Thread: Finally it works: it will be four four freaking two the next match! (442 NWW)

vCash

Finally it works: it will be four four freaking two the next match! (442 NWW)

Hey lads,

I had some time to play during Christmas so I took some time to work on a 4-4-2 classic formation (NWW).

I always wanted to create a 442 formation (classic, i.e., Gk-DR-DC-DC-DL ML-MC-MC-MR ST-ST) that worked in 0102. I am a huge fan of Arrigo Sacchi's Milan, a team that dominated European football using a classic 442 formation. Until now, I could never really do it satisfactorily: either the strikers would perform poorly, or the team would concede too many goals, etc...

After many tries I have finally nailed it. Ladies and gentleman, brothers and sisters, comrades and friends, I present to you a four four fucking two that works:

Formation:

Team instructions:

The basic idea is to have the wingers cut inside and let the full backs explore the width. The centre backs also move up slightly to create a triangle with the defensive minded MC when building up:

The left sided striker holds up the ball and links up with the midfield, while the right sided darts forward and plays off the shoulder of the opposing centre backs.

The MCL is a box to box kind of player (Gerrard, Scholes...) and the MCR the defensive minded one (Keane, Vieira).

The mentality is always NORMAL unless my team concedes a goal and is looking to hit back immediately, in that case I switch to ATTACKING. But I find that NORMAL mentality works best with this formation.

When we're one or two nil up, I normally change to:

And change the tackling to NORMAL as well. Even when playing at home I always do this change and still manage to score more and generally keep it tight at the back.

The tactic is a lot of fun to use. The strikers perform remarkably well, their set up is the following:

ST (left)
    This is the Dennis Bergkamp role

hold up ball, try through balls, free role (if the player has the attributes for it, if not, better forget about free role.)

ST (right)
    This is your Thierry Henry role.

run with ball and forward runs

Even though the strikers are overlaid in the with ball screens I find that the match commentary often states "ST (left) passes ahead to ST (right)" probably because of the forward runs instruction. I was surprised with how well the strikers perform in this tactic, for instance, playing with Glasgow Rangers Joe Garner managed to maintain a goal per game performance throughout the season! That's Joe Garner! Do you know who Joe Garner is? Neither do I.

The full backs are essential in this formation, if you manage to get a hold of a couple of pacey lads they will deliver assist after assist for your strikers.

Other player instructions:

GK
    hold up ball, mixed passing, no pressing, easy tackling

Full-backs
    Run with ball, forward runs, cross ball, pressing, easy tackling

Centre-backs
    no pressing, normal tackling

MC (right)
    Hold up ball, mixed passing (switch to short if the passing ratio is poor), no forward runs, hard tackling.

MC (left)
    Forward runs, hold up ball, mixed passing (switch to short if the passing ratio is poor)

Jordan Rossiter (Glasgow Rangers) played wonderfully in this role, as did Nurin Sahin (Dortmund) and Mowatt (Leeds).

Wingers
    Forward runs, run with ball, try through balls

ST (left)
    hold up ball, try through balls, free role (if the player has the attributes for it, if not, better forget about free role.)

ST (right)
    run with ball and forward runs

SET PIECES

Attacking
    everyone on normal except:

DCs: go forward

Full-backs: stay back

Defensive
    everyone on normal except:

1 winger (the fastest) go forward.

I find this set-piece set up provides a lot of variety to your corners (you'll notice an increase in short corners).

I experimented with Dortmund, Rangers, and Leeds United (2016 October update) and had good results with all of them.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Psmith; 05-01-17 at 11:33 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psmith For This Useful Post:

vCash
    FodFod2CF is the best ever 442

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fods View Post
    FodFod2CF is the best ever 442
    I have no doubt whatsoever that is true.

I don't think this is even a particularly strong NWW tactic. But it is the best NWW 442 (classic) formation I have ever managed to put together.

vCash
    This looks like something I'd like to test.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
    This looks like something I'd like to test.
    Follow the instructions mate as I said above, it's a lot of fun to use, the team scores loads and is surprisingly tight at the back.

Beware though, I'm not sure how it would fare in holiday mode.

vCash
    Should upload the tactic mate

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Offside Trap For This Useful Post:

316'sRegen Unattached
    yeah upload it and let the Pegster run it through the number cruncher

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 316'sRegen For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Make it so we can download it please.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny80s For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Come on lads, I provided a thorough description. What a lazy bunch you lot are

Here ya go:

https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/...IPiIGwlK%2BQdw

Cheers!