Thread: Difference between striker and forward

vCash

Difference between striker and forward

Hi all, I am relatively inexpert in the game in comparison to the average forum member so have a question a little silly for most of you but very important for me, I have noticed that in this game there are two roles which are very similar if not overlapping and are striker and central forward, I have tried in the tactics to have a system where the striker is used but seem to me that the only role in the attack zone is forward which can be left, central or right, the striker role is never used in the tactics screen indeed you can't pick a player for the striker role but only for the central forward role, so I think the central forward role and the striker role are overlapping because the striker can only be central.

Am I right or there are some differences between these roles?

Sorry if the text is little comprensible but I'm not native english speaker.

Thanks in advance to anyone who will respond, fantastic forum for a fantastic game.

vCash
    A striker can play up front in a central role only.

There are 4 types of forward

1) A striker who can play left and/or right as well as central
    2) A striker who can also play as AMC
    3) A striker or AMC who has Free Role set
    4) Any combination of the above

To see which type you have (without using an editor) use the player compare feature and compare your forward with a goalkeeper. Look to see if they have stars against attacking midfielder and/or forward.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ok, so the main difference between the two is that a striker cannot play left or right or will play in that position with a penalty while a forward is generally more versatile and can play sometimes in other position depending on the player.

I will take a look in training if is possible to instruct a striker to become also a forward and play in other positions but I don't think is possible.

vCash
    In my experience retraining a player for another position rarely works and usually pisses them off from playing in the one that they can play in.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    This is not far from how it works:
    FC: this player have 12 or higher for both attacking midfielder and attacker OR could have 20 attacker and free role, and 1 for attacking midfielder. Less than 12 for both left or right side.
    FLC/FRC/FLRC: this player have 12 or higher for left or right (or both) and central. He has at least 12 for attacker, but could have 1 for attacking midfielder.
    S: this player has less than 12 for free role, left, right and attacking midfielder, but 20 for attacker and central.

As mentioned earlier, the compare tool is very useful for finding out what position the player is more comfortable in.

vCash
    I only recently discovered that there is no difference betfeen FC and S in the swedish translation of the game, as they are both translated into the same word. I had three players that appeared to be the same position in my squad but when I switched to english I saw that two of them were strikers and one forward. Imagine what more things I've been missing these 16 years from playing in swedish.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Felix For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Any of the above mentioned players with 15+ for Midfielder with load as AMC/FC or AM/F LC etc.

vCash
    You can also filter your squad so that you can only see midfielders. If the player shows up they have 15+ rating for Attacking midfield. If they don't show up when viewing midfield they either have 15+ rating for left or right (whoch you will be able to see from their position) or they have 15+ rating for free role.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Dalglish's Smile For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks KDS, that's a much quicker way of checking as apposed to comparing to gk. Very helpful

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Whyme For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Dalglish's Smile View Post
    You can also filter your squad so that you can only see midfielders. If the player shows up they have 15+ rating for Attacking midfield. If they don't show up when viewing midfield they either have 15+ rating for left or right (whoch you will be able to see from their position) or they have 15+ rating for free role.
    Interesting. I've always wondered why some "strikers" (as they appear in swedish) shows up when I search for midfielders!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Felix For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyme View Post
    Thanks KDS, that's a much quicker way of checking as apposed to comparing to gk. Very helpful
    But the compare will give you an indication as to whether they are better as an AMC or SC if they get listed as both.

vCash
    A striker with M1 AM1 A20 but 15+ for Free Role will load as FC. Guess it indicates a #10 type player as the AI will use the player in AM roles like default 532 Attacking that's really a 5212