Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cottage of Dreams

vCash

The Cottage of Dreams

The Cottage of Dreams
    A Liam Story

It's been a while since I created a story on here, and I have also had a lot of stories that I had never seemed to finish. I guess it was because of lack of interest due to the club, technical difficulties, lack of a challenge or life catching up with me (Have a little boy now) so I went back to the drawing board. The reason I guess I lost interest in this game was the ease of winning. I have read a lot of Samsami story and it has interested me a lot. So I have decided to do a story a bit like his. I have enabled Harder AI for enjoyment reasons, and will be starting at the team that I support through thick and thin, Fulham FC.

So here we go. The day of reckoning is upon me. I take up my role as the manager of this somewhat prestigious football club. Hoping to bring back the glory days, which were only a few years ago.
    Last edited by Liam; 30-03-17 at 11:43 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:

vCash
    will keep an eye on this

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    After being in the job for 26 seconds, I can see a face that I hate. Chris Martin. Now although he may be one of (if not, our only) our decent strikers, what he has done to the Fulham faithful has been nothing more than disrespectful. I sent him back to Derby without a shadow of a doubt.

There were a few others that I had decided to add to the transfer list, and although Scott Parker was a player that I felt wouldn't play so much this season, a place on my coaching staff was open for him. I would love to have Scott Parker as a coach of the club, so that was one contract offered. I booked in a few friendlies with varying clubs to see where we would stand over the season, those opening games would be;

21/07/2016 - Besiktas (H)
    24/07/2016 - Hull (H)
    28/07/2016 - Yeovil (H)
    31/07/2016 - Farnborough (A)
    04/08/2016 - Liverpool (H)
    07/08/2016 - Shooting Stars (H)

A lot of fixture congestion for friendlies, but I will be trying out the squad and seeing where we may need improvement.
    Last edited by Liam; 30-03-17 at 12:20 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good luck! Try and finish this one

Stories are few and far between these days so good to see a new one starting up.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So already my first friendly is upon us and we have managed to bring in 2.5mil for the following players;

Magnus Norman (GK) - Released
    Larnell Cole (AM RC) - Blackburn - 2mil
    Jack Grimmer (D R) - Hibernian - 500k

So, our first game is upon us. We will be at home to Besiktas

Fulham vs Besiktas

Unfortunately, first choice centre back Ragnar Sigurdsson is injured for this game, so we go with Kalas and Tim Ream at CB. I have decided on a 4-2-3-1 formation for this match, which is subject to change and testing against other such squads. The starting line up is as follows;

I knew it was a difficult match to come straight into without knowing which tactic I was going to play this season, but I felt my team held their own quite well. We were 1-0 by half time so I made 8 changes to see what we could change. Things looked a bit more appealing when we went 1-1 after substitute Cauley Woodrow pulled one back, but it weren't to be as the Turkish giants made it 2-1 with 10 minutes to go.

Spoiler!

More bad news as it appears Sone Aluko will be out for 2 weeks with a twisted ankle too.
    Last edited by Liam; 31-03-17 at 01:38 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Will Aluko make it back for the start of the season?

2m a decent fee for Cole - Must be one for the future.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

vCash
    Looking forward to seeing how this story develops. I've been think in of downloading the hard AL tactic myself for a stiffer test so interested to see how you do and which tactics are used. Are you wib/wobbing?

What are your expectations? playoff push?

Out of interest what did Chris Martin do? first of heard of an issue.

vCash
    So maybe not the best of results but that's what friendlies are for, testing out your team and checking out new tactics. Next up would be another tough test in Hull City. Also was the draw for the EFL Cup 1st round, where we have been handed an away draw to Swindon, which could be difficult. However, we saw another couple of players leave the club for pastures new;

Sean Kavanagh (D/M L) - Leeds United - 1.1mil
    Richard Stearman (D C) - Reading - 2.3mil

So up next, Hull City

Fulham vs Hull City

I decided to stick with the tactic that gave us a narrow defeat to Besiktas, and switched the team up a bit. Once again looking to make the maximum (or close to) amount of subs at half time. Things were made a little difficult with an injury to Ryan Fredericks in the 16th minute, so in came Dennis Odoi. The 27th minute saw Tom Cairney pick up on a loose ball after an Andrew Robertson tackle on Kevin McDonald, and blast it into low into the corner. The lead didn't last long as Dieumerci Mbokani struck a low drive just 3 minutes later.

Half time came and once again, 7 subs were made, with one already being made and leaving one spare for any potential injuries.

Not much happened and then the game blew into life in the 70th minute. Matt Smith headed home after a great cross from Ryan Sessegnon. Just 7 minutes later, Neeskens Kebano's shot deflected off of Brian Lenihan and in for an own goal, putting us 3-1 up. A great day for the team was made greater in the 85th minute when Eldin Jakupovic tripped Jozabed in the box, gifting Matt Smith his second goal of the game from the penalty spot. The final whistle blew and we were happy with a surprising, resounding victory.

Spoiler!

More bad news as Ryan Fredericks will be out for 3 weeks with strained knee ligaments
    Last edited by Liam; 03-04-17 at 04:56 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Will Aluko make it back for the start of the season?

2m a decent fee for Cole - Must be one for the future.
    Aluko should make it for the start of season, 14th August is our first game
    Cole's stats didn't look too bad and he is aged 23. Was on loan at Inverness, just have a lot better options.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie22 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing how this story develops. I've been think in of downloading the hard AL tactic myself for a stiffer test so interested to see how you do and which tactics are used. Are you wib/wobbing?

What are your expectations? playoff push?

Out of interest what did Chris Martin do? first of heard of an issue.
    Not Wib/Wobbing. The AI tactics replace the default tactics in this game, so using one of the default/harder AI tactics if that makes any sense at all? Mid table consolidation for this season depending on if I can find a tactic I like or not.
    Chris Martin joined us on loan at the beginning of the season, and was looking likely to sign at the end of season. However, When McLaren took over at Derby, Chris Martin signed a new contract with Derby (Who at the time were also pushing for playoffs) whilst still on loan with us. I would say a massive conflict of interests, however, we have to keep him due to limited striking options currently at the club.

vCash
    A couple of transfers happen in the few days between our fixtures, and I can confirm that the following players have joined the club;

Gregoire Defrel joins us from Sassuolo for a fee of 5.5mil.
    Spoiler!

Mamadou Sakho joins us from Liverpool for a fee of 4.5mil
    Spoiler!

And on to the next game!

Fulham vs Yeovil Town

A bit of an easier challenge than those of previous, and it was a game that saw Defrel and Sakho make their debuts. The 22nd minute was when the deadlock was broken, as Gregoire Defrel headed from a Neeskens Kebano cross. Half time came and the 8 substitutes made their way on the pitch. In the 52nd minute Floyd Ayite was brought down in the box by goalkeeper Jonny Maddison that resulted in a penalty and a red card for Maddison. Matt Smith stepped up and slotted it home, bringing the game to 2-0. 57th minute came and Lucas Piazon made it 3-0 in bizarre fashion. Substitute goalkeeper Artur Krysiak's goal kick was headed in by Lucas Piazon straight from the kick! Piazon stunned that his header made it in, and he scores in somewhat bizarre circumstances. That is the way the game stayed, as we run out with a 3-0 victory. Another positive is that nobody was injured in that game!

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Liam; 03-04-17 at 04:57 PM.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Parker offered player/coach?

Wedge of money on Defrel - never heard of him! What position is he? Doesn't say on screenie

How the hell has Sakho agreed to joined Fulham at start of game - doesn't make sense?! Helluva signing though!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Parker offered player/coach?

Wedge of money on Defrel - never heard of him! What position is he? Doesn't say on screenie

How the hell has Sakho agreed to joined Fulham at start of game - doesn't make sense?! Helluva signing though!
    Yeah I offered him player/coach. His coaching stats suck but he is a legend so why not!
    Updated the screenie for Defrel
    And god knows about Sakho, couldn't turn it down though! Maybe he has low ambition

vCash
    Bloody hell! I was going to say you've raised plenty of cash there then it's 10M spent

Some signing in Sakho though - Don't know a lot about Defrel either!
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Bloody hell! I was going to say you've raised plenty of cash there then it's 10M spent

Some signing in Sakho though - Don't know a lot about Defrel either!
    I am a bit of a wheeler and dealer. I'm sure a Richard Stearman + Larnell Cole is worse than a Mamadou Sakho!
    And his stats look pretty decent (Defrel). With his position aswell I'm sure he would be just as good at any of my attacking midfield positions!

vCash
    thats an attacking formation - goals galore!

AJ is offline Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Defrel is gonna be a smashing signing. He looks extremely well suited to a two-striker system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Defrel is gonna be a smashing signing. He looks extremely well suited to a two-striker system.
    At the moment he is alone up top in the 4-2-3-1. Will be keeping a close eye

vCash
    So now a bit of an easier game away at my hometown club Farnborough FC. It was a chance to play a couple of the younger boys and see how they get on. However, two small pieces of transfer news;

Jesse Joronen (GK) - Boreham Wood - Loan
    Mattias Kait - (AM/F L) - Halifax - Loan

Farnborough vs Fulham

So a bit of a break from the competitive matches and a way to build some morale. I decided to start Luca De La Torre, Dennis Adeniran and Tayo Edun. That choice paid off in the 33rd minute when Luca De La Torre pounced on a rebound out of nowhere. The American/Italian then added a second with a fantastic volley from a Dennis Odoi cross. Half time was met with 7 subs to give us a bit of a condition boost. Cauley Woodrow made it 3-0 with a strike from a Jozabed pass and to finish the scoring, Tom Cairney struck a low drive. We run out 4-0 winners in a game that was a bit more difficult than we expected.

Spoiler!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Tough game up next as we face off at home to Liverpool. No transfer news to add as of yet, but 3/4 offers in for some interesting players.

Fulham vs Liverpool

So a difficult game that I am not expecting any fireworks from, and that is exactly what I got. A boring game by half time ends with it being 0-0. I am slightly impressed with this, but make the 8 subs nonetheless. I want to see what players I can see will be in form come the beginning of the season. A Mane goal gives Liverpool the 1-0 lead with a hopeful looking shot and that is the way it ended. Quite impressed with just the 1-0 defeat.

Spoiler!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Decided to cancel the game against Shooting Stars to save some energy for the first game of the season. I used the gap to make a few player purchases, one that I am very impressed I managed to pull off, as he reject Valencia to join the Cottagers. However, to make room for some of these players, the following players have left the club;

Ryan Tunnicliffe (M C) - Sheffield United - 1.6mil
    David Button (GK) - Barnsley - 1.9mil

And joining the club will be the following. I will keep the last player as a spoiler for excitement purposes;

Zac Thompson joins us from Guiseley for a fee of 300k
    Spoiler!

Jermaine Anderson joins us from Peterborough for a fee of 600k
    Spoiler!

Barrie McKay joins us from Glasgow Rangers for a fee of 725k
    Spoiler!

Pau Lopez joins us from Espanyol for a fee of 2.1mil
    Spoiler!

Cheikhou Kouyate joins us from West Ham for a fee of 3.2mil
    Spoiler!

And finally, this guy...

Spoiler!

3 will provide competition for places whilst the other 3 will slot straight into the starting line up.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Decent enough results - Good 'ol Mane!

Woodrow seems to be doing well - good prospect in real life I believe?

How' Sessengnon doing? Got him in my Liverpool game and he's doing very well

vCash
    Decent enough results - Good 'ol Mane!

Woodrow seems to be doing well - good prospect in real life I believe?

How' Sessengnon doing? Got him in my Liverpool game and he's doing very well
    You posted right after I posted!! Woodrow is a good prospect and I am surprised he doesn't play more for us in real life. Currently on loan at Burton and doing well there I believe. Always in the England U21's!

I've been playing Sessegnon and his average rating from the friendlies was 6.5. Bit mix and match but more game time and he will pretty much be up there!

vCash
    How the feck are Fulham signing these players

Cheik and Vidal are cracking buys - like the sound of the keeper as well

Q - What was opening transfer balance? You dropped a wedge of cash on transfers - have made decent money back though

vCash
    So the first game of the Championship is now upon us and I am happy with the strength of the team. The transfer window is still open however, so do expect more activity. Leeds are our first game and it will be at Elland Road. Tough start, but this result will set the precedent for what we expect this season.

Leeds United vs Fulham

I decided to go with this line up for the first game of the season, I believe currently this is the strongest line up I could put out, however nobody's position is safe;

The game starts off rather frantically with Pablo Hernandez dominating play, however we managed to strike first. Jozebeds shot was saved well by Marco Silvestri, however Gregoire Defrel was there to blast the ball in the top corner from the rebound. We held on until half time and 20 minutes into the second half we made a couple of substitutions. Zac Thompson and Barrie McKay would both make their debuts, replacing Dennis Odoi and Jozabed in the 66th minute. This would prove fruitless however and Leeds equalised with 71 minutes gone. Eunan O'Kanes fine strike pulled of a great Pau Lopez save, but Alex Mowatt was there to tap in home to bring the score back to deadlock. Nothing much else happened after that and the score finished 1-1. Marco Silvestri was named MOM, after having just 4 shots on target against him. Leeds probably deserved more from the game, and I am happy to walk away with a point.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Liam; 03-04-17 at 04:58 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:

vCash
    How the feck are Fulham signing these players

Cheik and Vidal are cracking buys - like the sound of the keeper as well

Q - What was opening transfer balance? You dropped a wedge of cash on transfers - have made decent money back though
    Can't say I'm not delighted with the signings! We started with 16mil (I am using the x2 currency) so would be 8mil in game I believe?

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast