Thread: Grey Players

vCash

Grey Players

After not receiving any responses over in the CM 00/01 forum, I thought I'd post this here to reach a wider audience as it also applies to the 01/02 version of the game. I remember from my teens playing earlier incarnations of Championship Manager (CM2/CM97/98 . . . ?) that you were able to use the 'grey' players that appeared in your squad if you lacked enough 'real' players. In CM 00/01 (and 01/02), if you inherit a squad with any grey players, or indeed, composed entirely of them, they don't stick around once you take control of the club. If you get to the last screen before a match, there is literally no way to proceed because you cannot meet the minimum team selection requirements. However, if you go on holiday, I recall that the assistant manager happily gets a plethora of grey players to choose from where needed. Also, the grey players stick around in the reserve team if you choose to manage that. Shouldn't the grey players fill out your first team squad to offset any significant deficiency in player numbers? I thought that was their purpose, even though they're pretty rubbish. Is there a way of getting them to remain? Otherwise, are you doomed to hit an impasse on match day if you have an empty squad?

vCash
    My squad always gets filled with grey players when I don't have enough to field a team. That's 01/02 anyway!

vCash
    Ha! I finally figured it out after all this time. I enabled the 'Include Reserves' option in the squad view and VOILA! Less than obvious, if you ask me, and strange that it's not enabled by default. In my defence, nobody else suggested it either . . .
    Last edited by Dr. Conquest; 13-02-17 at 06:39 PM.