Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tribute Challenge to Chapecoense

AJ is offline Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Vipers Striker Extraordinaire
    vCash

Tribute Challenge to Chapecoense

As all of us know, on the evening of the 28th of November, 2016 LaMia Airlines Flight 2933 crashed in Colombia. On the plane was an entire football club.

Associação Chapecoense de Futebol, who were to play Atletico National of Colombia, had achieved a major success by reaching the finals of the Copa Sudamericana and winning the state championship. They were a club at the pinnacle of their power. A fairy tale, almost.

Coaching staff, backroom staff, board members and an almost complete first selection were taken from the club, when they were so close to crowning themselves. A disaster to their fans, the nation of Brazil and a stunning blow to football and all its fans.

Worldwide football pays its respects to the fallen, trying to comfort the souls of those lost and those left behind. We, as a community that holds unity, respect and the love for all things football so near to our heart, feel like we need to reach out to Chapecoense, to its fans, family and all those who feel the same loss as we all do.

Champman01/02.co.uk wants to honour those who have been taken so brutally, in a way that is fitting and respectful. In a way we feel is right. We will honor and cherish Chapecoense by celebrating them, by celebrating football. As most of you know, we regularly put up official challenges for our members and all those who love CM01/02. We will do so now, as a tribute to Chapo. A challenge for everyone who wants to contribute and pay their respects.

But we do not just offer a challenge this time, we want to go the extra mile and try to actually reach out the club Chapecoense. What we are going to do is do a fundraiser. We may not be rich and we're not aiming for millions here, but we want our community to pitch in, in whatever amount.

On the frontpage of our website is a "Donate Now" button. Use this to get your donation in. Make sure you send a Personal Message to Mark with your details and put "Chape tribute" in there as well, so we know your donation goes to our Chape Fund. We will keep an open score as to our tally, we are working on an open and transparent system to keep everyone updated. Tell your friends about this as well!!

Now, the challenge itself. We figured we would keep it open and simple so everyone can enjoy it.

Aim: Score as many goals as you can in ONE season. Win the state championship, the national championship and the Brazilian Cup.

Rules:
    -Start a new game, October Update, select only Brazil and manage Chapocoense for ONE season.
    -No transfers in or out. Try as hard as you can to get the most out of this selection, see if you can do better than the late, great Caio Junior.

You are free to employ whatever tactic you want. Wib-Wob or no, it's all up to you. We just want you to enjoy this bunch of talented champions.

-50 points for winning the Campeonato Caterinense
    -50 points for winning the Brazilian Cup
    -100 points for winning the National First Division
    -200 points for winning the Copa dos Campeões
    -1 point per goal scored in all competitions

We'll need screenshots of course. Transfer activity, an overview of fixtures played and final standings, of course.

Expect some changes in the text, as we are working on getting the donation monitoring right.

Anyway, we hope you'll all greatly enjoy this challenge. Please feel absolutely free to donate massively and score loads!!

Last edited by AJ; 15-12-16 at 10:54 PM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks AJ for putting this up.

The no transfers out might be a problem as most Brazilians insist on min-fee clauses, but I think we can make an exception if a transfer is forced.

The only thing I would add is PLEASE NO CHEATING ! This is a tribute to Chapocoense, so please pay respects.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

VIP
    vCash
    Excellent point on the transfers out, Kingsley. Let's just say in the spirit of honouring this team, keep them together as much as you can.

I am sure there will be no cheating. This is way too important to cheat on, it's a tribute.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'm on this

Assuming no Staff In/Out either as that seems against what we should be doing here

Just realised all but 2 loans finish in a week - leaves a squad of 20 to work with -
    Last edited by Redknapp69; 04-12-16 at 08:56 PM.

vCash
    Excellent work, AJ

On top of this - I've pledged that any donations made to the site throughout December will also contribute to this fund raiser for Chapecoense.
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

VIP
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Excellent work, AJ

On top of this - I've pledged that any donations made to the site throughout December will also contribute to this fund raiser for Chapecoense.
    wow, that is just fantastic!! Thanks, chief!!

vCash
    This is a very noble gesture and I´d like to thank everyone involved.

As a Brazilian I can say that this was a shocking tragedy that drove the entire country to tears and mourning.

Chape has been doing an outstanding job regarding club administration and, of course, results and every football fan in Brazil was deeply touched by this loss.

I´d like to add that the club has opened a special association category for people who would like to contribute directly to them. The starting contribution is 20 reais (6 USD). Here is the website if anyone feels like getting involved: www.chapecoense.com/2016/associese

It is very comforting to see all the demonstrations of solidarity that come from all over the world. I´m sure every little gesture warms the heart of everyone related to the victims.

Once again, thanks to this community for this initiative, especially AJ.

Cheers, mates.

#ForçaChape!

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to lpedrosol For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks lpedrosol, I've been searching for a link like that to no avail so thanks for posting it up I'll bookmark it and use it when December has passed
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'm nearly halfway through this - still in cup and bunched towards top of the league but positions 1-5 all very close. Should get it finished tomorrow with a short write up

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    This team...................this team.................

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

AJ, AMC

vCash
    Have started this challenge. Will obviously do a full write up of the season, just trying to think of the style. I've gone for the same formation I use in the dream team, 4-1-2-1-2, as it seems to fit the team. It starts off quite hard...with nearly all the loanees, apart from Silvinho, buggering off back to their respective clubs. The cads.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

AJ, AMC

vCash
    Hi. There is any file to download (data or saved game) to use for this challenge?

vCash
    Read the First Post, October Update

vCash

Completed the challenge - one of the craziest and emotional I have undertaken in CM0102...................

Tactic - Non Wib Wob. I went 41221 (some sort of 433 variant), I then changed very late on to a narrow 442 diamond
    Transfers - None (in small screens at bottom)
    Loans - None (in small screens at bottom)
    Staff In - None (in small screens at bottom)
    Contract Extensions - None (most of the squad contracts are up at end of year and I just left everything as it was)

So - we start off with a small squad and best part of 6 players loans end straight away - not ideal...........

The next thing - a whole host of top flight clubs all come in for my staff. I was humbled and honoured that they turned down such big money moves and decided to stay with us - they knew the journey we were on and wanted to be part of it

A prime example below

temporary image hosting

However, as pre-season went on and throughout the start of the campaign, my staff cannot just think about themselves but their families as well and as sad I was to see them leave the club, with a heavy heart I understood their reasons for wanting look after thier families

This left me with a physio as my only member of staff for the remainder of this challenge.............

photo sharing sites

Brazilian State Championship

This started off well for us, then tailed off for a few weeks where we lost consistency then we got our act together again and a number of teams all bunched up in the top spots

I was truly staggered to see us top the table but as you can se from the goals score (approx 3 per game) we were rightly known as "The Entertainers"

So - we make our way to the knockout stages and progress through. I must give a special mention to a few players

GK - Marcelo Boeck - performed superbly in the nets for me
    DC - Neto - Beast of a defender
    DM - Josimar - My "General" on the pitch
    AM RLC - Cleber Santana - This guy was IMMENSE for me. Goals/Assist/MOM performances - he had it all!
    STR - Bruno Rangel - 35 years old and fully utilised his experience. Absolutely smashed in the goals for us

Through to the State Championship Final it is then.

Joinville would be our opponents

The 1st leg in Final couldn't have gone better - they were down to 9 men after 25 minutes! We saw the game home 3-0 but in some respects I expected us to completely finish them off

And how it nearly cam back to bite me! - We lose 2-0 in the 2nd leg in Final and back to the wall stuff for the last 30 minutes. Somehow we saw it through, but I never doubted my men. This is what became abundant from the course of the campaign. We didn't have the biggest squad but everyone pitched in and gave it 100% with a superb attitude.

Little Associação Chapecoense de Futebol are the Brazilian State Champions!

Our magnificent fans were delighted and were singing from the rooftops

image upload

Awards
    Such was the performance of our TEAM that there were even a few standout mentions at the annual awards ceremony............

Brazilian Champions Cup
    Given that we were on a high, I expected us to qualify as one of the 2 teams from the group of 3

The first game vs Luverdense was one of frustration where we were by far the better team but got superkeepered and couldn't hit the "Onion Bag"

But then the game v Bahia was one to forget. Our 'keeper had a bad day at the office and as much as we tried we couldn't get back into the game

We limp out of the Brazilian Champions Cup at such an early stage

Brazilian Cup
    We navigated our way through very easily and then the tougher teams came a calling. But again our team perform miracles and get us to the Semi Final stage.

Who did the draw pit us against - Gremio - a club known for its production of "wonderkids"

Sadly, this was a bridge too far and the gulf in class showed. We had done fantastic to even get to the Semi Final but we were treated a harsh lesson by Gremio, especially on their home ground in the first leg - losing a rip-roaring end to end game 5-2

So - it as a very short break (It's crazy season with a game every 3 days or so in a lot of parts!) and I allow the team to take some well deserved time off to spend with their families.

They had deserved it - They have been heroes for me

The press and pundits did not agree with my decision to give the players free time but everyone skipped in with fine spirits and ready to "go again" for the Brazil National First Division Campaign...................

But maybe the press and pundits like Tim Vickery(below) - South American Football Correspondant - AKA "Legendinho" knew a lot better than a novice Welsh manager Redknapp69

hosting images

And so it proved.........................

We could not get into our stride at all

* Was the step up in class against these huge teams all too much for us?
    * Did we really have the quality in players to compete? (given the tiny squad, no signings and major injury crisis)
    * Did the lack of coaches and staff finally have an impact?
    * Should the formation have changed sooner than it did?
    * Would lady luck and the rub of the green ever go our way (It never seemed to in the league campiagn)
    * Did the players have the determination to go on after tasting success earlier in the year
    * Did I make a bad decision in giving them some time off to spend with families?

All of these racked my brain and things were getting worse and worse.............The board were also getting twitchy...........

We tried to change formation

I went to a 442 narrow diamond. Maybe I should have gone light at the back given we had hardly any defenders

The injury pile up wasn't helping as was a game every 3 days with a squad that was running on empty

We even had a couple of players not turning up or performing poorly in training which unsettled the squad and got the fans riled

Things were not improving...............in fact they were getting worse...........

Then suddenly, it all came to an abrupt halt. The board called me into the dressing room and passed down the news that I knew was coming..........

I didn't fight it - I loved this club, the staff (actually - didn't have any staff apart from 1 physio!), the incredible players and the fans (although a number of them had clearly seen enough!)

I had played my part in giving them success and agreed that a change of manager may help revive fortunes

In the following hours, as I packed my belongings and left the training ground, I had one final job to do which was the "exit" interview/press conference

There was 1 question which came up again from the press.............

"You were on such a roll. Do you regret giving the players time off to go away with their families after the State Championship win? Surely this had a part to play in your downfall?"

My response was short and sweet "We all love football, but there are some things that are more important in life. Spending time with loved ones and I would never take that opportunity away from my players for what they did for this magnificent club"

We all then know what happened on evening of the 28th of November 2016 with LaMia Airlines Flight 2933

#ripchapocenese

Goals Scored
    State Championship - 54+8 in knockout stages = 62
    Brazilian Cup - 22
    Brazilian Champions Cup - 1
    National First Division - 19

Competitions Won
    50 points for winning the Campeonato Caterinense

Total Points = 154

P.S - An excellent challenge and I will run the game through until end of season to see how it went

Last edited by Redknapp69; 07-12-16 at 02:10 PM.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

VIP
    vCash
    Great story, Redders. A real tribute. I salute you!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Redders, that is a tremendous tribute. A marker set for all who follow.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Crazy change in form we had - baffling!

vCash
    Things got no better after my sacking - 1 point picked up from 6 games since I left

At least there was a random new formation!

vCash
    That formation is mental ! I'm amazed that they got one point

What is it called ? Headless chicken ?

vCash
    Definitely an emotional Challenge. To begin with I thought these legends couldn't be beaten as we didn't lose any of our first 14 games, even after all the loanees left.

Then though we were knocked out of the cup in the third round, losing the league games straight after each leg. As a result of those two defeats in the state championship finished the initial stage in second, either by 1 goal difference or head to head record - not sure which. But the guys came back strongly, dominating the play off stage, scoring 10 goals in those 4 games and conceding just 3. That was the least these legends deserved for their awesome performance. In total scored 58 goals (48 in the league stage).

I also was reduced to just a physio, but by now I had decided to make use of the experience in my squad and offered Bruno Rangel, Nivaldo and Rafael Lima the opportunity to begin a coaching career - I hope this was okay.

The step up in level was clear and I took a more defensive approach, and for a while it was working, was 4th after 7 games, despite most of them being away from home, but from there fluctuated around the top 15, some teams we just couldn't compete with but the guys gave it their all, ending up in 12th, with the board very pleased with the performance and honestly I couldn't have asked more from the lads.

I tip my hat to anyone who manages to finish top 4 here.

Total goals scored: 58 + 6 (Cup) + 37 (National League) = 101
    Points for competition = 50
    Total Points 151

I think that deserves a donation - which I'll do to the site.

Thank you guys for the challenge and the tribute. I think like most football fans my thoughts have been with the player's families and the fans since this terrible tragedy.

(Screen Shots http://smg.photobucket.com/user/RTMF...te%20Challenge )

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RTMFW For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great effort mate!

What sort of tactic/formation did you go for?

I'm sure some people will do well with a wib wob tactic but as you say with the restrictions it's certainly a tough ask!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

VIP
    vCash
    I also was reduced to just a physio, but by now I had decided to make use of the experience in my squad and offered Bruno Rangel, Nivaldo and Rafael Lima the opportunity to begin a coaching career - I hope this was okay.

very creative. I'm fine with this.

vCash
    I also liked the idea of giving the experienced players some coaching responsibilities. Very much in the ethos of the challenge.

Very good effort and a fine tribute

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AJ

vCash
    Mirroring my game at the moment redders. Great in the first league, good at the start of the other one and then injuires, fitness kicks in and a plummet is on the cards. Not sacked yet but I would imagine it's getting close.

vCash
    It takes a while to get to know your players but I did not have this luxury, thrown in at the deep end like this. With restrictions on buying and loaning players as in don't do it, ever, and starting a game where you know nothing about anyone or anything, why am I in 2 leagues? this challenge was going to be hard. I decided to use the same formation I have used to some success in the DTL, a modified 4-1-2-1-2, mainly as this suited the team that I had been given.

A few days after I took over all of the loanees legged it, apart from Silvinho. Maybe because his loan had another 3 months to go. A couple of youngsters were promoted for me to have a look at, De Sousa, a DLC, Schneider, a MC, which helped the cause no end.

The Santa Catarina State Championship proved to be a learning curve for all of us as it took a few games for me to find my best team and their best positions. Although we scored quite a few goals we ended up in 3rd position.

As you can see from this table, Chape had won the state play off final!

The board and players were ecstatic. The only down side was the cup loss in the third round to a very good Gremio side.

Still, onwards and upwards, and Chapecoense were now going to fight against the big boys. With no money, only enough players to fill a team sheet and a very dodgy manager.

We started well, with great wins against Atletico, Santa Cruz and the once mighty Santos. Things unfortunately went downhill after these 3 wins, we had topped the table briefly, and registered 3 draws and 7 defeats in the next 10 games which, not surprisingly, led to us plummeting down the table. What happened in the next 4 games, saved the season. Great wins against Corbitiba, Ceara and Figueirense pushed us back up the table to the heady heights of 11th before an end of season slump, 6 loses and 3 draws, saw us finish in 22nd place. Safe by 5 points!

The players kept on throughout the season, never moaning, never complaining, just getting on with the job in hand. Playing for Chapecoense. I played them when they were fit, I played them when they were knackered, and they still performed. I was very proud of them. To a man.

Kempes and Martinuccio led the line superbly, as you can see from their ratings, but Neto was solid at the back, as was Boeck in goal.

Although Kempes will get all the plaudits, and quite rightly, Cleber Santana chipped in with quite a few from Midfield.

As he also did on the assist count.

Having now spent a season with these players, getting to know them, virtually, what happened on November the 28th 2016, has hit me harder than it did when this horrible event happened. My thoughts go out to anyone affected by this tragedy.

R.I.P.

On a side note...

Goals scored in State League - 51
    Goals scored in play offs - 13
    Goals scored in Cup - 12
    Goals scored in National League - 35

Championships won - 50

Total points - 161
    Last edited by trunky; 08-12-16 at 11:55 AM.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast