Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mandela Effect

vCash
    Excellent, i await the funding to pursue the research

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kengandhi View Post

In general I find that half the people in the world have below average intelligence.

vCash
    Yes. Very much so.

In general I find that half the people in the world have below average intelligence. This handful of people are almost certainly in the lower percentiles.

hmm its not in general...its a fact.....its how averages work...

half the people HAVE to be below average intelligence!...thats how you get the average!

I think your statement puts you in that bottom half!

vCash
    Technically not true the medium number would mean 50% below and 50% above.

For example 5, 5, 10, 15, 20 the average would be 11, whereas the medium would be 10, i.e. The middle number when arranged in order.

vCash
    as i said earlier ut would be a bell curve for IQ, probably closer to a quarter of tge sample woukd be "below average" (mean average)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by London35 View Post
    hmm its not in general...its a fact.....its how averages work...

half the people HAVE to be below average intelligence!...thats how you get the average!

I think your statement puts you in that bottom half!
    That's the joke.

vCash
    That's the joke.
    course it was...

vCash
    but memory is bugger all to do with IQ so we arent even talking the same fopic.

well a few were before, the balloon trip one reminded me of derren brown implanting false memories in people

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 316'sRegen View Post
    but memory is bugger all to do with IQ
    hmm not quite true...

Evidence suggests People with high IQs generally tend to have good long-term memory (i.e. they can demonstrate impressive general knowledge and powers of recall), but not all people with good long-term memories have high IQs.

example would be autistic savants, some of whom can perform almost superhuman feats of memorization and recall, but who do not score very highly on conventional IQ tests.

vCash
    but memory is bugger all to do with IQ so we arent even talking the same fopic.

well a few were before, the balloon trip one reminded me of derren brown implanting false memories in people

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CMCZ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    what i mean is how as cf says it isnt as fixed as we like to think. memory can be manipulated and even deleted or overwritten if you know how.i dont mean the abilities of the memory etc but more how a lot of if is kind of "filled in" by outside and internal influences.

i was trying to

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by London35 View Post
    course it was...
    It's a very common joke in my profession. Not particularly funny, but common nonetheless.

And I like how I'm the one being labelled as "below average intelligence" when credence, without any sources, is being given to a small number of people who think Nelson Mandela died in prison in 1991.

Film quotes and song lyrics are one thing and understandable, but not knowing a major world leader is alive, one who was regularly on the news and at major sporting events is not the behaviour of an intelligent person with a basic interest in current affairs.

My questions, given the lack of facts, are; How many people are affected by this "phenomenom"? How manybof them believe the "alternate timeline" explanation? Where are these textbooks you mention? What are their demographics? What are the sources? Who did the IQ tests?

vCash
    It's a very common joke in my profession. Not particularly funny, but common nonetheless.

And I like how I'm the one being labelled as "below average intelligence" when credence, without any sources, is being given to a small number of people who think Nelson Mandela died in prison in 1991.

Film quotes and song lyrics are one thing and understandable, but not knowing a major world leader is alive, one who was regularly on the news and at major sporting events is not the behaviour of an intelligent person with a basic interest in current affairs.

My questions, given the lack of facts, are; How many people are affected by this "phenomenom"? How manybof them believe the "alternate timeline" explanation? Where are these textbooks you mention? What are their demographics? What are the sources? Who did the IQ tests?
    https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country
    theyve been doing iq tests for years to test average iq of nations, what do you mean who did them?

No one claimed mandela actually died, the efect is remembering it wrong. I don't know how many people it affects but it's something to talk about, doesn't make all the people involved daft either in my opinion. I don't remember him dying but like you say i would watch news, he was on at least once or twice a year.

The alternate timelines etc are fun to watch stuff about, a lot of the videos are gluebags in fairness.

It's like you're offended at the stupidity of looking at something and talking about it.._

vCash
    https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country
    theyve been doing iq tests for years to test average iq of nations, what do you mean who did them?

No one claimed mandela actually died, the efect is remembering it wrong. I don't know how many people it affects but it's something to talk about, doesn't make all the people involved daft either in my opinion. I don't remember him dying but like you say i would watch news, he was on at least once or twice a year.

The alternate timelines etc are fun to watch stuff about, a lot of the videos are gluebags in fairness.

It's like you're offended at the stupidity of looking at something and talking about it.._
    I just don't like giving credence to nutjob theories. I think discussing them legitimizes them as potentially rational whereas the onus should be on the person making the claims to provide evidence that makes them worthy of discussion.

To me there are two different phenomena in this thread. Firstly, confabulation which is a genuinely fascinating thing. The field of dreams/waynes world example you mention is spot on. Also Craig Forrests post. This is something we all experience.

The second is the actual mandela effect. This is cuckoo bananas.

We all experience confabulation. You mention the Ford logo as being pertinent to you, for me I'd have sworn blind it was the Berenstein bears not Berenstain. But...rational, intelligent human beings accept the evidence and admit they were wrong. The people, the Mandela Effect believers, cannot accept the truth and assume it must be something supernatural or time travel based.... it's a crazy jump akin to those that believe in alien abductions.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kengandhi For This Useful Post:

vCash
    whether supernatural or not you are agreeing that the effect exists and you have noticd one that you remembered differently.

whatever the cause its a good discussion, its something to talk about.
    you think its crazy and ridiculous "nutjob" theories, but multiverse theory is part of M theory or string tgeory, are the top physicists on the planet "nutjobs"? They came up with multiverse long before this phenomenon was noticed.

So you disagree with what some people say, that par is spot on but what makes you thnk you can declare a topic stupid and shut down a cnversation on it because you dont approve of people talking about it?

im not even argung for any of the outlandish theories im just saying you or i or any of us cannot yet disprove extra dimensions or multiverse, stop thinkng you know everything, none of us do. Even though you mght think its shite, sayng no one should talk about things is absolutely disgusting to me. Very closed mnded approach but thats just my opinion, i enjoy discussing things and i just found this one. I dont actually enjoy football so much anymore but i wont be hitting the football thread to telleveryone theyre wasting their time watching sports etc.

vCash
    Top scientists and physicists working on string theory, submitti ng research to peer review is a world away from someone deciding they must come from a paralell universe because they've misremembered something.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kengandhi For This Useful Post:

vCash

The Mandela Effect

Create a thread for debate

Await replies

Disagree with everyone's replies

What's the point?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fods View Post
    Create a thread for debate

Await replies

Disagree with everyone's replies

What's the point?
    didn't create the thread for debate that's what it says, it's a disussion, there's no proposition here.

if you read the whole thread i've just heard about this and was sharing it here. Looking at different examples and trying to explain the plausible reasons for them.

what i'm saying is dismissing anything offhand because you're too smart for it is ultimately foolish. saying anyone that looks at a topic is an idiot for doing so was the disagreement.

vCash
    Even Freddie fell for the Mandela Effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPKlrRwJB8A

vCash
    didn't create the thread for debate that's what it says, it's a disussion, there's no proposition here.

if you read the whole thread i've just heard about this and was sharing it here. Looking at different examples and trying to explain the plausible reasons for them.

what i'm saying is dismissing anything offhand because you're too smart for it is ultimately foolish. saying anyone that looks at a topic is an idiot for doing so was the disagreement.
    Debate/discussion, same thing on an open forum.

I have read the whole thread of course, despite what you think I don't just post to get a rise from you Its probably more your belittling replies to peoples posts that I don't understand.

On topic, aside from the word changes in some of the quotes I don't recollect any of the others that have been mentioned

vCash
    Ford, Queen, i reckon most of the movies ones are covered in the simpsons mentioned earlier.

I didn't start with the belittling, i responded.

do you find this an interesting topic or is it stupid to share it here and get a discussion going about something?

vCash
    maybe its the reply you post when you are replying to someone posts, I don't know. I think you'd would be a nightmare to talk to in a pub after a few beers.

I never said it was stupid, to me its mildly interesting. I can relate to some of it as I said but the rest I think is bull shit

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Fods For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'm obviously reading this thread too much as this just came up as one of the ads down the side of my Facebook!!

http://www.trueactivist.com/millions..._medium=CPC_44

vCash
    That's brilliant!

Some of those were covered in the link I shared earlier but there are some new ones in there. I always knew the correct spelling for Looney Tunes and Cruella De Vil
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Moneybags has no monocle

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast