big reason for the resurgence in optimism among staff and fans is striker and Youth Product Tyler Walker. Son of former Forest striker Des Walker, Tyler Walker has been introduced regularly off the bench since being recalled(and recovering from injury) from his loan period at the beginning of the season, but it is recently that he has really started to make his mark. He rescued a point after starting against Preston away, scoring two goals after the team went 2-0 down during the game. He has also scored two deciding goals in games, including the recent Reading game after scoring the second goal to give the team the lead. His Acceleration and Pace, aerial ability, and Determination make him a dangerous threat.

Tyler Walker

Other News

In terms of transfer news, Lica was forced to leave on a free in January to Boavista. He did not cause problems in the squad, and was a fairly decent back-up for the First-Team wingers. However, the media criticised his performances, and after I backed the player publicly, Fawaz Al-Hasawi had words with me. He publicly backed my response, but indicated his surprise at my defence of Lica. The board were then insistent that Lica be sold. Nicklas Bendtner, after responding poorly to discipline related to turning up late for training with a poor level of fitness, was transfer-listed early on in the season(we have as of yet had no concrete offers for him).

In terms of loan signings, Pajtim Kasami was purchased by another club from his parent club, and DeAndre Yedlin was sent back to Newcastle after failing to break into the First-Team. Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Nordin Amrabat were both added on loan in place of them. Upon learning of the loan signings, Mr Al-Hasawi voiced some concerns among board members. One of the key apsects of his vision was the low turnover of players in the First-Team, but the decision was made not to take any action, as loans were not discussed in my initial contract. I am preparing for loans to be mentioned(and likely restricted in some way) in any future contracts that may be offered to me.

The First-Team will predominantly line-up as follows for the rest of the season, but with Tyler Walker's form I may find it hard to leave him out of the First-Team consistently -

Spoiler!

vCash
    Loving this,,,

Tyler Walker is some talent as well...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wayupna For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wayupna View Post
    Loving this,,,

Tyler Walker is some talent as well...
    Thanks ! And he is, I was fortunate to have him in the squad. Together with Matty Cash(Central Attacking Midfielder and long-term replacement for Hugo Viana) and Joe Worrall(Central Defender) I have a core of three Youth Players that I'll be incorporating into the First-Team over the next season or two.

vCash

Play-Offs Achieved!

Forest fans were ecstatic in the Away end at Hillsborough as their team secured a Play-Off place with a 3-2 win. It all went down to the final day, and a win was needed to certify our Play-Off place. It didn't start well, going down 2-0 quite early on, but substitute Nordin Amrabat secured a 3-2 comeback with a 77th-minute strike. Reading's 2-1 away defeat at Steve McClaren's Derby helped increase the gap, with Derby themselves winning the league on the final day thanks to goals 41 and 42 of the season from Matej Vydra.

Sheffield Wednesday Versus Forest Overview

Final League Standings

And so its Aston Villa in the Play-Offs. We've already played each other four times this season, thanks to an FA Cup Third Round replay which Aston Villa won 4-2. We had the overall upper hand in the league meetings, winning 3-2 at Villa Park and drawing 1-1 at the City Ground. Our squad has been weakened by the loss of Ruben Loftus-Cheek(loan period expired), and Thomas Lam(three-month injury lay-off), but we have able stand-ins in Henri Lansbury and Jack Hobbs respectively.

Onwards to the Play-Offs!

vCash
    Can i just possibly hijack or off trend the thread what graphics are you using please ?

vCash
    I signed Farfan in my Swansea game – doing very well out wide

Hugo Viana recently retired IRL

You are not impressed by Lord Bendtner!?!

Tyler has his Dad’s pace!

How lucky was that Barry Bannan sending off!

Good luck v Villa – tough one and with Loftus Cheek out.

How is Jack Hobbs getting on – had decent potential when at Pool but didn’t really get a chance/make the grade

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wayupna View Post
    Can i just possibly hijack or off trend the thread what graphics are you using please ?
    Sure . For the Stadiums I'm using the Stadium pictures from one of the 800x600 Mega Pictures Pack(I just copied and pasted the required files from the Mega Pack to get just the Stadiums). The other pictures are a mix of personal selections created from pictures on the internet, and also player pictures from the Mega Pack.

The menubar is the Champions League menubar that I posted in the Menubar Request thread . Would you like to me to check the exact name of the Mega Pack I used from the Downloads section?

I signed Farfan in my Swansea game doing very well out wide

Hugo Viana recently retired IRL

You are not impressed by Lord Bendtner!?!

Tyler has his Dads pace!

How lucky was that Barry Bannan sending off!

Good luck v Villa tough one and with Loftus Cheek out.

How is Jack Hobbs getting on had decent potential when at Pool but didnt really get a chance/make the grade
    Jack Hobbs actually has some decent stats ! He always seems to have been with promotion-challenging teams but never been able to establish himself in the side. He has played in some games but Thomas Lam has been the main central defensive partner for Mancienne.

Farfan and Viana have been so important to the team, they're into their 30's but I'm hoping to get a few more decent seasons out of them !

Bendtner had to be transfer-listed, I didn't want any potential disrputions to the squad due to his unhappiness !

Banna's sent off really turned the game. Loftus-Cheek was a big miss in the Play-Offs, and you're right on Tyler Walker, he has incredible Pace(and aerial ability too).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mcnamee19 For This Useful Post:

vCash

A Play-Off Classic

Play-Off Semi-Final: First-Leg

With the loss of Ruben-Loftus Cheek before the Sheffield Wednesday game, Henri Lansbury was due to continue in central midfield alongside Hugo Viana. Before the Fist-Leg, Everton triggered Lansbury's release clause, and he accepted the contract they offered. His performance level in the First-Leg at one point dipped to 4/10, and had to be subbed off for youngster Matty Cash. We were overrun in the game and could have let in more than the two goals that we did -

Assombalonga replied in the First-Half, but the substitution of Matty Cash improved our performance and Jerfferson Farfan scored late on to tie the game at 2-2. Next up was the Second Leg at the City Ground.

Play-Off Semi-Final: Second-Leg

Due to Jack Hobbs' injury in the first game, Youth Product Joe Worrall started in central defence alongside Michael Mancienne, and was tasked with keeping an eye on Ross McCormack who was playing in the central striker role in Steve Bruce's defensive_counter formation. Fellow Youth Product Matty Cash started alongside Hugo Viana in central midfield. Worral struggled to keep McCormack under control, and Villa countered expertly in the First-Half, scoring two goals to take a 2-0 half-time lead. Faced with defeat, we went with a 4-3-3, with Tyler Walker coming on to complete the set of three central strikers alongside Britt Assombalonga and Darren Mattocks. Hugo Viana played in central midfield with Farfan and Cesnasukis either side, moving into wide positions when in posession of the ball. We needed to pull it back in the second half.

Villa struggled to contain us, their defensive_counter formation unable to stop the sheer pace and power up front and out wide. Farfan and Walker brought it back to 2-2, and took the game to extra-time. We continued to create chances, but Nathan Baker put Villa ahead with 19 minutes remaining of extra-time. Thankfully Walker rose to head home a cross to make it 3-3. The game then went to penalties, and despite Walker's penalty miss, the rest of the spot-kick takers kept their nerve to take Forest to Wembley! We will play Norwich, who overcame Q.P.R in their Semi-Final after gaining a 3-0 victory in the First-Leg to make things comfotable in the Second-Leg.

We will be be further weakened with the expiration of Nordin Amrabat's loan deal, but we can still carry an attacking threat and will look to attack at Wembley!

vCash
    2 brilliant play off ties and 2 massive comebacks in each game - do you have 1 more performance in you?

ADo you feel ready to go up? Such a tough division though you wouldn never not want to!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    2 brilliant play off ties and 2 massive comebacks in each game - do you have 1 more performance in you?

ADo you feel ready to go up? Such a tough division though you wouldn never not want to!
    That was a very good question, as the squad, while having quality in the first 11, struggled in terms of squad depth!

An update on the events that followed the Semi-Final is coming very shortly .

vCash

End of the Road for mcnamee19?

As the post title suggests, it may be the end of mcnamee19 at Nottingham Forest. What follows is a description of the events that lead to this situation...

2015-16 Play-Off Final: Nottingham Forest Versus Norwich City

After taking the lead at Wembley through Edgaras Cesnauskis, Norwich equalised, and then took the lead. Nelson Oliveira and Alexander Tettey with the two goals for Norwich. After equalising after Half-Time through Jefferson Farfan, Norwich quickly took the lead again through Graham Dorrans' Free-Kick. Despite switching to a 4-3-3 and throwing on Tyler Walker up front alongside Assombalonga and Mattocks, we couldn't find an equaliser. We created more chances after the formation switch, eventually ovetaking Norwich in terms of Shots on Target. Jefferson Farfan's excellent run into the box ended in him hitting the crossbar with around 4 minutes to go, and that was that for Forest.

Al-Hasawi Restricts Loans & Further Restricts Transfers

After reviewing the season, and despite loasing the Play-Off Final, Fawaz Al-Hasawi and the board were pleased with my performance. However, the number of loans made during the season was deemed too excessive, and going forward I was only allowed to use 1 Loan per calendar year. I was also restricted to now only having one transfer per calendar year. I was still allowed to use my two transfers this summer that were pre-agreed, and Aiden McGeady and Ferebory Dore joined on pre-agreed free transfers -

Aiden McGeady

Ferebory Dore

In addition to these signings, youth signings were made both before the transfer deadline was reached, and afterwards also(to be completed in the following January window)

2016/17 Season

After the encouraging performance of 4-3-3 in the Play-Offs, I decided to use this formation in the following season, using our attacking talent to overpower the opposition. Pre-season went reasonably well, and a lot of goals were scored. After a good start to the season in the first 4 games(which saw us in a Play-Off place), a collapse began. Darren Mattocks requested a transfer, wanting to join a bigger club. I accepted his request, and to my surprise, there were no takers. His poor form which followed resulted in him losing his regular starting spot. Britt Assombalonga's form severely tailed off, and we were relying on Tyler Walker for goals. Another key blow was losing Jefferson Farfan to long-term injuries, which happened multiple times before January. With Farfan out, and Mattocks and Assombalonga not performing as they once were, our form was severely dented. The 4-3-3 formation was now a hindrance rather than being a strength - our attack was not firing and left the team open, and goals were being conceded at an alarming rate. Goalkeeper Vladimir Stojkovic lost form, got sent off, and suffered a long-term injury. In fact in one away game, Stojkovic was sent-off, the replacement goalkeeper was injured, and Mattocks had to be placed in goal. Everything seemed to be going wrong

Al-Hasawi Showdown

According to rumours in January, my position at the club was insecure, and with results not improving significantly, became very insecure(with some players eventually becoming unhappy at rumours that I would be leaving the club. Knowing that I would be sacked if form continued, I arranged a meeting with Fawaz Al-Hasawi. I toldf him that if he gave me free reign in the transfer market in January, that I would get the club promoted. If I didn't, I would accept 1/2 of the payout due to me if I was sacked, and I would resign. This also involved ripping up(or postponing) the original plan that Al-Hasawi had set out. Al-Hasawi accepted the proposal, but made sure to emphasise that the plan would have to be implemented in the near future, at a time of his choosing.

With the authority to go into the transfer market, the following signings were made to try and improve our form and at least get us into a Play-Off place, which was the target set by the board at the beginning of the

Cheikh Ndoye

Solidity and Work Rate was required in central midfield, and Ndoye provided this, replacing the underperforming Hugo VIana in the central midfield spot.

Arnor Ingvi Traustason

Either side of Ndoye, we had Farfan and new signing Traustason, who both moved out wide when the team was in possession of the ball, providing service to the three strikers.

Jan Mlakar

Excellent young prospect Jan Mlakar was signed, and was to partner Walker and Dore up front.

To address the defensive issues, Franz Brorsson and Ritchie De Laet were signed -

Franz Brorsson

Ritchie De Laet

In total, just over 6 Million was spent to bring in these players. Benik Afobe and Mario Pasalic also joined on loan to add further squad depth, with Afobe impressing in particular.

The signings eventually had the desired effect, particularly from March onwards. It was only with 10 games to go that the rumours of my job insecurity began to disappear, and we eventually secured a Play-Off place on the final day, finishing in fourth place. Our opponents in the Play-Offs were Q.P.R., and as with last year, both matched proved to be dramatic -

Play-Off Semi-Final First Leg: Nottingham Forest Versus Q.P.R.

After going behind, our attack continued to pile on pressure, and even after Q.P.R were sent down to ten men, it took until the 74th minute for Tyler Walker to equalise and take a 1-1 draw to Loftus Road.

Play-Off Semi-Final Second Leg: Q.P.R. Versus Nottingham Forest

After going behind twice, it looked like Forest were yet again going to suffer in the Play-Offs. But in the second half our attack started to fire, and we took the game to extra-time, before Afobe hit the winner to again take Forest to Wembley.

2016-17 Play-Off Final: Nottingham Forest Versus Norwich City

After going into this game with huge confidence(despite Afobe and Pasalic returning to their clubs on loan), we froze in the Final. Our strikers, who had been so potent during the season, didn't score a goal. Such were the lack of chances, Jan Mlakar failed to have one shot on goal, after scoring for fun during the season after signing in January. We were again a victim of a Free-Kick, this time from George Boyd. Jefferson Farfan's excellent solo run and goal to equalise was a consolation for the Forest fans to go home with.

After having failed to get the club promoted, it was surely a matter of time before Al-Hasawi got in touch to demand my resignation. Training was shut down, players were sent on holiday, and I waited for the P45 to be delivered.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to mcnamee19 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hmmmmm - not sure how to take this

The restrictions all got lifted pretty quickly which is dissapoitning to see

Even signed a wonderkid in Mlakar!

Very unfortunate to fail in 2 finals

What is the next step? Not end of story surely?!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hmmmmm - not sure how to take this

The restrictions all got lifted pretty quickly which is dissapoitning to see

Even signed a wonderkid in Mlakar!

Very unfortunate to fail in 2 finals

What is the next step? Not end of story surely?!
    It was the last attempt for me to stay in the job(the removal of restrictions). I was disappointed as well as I was looking forward to trying to achieve success with those restrictions.

The big mistake was switching to 4-3-3. Its a very effective formation when you have the attacking players to do damage, but when you don't you leave yourself wide open to concede goals without being able to out-score the opposition. With Farfan's repeated long-term injuries, Mattocks wanting to leave, and Assombalonga's goals drying up, the formation was not what the team needed. I tried to switch back to 4-4-2 just before January but the team was so disrupted due to the poor league position and lacking in confidence, that the switch didn't work. I enjoyed what I'd done so far though and didn't want to give up just yet....it was disappointing that promotion wasn't achieved in the end, but maybe there is still a way for mcnamee19 to survive in the job .

29. The Following User Says Thank You to mcnamee19 For This Useful Post:

vCash

Mcnamee19 Survives...For Now

With the season completed, mcnamee19 thought it was only a matter of time before he was asked to resign. This expectation was further strengthened with the rumours circulating after the Play-Off Final of Mr. Al-Hasawi finalising two candidates he wanted as his new manager.

Steve Bruce

Bruce had apparently been sounded out in March, before our run that took us into the Play-Off places. A safe pair of hands at Championship level, Bruce was Al-Hasawi's first choice, and would not cost any compensation fee as he was without a job after being sacked by Villa. These plans were scuppered however after Leeds appointed Bruce, who subsequently took Leeds up in second place in the league. Bruce was now out of reach, so Al-Hasawi looked to his second choice.

David Moyes

As the picture above suggests, as far as mcnamee19 was concerned, Moyes had his name on the manager's door. Proven Championship experience together with the prestige of managing two of England's biggest clubs, he must have been nailed on to get the job. However, according to reports, Moyes would not yield to Al-Hasawi's request to play an attacking brand of football. Moyes had his set style, and would not compromise on this. He told Al-Hasawi that managers should stick with the style that suits them, especially after his Man Utd spell, in which Moyes tried to be more attacking but only ended up somewhere in between defensive and attacking, unable to cement a specific playing style.

So with pre-season approaching, I decided to be as professional as I could be, and continue in my role regardless of whether I was due to be replaced.

vCash
    Intriging..........

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

Mcnamee19 to Run Down Contract & Al-Hasawi Leaves the Country

After no communication with the club owner, mcnamee19 returned to take pre-season training. The atmpsphere at the club wasn't the best, after two Play-Off Final defeats in a row morale was low. Forest's previous record in regards to Play-Offs had affected fan's enthusiasm, with defeats in both of Billy Davies' Play-Off campaigns, to Blackpool(2009-10) and Swansea(2010-11) in successive seasons. In 2011-12 Forest were involved in a relegation battle, and although things improved in 2012-13, there was still Play-Off related disappointment at the end of the season.

With Bolton being held 2-2 at Blackpool on the final day. Forest knew a victory at home would see them in a Play-Off position. Things initially looked good, Forest took the lead after 3 minutes though Simon Cox, and after Blackpool took a 1-0 lead over Bolton after 21 minutes, Forest were in a Play-Off spot. Things then took a turn for the worse when Forest's opponents on the day, local rivals Leicester, took a 2-1 lead into half-time. Bolton were now 2-0 down to Blackpool, so Forest knew that if they could win they had a great chance of making it, with Bolton needing 3 goals to win their game. At half-time the team that occupied the last Play-Off spot were opponents Leicester.

Forest came back into it, drawing the game at 2-2, and with wave after wave of attack it seemed only a matter of time before the Leicester defence was breached. Bolton were just about hanging on to the last Play-Off spot, until the 91st minute of Forest's game. Forest's attacking mentality left them open at the back, and having held firm in the face of Forest's attacks, Leicester counter-attacked in the 91st minute and scored through Anthony Knockaert, taking the final Play-Off spot at the home of one of their local rivals and sparking famous celebrations in the Leicester end -

Nottingham Forest 2 - 3 Leicester, 04/05/2013

Anthony Knockaert (90+1)

Add to all this the last two seasons of successive Play-Off final defeats, and the mood was down. Some fans and staff were now discussing the possibility of a relegation battle in the following season, as happened in 2011-12.

Rumours of instability at the club only added to this feeling, with strong rumours circulating that Al-Hasawi had lost enthusiasm for football and wanted to take a break. The manager's situation was also uncertain, and no-one knew what to expect. As it turned out, Al-Hasawi had left the country, leaving without speaking to anyone and leaving the club in the hands of the Chief Executive. After discussion with the Chief Executive, there was no conclusive decision made on the issue of my expiring contract, with an unspoken understanding that Al-Hasawi would return after a year's break and resume the search for a new manager when his hunger for the game had returned.

So this was to be my last season as Nottingham Forest manager, and I wanted to try and go out on a high, I wanted the league title. Al-Hasawi had not left any instructions before he left, so I was given access to the club's transfer funds and set about building a squad that would give me an excellent chance of winning the league. Forest may have been too big a club for me at the moment, with the requirement to promote youth and restrict transfers while challenging for promotion being difficult to achieve. After this season I decided that I would search out a smaller club and build a youth system there, but for now I would concentrate on the upcoming season.

vCash
    Restriction free season - good luck with it - last chance saloon with forest but a youth challenge elsewhere wouldn't be a bad thing and climb your way back up the ladder

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Restriction free season - good luck with it - last chance saloon with forest but a youth challenge elsewhere wouldn't be a bad thing and climb your way back up the ladder
    Definitely , and thanks ! I want to get some success with them after so many years of disappointment for the club. Without restrictions I feel as though top spot has to be the target.

I'll get some updates posted during the week !
    Last edited by mcnamee19; 13-11-16 at 10:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast