Thread: World Super League - Tales from Japan (take 2)

vCash

World Super League - Tales from Japan (take 2)

It's finally happened, the biggest and richest clubs in the world have broken away and formed a World Super League.

The worlds premier club competition is no longer shackled to Europe and owners, fans and players from all over the globe now have a genuine chance to see their team from their country become the best in the world.

To keep the top divisions competitive in the early years they have been made up of the best sides around but the lower divisions have been packed with the biggest clubs from countries all over the world that have a genuine chance to grow now they have the draw of being part of this new footballing era.

This is the story of how Japanese club FC Tokyo look to make their way from the 4th tier of the World Super League to become the best club side in the world.

The Tokyo chairman is keen to seize the opportunity and has appointed young English Coach Loyal_Royal1 to lead the team. It has been stressed that to keep the clubs identity there must be at least 10 Japanese players in the squad at all times and at least 5 named in match day squads fitness and suspensions pending.

This story aims to provide some great imagery of global football as FC Tokyo travel the world and the chance to see how some of the clubs and players often out of sight to many of us get on amongst the 'traditional' elite.

After the technical glitch I had last time I tried to do this I have run the leagues (English this time) on holiday for a while and it seems to work fine so hopefully those that were enjoying before will follow again!

Summer Signings

With a modest transfer budget one of my first tasks was to scour the free agents market to try and boost our squad. A number of offers were made and I was delighted to capture the signings of experienced attacking midfielder Kevin Nolan and centre back Joe Dudgeon on free transfers.

With a few players on the verge of leaving the club I would soon have a small amount of money to spend but in the mean time I secured the season long loan of attacking midfielder Simon Gustafson from Feyenoord.

Though I was happy with the new faces so far I was a little concerned the squad might end up lacking that little bit of star quality that can make all the difference in the tight games but then came the news that Spain international Alvaro Negredo was available for as little as 2 million. I ensured we were the first club to act and I was suprised and ecstatic when we got the deal over the line in just a few days.

And with the season opener fast approaching we got 1 more deal done, securing the signing of Evandro from FC Porto

World Super League - Tales from Japan - http://champman0102.co.uk/showthread...270#post325270
    The Pozzo Model - A quest for a Trio of Champions! - http://www.champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6584

vCash
    Will keep an eye on this mate - cracking signing in Negredo!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nice to see ya trying this again mate, as Red said Negredo is a cracking signing he should do the job for at least a couple of seasons.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    August

Our first game in this brave new world of football was away to Colombian side Millonarios.

Having spent just 400,000 on a few youngsters so far they seem to be a side we may be competing with to stabilise in the first season as others in the division, notably the Chinese sides spend big.

I went into the game with a take on a 4-5-1 formation, keen to ensure we were not too open but also giving licence to our 3 main goal threats to attack the game.

In a cagey first half we held our own and on 43 minutes Negredo latched onto a through ball from Evandro and showed his class by tucking away his one chance in the match.

We weathered a bit of a storm early in the 2nd half as the hosts tried everything to get back in the match but our Serbian Goalkeeper was looking unbeatable.
    The match was then won on 66 minutes as another debut goal was bundled in by Gustafson after a Negredo header was parried by the keeper.

3 points on the board!

Our first home match of the season saw us welcome FK Quarabag of Azerbaijan in front of an exited and expectant home crowd

I named an unchanged line up despite the temptation to go more attacking at home. With the game goalless at half time I still resisted change as we were knocking on the door and in the 2nd half Australian international Nathan Burns broke the deadlock after finding himself unmarked in the box following a Takahashi cross.

Negredo made it 2 in 2 shortly afterwards before Kevin Nolan scored a trademark goal arriving late in the box to get himself off the mark for us late on.

Just a few days later we were at home again in the League Cup against fellow Division 3 side Colo Colo from Chile.
    I again named an unchanged side and the boys did the business with a 3rd straight win to nil. Japan international centre half Morishige opening the scoring with a bullet header from a corner and Nolan making it 2 from 2 for himself 2 minutes later.

We will host French side Lyon from the First Division in the second round.

In our final match of August we made our first trip to Europe to play Swedish Side Malmo, former home of Zlatan Ibrahimovic. With Burns suspended after his red in the last match Gustafson comes in to the side.

In a tight and intimidating atmosphere we conceded our first goal of the campaign on 27 minutes as Norway International Berget fired home.

However in the 2nd half we managed to turn the tide of the game swifly as we made it 1-1 just a minute after the re-start and we made the most of our period on top as Evandro secured his brace to make it 2-1.

That's the way it stayed as we finished August with a 100% record.

A fantastic start but I will not be letting the players get carried away as every side we have played so far sit in the bottom 3rd of the table.

World Super League - Tales from Japan - http://champman0102.co.uk/showthread...270#post325270
    The Pozzo Model - A quest for a Trio of Champions! - http://www.champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6584

7. The Following User Says Thank You to loyal_royal1 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Tearing it up!

Any wib wob happeneing?

Lovely start anyway - tight as a duck's @arse at the back!

vCash
    No wib wob I don't really have a clue with that! Just team instructions. I think we've played 3 teams that will finish bottom half but nice to get off to a positive start for sure

vCash
    Great start mate, good to see Negredo hitting the back of the net straight away.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    September

We began September with a Japanese derby against Uwara Red Diamonds

This was our 3rd match in 7 days and I was concerned about the condition of some of the players. In the end I decided I couldn't chop the winning team up for a derby match and went with an unchanged line up.

It would be a decision I would live to regret as we slumped to our first defeat of the season with a very tired looking performance.

The away fans enjoying every moment

The begining of the month also saw the closing of the transfer window.

The list of deals around the world made for interesting reading as the worlds biggest clubs were relatively quiet while the Chinese clubs were looking to make an immediate mark.

Despite being in the 5th tier the last English Champions Leicester City were also able to make some big moves.

We looked to bounce back away in Thailand to Muangthong who sat in 13th place 3 points behind us.

We got off to a poor start though as former Newcastle and Deportivo forward Xisco put the hosts 1 up after 6 minutes.

We fought well to stay in the match though and the 2nd half Gustafson scored his 2nd goal of the season to draw us level and earn a point on the road.

We welcomed league leaders Bordeaux next and our patchy form continued as we were defeated 3-1. The positive was Negredo ending his little drought but it was a consecutive home defeat.

We were back on our travels next heading to Ecuador and Independiente (ECU)

The hosts had won only 1 of their 5 matches so far and were down in 16th place so I was hopeful we could get back on track after 3 without a win.

We looked a little nervy but were on top of the game and the hosts, after much chasing the ball were reduced to 10 men just before half time when the frustration got the better of Cedeno. A straight red card for striking Yoshimoto in the chest.

In the 2nd half we made our man advantage pay and Negredo and Nolan sealed the win for the hard core away support.

It was one step forward one step back in our next match though as our goalkeeper was sent off after 15 minutes in a heavy defeat to Cassablanca

The sending off meant that Avramov was suspended for the visit of 2nd tier Lyon in the league cup.

The difference in divisions was sadly clear in the match as we struggled with the French side's attacking threat. Nathan Burns especially struggled having to play out of position in a deeper midfield role.

It was France international Valbeuna who did the most of the damage as we were put out of the competition.

We travelled to Belgium for our final match of September to play Gent who would close the gap on ourselves to 1 point with a win.

Again after a cup macth we were not looking in the freshest condition and it was becoming clear to me where we need to strengthen in January.

Gent forward Jeremy Perbet is the leading scorer in the division and he added to his tally against us as he helped his side to a 2-1 win.

A patchy month but overall I'm pleased to see us in touch with the play-off places at this stage given our thin squad and modest Summer spend.
    Maybe the cup exit can help us with our consistency in the coming months although the World Super League FA Cup 1st round will soon be upon us.

Elsewhere in the standings Barcelona lead the way in the top flight while the early signs are that the promotion races in all leagues will be a close run affair.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to loyal_royal1 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    I really love this! Hopefully it works better now than the one before. Really want to see how this will turn out. Too bad you could not keep your great form from last month, but it's in there I know it!

By the way, is there some way I could copy your save and try it for myself? It looks so much fun.

vCash
    ugh - not an easy month mate but some tough teams you played - squad fitness properly tested and maybe did not come out on the right side - all this "travellinG" doesn't help either

vCash
    Not the best months at all, but like you say maybe the cup exit could be a blessing as it allows you to concentrate on the league.