Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'The Sportacular Mag' Needs Your Input!....

316'sRegen Unattached
    Fred

vCash
    Clarence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    (1) Do you genuinely believe that this version of the game (01/02) is realistic? What I mean by that is, Do tactics actually have a real say so in how the match pans out or is it just a glorified spreadsheet that randomises results as it pleases?

There are some elements of realism in the game but very few relate to tactics. The AI tactics are probably a bit more realistic (except lone strikers scoring more than they should) than user tactics. Lots of user tactics show a flat 442 for instance but on the wibwib screens it could be 235 on some screens

(2) If SI were to somehow revert back to their old ways and include a version that was exactly like 01/02 with official updates (to go alongside their current FM game) would this interest a lot of you and would it sell well in your opinion?

I think it would. Basically moving the game from using more core would make it saleable again. But for in-depth changes this is my own take here. As you can see it's a landslide yes but it's a pretty biased place for the poll.

Selling well is going to be a tough one to judge. You'll have fans of CM0102 that are more into later CM's and FM's and will want things like 2D match engines and other expansions that take away from the appeal of this game.

(3) How far have most of you played this game to? What year have you got up to from playing the original database?

I am generally 10-15 years max. Like a lot I find it hard to relate to regens as generally anyone who plays has some sort of personal story angle.

(4) The updates that are made from this fantastic team, are the stats and things realistic to that of real life? Eg; are Sergio Aguero's stats realistic to how he actually plays in real life?

Yes and no. Mainly no in terms of accuracy. Why, because there isn't the scope in terms of attributes in the game. 2 basic attributes missing are height and weight. There's no real way of telling if a player that's good at jumping is a Tim Cahill type player or a Peter Crouch type player. Jumping tends to relate to height. Leap wise Crouch is pretty awful as he generally doesn't need to. Then you have the flip side where people think Cahill shouldn't have 20 for jumping due to his height.

From a yes point of view we do tend to work on performance when we can't match like for like. So some players may be a little over-powered in terms of attributes but this generally a better option than accuracy and the player performs like garbage.

The speed a player develops at is the main reason accurate attributes are hard to maintain. Pretty much every player will develop from the attributes assigned in the database to maxed out by the end of season 1 (those that get a game anyhow). So even after a couple of months a player will look 'different'

(5) Is it possible to be approached by other clubs to manage them whilst at your current team? Eg; if your at Wolves, can another club in England or Abroad approach you to manage them? What about International teams, can they approach you?

Yes. This tends to happen after you've moved club a couple of times. You get more links and offers for your native country and then by the languages you speak (even though you can't see this stat - 3 years in Spain is usually enough to take that you can speak Spanish). Some of the guys that make the patches fixed a known flaw where you could be the highest rep manager in the world but not have a chance of managing in another country due to nationality (or lack of).

(6) This whole Wib-Wob business, do you regard it is cheating or a skill in exploiting your opponents?

It's not cheating since it's part of the built-in game. It's not like using 3rd party software. It does whoever diminish a players achievement if they take one of the top tactics there are, load it in their game and do a Conference to Champions League type game. Even a new player can do this in 6-7 seasons quite comfortably with some tactics. I change the wibwob screens on some of my tactics just to have them playing in a more realistic manner, it usually means it's a little better but not by much. Generally to get an AMC or winger to get more assists or goals than they would with the default tactics

(7) Why is this game the best ever management game for YOU personally?

Simplicity with an element of depth. One can easily spend 2 days just scouting for players. It's known as a football manager/management game but essentially you are manager, coach, scout, director of football and vice-chairman all rolled into one. Of course there are loads of elements that need tweaking and improving but for a 16 year old game it can still hold its own. For instance just changing all the structures and competition names (lots done here and here) and relabelled CM16-17 would make it appealing to a vast amount of new users as an alternative to the juggernaut that is FM. I don't think that's being a bit nostalgic or biased, I think it would appeal to a lot of people. There are plenty of members on here that aren't in the 30-40 age group that play the game simply because it's a good game.
    Derm, to elaborate on your answer to Question 1 if you will, when you say vey few elements relate to tactics being realistic, what do you mean by this?

If for instance I set my team up in a 4-2-3-1 modern formation, how would this look on the Wib/Wob screen? If it didn't look anything like a 4-2-3-1 how could I realistically make my team to play in this formation on the Wib/Wob screen and would this automatically mean I'm guaranteed success with this tactic?

Also, by getting your team to play in the formation you want by altering the Wib/Wob screen, would this pretty much guarantee you a successful career or could you still be outwitted by the AI's tactics?

Thanks pal

vCash
    Also, do individual player instructions have any real bearing on a matches outcome? For example; if I set my whole defence on forward runs - yes would this realistically carry out what I want and would this leave my defence suspectible?

I suppose what I'm getting at with all this is, do tactics really have a say-so in a matches outcome?

316'sRegen Unattached
    Tapani said in one of his posts that player instructions carry huge weight in the game engine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 316'sRegen For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 316'sRegen View Post
    Tapani said in one of his posts that player instructions carry huge weight in the game engine.
    So the match engine commentary must certainly resemble the tactics and player instructions you set your team out with. Tapani is obviously a programmer who can see inside the games core, so if he says that player instructions have a huge say so, then they must do.

vCash
    Anything come of this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12