Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Until 2050

vCash
    3 out of 8

The challenge of keeping Chelsea in the way of the titles might not be right for me. However, I really wanted to win more trophies right away.
    Surprisingly, I did not even find a very high budget available (maybe 20M). But despite the strangeness I felt, the quality of the squad was very high and few changes I made. It was with pleasure that I saw 2 familiar faces,Billy Buxton who was already in the 6th season in the club after 3 years at Benfica( I worked with him for a single season) and Matija Spanjic who after 9 seasons at Ajax, had been hired at zero cost by the club even before my arrival. Unfortunately, besides being my former player, he was also in the 23 of Croatian National squad that caused me so much disappointment. I also hired Matt Cox, an English international central defender who after 5 years in Napoli was without a club and on the last day of the transfer market, I also made return to London, Steve Montgomery for 2.6M (plus multiple variables). Sergio Botelho who had already been my assistant manager in Benfica, was hired and I also signed two new physios and two coaches (including a reliable Portuguese who worked with me in Borussia and Napoli).
    I knew that the season would be very long and we had many competitions to play, so I was rigorous in the pre-season planning and also about the management of my vast squad. After a few days in Portugal where we did two identical results, winning 1-5 against Caldas and Benfica we organized a home tournament. Once again, we repeated the results and won respectively vs Ajax and Napoli by 3-0. We were more than ready for the start of the season.

Charity Shield - With more than 80,000 people at Wembley, we lost 0-1 against Stoke City ( they scored with 6 minutes to play). We had more possession of the ball, we made more shots to the goal, but in the end they were the ones who raised the 1st trophy of the season. I was naturally disappointed.

Intercontinental Cup- Almost 70,000 people in Saitama Stadium 2002, Japan. Chelsea 2-0 River Plate (one scored by Billy Buxton from a penalty kick) I'm definitely lucky with this Argentine club. As if it wasn`t enough the very good deals, always hiring good players,I still won a title over them

European Super Cup- 74 558 in Amsterdam Arena (I was happy at this stadium in my time with Ajax) Chelsea 2-0 Real Bétis ( 2 goals from penalty kicks, one scored by Arce and the other by Tom Moss). Completely fair result, the MoM of the match was even their goalkeeper. I know that in practice this title counts as a European trophy, but to win a disputed competition in a single game, of course it does not have the same taste. Although I was glad we had succeeded .... I wanted more.

League Cup- Third round, we traveled to Cardiff to face the championship team. In this game it is always good to approach the opponent with some caution. I launched several starters in the game, but also some 2nd choices...and I was optimistic that everything would go well. Cardiff 2-1 Chelsea ( 1-0; 1-1 by Montgomery and in min 77, 2-1) Big upset , we were out. Maybe we had some bad luck, we did 7-14 on goal shots, but we still had to do a lot more. I was truly angry with this inadmissible defeat. Later, West Ham won the competition by beating Stoke 4-2.

FA Cup- 3rd round , Chelsea 2-2 WBA ( another championship team) Montgomery scored the opener, somehow the Baggies put themselves in advantage by 1-2 and already after the 90th minute, Spanjic scored the final 2-2. 3rd round, Replay game (as if the season so long and exhausting was not enough) WBA 1-2 Chelsea. They still scored first, but a strong and fierce 2nd half, made us score two unanswered goals.
    4th round, Bournemouth 3-2 Chelsea Really ?! Against a Division 2 team ?!? We could hardly go lower. Again, the 5-12 in goal shots did not worth nothing. In the 57th minute we were already losing by 3. One final effort still made us score two goals, but it was not enough. We were scandalously eliminated. Fuc**** big upset !! There are no other words to define what I felt ... I was ashamed of our performance. The historic competition was won by Stoke, who won against Everton after penalty kicks lottery.

Fifa World Championship - Which took place in Germany. Group 2 - 1st game - Chelsea 2-2 Schalke 04 ( We were winning by 2, but we were unable to hold the advantage ) ; 2nd game - Chelsea 2-0 Pohang Steelers ( The Korean team tried, but they could not steal anything ); 3rd game - Chelsea 2-0 Nagoya Grampus. Because of the difference of goals, we were relegated to the 2nd place, which in any case made us qualify for the next stage. Semi-final, Chelsea 1-1 Betis (3-2 after penalty kicks) Not winning this game would be a tremendous injustice, we dominated, we created opportunities and we were actually better. 15-3 in shots on goal !! Final , Chelsea 1-2 Schalke 04 If in the FA Cup and in the League Cup back home in England I had been really angry with my team, this time i had nothing to point to my lads. They gave the best they had, and I was proud of the team's behavior. But as soon as I landed in English territory, I was very hard on the FA. I made a point of using social media to express all my indignation towards the FA . I went even further in my criticisms, I blamed the FA for our failure in this competition. What is the logic of this? 14/12 Middlesbough, 15/12 Betis, 17/12 Stoke City and 18/12 Schalke 04 ?!?

Champions League- 1st group stage - 2 victories against Bayern, two victories against Hacken and two draws against Feyenoord ; 2nd group stage - In a group with Sevilla, E.Frankfurt and also Nice, despite very balanced games, we managed to reach the 1st place and the consequent qualification for the next phase ; Q-Final - 1st leg, Feyenoord 1-1 Chelsea, 2nd leg Chelsea 2-1 Feyenoord. Having reached the semi-finals, I sincerely believed that perhaps this was the year of my european glory. Semi-Final - 1st leg, E.Frankfurt 0-0 Chelsea We were better and honestly we did everything to win. Everything but the goals in the net. 2-10 in goal opportunities reflect our superiority and the injustice of the result. To make matters worse, Tom Moss was seriously injured and finished his season in this game. 2nd leg Chelsea 0-2 E.Frankfurt. Once again we had more opportunities(7-4), we played reasonably well, but unfortunately they were the ones who scored and so they moved on to the final game. So close and yet again ... another european failure. In the final of the competition, E.Frankfurt beat Stoke 4-2.

Premier League- 23W 14D(too much, I know) 1L 65GS-23GC , 83 points, 4 more points than Liverpool. In a race played by 3, because Stoke was always in the fight,we managed to win. We were not brilliant, but I think we were the most competent and regular throughout the season. Here are some of the most relevant results we obtained...Chelsea 2-0 Liverpool, Arsenal 1-1 Chelsea ( Strangely enough I was whistled and insulted in this game, especially when Tom Moss opened the scoring. People are sometimes very ungrateful ), Chelsea 3-1 Man Utd ( And playing with 10 men from the 44th minute), Chelsea 4-0 West Ham , Chelsea 4-2 Tottenham ( 1 from Moss and 3 from Steve M.), Liverpool 0-1 Chelsea (Very important goal scored by Spanjic), Chelsea 4-1 Arsenal (1 from Spanjic and 2 more from Steve M, a youth product from...Arsenal), Man Utd 0-3 Chelsea(This time we played with 10 men since minute ... 3!!) Chelsea 1-0 Man City ( scored in the last play of the game),Chelsea 2-0 Newcastle (The game that confirmed our title. With only two fixtures to go, we did not hesitate and we fulfilled our goal). Unfortunately we lost 3 rounds from the end at Stoke`s home, which prevented a perfect record of 0 losses. Still, in this competition I think my team was very good.

Three players that I want to highlight ... Matija Spanjic- 48(4)games 15goals 9assists 7MoM and 7.63 rating. Perhaps in his best season ever, he scored crucial goals and was a key player in our midfield. Very rightly chosen player of the year for our fans.
    Steve Montgomery - 42(5)games 21goals 3assists 5MoM and 7.62 rating. In my modest opinion, it was okay ... but it could have been even better. At 24, still ignored by his nation( no international calls) ... even after being placed 3rd in the European player of the year and 3rd in the Striker of the year award.
    Tom Moss- 36(5) games 15goals 4assists 5MoM and 7.54 rating ( Previous year, 59g 43g 9a and 8.24 rat) It's true that he was a bit harried by injuries, he had 3 over the season.The last of which (the one in Frankfurt) that even made him lose the World Cup ( Billy Buxton scored in the final in a match that England beat Brazil 3-1) But back to Moss, I had the bad luck to see him make the worst season of his career. Or maybe I was responsible for not getting the best from him. We will never know, it's just assumptions, but I'm convinced that if we had Tom Moss at 2032/2033 level...and Chelsea would have won more titles.

I was invited to renew my contract (as I expected),stay in London for another year, but if I had already thought about leaving Chelsea for some time, the FA incident only helped me make my decision more quickly. And that was my excuse for leaving Chelsea.I almost forgot to mention, I finished in 2nd place in the Manager of the Year award. Stoke's Joe Savage was the winner, and in my opinion, because he took Stoke too far in all competitions, he also deserved it. However I believe the FA just did not give me the prize to punish me. Displeased with the FA, I decided to leave for another adventure outside of England.
    In fact, to be more precise, I was still fully working( still under contract) when invitations from other clubs appeared. As I mentioned earlier, my next step would be a much more solid and long-lasting project. So with 3 concrete proposals on hand, I would have to choose the best one for my career. I have never told you, but in my career I have refused (in different periods) some very interesting job offers, I remember having refused Real Madrid, Lyon, PSG, Mainz, Spartak Moscow, AS Roma, AC Milan, Sporting, Wolfsburg and certainly there was more. Anyway, now I had to choose one of these 3 ...
    Inter Milan - Since 2025 without winning the Serie A. Two things that pleased me in this job offer, very young squad, with very few foreign players and 267M available for new players.The fact that they won the Italian Cup made me rethink a bit ( "To take charge of teams that have been away from great achievements for a long time ")
    Bayer Leverkusen- No recent achievements, with about 65/70M to spend on new signings and very short squad. Whenever I hear of this German club, it is impossible not to remember the epic 4-4 of 1994. Of course I do not need to tell you who was on the other side
    Marseille- Recently promoted to the main league, the club has lived the last years between the 1st and 2nd division. Little money available to spend, but a very interesting challenge in rebuild this historical club of the south of France. Marseille, too, should not like to recall a fateful night of April 18, 1990 in Lisbon
    Last edited by rodrigoazevedo; 22-08-17 at 04:25 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rodrigoazevedo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The nerazzurri challenge

On 18 July 2034 I was announced as the new Internazionale manager. What made me return to Italy, more precisely for Inter, was the possibility of working with so many young players. The club that has been chaired for some time by Chinese capitalists, is very well structured in terms of working conditions and has a young academy that has provided good players for the main team. When I arrived at the club, the average squad age was 22.97 !! What for me was a pleasant surprise and it was exactly what I was looking for in my career. So I signed a 3 year contract (plus one year of option) and was excited about the project. I've been jumping from club to club, but I found Inter the right club to stay for a while. Besides, in certain way I had a debt to this club. When I was in Napoli, I won both Serie A and Italian Cup at the expense of Inter.
    As soon as I started working, I felt the need to change the technical department. Only Xavi remained as a coach and a physio, I hired 5 new coaches, 2 physio, 3 scouts (including a former player, Burdisso) and an assistant manager. There was an enormous amount of money available to spend, but I chose to make only the signings I found necessary to strengthen the young squad. I promoted some young players, hired 3 new players for free (all very young too) and spent some money on only 3 players, Ante Bozic a 23-year-old Croatian defensive midfielder who came from Newcastle for 3.6M, Mikel Uranga a 20-year-old Spanish midfielder who came from Atlético Madrid for 1.1M ( star player of the B team, never played even one minute in official matches when I was there. He was very young, but I always expected him to develop into a good player) and by only 3M (plus the usual variables) brought to work with me coming from Chelsea, yes that guy that you are thinking, Steve Montgomery Later in January, I hired Renato Monti, a 27-year-old central defender that had been playing his whole career in AS Roma.
    Steve Montgomery knew my methods and game ideas perfectly, but there were two players in the squad who had already worked with me, Thorstein Heinrich, a 30-year-old central defender (regular presence in the German national team) who was with me in Dortmund and Junior Lopes, a defensive midfielder (also a habitual presence in the Brazilian national team) who had been with me in my time in Istanbul.
    With many players (squad of about 48/49 players) I needed to see them in action. Therefore the pre-season would be fundamental for my purposes. We had a pre-season 100% victorious, but in this type of games, what I really care less ... is precisely the result, I want to realize what the team is worth, its virtues and its aspects to improve. We had a few days in Portugal, where we faced respectively Caldas (1-2) Atletico Portugal (0-4) and Belenenses (0-1). Then we traveled to Madrid for the game of presentation to the supporters of Atlético (1-2),then we organized a tournament at Giuseppe Meazza, which we won by beating Real Sociedad (2-1) and Benfica (4-1) and finally we went to Parma( 1-2) for the last game of the pre-season. The season was almost starting and I felt we were ready.
    So let's see what happened in my first year with Inter's black and blue colors.

Italian Super Cup- Burning derby against the city's always-rivals AC Milan. They had won Serie A the previous year and with a 147M investment in 3 new players, clearly that favoritism was on their side. There were over 85,000 people at Giuseppe Meazza to watch this game. When at min 30 I saw the referee cancel us a goal (which seemed clean) I feared the worst. Fortunately the team stayed focused, and in the second half we made the only goal of the game. Inter 1-0 Milan and the trophy was ours.

Italian Cup- 1st round, 1st leg Palermo 0-0 Inter. 2nd leg Inter 1-1 Palermo. The only time I played this competition( With Napoli, now a Serie B team), I won it with two draws in the final. Irony of ironies, it was also with two draws that now my club was leaving the competition early on. I did not expect this, but we had to react and forget this disappointment. Palermo went all the way to the final, where it was only there that they were stopped by Cesena, who succeeded Inter as the winner.

Uefa Cup-It is getting really embarrassing my poor performances in European competitions. As you might expect, this year was no different despite the high hopes I had. 1st round 1st leg - Charleroi 1-1 Inter, 2nd leg - Inter 2-0 Charleroi ; 2nd round 1st leg - Inter 1-1 FC Koln ( We reestablish the tie with a penalty in the final moments of the game) , 2nd leg - FC Koln 5-2 Inter ( We did a bad game and we were justly punished. Of course that the poor performance of my goalkeeper that was rated with 4, did not help) The disappointment was inevitable, but at the end of this competition I confess that I was glad to see Arsenal taking the trophy.

Serie A- Everyone in Italy (with me included, I have to confess) thought that Milan was the most powerful competitor and so it would be logical that they could revalidate the title. In the early part of the season, we even had some difficulties, we started on day 1 with a 3-2 defeat in Lazio. With such a young team, I knew that the processes were slow to assimilate but I knew it was really a matter of time, because the quality of the team was all too obvious. We were growing as the competition progressed and in the last third of the season, we were really overpowering, ruining completely any competition that might exist. Perhaps there was some demerit of the opponents (mainly of AC Milan that gave way early) but what matters is that in the end, Inter was crowned the new Serie A champion 34 games 24W 6D 4L 72GS-38GC and 78 points Believe it or not, Torino who finished in 2nd place ended up with an unthinkable 19 points away!!!
    As for the most important games ... I leave here some of the most relevant results ; Roma 4-2 Inter ( Immediately after the Uefa Cup disaster, another "4" performance of my goalkeeper) , AC Milan 3-1 Inter , Inter 3-2 Torino( 2 from Steve M), Inter 1-0 AC Milan, Inter 3-2 Lazio, Inter 1-0 Juventus(15 min to play, Steve M netted the decisive goal) Inter 3-0 Genoa, Pescara 1-4 Inter

Mention only the numbers of 3 players that were important to the collective success;
    Mikel Uranga - 25(5) 7 goals 9 assists 4 MoM and 7.47 rating - I was surprised by his high level shown and even with strong internal competition, he won the place in my starting line up on his own merit. He was also awarded with the 2nd place in Serie A Young Player of the year.

Christian Lucarelli - 35 games 41 goals conceded 1MoM and 7.46 rat. Despite U21 international, he was the 2nd choice when I arrived. The team number 1 was a player who was always in the chosen ones of the Italian national team and that two years before had cost 9M coming from Roma. However, from the beginning my intention was to bet on the young goalkeeper. And even when he had two games in a row to forget (4 rating) I kept my trust in him. He received his first call for the Italian A team, and at the end of the season received 3 more distinctions, Serie A Team of the year, Serie A Italian young player of the year and logically Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year.

Steve Montgomery - This one no longer needs introductions and you should already be tired of hearing about it Inexplicably, already with 24/25 years and continues to be ignored by his national team. 32(3) games 18 goals 6 assists 3MoM and 7.86 rating. His strength, his determination and his ability to finish were very important to the team. Unsurprisingly, he has won some more individual prizes, Serie A Italian player of the year, Serie A 3rd Top Goalscorer, Serie A 2nd Foreign player of the year, Serie A team of the year and Inter Milan player of the year to our fans.

Usually this would be the time to start thinking about a new challenge. However, I was 100% committed to this project and as such I went on vacation already thinking about next season. I know that I will probably be the target of enjoyment from the other managers and some press, but by 2035/2036 I would point to European success. It is absurd to have a top manager like me, who leads the World manager ranking, to have truly miserable performances in European competitions year after year. I was determined to end this fate. I spoke with the Chinese president of the club and he authorized me to spend what was necessary to equip the team of great players. And I knew exactly what my targets would be
    Last edited by rodrigoazevedo; 23-08-17 at 07:31 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rodrigoazevedo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good to see you staying at a club for more than one season mate, Inter look the perfect set up to build something with and hopefully a European honour is in there too. Love seeing Montgomery follow you to Chelsea and now Inter.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks mate. I stayed at Inter because the project is exciting (developing this young team) and of course because I believe that with two or three adjustments in the squad, maybe we can have a " word to say" in Europe.

Steve Montgomery, strangely whenever I leave the clubs, the new managers do not seem to want to bet on him. It`s true that he has never repeated (and probably will not return to that level) that incredible season at Arsenal, but he`s still a player I fully trust. It is not by chance that after that time at Arsenal (where he started) I already had him at Atletico Madrid, Chelsea and now Inter. With me, he made 150 official games, 94 goals and 33 assists. Some more data on this 25-year-old English lethal striker whose market value is estimated at around 10M.
    Negative aspects in Montomery`s game - Agility 7; Anticipation 9; Dribbling 9; Positioning 8
    Positive aspects in his game - Acceleration 15; Determination 18; Finishing 20; Jumping 19; Pace 18; Technique 15; Stamina 17

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rodrigoazevedo For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    I'm sure low positioning is a benefit to him as it's more of a defensive stat, Anticipation and Dribbling are a worry though but a record of 94 goals in 150 games for 4 teams across 3 countries can't be sniffed at!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Love the story - caught up over the last few days. I really like how you have decided to hop around a bit, although it must be time consuming when you have to get to know new squads every season. I hope you get some European success soon, although as you have already pointed out, it is hard to do without 5 years at a club (or a super tactic).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well done with the success at Inter. They should offer a great chance to break that European hoodoo
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The perfect year

I knew exactly what I wanted for the 35/36 season. Ambition is always present, but this time I was willing to spend money like I've never done before. If last year I still spent 8.5M on new players, this year in only 2 players I would spend roughly 74M. I sold some players that I did not count on( between sales and for free, 11 players left), brought in 8 new players for free (all good promises) and in a maneuver that involved a great financial effort (it is never easy to pay above the real value) and that excited our fans a lot and even the media ... I managed to bring to Inter two great players, both star players of the Argentina national team:

Miguel Angel Carranza
    - In exchange for 40.5 M, plus 5% in a possible future sale and more 17.5M when he reaches 30 matches in Serie A it was possible to bring him from A.S Roma where he was without any doubt the greatest player of the team. He was already 28 years old, but it would be an indisputable asset for my young squad.

Hernán Blanco- Number 10 pure, with a technique and creativity above the ordinary would be a great addition of quality to my starting 11. PSG was tough and the talks were not easy, but by 33.5M plus 5% in a future sale and still 10.25M when he reaches the 50 games in Serie A, we were able to bring him to the black and blue side of Milan. Since he landed in Spain I follow with much interest the career of this very nice player, and on several occasions I tried his hiring (always unsuccessful). He won his 1st international call up when he was only 18, went to play for Mirandés from Juv Antoniana by 275K in 2028/2029, then he was transfered to PSG in 2033/2034 for 47M (In 2034 he won the French Most Unpopular player of the year). He was now at 25, one of the best midfielders playing in Europe.

The average age of the squad had risen to 23.03 but what really mattered was that the squad was even stronger, with more and better solutions than last year.
    Our Chinese chairman wanted the pre-season to take place in his native country, but I opposed that idea because I did not want to expose my players to temperatures and to a climate that has nothing to do with what they are accustomed to. In all the clubs I've been through, I like to be the one to organize the pre-season and this year would be no exception. We went to the North American continent, first to Mexico(Cruz Azul 1-0 Inter) and then to USA( Los Angeles Galaxy 0-1 Inter ; Colorado Rapids 2-1 Inter). Back to Italy in our annual tournament we beat Arsenal (2-1) and Bor.Dortmund(2-0). We traveled to Madrid for the presentation game to Atlético fans (as we did the year before, but this time we lost 3-1), we also went to Florence for the local team's presentation match(1-1) and already with the season running and taking advantage of the usual national teams games we still played at Meazza against Vitória Setúbal (0-0).
    So let's see how the 2035/2036 season went...

Super Cup- Cesena 1-2 Inter (With Carranza debuting in official matches with a goal) Match in Drogel Stadium- Dino Manuzzi, Cesena(Only 25 745 crowd) ... we were always the best team on the pitch and the final result was completely fair. It is always good to start a new season with trophies.

Italian Cup- 2nd round,1st leg- Inter 2-0 Lupa Roma, 2nd leg - Lupa Roma 1-1 Inter ; Q-Final,1st leg -Genoa 0-2 Inter, 2nd leg - Inter 2-2 Genoa ; S-Final, 1st leg -Inter 5-2 Lazio, In a game with a lot of incidents, a straight red card at min 4 for our team, another red card at 82 min for them, one own goal, a poor performance from both goalkeepers and fortunately a very inspired Montgomery afternoon scoring 4 goals
    2nd leg - Lazio 2-1 Inter, I used a lot of second and third choices, but fortunately the tie was never in danger.
    Final, 1st leg - Inter 1-0 Latina, We just scored the goal 4 minutes from the end. In a one-way game and where the opponent's goalkeeper produced a fantastic performance, I left the game with that feeling of frustration because I found the result too short in view of the opportunities we created ( 18-1!! goal shots)
    2nd leg - Latina 3-2 Inter, ( 2-0 min 20, 2-1 min 31 by Monti, 2-2 min 60 scored by Bozic and finally 3-2 with a penalty kick at 66th minute). Played in a very complicated field, we had a really bad time and at times I thought that this competition could fly from us. We had the spirit and the combativeness to get back to the game. Of course we suffered a lot after they made the 3-2 but mainly due to the game of the first leg, I think it would be unfair that in the end we did not win this title.

Serie A- Absolute dominance with record points in the league (since 2015/2016 I believe) The opponents gave a little more fighting this year, but still never felt the 1st place in danger. Juventus who did a great job ended up 16 points away. 34 games , 26W 6D 2L 80GS-30GS and 84 points.
    The results of the most important matches ... Brescia 1-5 Inter ( 2 from Blanco, 1 from Uranga) ; Inter 3-1 Roma ( 1 from Montgomery and 1 from Carranza) ; Juventus 0-4 Inter ( Uranga and Blanco scoring each other 1); Roma 0-3 Inter ; Inter 0-0 Milan ; Inter 4-1 Juventus ( Montgomery, Carranza and H.Blanco scored) ; Milan 0-2 Inter ( 1 from Blanco) ; Inter 3-0 Torino (1 from Blanco, 1 from Carranza) ; Inter 4-2 Lazio ( Mongomery and a hat trick from Carranza, punishing his ex-city rival). I do not like to say this, it may seem some lack of humility ... but it was too easy for us.

Champions League- And finally, after 20 years of career ... the much desired european glory. The year before, Chelsea had lost the final to Hamburg. This year before the competition, there were several teams that emerged as candidates. Although I never expressed it, I always thought we might have something to say. Exceptionally I will reveal here all our way to the final.
    Group D 1st group stage - Inter 2-1 Leverkusen, SJK( from Finland) 1-5 Inter, Crystal Palace 3-2 Inter, Inter 4-2 Crystal Palace ( Uranga was sent off in the 8th minute, but still a Carranza goal and a Montgomery hat trick sent us to victory) , Leverkusen 0-3 Inter and Inter 3-1 SJK. 1st Inter 15 points( 19-8) and 2nd Crystal Palace (17-8).
    Group B 2nd group stage - Inter 0-0 Chelsea, CSKA Moscow 0-1 Inter( a late goal from Blanco), Toulouse 1-1 Inter ( Blanco again), Inter 3-0 Toulouse (2 more from...yes,Blanco), Chelsea 1-1 Inter and Inter 1-0 CSKA Moscow ( Carranza netted the only goal). 1st Inter 12 points ( 7-2), 2nd Chelsea 9 points
    Q-Final, 1st leg - Barcelona 4-1 Crystal Palace, Chelsea 0-2 PSG, Stuttgart 2-0 Alavés and Inter 5-0 Real Zaragoza ( 4 from Carranza ) ; 2nd leg - Crystal Palace 2-1 Barcelona, PSG 1-0 Chelsea, Alavés 5-0 Stuttgart and Zaragoza 1-2 Inter (1 from Blanco)
    S.Final, 1st leg - Barcelona 2-0 PSG , Inter 4-0 Alavés( hat trick from Blanco); 2nd - PSG 3-2 Barcelona , Alavés 0-0 Inter
    Final - The final would be against the most dominant team of the Champions League in recent years. So from 2015/2016 to 2035/2036 this would be the tenth time that the Spanish team would be in the final, and in 7 occasions they won the trophy. On the other hand, the last time an Italian team had won the highest European club title, it was precisely Inter in 2010 (with Mourinho). Our task would undoubtedly be very hard and difficult, but I was confident and I knew that we would do everything we could to be successful.
    May 21, 2036 With 64 320 people in the Maksimir stadium in Zagreb Barcelona 0-2 Inter Hard game as I had predicted, where to be honest victory could fall to either side (They had more chances of goal, but we got very well defensively). Scibilia a very promising product of our academy that can either play in the right side or in the left side of our defense, opened the score in the 54th minute(I do not even remember another goal he scored) and in minute 80 the inevitable Blanco gave the final blow scoring the 0-2 that prevailed until the end. WE WERE THE CHAMPIONS

I was very confident that this year things could be as smooth as possible, but I have to admit that even I did not expect a year like this ... so perfect. Now the truth is that those two very expensive signings at the beginning of the season were absolutely fundamental to us.
    I will only show the numbers of the three players I mentioned at the end of my 1st year and also of course of the two Argentine players. Unfortunately I still do not know anything about this year's individual prizes, and later on you will realize why.
    Mikel Uranga - 42(1)games,6goals, 11assists,3MoM and 7.44 rating
    Christian Lucarelli - 43 games,34goals conceded,2MoM and 7.42 rating (already also number 1 of the national team)
    Steve Montgomey - 32(8) games,18goals 5assists,4MoM and 7.38 rating (helped a lot the team, but the worst season that he did on my command)
    Miguel Angel Carranza- 37(2)games,18goals,7assists,5MoM and 7.92 rating( 8.25 in Serie A)
    Hernán Blanco- 38(4) games,21goals,11assists,8MoM and 7.86 rating ( 8.04 in Serie A)

I almost did not have time to conveniently celebrate the Champions League victory, because only 1 day after the final ... something happened

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rodrigoazevedo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    A lot to think about

Throughout the season I have always been focused on the goals, I tried never to lose my attention and I was 100% committed to Inter. I did not go public, I did not even comment on the club with nobody, but I received 3 concrete job offers during the season. Two from Spain, Osasuna and Deportivo La Coruña and another much more interesting from England, more precisely from Man City. Of course, I have no choice but to refuse them. In April, a month from the end of the season, there was a situation that made me sad, I would love to be able to help but would never leave my club as long as we were fighting for the competitions we were involved in. I´m talking about Benfica obviously. A situation that seems even surreal and that makes me inevitably very sad, but that is regrettably real, so Benfica fell from 1st League in 2032/2033, the following year managed to climb and in 2034/2035 fell back into the abyss of the 2nd division. In April 2036 and perhaps because of a disappointing campaign that prevented the Lisbon giant from rising again, they were left without a manager If I could, I would fly to save the club from my heart, but unfortunately the timing was not the best. Perhaps at another time my much-desired return will be possible.

As I reported earlier, just one day after the most important achievement of my career, I received a telephone call from Spain. He was a director of a big Spanish club, who, after congratulating me on my success, addressed me a concrete offer... he wanted me very much to accept the challenge he had thrown me. It was completely unexpected and left me a little unresponsive, suddenly I had in my hand a very tempting offer (I must confess). Being a world-class manager, I can afford to always choose what I want for my future, it's not the clubs that choose me (that was a few years ago), now I decide where I'm going.
    Without further delays, these are the 4 options I have at the moment for my career (In European Cup year, I'm sure I would have more in a few months)

Internazionale- Of course staying at Inter is a very strong possibility. Remember that I have one more year under contract (with another option) and the project to grow this young team is very attractive. Besides that next year, if I decide to stay, I have more competitions to play and win. For example the European Super Cup that will be against Schalke 04 (I can avenge myself of the defeat in the FIFA World club championship, although to avenge that particular defeat I would have to play against the FA ) The doubts that make me think about leaving Inter are precisely because in 2 years, I played 8 competitions and I won 6. Especially having won the European title, I feel that I can add little more here, but I do not know, nothing is decided and staying is a very valid option.

Manchester United- The club is without a manager and if I want I can very well choose to return to England through the door of Man Utd. Since 2026/2027 with the achievement of the FA Cup this big club has never again conquered anything relevant. In recent years, they even simply fight for not to be relegated from the Premier League. In the squad one name stands out above all others, hired at the beginning of the season by 31M from B.Dortmund, Márcio Lira was along with Tom Moss the best goalscorer of the premiership(both with 24 goals) in his debut year in England. It is an option, the club has the conditions to grow (essentially money available) but honestly I do not feel very tempted by this possibility.

Newcastle United- My second hypothesis in England is also a United and just like the other is right now with no one in charge. I went to study a little of its recent history, and if it is true that for more than 20 years that is not relegated, it is also true that since 2018/2019 (still with Rafa Benitez, they won the League Cup) that the club does not win anything. Speaking quite frankly ,of all the possibilities of career that I have, this is the one that I consider as being the one that is less likely to happen. Sorry magpies fans

Real Madrid- Well, the concrete job offer I have at this moment, is this one. I can go back to Madrid, but this time to Real. Since 2028/2029 (still with Zizou winning the domestic double) that Real Madrid does not know what it is to win something. However the worst is not even the lack of titles, which is really very serious is that Real is preparing themselves to enter the third consecutive season in ... 2nd division!!! I, who have always been more sympathetic to the Catalonian giant, recognize that this situation is too bad to be true. The place of this historic club, is not in the depths of the Spanish 2nd division. Of course analyzing (albeit superficially) the " merengue" squad, I can understand the reasons why the club is in such a fragile situation. Between team A and team B, the squad consists of 50 players (most of them of very doubtful quality). 48 Spanish players and 2 foreigners, both international A by Costa Rica and Kosovo?!? (I know, im thinking the same thing...no wonder) respectively. I do not understand how this Madrid club went into a process of self-destruction, especially because the person who made me the proposal to take the job, assured me that 230M were available to strengthen the team. If the club has money (and apparently a lot), why the hell did they come to this situation?!? Still, I am very tempted to accept this huge challenge of saving Real from 2nd division and building a team that is more related with the scrolls of this great club.

So, what would you do if you were in my place ?!
    Last edited by rodrigoazevedo; 12-09-17 at 03:12 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rodrigoazevedo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigoazevedo View Post
    So, what would you do if you were in my place ?!
    Pinch myself!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Vèrkûh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vèrkûh View Post
    Pinch myself!
    Why ?!

vCash
    Why ?!
    Because I can't imagine I'll ever reach that kind of luxury...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Vèrkûh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vèrkûh View Post
    Because I can't imagine I'll ever reach that kind of luxury...
    Of course you will my friend

25. The Following User Says Thank You to rodrigoazevedo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I have a similar dilemma in my game at the moment (i'll save the decision for my story). If it was me, i'd be tempted by Real. Nothing sweeter than restoring a massive club to its former glory. I know you don't like staying in one place for very long but you could set yourself the aim of winning the league again - I reckon you could do that within 3 seasons.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    An unbelievable season with Inter mate, and finally that European trophy!

Tough one on what to do, I wouldn't be interested in the offers from England, which leaves staying at Inter or moving to Real. I'd maybe have one more season with Inter to see if you can win another Champions League and then move on next season.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by #4 View Post
    I have a similar dilemma in my game at the moment (i'll save the decision for my story). If it was me, i'd be tempted by Real. Nothing sweeter than restoring a massive club to its former glory. I know you don't like staying in one place for very long but you could set yourself the aim of winning the league again - I reckon you could do that within 3 seasons.
    Exactly what I think, the satisfaction of bringing a sleeping club back to life is very good. I have done it with Vitória de Setúbal and especially with Atletico Madrid, but this challenge of Real Madrid, I think it will be the most complicated. And that pleases me a lot The European football map has changed a lot in 20 years and I have reached 2036 and I have seen some cases of historical clubs in the lower divisions of the respective leagues, just for you to have a more concrete idea;
    -Italian SERIE B - Napoli, Bologna, Udinese, Fiorentina
    -Italian SERIE C - Parma and Sampdoria
    -LA LIGA 2nd Division- Besides Real Madrid`s case, Real Sociedad and Valencia ( Will enter the 7th consecutive season in this division)
    -French Ligue 2- Bordeaux and Lyon ( Goes to 8 consecutive years)
    -Portuguese 2nd League- Benfica (I'm even ashamed to write this), Vitória Guimarães and Belenenses
    -English Championship - Aston Villa and Blackburn
    -English League 2- Leicester City and Swansea City
    -English League 3- Southampton

31. The Following User Says Thank You to rodrigoazevedo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    An unbelievable season with Inter mate, and finally that European trophy!

Tough one on what to do, I wouldn't be interested in the offers from England, which leaves staying at Inter or moving to Real. I'd maybe have one more season with Inter to see if you can win another Champions League and then move on next season.
    Thank you mate. Interestingly the options(not offers yet) of England are also those that I look with less enthusiasm. For me or I`ll stay at Inter or I`ll go to Real Madrid. Probably and as contradictory this may seem, the conquest of the Champions League leads me to be more inclined to travel to Madrid.
    But I have not decided anything yet and I'm still in the pondering phase

vCash
    Exactly what I think, the satisfaction of bringing a sleeping club back to life is very good. I have done it with Vitória de Setúbal and especially with Atletico Madrid, but this challenge of Real Madrid, I think it will be the most complicated. And that pleases me a lot The European football map has changed a lot in 20 years and I have reached 2036 and I have seen some cases of historical clubs in the lower divisions of the respective leagues, just for you to have a more concrete idea;
    -Italian SERIE B - Napoli, Bologna, Udinese, Fiorentina
    -Italian SERIE C - Parma and Sampdoria
    -LA LIGA 2nd Division- Besides Real Madrid`s case, Real Sociedad and Valencia ( Will enter the 7th consecutive season in this division)
    -French Ligue 2- Bordeaux and Lyon ( Goes to 8 consecutive years)
    -Portuguese 2nd League- Benfica (I'm even ashamed to write this), Vitória Guimarães and Belenenses
    -English Championship - Aston Villa and Blackburn
    -English League 2- Leicester City and Swansea City
    -English League 3- Southampton
    Yes, there are some curious cases in my save too. Both Man Utd and Man City have spent a couple of years in the championship and the likes of Monaco have been relegated and never recovered.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

vCash

Exclusive Interview

It was a surprise when Jonathan Woodgate showed up at my door in Lisbon. My first ever signing, when I was in command of Caldas, was this guy. He helped me a lot in the pitch and also outside of it, he was one of my assistant coaches as well. BBC Sport wanted an exclusive and sent someone who knew me, well thought of them. After we greet each other with a strong hug, we talked a little bit about our careers(off record). It was only after the production team made the proper preparations that the interview started:

First of all, congratulate you for the great year you had at Inter. Rodrigo Azevedo, how does a world-class manager accept the challenge of going to a 2nd division?
    -Thanks,it`s a pleasure to see you again Jonathan.I confess it was not an easy decision, but after weighing the pros and cons I decided to take this step. Real Madrid is a huge club with an incredible history and undoubtedly deserves to be on another level.

How did the Inter`s board allow you to leave, especially having you another year of contract?

-Of course, they were not at all pleased when I asked to be allowed to leave, but I was careful of going to talk with the right people even before accepting the invitation of Real, to inform my directors of everything that was going on. The first person I spoke to was "Mr. Inter", Javier Zanetti one of the managing directors, who despite everything he did to convince me to stay, eventually accepted and understood my motives. The chairman, Mr. Zhenyu Chen was a little harder on me, but I can understand the frustration. After all, it was I who expressed the intention not to carry the project to the end.Then it is that natural shock, even in time of celebrations, my announcement of wanting to go out to another club ... I already knew that no one in the club would be satisfied. Anyway, life is made of challenges, and now the future goes through achieving the rehabilitation of Real Madrid.

Speaking of Real, what did the people of the Spanish club ask you?
    -Well, the main reason they hired me was because they think I'm the right person for the job.What I've been asked for is precisely what I want to do, to get the club up to the higher division, to lay the foundations for the club to become more stable and to build a very competitive team. Now, I need to analyze this working group very well, see what needs to be done to improve it, and then, yes, to think about whether or not we can think of rising this year already.

There are some news from Spain that say that your new chairman, Rafael Camino, is a very impatient man, what do you think about it?
    -I only talked to him once. But what I can say is that it is not for me to evaluate the president's behavior. He does have to evaluate my work, I know I will be in constant observation, but this is the life of football manager, I have been in this for some time and I know perfectly well how things work. Obviously I'm sure he'll be cheering for my success (which will be also his sucess after all), and we'll both be paddling to the same side.

Do you think you will be well received in Madrid? Especially for what you did when you were at Atletico?
    -I know that the fans are very emotional and that the rivalries exist, but I am a professional, I will always do my best for the team that Im defending.I will not deny that that year with Atletico filled me with joy and satisfaction, but it is already in the past ... and the future is now at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Do you expect the same success now in this new club?
    -Realistically, the fact of climbing in the first year would already be phenomenal. But as I mentioned before, I need to see my squad closely. I do not want in any way to jump to conclusions or to feed dreams or illusions to anyone.

The spanish media says that you signed for 4 years, is this information true?
    -I can confirm that yes, it corresponds to the truth.

Is Steve Montogmery already signed?
    - Ahahahaha, good question All good players are welcome, and Steve is no exception.I honestly do not think this is going to happen, obviously it is a player I know very well, it would undoubtedly add value, but Steve is an Inter player for now. Also, he is now 26/27 and I do not think he's available to play in a 2nd division, understandably I should add.

How do you define this incredible year you spent at Inter?
    -It was all wonderful, could not ask for more. I have to highlight the role of the board, the players, my technical staff and of course to thank the extraordinary support we had throughout the season from the fans. It was no coincidence that this season a new record of average assistance in Meazza was established. Of course ending the season winning the Champions League, just brightened up our fantastic year.

Do you want to talk about your Benfica?
    -Sorry, but no. This is not a good idea, especially since I would have to be rude and I do not think this is the right time or the place to do it.

In England, there were some rumors that you were close to be new Man Utd manager, is it true?
    -What I can guarantee, is that the only concrete proposal I had, was this one from Real Madrid. Therefore what you have heard is not true.

Rodrigo, still in England,who do you want to win,Arsenal or Chelsea?
    - Ahahaahahah, trick question indeed I'm going to reveal an inconfidence here,since i was a kid that my sympathy in your country, goes to Liverpool. Between Arsenal, a club that I sincerely loved the time I spent there and Chelsea, a club that despite the relative success, I also had a good time there ... I think I'm neutral.

Who do you think will win the Euro 2036?
    -Tough question, I personally liked it to be Portugal, but my guess is going to England or Italy. But anyway, in this type of competition it is always difficult to project a prognosis.

We know that you established the year 2050 as the last of your managing career, will we ever see you taking charge of any National team until your final year?

-Well, life is made up of challenges and goals, we can never accurately know the future. Now, I believe very sincerely that that chapter of guiding national teams is closed in my life. I'm getting older, I do not have the energy I used to have and as such, it's best that I stay focused on one task, one job.

In 20 years of your career, what was the most complicated job?

- Looking back, it is not easy to come to an obvious conclusion, but I would say maybe my season in Germany. I can not lie that it was very tiring and that winning the title was a mixture of luck and hard work, but the truth is that the season was very complicated indeed. I don`t want also to exclude my next job because I am not expecting facilities, on the contrary, I predict that it will be a complicated year too and that I will have to work hard. But as I said earlier, I'm looking forward to starting this new step in my career.

Is it true that in Portugal at the beginning of you career you became known as the opportunist?

- Funny that you mention this, because I recognize that what you have just said, I have heard sometimes. I know it's impossible to please everyone, and maybe in my career I've sometimes taken options that displeased some people, but all I've done is always thinking about myself and my family. I have the humility to acknowledge that I have also made mistakes, that perhaps one or another situation I might have been able to have done differently, in any case, what is done can not be undone.

One final question, for someone who has already won so much, what do you have to conquer yet in the world of football?
    -Good question, there is still much to be done, I still have a few years left until the end of my career and I am always motivated, ambitious to look for new challenges, new achievements. The day that I do not feel strong and happy to continue to manage football teams, I will stop, simply as that. I do not like looking at the past, of course I'm proud of what I've achieved in my career, but I always try to focus on the present and the future.

Thank you very much for the time you gave us, I hope everything goes well in this new adventure, good luck!
    -No problem, I thank you, Jonathan. My pleasure. Thank you and see you next time.
    Last edited by rodrigoazevedo; 30-08-17 at 06:07 PM.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rodrigoazevedo For This Useful Post:

vCash

The awakening of a giant

PART I

So, incredible that this may sound on a Wednesday, I was playing the Champions League final and the following Saturday I was at the Santiago Bernabeu for the penultimate day of the 2nd Spanish league. Real Madrid already had its situation defined in the league table (it was in the modest 11th place) therefore the two games I played( a 3-0 win against Alcoyano and a 2-1 lost vs Valladolid) served only for me to begin to realize the real value of the squad. It was not as bad as I initially thought, but it was still clearly insufficient for the goals that both I and the board set.
    In a very large squad, 50 players on contract, I had no choice but to make an extensive list of expendable players. I was warned, but one thing is to know, and another thing is to deal with that closely. The chairman wanted to fill Real Madrid with players from the youth academy. Truth be told, the vast majority of players in either A team or B team, were really players who had grown up in the club. Whenever I sold or dispensed a player for free, another player from the academy would come up (always young guys of insufficient quality). And that was really frustrating. Still in the 2036/2037 season between sales and layoffs (23 players left the club), I managed to bring about 20.5M into the club's coffers.
    Real Madrid was by no means an attractive club, 3 players from the first team and even with things going well for the club, they wanted to leave. I had to sell them so I would not have anyone bothered to create bad influences in the rest of the squad. As for new players, I had more than 230 million euros to spend, but attracting good players to a 2nd league is never easy. Even if it's Real Madrid. I believe I was still able to bring quality players to the squad.
    - António Rodrigues, 25 years portuguese left back for free (from Marítimo) with more than 20 call ups for his national team
    - José António Diaz , 22 years spanish striker for free (from Atlético Madrid)
    - Johannes Weissenberger, coming from Rapid Wien by 1.8M, a talented 20 year-old midfielder already a half dozen times international for Austria.
    - Adriano Leitão, a 20 year-old promising portuguese midfielder from Benfica by a 30K bargain.
    - Ruud Salden, a 21-year-old dutch central defender who came from PSV for free.
    - Claudio Acosta, a 20-year- old argentinian very talented playmaker who came from Udinese in exchange for 6.5M (much more expensive than his real value, but it was my bet)
    - Roberto Falcón, a 28-year-old argentinian striker from Independiente for 4.7M ( plus some variables) I had great faith in this player, he had almost 200 goals scored in the Argentine league.
    - Alessandro Battaglia,he was at 33 (almost 34) a player with extensive experience. Defensive midfielder of enormous quality, he had more than 100 games made for the national Italian team. After 7 consecutive years, winning titles with Barcelona he was a free player. When he left Napoli for the Catalan club, was a financial operation involving 47M!!! I did not sell Battaglia because I left the Italian club before him, but I was lucky to have him in my Napoli winning team.
    In January also entered the club, Keith McLaughlin 24-year-old Scottish midfielder from Newcastle for 1.8M and Nuno Quintas, a 22-year-old Portuguese central defender who made us pay 750K to Desportivo das Aves.

I will not deny that I tried to bring some Inter players, always without success. I often managed to persuade the club to sell, but the players simply did not want to come to Real Madrid(one of the most flagrant cases was Mikel Uranga who preferred to return to Atletico Madrid). As for Steve Montgomery, after several attempts, I got to talk with him and it was settled that he would come to my new team in January. Everything was already settled, the amount to be paid, the value of his wages when I ...decided to go back on my intentions and I canceled the deal. He was in the last year of contract with Inter, so it did not make sense to invest so much money for a player that in January we could negotiate without intervention of the Italian club. Later(perhaps annoyed with me) he chose to return to his home country.
    Last edited by rodrigoazevedo; 10-09-17 at 06:16 PM.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rodrigoazevedo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Some good additions to the squad by the looks of it. Can't believe you missed out on Montgomery though!!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Fourfourtwo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Promising start to your overhaul of the club. Disappointed to hear about Montgomery though - maybe he's got sick of moving house?

42. The Following User Says Thank You to #4 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourfourtwo View Post
    Some good additions to the squad by the looks of it. Can't believe you missed out on Montgomery though!!
    Thanks mate I can not complain about Steve Montgomery, he was with me in 4 different teams and in all of them he helped me achieve collective goals. He has done 5 seasons with me, 190 games, 112 goals and 38 assists. Together we won 10 titles in those 5 years. I can only be grateful for his contribution.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by #4 View Post
    Promising start to your overhaul of the club. Disappointed to hear about Montgomery though - maybe he's got sick of moving house?
    Thanks mate I thought long before I canceled the deal. I know what he's worth, but still, I chose to give confidence to the players I already had on the squad and try to hire him for free at the end of the season. He really wanted to go back to his home country and this is completely understandable. Now, what I did not really understand, was the choice he made ... Bristol Rovers from League 1?!? But anyway, he chose that way for his career and I hope everything goes well.

vCash
    The awakening of a giant

PART II

Pre-season- The first official game would be only mid-September. Therefore and because the pre season would be long, I opted for two tours outside of Spain. In the last days of July, we traveled to Birmingham, England where we stayed for almost a week. I've booked two games, a 2-4 win against Aston Villa and a goalless draw against Birmingham City. In August, I took the team to Italy, where we also stayed for about a week. We faced my former team Napoli (we won by 1-2) and Fiorentina (2-3 win).
    Back in Madrid and because we had a long time until the beginning of the League I decided to organize two home tournaments. In Di Stefano Cup, we beat Benfica 3-0 and Millionarios (Colombia) by a convincing 5-0. In Puskas Cup we won 3-0 both games against Al Ahly (Egypt) and Honved (Hungary). Between these two tournaments that I mentioned, we played against Tenerife (La Liga team) that we crushed by 5-0. I was very pleased with the results achieved, but the important games were yet to come. Anyway it was good the games we made because I was always alternating the players and so I realized in more detail what the players at my disposal could offer to the team.
    But let's see then how everything went in the 2036/2037 season...

Copa del Rey - 1st round - Sporting Gijón 0-0 Real Madrid - Game against a team from the same division, we were always superior throughout the 120 minutes, but the truth is that we only decided the tie in our favor in the lottery of the penaltys, winning by 2-4.
    2nd round - Portugalete 1-6 Real Madrid - team of the lower divisions, we fulfill our obligation well.
    3rd round, 1st leg - Guijuelo 2-4 Real ; 2nd leg - Real 3-0 Guijuelo -Once again we won without any discussion against another team of lower divisions.
    Q-Final, 1st leg - Izarra 2-0 Real Acosta missed a penalty, we played 15 minutes with one more man on the field and their goalkeeper had an incredible performance. Anyway, we left a very bad image against another very accessible team.
    Q-Final, 2nd leg - Real 4-0 Izarra - Nothing more than it was our obligation. Two goals from Acosta and two from Beltrán sealed our awaited qualification.
    S-Final, 1st leg - Real 4-0 Alavés - Very strong team of La Liga (This season they reached the UEFA Cup final, losing in the final to Mechelen). We played a pretty decent game and we were rewarded with a result that opened the best prospects for the away game.
    S-Final, 2nd leg - Alavés 3-1 Real - I warned my players of the difficulties we would encounter. Hard game that we had to suffer a lot, they were winning 2-0 when already in the 2nd half Battaglia made the essential goal that brought us closer to the final. Alavés still made the third, but it was too late.
    Final - Real Madrid 1-3 Deportivo La Coruna - I was very confident that we would beat this strong opponent of La Liga. Especially because the home factor, favored us. Playing at the Bernabeu, even against a supposedly stronger team was something we had to capitalize on our behalf. Unfortunately ... everything went the other way. Falcón made the opening goal in the first 20 minutes of game. However, the referee cancelled that goal which would give us a valuable advantage. It might have been an important moment, but after that for a long time they were better than us. They made 3 goals and when Acosta reduced, there was little or nothing to do. I have no trouble recognizing and giving credit to our opponent because they deserved to win. It was tough, of course it was, because besides a trophy, there was also at stake the possibility of getting a place in the Uefa Cup of the following year. Maybe I did not take the necessary precautions, I instilled in my players the offensive mentality and wanting to attack, attack and attack and this may have cost us dearly. But we were in our own stadium and we are Real Madrid, I am sure that I would do the same if time went back.

La Liga2- I confess I did not expect such a season.Of course with the proper adjustments to the team, I felt that we were much stronger. I knew we had a team to fight for the 3 top league places that give access to the main division. Perhaps boosted by the good pre-season, we entered La Liga2 at full gas and maybe that was a determining factor for our very good performance in the competition. What matters is that the main objective of the season was reached. More than the title (which is undoubtedly great) the promotion was absolutely essential. We were the most regular team and in a long competition that started in September and lasted until June!! these were our final numbers...42 Games, 31 W 9D 2L 94GS-34GC and 102 points. Reus, who managed to concede one less goal than us, was 11 points behind. Some of the most relevant results we obtained, Real 7-1 Oviedo B, Valencia 2-4 Real, Real 5-0 Alavés B, Reus 2-3 Real, Real 4-1 Sporting Gijon, Real 3-0 Real Sociedad, At Malagueño 0-6 Real, Real 2-1 Valencia, Real 4-2 Rayo Vallecano, Sporting Gijon 3-3 Real, Real Sociedad 0-4 Real.
    Just for curiosity, here are the numbers of the players I signed and mentioned before:
    Johannes Weissenberger 32(6) 9G 7A 2MoM and 7.47 rat.
    António Rodrigues 34(1) 9A and 7.09 rat.
    Adriano Leitão 23(12) 10G 10A 3MoM and 7.60 rat.- Exceeded my expectations.
    J.A.Diaz 20(13) 8G 4A 2MoM and 7.30 rat.
    Ruud Salden 35(4) 1G 4A and 7.18 rat.
    A.Battaglia 38(3) 9G 7A 2MoM and 7.22 rat.
    Claudio Acosta 34(3) 15G 8A 4MoM and 7.76 rat. - Bet fully won
    Roberto Falcón 38(3) 13G 8A 5MoM and 8.00 rat. - After 7 goals in the pre season games, I honestly expected him to score more goals. Still, I kept the trust in him and I believe he paid back with very good performances.
    Nuno Quintas - 19 1G and 6.79 rat.
    Keith McLaughlin - 17(6) 1G 8A 1MoM and 7.43 rat.
    I have to mention also who was our player of the year and also the best La Liga2 Top goalscorer. Asier Beltrán, who at 31(age) had already had three seasons at the club. He had made a career in Linense, UCAM Murcia and a short passage in Tenerife. In the previous three seasons with Real, he had 80 games and 44 goals scored. 33 of those goals had been scored in the season that preceded my arrival. Initially I was tempted to put J.A.Diaz to make the partnership in front of attack with Falcón. In good time I kept Beltran in the starting eleven, because the contribution he gave to the team was absolutely decisive.
    Asier Beltrán 37(2) 29G 9A 8MoM and 7.92 rat.

Unfortunately I could not win the Copa del Rey, but I still believe we did what we were asked. I was satisfied and above all I was excited to continue my career in Madrid.

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rodrigoazevedo For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast