Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'The Sportacular Mag' Needs Your Input!....

vCash

'The Sportacular Mag' Needs Your Input!....

Hi everyone,

Firstly, let me introduce myself, my name is Jason and I am the editor of a new magazine that's in production (The Sportacular Mag).

I am an avid Championship Manager/Football Manager fan and we are trying to put a write up of this fantastic series in our magazine.

After speaking to many of loyal servants to the series, many believe that 01/02 was the best version to be ever created due to its simplicity, realism and speed of play. To see that a community like the one you have here, still updates the game to present day is absolutely phenomenal and I tip my hat to all involved.

I have a few questions that I would like to put into my article and if as many as possible of you could contribute with answers I will be sure to compile some of them.

The questions are:

(1) Do you genuinely believe that this version of the game (01/02) is realistic? What I mean by that is, Do tactics actually have a real say so in how the match pans out or is it just a glorified spreadsheet that randomises results as it pleases?

(2) If SI were to somehow revert back to their old ways and include a version that was exactly like 01/02 with official updates (to go alongside their current FM game) would this interest a lot of you and would it sell well in your opinion?

(3) How far have most of you played this game to? What year have you got up to from playing the original database?

(4) The updates that are made from this fantastic team, are the stats and things realistic to that of real life? Eg; are Sergio Aguero's stats realistic to how he actually plays in real life?

(5) Is it possible to be approached by other clubs to manage them whilst at your current team? Eg; if your at Wolves, can another club in England or Abroad approach you to manage them? What about International teams, can they approach you?

(6) This whole Wib-Wob business, do you regard it is cheating or a skill in exploiting your opponents?

(7) Why is this game the best ever management game for YOU personally?

I may have a few more questions that I would like answers to soon, but if as many of you as possible could contribute to answering these I would be most grateful. This would then give me a solid base to form my article.

Thank you for your time :-)

Jason

vCash
    (1) Do you genuinely believe that this version of the game (01/02) is realistic? What I mean by that is, Do tactics actually have a real say so in how the match pans out or is it just a glorified spreadsheet that randomises results as it pleases?

Nope, Far from realistic. It has it flaws just like the newer version of FM does, but its simplicity, ease of use and speed make it enjoyable. Yes tactics do have some say in the results of your team, but results arent reliant solely upon them. Player attributes

(2) If SI were to somehow revert back to their old ways and include a version that was exactly like 01/02 with official updates (to go alongside their current FM game) would this interest a lot of you and would it sell well in your opinion?

YES and YES!!!!!!!!

(3) How far have most of you played this game to? What year have you got up to from playing the original database?

Not as far as some have, but played up to about 2080 ish.

(4) The updates that are made from this fantastic team, are the stats and things realistic to that of real life? Eg; are Sergio Aguero's stats realistic to how he actually plays in real life?

In the main the answer would probably be no. Newer FM's could replicate things like playing style, or moves that certain players make such as likes to run with ball, hits ball with power etc. CM0102 cannot replicate this. But it does it's best with the limitations it has.

(5) Is it possible to be approached by other clubs to manage them whilst at your current team? Eg; if your at Wolves, can another club in England or Abroad approach you to manage them? What about International teams, can they approach you?

Yes you can be approached by other teams, but this doesnt happen a lot while you are employed. Well at least not for me.

(6) This whole Wib-Wob business, do you regard it is cheating or a skill in exploiting your opponents?

Skill in exploiting your opponents. Just like one manager outwitting the other IRL

Simplicity, speed of play, Nostalgia of it being the first management simulator I ever played

vCash

'The Sportacular Mag' Needs Your Input!....

Have you played the game, Jason?

I will reply later when I have a bit more time too

AJ is online now Member of the Month
    Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    (1) Do you genuinely believe that this version of the game (01/02) is realistic? What I mean by that is, Do tactics actually have a real say so in how the match pans out or is it just a glorified spreadsheet that randomises results as it pleases? It is somewhat realistic. May not be the most detailed thing ever.

(2) If SI were to somehow revert back to their old ways and include a version that was exactly like 01/02 with official updates (to go alongside their current FM game) would this interest a lot of you and would it sell well in your opinion? I would be interested, yes. Wouldnt do too much to sales, I'm afraid.

(3) How far have most of you played this game to? What year have you got up to from playing the original database? I've gone as far as 100 years once.

(4) The updates that are made from this fantastic team, are the stats and things realistic to that of real life? Eg; are Sergio Aguero's stats realistic to how he actually plays in real life? Yes, very much so. We're pretty good at that.

(5) Is it possible to be approached by other clubs to manage them whilst at your current team? Eg; if your at Wolves, can another club in England or Abroad approach you to manage them? What about International teams, can they approach you? Not sure, think you have to apply first.

(6) This whole Wib-Wob business, do you regard it is cheating or a skill in exploiting your opponents? All part of a game. IRL you have other means to outsmart opponents.

(7) Why is this game the best ever management game for YOU personally? This forum. Period.

vCash
    Seems strange for an avid player of champ/football manager and to not have played this game. If you are starting a magazine you will not be a really young person and 01/02 is not 16 years ago. So you must know all about why 01/02 is the best version.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to drkshadow1 For This Useful Post:

316'sRegen Unattached
    The wib wob ain't cheating, but if you know how to set it up effectively you'll pretty much win every game, which is boring.

It isn't super realistic although the guys do continually test with attributes etc to make it more soeach update. It feels to me like the patches created here have drastically changed how the game plays.

Sure they would make a few sales of the 0102 version, my bro spent a lot of time on a cm3 (pretty much)mobile app a couple of years back so yeah, people would play IMO.

My longest game was about 55 seasons. Once i was offerred the Real Madrid job and 400M to spend it felt like game over ( at that time, moving country in game meant starting again with no reputation so i had been usee to struggle/rebuilding teams)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fods View Post
    Have you played the game, Jason?

I will reply later when I have a bit more time too
    Yes I have my friend. I am very aware of this version, but the whole point of my article is to form the opinions of everybody about the game and the updated side to it.

Look forward to your answers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheSportacularMag For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drkshadow1 View Post
    Seems strange for an avid player of champ/football manager and to not have played this game. If you are starting a magazine you will not be a really young person and 01/02 is not 16 years ago. So you must know all about why 01/02 is the best version.
    You are correct my friend, I am in my mid 30's. The whole point of these questions and answers is the same as mentioned above, to form the opinion of everyone and not just myself.

Thank you to all those that have contributed so far, please keep them coming :-)

vCash
    Have you got a link to your magazine? Unable to find anything? Have aything in pre-prod you can share?

Some comments below

So/So - It's good enough for me for a 16 year old game. We do what we can with it but our tech guys are limited by what can/cannot be changed

Yes and well sell ok. There is still mass interest in it from around the world as can be seen on various social media groups. We also "sell" on ebay (the only reason we do that is to undercut the people taking our data updates and profiting from it - game and updates free on here of course but some people just prefer to buy if not to clever with computers). We have probably smashed through 2000+ sales on ebay in over 6 months with no real marketing behind it.

Can't say I go more than 10 seasons. I am not really a fan of the "regens" - probably done 30 seasons in one of the "challenges" we have but some have done 10 times that

From the attributes section whic are changed then these are very good. (from the updates and feedback from our members). There are other influences which we cannot change though

Yes - usually happens once you are a reasonable successful manager but other Clubs and Nations do then approach you for vacant jobs

I do not know enough about it and never use it and not really a fan TBH. But each to thier own

Because I do not want to spend 1 hour+ playing 1 "day" on FM. I think some people just prefer things a little simpler rather than the mass detail (which is great if you like that). Also the nostalgia of loading up older updates or ODB.
    This forum and the members are a BIG pull why a lot of people are here though. As you can see 01/02 is the main reason for the forum but there are sections for other CM series and then lots of off topic sections which prove popular

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Have you got a link to your magazine? Unable to find anything? Have aything in pre-prod you can share?

Some comments below

So/So - It's good enough for me for a 16 year old game. We do what we can with it but our tech guys are limited by what can/cannot be changed

Yes and well sell ok. There is still mass interest in it from around the world as can be seen on various social media groups. We also "sell" on ebay (the only reason we do that is to undercut the people taking our data updates and profiting from it - game and updates free on here of course but some people just prefer to buy if not to clever with computers). We have probably smashed through 2000+ sales on ebay in over 6 months with no real marketing behind it.

Can't say I go more than 10 seasons. I am not really a fan of the "regens" - probably done 30 seasons in one of the "challenges" we have but some have done 10 times that

From the attributes section whic are changed then these are very good. (from the updates and feedback from our members). There are other influences which we cannot change though

Yes - usually happens once you are a reasonable successful manager but other Clubs and Nations do then approach you for vacant jobs

I do not know enough about it and never use it and not really a fan TBH. But each to thier own

Because I do not want to spend 1 hour+ playing 1 "day" on FM. I think some people just prefer things a little simpler rather than the mass detail (which is great if you like that). Also the nostalgia of loading up older updates or ODB.
    This forum and the members are a BIG pull why a lot of people are here though. As you can see 01/02 is the main reason for the forum but there are sections for other CM series and then lots of off topic sections which prove popular
    Hi mate. Website is not up and running yet, but in production, hoping to have it up within 2-3 months.

Thanks again for the answers and please do keep them coming, the more, the better!

vCash
    I'm seeing that a lot of you are saying that the game is realistic to some extent. What about the tactical element tho, I'm intrigued to know your input on this? Not in a way to expose the game for it's flaws, but to really get a sense of the match engine etc.

Yes obviously the game is 16 years old and won't have as much say in tactics as the current FM's do, times have changed and games have got more technical etc. But realistically this game, if you were for instance winning 1-0 in a match and then put 10 men behind the ball and went defensive etc would the match engine recognise this as being a way of soaking up pressure and holding onto your lead or is it just a total randomness of results no matter how you set up?
    Last edited by TheSportacularMag; 29-01-17 at 12:41 PM.

316'sRegen Unattached
    The reason this version is the best is that it has the optimum level of detail. CM2 was great at the time but the new features of CM3 were reveloutionary. Hire your own staff, set your own training for individual players or groups, tweaking as you analyse the effects, Scouts, media interaction, greater tactical options, wib/wob, there's bound to be more i've forgotten. But you could still sit down and knock out a season in a few hours. As FM took over, they had to keep updating the evee expanding features in each new version, until i just lost interest. This version has got everything you need to feel like your team's destiny is in your control, without overcomplicating to the point of tediom.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 316'sRegen For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I think for me personally I would love to see the lads at SI include a version like CM 01/02 alongside the real game and the touch version.

I understand that they split with Eidos but i think deep down they know that their greatest success was this version of the game.

Don't get me wrong it's hardly needed when there is a fantastic team here updating the game to present day (I'm still absolutely thrilled to know people are actually doing this) but to have an 'official' release with a few updated elements to the game (but not too much!) would surely attract a massive audience.

I would ditch the mobile version of the game and include something like 01/02 alongside the full game and touch version. I can't see SI ever doing something like this though mind you.

vCash

The game can be quite tough and tactics are crucial for success. I don't think I would describe any of the games in the CM or FM series 'realistic'.

YES and YES.

The furthest I got was about 26 seasons with Juventus. At that point my star player was the legendary German bomber Memhet Ziller aka 'Zillini' in the Delle Alpi stands.

I think so.

Yes. But this can be improved if you use a patch that you find somewhere in the downloads section. But it's possible to have a journeyman career yes.

It's part of the game. I don't use it because I like to tinker with the tactics during the matches and it would take forever to do it with wib-wob.

To me the way the game is normally described does not capture the essence of the game. People refer to its massive database, or its realism, and so on. When in fact this game is in fact an endless narrative generator, a perpetual novel as it were. That's why the Stories section is probably the most active section of the whole site. The game creates a believable universe and then these endless narratives (epic, sad, boring, fun, etc) unfold and it's up to you to fill in the gaps. Just like reading a book. The fact that it's all text based also help.

316'sRegen Unattached
    That's a good point about them having to admit that this was the glory years, the golden edition as it were. I'd make the comparison to call of duty last year. The package with modern warfare seemed a good idea but it highlighted that what they pump out now is not really at that level.

I think they knew what they had at the time, I know of no other game with an addictedness rating

An official release however unlikely should start by reading through the requests on here of the players, changing some structures of competitions to modern day equivalents etc. But then some are changing again soon (WC) Not only that stuff but the creativity and ideas, challenges, scenarios, graphics pa is a d menubars, there's loads of ideas there from the guaranteed customers!

vCash

vCash

There are some elements of realism in the game but very few relate to tactics. The AI tactics are probably a bit more realistic (except lone strikers scoring more than they should) than user tactics. Lots of user tactics show a flat 442 for instance but on the wibwib screens it could be 235 on some screens

I think it would. Basically moving the game from using more core would make it saleable again. But for in-depth changes this is my own take here. As you can see it's a landslide yes but it's a pretty biased place for the poll.

Selling well is going to be a tough one to judge. You'll have fans of CM0102 that are more into later CM's and FM's and will want things like 2D match engines and other expansions that take away from the appeal of this game.

I am generally 10-15 years max. Like a lot I find it hard to relate to regens as generally anyone who plays has some sort of personal story angle.

Yes and no. Mainly no in terms of accuracy. Why, because there isn't the scope in terms of attributes in the game. 2 basic attributes missing are height and weight. There's no real way of telling if a player that's good at jumping is a Tim Cahill type player or a Peter Crouch type player. Jumping tends to relate to height. Leap wise Crouch is pretty awful as he generally doesn't need to. Then you have the flip side where people think Cahill shouldn't have 20 for jumping due to his height.

From a yes point of view we do tend to work on performance when we can't match like for like. So some players may be a little over-powered in terms of attributes but this generally a better option than accuracy and the player performs like garbage.

The speed a player develops at is the main reason accurate attributes are hard to maintain. Pretty much every player will develop from the attributes assigned in the database to maxed out by the end of season 1 (those that get a game anyhow). So even after a couple of months a player will look 'different'

Yes. This tends to happen after you've moved club a couple of times. You get more links and offers for your native country and then by the languages you speak (even though you can't see this stat - 3 years in Spain is usually enough to take that you can speak Spanish). Some of the guys that make the patches fixed a known flaw where you could be the highest rep manager in the world but not have a chance of managing in another country due to nationality (or lack of).

It's not cheating since it's part of the built-in game. It's not like using 3rd party software. It does whoever diminish a players achievement if they take one of the top tactics there are, load it in their game and do a Conference to Champions League type game. Even a new player can do this in 6-7 seasons quite comfortably with some tactics. I change the wibwob screens on some of my tactics just to have them playing in a more realistic manner, it usually means it's a little better but not by much. Generally to get an AMC or winger to get more assists or goals than they would with the default tactics

Simplicity with an element of depth. One can easily spend 2 days just scouting for players. It's known as a football manager/management game but essentially you are manager, coach, scout, director of football and vice-chairman all rolled into one. Of course there are loads of elements that need tweaking and improving but for a 16 year old game it can still hold its own. For instance just changing all the structures and competition names (lots done here and here) and relabelled CM16-17 would make it appealing to a vast amount of new users as an alternative to the juggernaut that is FM. I don't think that's being a bit nostalgic or biased, I think it would appeal to a lot of people. There are plenty of members on here that aren't in the 30-40 age group that play the game simply because it's a good game.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash

Its far more than a glorified spreadsheet, it may not be as realistic as some modern guises but remember;this is now 15 years old. and playable for FREE . Yes FREE. not upwards of 30 for a version which has the same team listings. It still remains as realistic as you need it to be,and the randomness just mirrors things that happen in the real world.

YES . it would be of interest. and YES i think it would sell well . the major advantage is still being able to plough through a season in no time at all . the newer games involve a level of detail that means it is very time consuming and takes an age to get into a season.

I think my personal record is around 2020. around that point i tend to lose interest with players i dont know and tend to start again.

i think the stats are pretty good on the whole . even the very expensive new versions have some glaring omissions. with the flexibility we have here and editors at our fingertips we can amend those errors when we choose to do so.

YES to other clubs approaching you. i am frequently poached by Cardiff and West ham. Not sure on internationals , i think they have to be applied for (and rarely won)

i believe WIB/WOB tactics are a fantastic way of getting into the game , For a newbiw. just download a great wibwob and thats one less thing to worry about. As you grow into the game people start to develop their own ways and tactics. Cheating NO useful YES

It was the game that got me hooked. Simple , quick and addictive.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to pyromyst For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Absolutely fantastic answers here from everyone, please do keep them coming!!

vCash
    Q: Do you genuinely believe that this version of the game (01/02) is realistic? What I mean by that is, Do tactics actually have a real say so in how the match pans out or is it just a glorified spreadsheet that randomises results as it pleases?

A: Just like what the other fellas have said, I think this game is realistic as far as it can be. It was fantastic for it's time and still is come 16 years later. I think tactics have an influence on games, certainly not like the new FM's do today, but surely the creators wouldn't have made the game if it was just a glorified spreadsheet? Where's the fun in that!

Q: If SI were to somehow revert back to their old ways and include a version that was exactly like 01/02 with official updates (to go alongside their current FM game) would this interest a lot of you and would it sell well in your opinion?

A: This would interest me 100 percent, it would be the best thing since sliced bread!! I think it would sell very well as it's clear that people love this great game. Fans just want a simple experience with enough depth to keep it moving along nicely at speed. I would however be one of the ones who would like to see a very basic 2D match engine introduced, it doesn't have to be fancy, just enough to be able to see your players carrying out your instructions.

Q: How far have most of you played this game to? What year have you got up to from playing the original database?

A: I would say a max of 5-10 seasons for me. I always seem to get an itch for a new challenge.

Q: The updates that are made from this fantastic team, are the stats and things realistic to that of real life? Eg; are Sergio Aguero's stats realistic to how he actually plays in real life?

A: I believe so. I would certainly like to think so anyway. The update team do a fantastic job and long may it continue!!

Q: Is it possible to be approached by other clubs to manage them whilst at your current team? Eg; if your at Wolves, can another club in England or Abroad approach you to manage them? What about International teams, can they approach you?

A: I'm unsure about this one tbh with you, I'm pretty sure that you can be approached by anybody if your managerial rep is up to scratch.

Q: This whole Wib-Wob business, do you regard it is cheating or a skill in exploiting your opponents?

A: I wouldn't say it's cheating, just a way in which you can be more in depth with tactics and eventually mastermind the computer opponent. I don't think the game at that time had the capacity to adapt to these 'super tactics' (once you mastered them).

Q: Why is this game the best ever management game for YOU personally?

A: It's without a shadow of a doubt the best game I have ever played in my 27 years of life. I still crave for it now, 16 years on. Yes there are things I would like to see improved on it, but not by a great stretch. The game is near on perfect in speed, depth and playability. Closely followed by SWOS and the early ISS & Pro Evo games, this game is without doubt the greatest video game to ever be created IMO.

AJ is online now Member of the Month
    Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Only game I play. Ever.

vCash
    ISS Deluxe, what a game

vCash
    The questions are:

I want to believe it's realistic and the choices I make will make me a champion because of the decisions I made. Ofcourse it's not a perfect simulation of the real life, but altough limited somehow realistic enough.

What I definitely would love is CM 01/02 but with current rules and the new set ups of competitions. (Group League in Europa Cup, no 2nd Group Round in CL and all 48 nations in the upcoming WC)

Not more as 25 years. I am just curious to see how the young talents develop, but when the % of regens is getting too high, I loose interest.

Yes for the most known players, but not for the less known players and clubs. There are simply not enough people who could offer the team info of these players to get them realistic.

I'm pretty sure that's possible.

It's part of the game, so not cheating to me. The creators created a port to import tactics so it should be allowed

Too me the fun is to edit the database to create 'as most as possible' simulation of real life in this time and the future. As I'm finished editing it's fun to see if the game reacts how you wanted to react. Another part I like is the game is never the same. A player who was once your 'big man' can be a lot mor shittier next time you use him.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to CMCZ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSportacularMag View Post
    Hi everyone,

I think it has a good degree of realism against time taken to play. Personally i dont want to play a game thats so realistic it takes me forever to do a season because of all the intricacies. Tactics do have a say.

It would interest me. I think it would have the potential to sell well 1) in the nostalgics market, and 2) on a more portable device

Over 100 years. In season 2111/2112 at the moment

I'm new here, so i've not actually downloaded any of the updates. I'm still on the original.....

You can get approached. I find that inter-club approaches tend to be when your reputation is increasing, and international approaches tend to be once your reputation peaks. Once you've been top for a while, at a top reputation club no-one approaches

Perhaps a bit of both... Initially its a skill, but eventually you can rely on slightly unrealistic successful tactics if you wanted

The balance of realism vs time to play. The fact that you can put it down for a long time, and then pick up seamlessly.

I may have a few more questions that I would like answers to soon, but if as many of you as possible could contribute to answering these I would be most grateful. This would then give me a solid base to form my article.

Thank you for your time :-)

Jason
    dave

vCash
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast