Thread: Managing A Giant Killer Situation...

vCash

Managing A Giant Killer Situation...

Just wondered how everyone approaches games against 'massive' opponents?

For example; just like in real life tonight, if you managed Sutton United on your CM 01/02 save and got drawn against Arsenal in the FA Cup, how would you set your team up for that match?

What formation would you play? What team instructions would you set? What player instructions would you alter? Would you set your players to man mark anyone in particular? etc

vCash
    I don't know if its just me, but I pick a tactic and go with it regardless of the opponent, home or away. If I am losing I will sometimes sacrifice the DMC for an extra striker, and if I am winning I sometimes adjust the mentality from Attacking to Normal but that's about it, nothing drastic.

If your a non league team playing a top prem team in champman your going to lose maybe 90 times out of 100 regardless of what tactics your playing so take the extra cash and strengthen your squad.

vCash
    I stick to my formation but pick players that are better defensively for games like these. For instance a fullback who is D/AMR with good dribbling and crossing might get dropped for a DR with good tackling and positioning. The same in midfield, maybe sacrifice a creative AMC for a hard working DMC or MC with good tackling and passing.

vCash
    Man marking on opponents key midfield player (Iniesta for example)

vCash
    For any team playing 433 this is my usual setup (NWW)

Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    For away games against the likes of Barca and RM I go man-to-man marking on their 3 front men, 3 midfielders and 2 fullbacks and have a DMC and an AMC on zonal marking (so 31511) but pressing and men behind the ball switched. The DC's needs to be play long ball or direct passing though.

Can throw up some unexpected results. Basically if you can survive until halftime there's a chance

vCash
    Interesting stuff Derm.

When I first played the game I'd always go defensive away in big games, even if I was a big club as well ie Liverpool away at Utd, Milan away at Juve.

Nowadays though I just keep everything the same regardless, or may go with slightly more defensive midfield players in the centre of midfield.

vCash
    Just NWW. With a strong wibwobbed tactic it's just all out attack 24/7, even with minnows against the big guns

The 433 that's in the data updates is a very strong NWW tactic (everyone zonal marking, short passing, pressing and offside trap by default)

vCash
    Out of curiosity, how come the 433 is updated to something stronger and the rest are still as is? Would be great if the others were brought up to the same level.

vCash
    Then they would balance out

A couple more strong ones would help for some of the stronger teams though.

The default 433 was some wonky variant of 433, we wanted one that if we have the AI they would play 433. Info0 managed it here http://champman0102.co.uk/showthread...7200#post87200

As yet no-one has cracked having the AI play 4231 which would solve bazillion position and rep changes we have to compromise on e.g. Martial is more left midfielder than left winger to fit into 451. If we gave United 433 the guys playing wide left and right would have to become SC which is not even remotely accurate for the likes of Mata and Mkhitaryan

vCash
    Well shouldn't the AI tactics be of relatively equal quality? Seems a bit odd for the AI managers with 433 preference to have a massive advantage over the others.

vCash
    They should but no-one is willing to put in the time to create and test them all it seems. Well anyone that knows fully what they are doing.

Most teams that play a pure 433 are pretty strong anyhow, Barca, Real Madrid and PSG (maybe more 4231 these days though).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    They should but no-one is willing to put in the time to create and test them all it seems. Well anyone that knows fully what they are doing.

Most teams that play a pure 433 are pretty strong anyhow, Barca, Real Madrid and PSG (maybe more 4231 these days though).
    If I was to play a 4-2-3-1 would that be a decent tactic to use? I'm talking the modern 4-2-3-1 of today. Would the match engine understand it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierney-LFC-1990 View Post
    If I was to play a 4-2-3-1 would that be a decent tactic to use? I'm talking the modern 4-2-3-1 of today. Would the match engine understand it?
    4-2-3-1 modern tactic which i always use. Good tactic!
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/35fq2s

14. The Following User Says Thank You to scemoka For This Useful Post: