Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: [STORY] From Riches To Rags

vCash
    Stamina 3

Still looking good to go down without a threat to the job so I don't think I'd be jumping ship just yet. Can see your dilemma though, getting a fresh start at Bromley is tempting if the job does come up, particularly as they're already up to 34 games.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Stamina 3

Still looking good to go down without a threat to the job so I don't think I'd be jumping ship just yet. Can see your dilemma though, getting a fresh start at Bromley is tempting if the job does come up, particularly as they're already up to 34 games.
    I'd say stay at Tividale! You can do it without making a move!

vCash
    I'd stay seeing there's no pressure on you just yet.

vCash
    If it becomes available and if I get offered the job, then the number of points difference might be a crucial factor.

If I was able to lose 10 points then it's a no brainer. Equally, if Bromley have more points than us then there is no point.That said, I can't see why they would offer the job to me.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    From Riches To Rags - 2025/26 February

7 games to go and we are getting to the point where every point is crucial. It is still too early to go all out for defeats and risk getting the sack, but equally points gained now can’t be taken away. We’ve got a little room to play with and some tricky fixtures in the schedule, but we can’t be complacent after all this good work.

Playing Fylde for the second time in 4 days we were still without our keeper, Matt Cafer, following his sending off against Darlington. Neither of the youths that had stood in for him had been particularly impressive, getting a 2 and a 4 rating, so I changed it again and gave Steven Ottaway a chance. Matt Jay was still not fit enough to play, it must have been one hell of a stag do, and predictably Matty Harriott was only able to play one game a week, and even then he only lasts 60 minutes. I am starting to think that the former Northampton man is a liability.

With 4 youth players starting we set off strongly and Danny Hart picked up a pass from Stringfellow to open the scoring. After that it was predictably downhill. Ottaway actually played quite well and got a 7 rating, but the defence and midfield was a shambles. Fylde went onto an easy 3-1 win.

We should have been playing Halifax before the international break, however their pitch failed a late inspection and we get another week to recover

I thought that might give us a rare chance to start all 10 of my 1st team players, but on the eve of the rescheduled game, my captain broke down in training.

Matt Cafer was back and he showed why he had been missed with a timely man of the match performance. True we didn’t offer much in terms of a threat to the Halifax goal, but our 3rd clean-sheet of the season was very timely.

Ganfield was again the only man missing for the trip to Hednesford. Again we were toothless up front and with Cafer unable to repeat his heroics, we went down 2-0. Elsewhere and it was the end of the line for Bromley boss Mark Bower with his team anchored as the foot of the league.

I do still have a few points to play with, so as we are hosting Woking, I did want to put one over on my former employers. Besides a win would put a big dent in their promotion hopes. We set up to attack and raced into a 2-0 lead. Jay got the first as he turned brilliantly to connect to a Hart flick and Tomlinson took ownership of a lose ball for our second. Woking got one back but we were totally dominant. It was only a matter of time before Griffin and Byrne applied the hard work to leave Jay with a simple finish. Typically, we can’t keep it going and we fade badly in the closing minutes. Turnbull makes it 3-2 then Ions for 3-3. I urged the lads forward for one last effort. Byrne took control deep in our own half. He has no intention of letting anyone else have the ball as he wades through the heavy pitch slightly less slow than everyone else. There is just enough left in his legs for a shot and somehow it slips through the keepers gloves for a late winner. That is 2 wins and 2 draws in the head-to-head games.

The fun is over and back to business for a trip to Brackley. MacFarlane, Webb and Harriott all joined Ganfield in watching from the sidelines at the horror show. We just never got a grip of their striker, Josh East, who is already on 21 for the season. He added to that with a hat-trick in the first 20 minutes. Jay had got one for us, his 3rd minute strike being an equaliser ! Danny Hart gave us some hope when he made it 3-2, but East’s 4th of the game wrapped it up for Brackley.

And then a curved ball is thrown into the mix

Certainly taking a job now, with just 8 games to play, would eliminate any risk of the sack and there is something about Tividale FC that would give me pleasure if they managed to survive. That said, if it had been offered 2 weeks ago, it might have been a no-brainer, however 2 wins in their last 3 games have brought them back into the battle.

There is virtually nothing between the teams and there is still the head to head next month. If there had been a 7 point gap (10 if we make sure we lose the head to head), I would have probably gone to Bromley, but as it stands, I know where I am with Tividale and unfortunately for any Dale fans reading, that means they are going down.

Except for Ganfield, everyone was fit to play Salisbury. We were shocking up front. 8 shots, none on target. At the back, we were poor. Salisbury scored once in each half and their keeper had the easiest game of his career

Managerles Bromley won again to drop us back into the bottom 2, so it realy is everything to play for with just 7 games left.

3 of our last 4 games are against teams in the top 4 and we have that Bromley tie next month. I think that I might just do this without going to the ultra-defensive tactics

Last edited by Kingsley; 01-08-17 at 07:19 AM.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    A big update!

I'm surprised how things changed down there this month! Especially as you had so many games in hand on Bromley and co. Plus another game called off too.

Got to admit I'd have stayed at Tividale as well given there was only 1 point in it.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

vCash
    A big update!

I'm surprised how things changed down there this month! Especially as you had so many games in hand on Bromley and co. Plus another game called off too.

Got to admit I'd have stayed at Tividale as well given there was only 1 point in it.
    Bromley getting 6 points out of 9 and Worcester 0 from their 3 games made a big difference. We got 4 points from 6 games played which is about par for the course.

vCash
    From Riches To Rags - 2025/26 March

The lull before the storm. 7 games to play and just 3 scheduled for March. The final game will see a potential 6 pointer as we face relegation rivals Bromley in South-East London. They will of course now be under the charge of former Charlton, Middlesbrough and Millwall hardman Nicky Bailey who is getting his first taste of management

Again we were close to getting that full first team out, Ganfield was back, but central defender Jack Lane had picked up his 5th yellow card against Salisbury and has to sit this one out. There is not much to say other than that we were a match for Chester, however the goals have all but dried up. Chester got one in each half as we go down to another defeat.

Northwich at home marks 3 games in a row without a goal, however this one was very different from the last 2. Firstly we had all 10 first team players fit and available for the first time since I cant remember. Secondly we battered the Northwich goal and hit the woodwork 3 times. Visiting keeper Jordan Millar was awarded the man of the match for an outstanding performance. As is so typical of these games, Northwich scored on the break to steal all 3 points.

Bromley are now 4 points clear of us and if we were to lose, 7 points clear with 4 to play would surely be too much. They were clear favorites having lost just 1 in 6 while we have won just once in our last 12 and failed to find the net in any of our last 3 games. What better time to lose form ! Isnt it therefore bloody typical that Matty Harriott should pick this game to score his first ever goal for Tividale. So often he is the liability, but now he decides to drive home a Byrne pass. After that it was the Matt Cafer show as he pulled off save after save after save. He made just 1 mistake which allowed Bromley to equalise, but that was it. The points were shared and nothing was decided.

Relegation is now within touching distance. 3 defeats in our final 4 games will be enough.

That said, Im tempted to go for it against Tamworh after their shocking sportsmanship in the previous game. It might be just revenge to scupper their promotion bid. We dont have a hope against Hampton & Richmond 2 days later and Hartlepool should be too strong. It could well be over before we play Braintree.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Time to complete the job (and story!).
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    Should be polished off tomorrow. If not, I might cry !

vCash
    Then you have to do the opposite and get teams promoted through the leagues without signing anyone

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Didn't merk do that once with Vauxhall? He put a lot of analysis on progress of the youth players as well which made for an interesting story.
    The Alphabet Game #3

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Then you have to do the opposite and get teams promoted through the leagues without signing anyone
    Funny you should say that. I am thinking of doing just that. getting promoted (no moving to a club in a higher league) and no buying anyone or winning any leagues until I qualify for Champions League.

I might take a small break first as I really want to buy some players.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    It just seemed too soon for it to end (although obviously it's your decision) and I thought it seemed the natural thing to do.

Winning the Champions League without winning a trophy would be good, I'd have said including playoffs as well could be a nice touch.

vCash
    Wonderful!

I am now camping in the UK so I have less time to be on the internet as they have no Wifi at the campsite, but it looks like you are creating history!

vCash
    From Riches To Rags - 2025/26 April

And so to the final chapter. Although it is not absolutely guaranteed yet, I don’t intend on messing it up at this late stage. That said, I do think that there is one last chance for a bit of fun with plucky Tividale and the 4 matches that remain. As I’ve said, I’ve not forgotten Tamworth and their gamesmanship and so I’ll use the 4 point cushion to wreck their promotion.

I have a full team and kick of with a fully wib-wobbed 4-4-2. Unfortunately it didn’t start off exactly as planned. Anderson was left unmarked to for Tamworth into the lead and they managed to hold off the barrage of Tividale attacks until half-time. Almost from the kick off we get the equaliser. Jay charges forward but he is tackled as he pulls the trigger. It breaks for Tomlinson who finishes off what Jay started. Now for a winner. I’m not sure what is up with Matty Harriott, but having not scored in 48 previous appearances, he now makes it 2 on the spin. Hart is brought down in the area and it is Harriott who places the ball on the spot and after a short run-up (it is all that he can manage as stamina is now 1) he picks his spot in the corner. That short run up was the last straw for his legs and Harriott is immediately subbed. All we had to do was hold on, which for once, with a properly organised defence, we did. **** you Tamworth !

Of the other contenders, Bromley managed a draw, so nobody is yet safe or yet doomed.

As predicted, not one of the outfield players was fit enough to start the Hampton & Richmond game on the Tuesday. It was therefore Cafer in goal with 10 youths in front of him and 7 more on the bench. To be fair, they did put up a brave fight and Tony Stringfellow bagged himself another goal, but Hapton & Richmond were just too strong and ran out 2-1 winners.

There was another win for Bromley who realistically need just 1 more point. Worcester and Spalding both lost, so there is still everything up in the air.

Strangely Salisbury sack Michael Raynes with just 2 games of the season left to play. They are not at risk, so you would think that they would let him play out the final 2 games.

It was back to full strength to welcome the Champions Elect, Hartlepool. They had been the class of the field and have won the league after narrowly surviving on the final day of last season. As expected they raced into a 3 goal lead and were not put off their stride by the double set back of Carl Griffin’s goal for us and their left winger being sent off. There was more than enough in the tank for them to bag a 4th and leave us still in the relegation zone going into the final day.

I had hoped that we might have been already down, but once again, Worcester and Spalding both managed to lose. Bromley are safe by default and I am regretting that showboating against Tamworth. In a one off game, the CM Gods have a habit of wanting a bit of a laugh.

I suspect that he just wanted an early getaway for the beach as 3 months sounds a lot for ankle ligaments, but I’m not that bothered as Byrne being out can only be a help

I decided to give the CM Gods as little chance as possible to cock it up. It was still 4-4-2 and it was all the available first team players, but it was a defensive mentality and with 2 defensive midfielders, we also had men behind the ball (my argument after the game was that a draw might have been enough !). The CM Gods were beaten. Braintree went 3-0 up inside 26 minutes and the Tividale faithful could start singing about going down. I could relax and even went to a more attacking formation to avoid an embarrassing score. Even so, with 7 minutes left, Danny Hart had seen enough and he was off to join Byrne on the beach

The other results didn’t matter. We had won relegation fair and square.

It all started in front of 53,350 at The Etihad where Peter Crouch scored twice in the last 3 minutes in a 2-0 win for Stoke. Ending at Cressing Road with 2,122 in attendance is, I guess, Riches to Rags.

Although whether it is riches to rags or not, I did manage to lose my first and last games.

Plus a change, plus c'est la mme chose.
    Last edited by Kingsley; 03-08-17 at 09:33 AM.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Apart from the odd season here and there where jobs wouldn't come up for you, you made easy work of getting relegated
    The Alphabet Game #3

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    You've done it! Congratulations!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Apart from the odd season here and there where jobs wouldn't come up for you, you made easy work of getting relegated
    In the end, it was all about getting the right club at the right time. It was Woking where I tried to force bad results and they just wouldn't happen. In some ways I'd have quite liked it to be harder, but it's done and I can start on a new adventure. I need to catch up on my paid work first though

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Well done.

It is amazing the things you learn in this story.
    Clubs I never heard of etc
    I even learnt about the song the Blaydon Races which is very catchy.
    Added to my list of catchy tunes on you tube
    But to me sounds like 'the bleedin races'

31. The Following User Says Thank You to fry78 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Blaydon Races is etched upon my soul.
    Stands to reason that Newcastle got embarrased by a lower league side near the end there.

Congrats. Another great Eejit/Kingsley story comes to an end.
    Look forward to you coming back and doing it the other way!

Hall of Fame bound!!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just caught up. Well done on completing this unique challenge, it certainly made for fascinating reading. The way you started made me think it was going to be done in six seasons but the difficulty in getting certain jobs made things more interesting. Loved the antics of the Kingsley mascot. Brilliantly written as usual and hopefully HOF bound before long.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718