Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenge 35 - Out of Africa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zionmaster View Post
    Hic, this challenge seems to be very hard My wife will give a birth in the next day, so I'll be back after few weeks
    Come on man. Where are your priorities ?
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash

Don't see you doing it though mate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Yeah the tactic is fine mate, it fits the restrictions as it's got 3 or more defenders and wide men in the full backs.
    But the tactic rule has an and/or in it. Is that just a 'and' rule?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vunky For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Good spot, I copied that from another challenge so I've amended it now.

Thanks for pointing it out mate

vCash
    Forgot about the Liverpool game tonight so will probably be tomorrow I do the write up.

Yaya Toure is available on a free after leaving Marseille and he will talk terms but I can only offer a maximum of 5k p/w and he wants 9k p/w

Plenty of money in the bank though so I may ask the board for more wages.

vCash
    Forgot about Yaya - need to shortlist him!

Up to about 5th after around 15 games. On a good run now

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Just finished the first season on a second place with 67 points. Club Brugge was the champion with 71 points, I've lost to many points against the midlevel teams. Pity, but with CL qualification I hope to be good enough to get some quality players.

Also did win the cup with a 0-3 win over Kortrijk. Now preparing for the second all African squad.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Vunky For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    So ahead of the 2nd season mass changes to the squad would need to be done, everybody out (bar the 4 I'd signed already) and a whole new squad in. In total 6m was raised from the departures, while 25 were brought in for a combined 1.6m the biggest of which was the 300k signing of Gerard Bakinde from Unisport de Bafang. It became clear that wide midfielders weren't in abundance and initially full backs were hard to find, but in the end I managed to sign a couple of left and right backs, and with a plethora of strikers on offer I decided to go with a 4-3-3 formation for the season ahead, and this is how it went.

League - Winners! Once again we were in a battle with Club Brugge for the title, but we did enough to hold off their challenge and retain our title.

Cup - Winners! We overcome Charleroi (4-0 A), La Calamine (2-1 H), Club Brugge (4-1 A) and Beerschot Wilrijk (3-0 H & 3-0 A on agg) on route to the final were we would face the team who knocked us out of the tournament last year Gent. There was no disappointment this time though as we won the game 4-1 to give me my first Belgian Cup.

Super Cup - Winners! One for the neutrals, the first game with my new players was a great show of attacking football as the goals came thick and fast as 8 were scored over the 90 mins, with us getting the better of Club Brugge 5-3.

Champions League - 1st Group Stage 3rd Place. Drawn into a group featuring Man Utd, Atletico Madrid and Red Bull Salzburg it was always going to be tough to qualify from the group and that's how it turned out, although we did almost escape Old Trafford with a win until they equalised in the 86th minute to make it 3-3, but in the end we had to settle for 3rd place and passage into the Europa League.

Europa League - Semi Finals. First up were Dynamo Kiev and 2-0 wins away and at home saw us through to the 4th round and a tie with Ajax. We were in Amsterdam first and lost 3-2 with all the goals coming in the opening 38 mins, two of Ajax's coming from the penalty spot but we did the job in the return leg as we ran out 5-2 winners on the night, this time us scoring a couple of pens and Tim Krul being sent off on 40 for the Dutch Side. Spurs were up next and some how we left White Hart Lane 3-1 winners thanks to some clinical finishing and good goalkeeping, and it was the same score in the home leg to set up a Semi Final against Celta Vigo. Unfortunately, this is where this crazy run ended as we lost home and away 1-0, but what a time we had and it raised some decent cash too!

Player of the season would probably be striker Kennedy Boateng who signed from Medeama in Ghana for just 28k and repaid my faith in him scoring a fantastic 39 goals in 46 games, although Heritier Luvumbu who signed towards the end of last season managed 15 goals and 19 assists in 40(1) games also deserves a mention. I've made one signing already ahead of next year that of young Guinean midfielder Issiaga Camara from Horoya in Guinea for 450k and I've my eye on a couple more (including Yaya) but I'm in no rush to sign them unless another club bids for them. The only negative is some of the older players stats are declining quickly even with the ones only 31/32 (probably 41/42 actually ) but the training facilities are poor so thankfully the board agreed to improve them and now they are listed as top facilities with a youth academy, hopefully this will see them stats increasing once again.

Points this season

Belgian Pro League - 200 pts
    Belgian Cup - 100 pts
    Europa League Semi Final - 100 pts
    Belgian Super Cup - 50 pts
    29 signings made - (-)145 pts

Total for season = 200 + 100 + 50 + 100 - 145 = 305 pts

Total points on challenge so far =
    305 pts
    Last edited by AMC; 12-01-17 at 09:16 PM.

vCash
    Great stuff AMC! Fine write up!

Bitch of a CL draw but a fine run in Europa

Amazing double - smashing the challenge early doors!

Wibby/Wobbing?

Looks like it much needed for next year which is nice

I like the age joke as well

vCash

Yeah wib wob mate, to be honest I wanted the Europa League run to end earlier, I feared winning it and people thinking I was cheating I thought Ajax or Spurs would have at least posed more of a threat so after beating them I thought it was a real possibility, but Celta Vigo have always been a bogey side for me going back to 00/01.

7.5m in the bank now, 8m available for transfers but the board rejected my request for more wages so doesn't look like Yaya will be joining

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vunky View Post
    Just finished the first season on a second place with 67 points. Club Brugge was the champion with 71 points, I've lost to many points against the midlevel teams. Pity, but with CL qualification I hope to be good enough to get some quality players.

Also did win the cup with a 0-3 win over Kortrijk. Now preparing for the second all African squad.
    Missed this last night, good work mate, Club Brugge are indeed a bugger, they've run me close both seasons, well done on the cup as well.

Best of luck with the overhaul in the summer and getting them players in mate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post

Yeah wib wob mate, to be honest I wanted the Europa League run to end earlier, I feared winning it and people thinking I was cheating I thought Ajax or Spurs would have at least posed more of a threat so after beating them I thought it was a real possibility, but Celta Vigo have always been a bogey side for me going back to 00/01.

7.5m in the bank now, 8m available for transfers but the board rejected my request for more wages so doesn't look like Yaya will be joining
    Great effort. I thought it was me that had a problem with Celta Vigo (and BATE). Also, I thought it was me that wanted European runs to end
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Cheers mate, Celta and Depor always cause me trouble, not sure on BATE though.

vCash
    Season 2 is in november and I just finished my first CL campaign. Did have some trouble with the transfers and did make a geographical mistake, zo spoiled some money. Sold my whole selection for total € 5.500.000. Could be more, but had some problems with buying clubs who couldn't pay the fee.

The incoming transfer sum is also the sum that I did invest in new players. Really have some good players, and for the most I like my best player, with a firstname he really deserves: Godspower.

After 11 games in the first division, I have 26 points (8-2-1), Standard is the first with 28, Club and Gent do follow on 3&4 with 25 & 24 points. Everything close to each other at this moment.

My champions league poule was with Benfica, Juventus and Olympiakos. I only managed to get a point in my home game against Juventus, so didn't have any dream of playing in the CL after the winterbreak. But with my last game home against Olympiakos, I would have enough with a 2 goals difference win. I don't know why my players did this to me:

Now I have to build a new stadium, and still searching for my voice.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Vunky For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    May 2017 - Beveren

I've just finished my second year with Waasland-Beveren, and it will be a season to remember. Not only because of the achievements, but also intense tension in the last couple of matches, or even last couple of minutes in a game. A short overview:

Super Cup
    With my cup win in season 15/16 I deserved a spot in the Super Cup match at the start of the season. With a game against the champion Club Brugge it was a terrible start of the season. A well deserved 3-0 victory for Brugge and I was really in doubt if my selection would be good enough to have a good season.

League
    Waasland-Beveren and Club Brugge really made the most historical fight for the championship in Belgium history. Halfway february '17, Waasland-Beveren had a advantage of 5 or 6 points on nearest contender Club Brugge. But then I had a serie of games against Antwerp home (1-2) Anderlecht away (1-0) and Lokeren home (1-1). My advantage in points was gone, but still leading the table on a better goal difference.

19-04-17, a big game in the Jupiler Pro League because is was Club Brugge - Waasland Beveren. A game between the numbers 1 & 2 on the ranking where Waasland had a three points lead on Club. A really cautious opening 15 minutes, where I really expected a full attacking Club Brugge. Then minute 23, for no reason my central defender tries to kill Leandro Paredes with a two feed tackle, a red card for him. But my defence was really impressive that away day. MOTM, the defender who replaced the red card defender. With a 9 he was the big man in Brugge. The game ended with a 0-0.

An easy task to win the championship was to win at least 4 of the next 5 games, and the championship run did continue untill the last match. I had to play against Charleroi (away). My players did well under a lot of pressure and won this match with 1-3, for the first time in history Waasland-Beveren was champion of the Jupiler Pro League.

Cup
    Sixth round: OHL (home) 5-0

Seventh round: Charleroi (away) 2-2 - I've won the match on penalties, a game with three red cards (2 for Waasland), it was really close and I did not deserve to go to the next round. But I had more luck with the penalty shootout.

Quarter Final: Club Brugge (away) 1-4 - what a weird match, both teams had just four shots. My team was excellent in finishing, wow a really big win!

Semi Final: Sint Truiden (5-2 aggregate) - a first match 2-0 home win, and a fourth minute away goal, was already enough to go to the final.

Final: Lokeren - a real cup final, between two teams that wanted to win this big price. It was a game with chances for both teams, but a new player in Waasland-Beveren selection did decide this Cup Final. A 1-0 victory for Waasland Beveren!

Champions League & UEFA Cup
    For the CL story, see my previous post. Still can't believe that narrow escape, but I think that escape did get a payback in my UEFA Cup draw. With a lot of 'easy' teams my team did get a draw against Sevilla. One of the better teams I could draw, not very happy with it. The first match was in Sevilla and I lost with 1-0. At home it really looks like a perfect game. Sevilla did receive a red card in minute 2 and in minute 30. But with 11 against 9 I just manage to score 1 goal, penalties. From the 12 penalties in total both teams missed 7 of them. But my team couldn't cope with the pressure this time and missed four of the six. The end of my Europa campaign, and totally not necessary.

Player of the season
    Have to name a couple of important players.

Yakubu Mohammed - Wow, this player is so important as a perfect DMC. 25 appearences (because of a minimum fee clausule, I didn't play with him at the start of the season) and a average score of 8. Really impressive!

Godspower Aniefiok - Did mention him in my last post, great midfielder for me. 50 matches, 11 goals 16 assist. A fast powerhouse on the midfield.

Wishes for the future
    Have a lot of wishes, but really want to buy Rivaldo Coetzee. He's the perfect addition for my central defence.

Belgian Cup - 100 pts
    Belgian Super Cup - 20 pts
    30 signings made - (-)150 pts

Total for season = 200 + 100 + 20 - 150 = 170 pts

Total points on challenge so far = 170 pts

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Vunky For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vunky View Post
    Wishes for the future
    Have a lot of wishes, but really want to buy Rivaldo Coetzee. He's the perfect addition for my central defence.
    New season already started, and I did succeed in the transfer of Rivaldo Coetzee. With also some additions to my squad, I must be ready for a new season. The super cup, again against Club Brugge, and for the second year, I've lost. This time after penalties, with only 1 penalty promoted to a goal in 6 penalties for my team, I didn't deserve that cup...

The CL poule was a new meeting with Juventus, also Chelsea and Rosenborg in the poule. Didn't know what to expect from Juve and Chelsea, but in squad they should be better then my team. Rosenborg and Waasland should go for the third spot in the poule and UEFA Cup qualification. After four games, I had four victories, 12 points and already qualified for the next round with Chelsea following at the second position. Nice surprise for my financial man in the club.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Vunky For This Useful Post:

AMC

AJ is offline Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Vipers Striker Extraordinaire
    vCash
    Gonna give this a whirl just as soon as I finish the Alphabet Challenge with the new(est) dB.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Not sure ive gone about this in the right way. January in my first season and I have my squad of Africans, went for a scatter gun approach and I basically got carried away and Ive signed a load of crap. Hey ho lets see how it go's

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    I done the same mate - letting them all go for free now just to free up wages

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Season 1

League
    Head to head v Club Brugge leaders in penultimate game. We lose it. Then we draw last game of season v 10 men and superkeepered and we lose 2nd place. Down to 3rd and I do not think that is good enough for Champions league footie (and cash!) next season

Belgium Cup
    Going great guns then had a shocker in 2nd leg of S/F losing 6-4 on aggregate

Signings
    41 of them

Points for challenge = 41*5 = -205

Onto season 2 and have a decent squad but would like some new recruits. Have sold most of non African's for 0 - will see if I have to release any
    Last edited by Redknapp69; 16-01-17 at 02:10 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Hard luck there Red, best getting them slip ups out the way now though when points don't count although not getting CL and the money that goes with it is a blow.

Great stuff on the double Vunky, I need to check out some of them players as I haven't got them or even have them on my radar, although Coetzee is a name I recognise I think I also tried to sign him but have been unsuccessful in doing so thus far.

Best of luck for the season ahead Vunky, Red and Russ

vCash

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    3rd and i'm in 2nd round qualifying for Europa league - cheeky feckers!

I'm not wib wobbing either so I may not get the results you boys get

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    That's your own fault mate

I thought the challenge was tricky enough without making it non wib wob as well.

I'll have a look at the video later Derm, in work currently at won't show up - had to check on my phone to see what it was!

vCash
    no idea how to wib wob and cannot be bothered to learn - would rather tinker my own tactics

Chemical Bros. video of the sang "It began in Afrika"

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

AMC

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast