Thread: 4-1-3-2 Defensive Beast (17 clean sheets in 24 games)

vCash

4-1-3-2 Defensive Beast (17 clean sheets in 24 games)

Download Link - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...ndnQ21RbEpYUDg

I created this tactic from scratch myself which started as a basic 4-3-1-2, which I then edited in the WIBWOB screens, which turned it into a 4-1-3-2 that switches to a 4-3-1-2 when attacking.

Tapani 2.21 patch
    Oct 2016 update
    No editor/cheating!

I got promoted via the playoffs with Wolves, and am 24 games into my first Prem season and 5th in the league with the following record:

P24, W11, D11, L2, F18, A9 - 17 clean sheets!!

It would have been 6 goals against but I uncharacteristically lost 3-0 at home to Everton - The only time I've conceded more than 1 goal in a game! I've also not conceded a single goal to any of the giants - Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea or Tottenham (as of yet).

Admittedly I'm not scoring many either but then again my usual strikers are Benik Afobe/Mame Diouf, so with better ones I'm sure they'd put more of the chances away.

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS:

Normal - If I'm not creating much then I switch to Attacking (only at home though, unless 2 goals down away and need goals)
    Short - Unless I'm not creating much (home or away), then I switch to Mixed.
    Hard Tackling
    Pressing YES
    Offside Trap YES
    Counter NO
    Men Behind Ball NO

Player instructions for the midfielders/attackers are set based on their attributes, apart from them all being on zonal marking. Defenders however have a set of rules I strictly follow:

Full-backs - Always set to man-marking to deal with the wingers (if no wingers then put on zonal)
    Centre-backs - Always set to zonal as most teams play with one up front. If they play two strikers then switch them both to man-marking.
    DM - Always set to man-marking to deal with opposition AM or any CM with runs to the AM position. If neither of those apply then set to zonal.

Defensive Set-Pieces - Everyone set to BACK apart from the AM on NORMAL and my fastest striker on FORWARD.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm mainly wondering if this tactic could either be useful for lower league managers struggling with conceding goals, or if top teams will score more goals with it whilst maintaining the same defensive side of it. My defence is nothing majorly special after all as you can see from the screenshot. Engels and Wollscheid are both pretty good stats wise, but the full-backs are only good, not amazing. My GK has the highest average rating in the league but he's nothing special stats wise, and I had a different keeper (Begovic) until I was promoted that always played to a high rating and didn't concede many either.

Cheers for reading,
    Nick.
    Last edited by WolvesNick; 19-02-17 at 04:44 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolvesNick For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ok so did a quick one season test with Barcelona in Holiday mode, using the above tactic. Almost had an Invincible season! Won the Spanish Cup, but lost 3-2 in the champions League Final to Bayern.

Goals scored:

I'm going to try it with a League Two team next.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolvesNick For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ok so tried with Plymouth in League Two and finished 6th. Lost in the Playoff semi-final to Blackpool.

Not great results, but then again the board's expectation was to avoid relegation, so not too bad really.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WolvesNick For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Try this my tactics.
    It's worth.
    4132 Revolution

https://www.sendspace.com/file/xoq66b

vCash
    I'll take a look cheers.