Thread: sleeping giants (clubs)

vCash

sleeping giants (clubs)

I am (still..haha) working on the 94/95 database now and then and i am wondering what is the best way to make sure certain clubs will go up to the higher league within a couple of years. (also, I wanna know about how I could make clubs go down the leagues easily..)

For example; I would like to see clubs like Leeds, Nottm Forest, Blackburn, who had great teams in 94/95) to go down to a lower level when seasons are passing, but on the other hand; teams like Swansea, Bournemouth etc. to go up. So that, in the end, leagues will end up looking more like the leagues in the current and past few years.

Should I add a chairman with high number for resources?
    Should I already adjust Club reputations?
    Should I add a high number for training?
    Should I give them scouts with high values for judging players ability?

I don't want them to spend ridiculous amounts of money in a first year, so adding a high amount of cash is not the way to go.

Anyone has an idea on this?

FF

vCash
    High training, owning their own stadium and decent average attendance with scope to improve will help. With a decent income they can maintain the training facilities and get a decent wedge of the best regens.

After that not sure what you could do bar have future transfers set up of decent players

To cause a demise do the reverse, money (or lack of it) is the quickest way to have a team drop down a few divisions. Plus with poor youth players and not much money they should start to drop off. Poor players on really long contracts bit of a cheat too.

Bar high interference and low patience the chairman's role hasn't huge benefits. Remember to make them young enough to last, if they retire a new board could take over and spoil things. Low resources should help, so the chairman can't repeatedly bail out the club but there's no significant testing about to prove their impact for a financial POV

Having brilliant staff with high ca/pa and decent attributes will have the bigger clubs come circling for them. Even though if I'm not mistaken attribute numbers will be more appealing in terms of coaches and scouts than ca/pa to the AI clubs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz Ferdinand View Post
    I would like to see clubs like Leeds, Nottm Forest, Blackburn to go down, but on the other hand; teams like Swansea, Bournemouth etc. to go up.
    Why on earth would you want Leeds, Bburn and Forest to go down?? Surely they must be considered bigger clubs than Swansea and Bournemouth?

But to answer your question, I think your suggestions are good. Combine low reputation (won't attract big players), poor training facilities and staff (players won't get better), players who lack important skills for their positions (will lose games) with no money to buy new players and a club will automatically struggle.. And the opposite for clubs that you want to head the other way.

Cash is not a guarantee, in one game I kept buying crap players from Bristol Rovers, who was in third division, but they only climbed one division in ten seasons. 'Sponsored' them with around 10M per season. They bought a lot of players but it was more quantity over quality. Maybe their managers/scouts sucked, I don't know.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicAnt For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Some of the mentioned clubs were maybe some bad examples, but some clubs that were big in 94/95 don't have the same reputation anymore. In the 94/95 season, Ajax was the champions league winner, had one of the strongest squads in Europe and as well, they could attract highly reputated players in that time. Nowadays we are deligthed that a team like Ajax survives the group stage of the EL. Soccer has changed a lot in 22 years. The level of the league is going down, simply because clubs have no money to spend anymore. In the 94/95 season, the league was quite strong and it would be realistic i.m.o. if I could apply this into a database. That some leagues or clubs get stronger, while others relegate to lower leagues. It should be tested though if it really works for some teams.

Hoffenheim, for example, is a very good example of teams that went up from regional divisions (in 1994/1995) to the Bundesliga in 2007 and that's where they still are. Somehow I want these things to be reflected in the database if possible. When starting a game, they do not have to promote every year so that in 4 seasons they will be in Bundesliga every time you play the game, but seeing them going up slowly would be nice i.m.o.

vCash
    If you play CM long enough (at least with the original version and database), you will see that happening naturally... the problem is that it seems random.

I haven't tested anything but all the sugestions might give you results faster than you would like... after all Leeds were good in 94 and still good in 2002. Then play and see what happens. I've seem Benfica, Milan, Manchester United, Liverpool (even with Gerrard and Owen on the team at their prime), Lazio and some other big clubs on the second division... the milan case was stupid... it was my brother playing and they had lots of money.

Then I've seen some curious cases in Portugal... Seixal on the first division, Amora as a portuguese powerhouse, I think that it was brighton competing to win the champions league, some crazy scottish and french teams going to the top... almost everything with the original version.

Too much randomness...

vCash
    hello did you ever complete this data update?