Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [STORY] From Riches To Rags

vCash
    Surely Watford can't go on like this? They need you! Badly!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Surely Watford can't go on like this? They need you! Badly!
    They need anyone but me
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    28 games done already, season seems to be flying by.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    They need anyone but me
    Exactly my thoughts!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    From Riches To Rags - 2016/17 March

We are moving into the business end of the season and only the Watford job is showing any sign of becoming available. I must admit that I had expected something to come up before now. With games running out, there is a danger that Watford may already be relegated before I get the chance to take over.

Arsenal are having a pretty awful domestic season. Depending on what happens in the FA Cup, their current 7th place may not be enough to get them into Europe next season. That said, they are currently top of their Champions League group so we canít take anything for granted. Only Sterling was missing from my strongest starting 11 in a game that was all over in the first 6 minutes. First de Bruyne pick-pocketted Rooney and squared for Aguero to finish from close range. From the kickoff, Aguero took over and was going past Xhaka when he was upended. Xhaka was deamed to be the last man, so after 6 minutes Arsenal were a goal down and a man down. Kompany took the free kick,Aguero jumped between defenders and headed us 2-0 up. After that, Arsenal went for damage limitation and held out for the remaining 84 minutes, without creating a single chance. Watford lost 1-0 to Swansea and Palace went down 3-2 in a relegation 6 pointer with Southampton. Alardyce is back under threat. However it is Mazzarri who has the biggest headache.

With cup quarterfinals next weekend, he will keep his job for atleast 2 weeks. After that there will be just 8 games to play.

Raheem Sterling was back for the home Champions League game with Bayern. However I did still have a headache. Although we had confirmed qualification, Barcelona were 3 points behind us and if we were to beat Bayern, they could only draw level. That meant there was a real danger of winning the group. If I wanted to keep destiny in my own hands, I must not win. A very much depleted City squad went out and lost 1-0 to a Lewandowski first half strike. It was just as well that I did as PSG and Barcelona drew 1-1.

Southampton have been on a huge slide of late. Having been 3rd at one point in the season Claude Puleís side are currently flirting with relegation. I expect that they therefore had other things on their mind rather than a cup quarter final. Fraser Forster being carried off after 6 minutes didnít do much to help them, but we were in no mood for leniency. Aguero in the first half, followed by a Kolarov penalty and goals from de Bruyne and Gabriel Jesus in the second half put us in the hat for the semi final draw. We got paired with Liverpool, while Chelsea will play United in the other semi. Our game will be played at St. Jamesí.

Although they didnít play, there was still a chance for some more bad news for Watford

Back to Europe and a must lose tie ! Anything other than a win for Barcelona and City would top the group and risk a league win on the record. It was all going so well. Umtiti put the Catalanís ahead and Alcacer added a second just after the half hour. The turning point was a nasty injury to Lionel Messi. After that, Barca went into their shell and Fernandinho pulled one back, converting a low cross from Sterling. A nail biting second half saw no more goals, although Delph did have an effort disallowed due to an offside flag. We survived and will meet Leverkusen in the quarter final. Job done.

The final game of the month turned out to be a bit of a disaster. A win would put me in contention for Manager of the Month, so I set up ultra-defensive to play Bournemouth. What I didnít bargain for was Artur Boruc getting sent off in the first half. Nolito dispatched the resulting penalty and Bournemouth folded. Nolito added a second then Aguero joined the fun before they got a late consolation. Iím not quite sure what the City fans made of me waving at the end of the game

So, in the league, 2 wins and a goal difference of 5-0. That was bettered by Everton who beat Liverpool 1-0 and Spurs 5-0. I should be safe. Safe is something that Walter Mazzarri isnít. Watford went down 2-0 at West Ham and that was the final straw.

And this is the real reason for my wave to the fans ! Strangely Palace lost again, now 10 in a row, but Sam Alardyce is no longer considered to be at risk. I suspect more dodgy money has changed hands somewhere.

The month ends with us back in 2nd and a decent gap on Spurs, but 9 point adrift of United. At the other end, the bottom 3 look to be doomed. For now, I can take a couple of weeks off to watch the internationals and wait for the phone call from Watford.

You have to give it credit. When things do go tits-up, they do it good and proper.

Spoiler!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    28 games done already, season seems to be flying by.
    I've been trying to get to the more interesting bit as quickly as possible. Winning with City doesn't do much for anyone but the player.

vCash
    Thoroughly enjoying this!

From my experiences it's much easier to keep your job and underachieve, if you improve the bank balance and keep harmony amongst the players. I think you mentioned not selling anyone, so that might make it even more of a challenge!

what's the morale like at Watford? Any trouble makers in the dressing room?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sunmancisco For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sunmancisco View Post
    what's the morale like at Watford? Any trouble makers in the dressing room?
    Did you open the spoiler ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Did you open the spoiler ?
    NO! I'm at work and the computer here has blocked it

vCash
    OK .... Laurent Blanc got the Watford job so I'm not bothered about the squad morale !

vCash
    Bloody hell That's a real kick in the balls.

There goes the hope of never winning an award!

Somehow I'm not surprised to see that you didn't get the job though. Not sure why!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    oh well that's... disappointing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Bloody hell That's a real kick in the balls.

There goes the hope of never winning an award!

Somehow I'm not surprised to see that you didn't get the job though. Not sure why!
    I was always worried about Pep being out of work and ranked second in England, but I didn't see an appointment from leftfield. To be honest, if Blanc applied, I've no idea why Pep didn't.

vCash
    I'm not surprised you couldn't keep up your record of not winning MOTM. It was a risky strategy waiting until the last game of the month if necessary to use the defensive tactic and it was always going to backfire eventually. Still, as long as you don't win any trophies, it's all good.

Looks like you're stuck at City for the time being. Hopefully you'll receive a reputation boost in the summer and will be able to find something next season. It wouldn't surprise me to see Big Sam retire in the summer if he doesn't get sacked, as managers tend to retire earlier in the game than IRL.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CMAdventurer View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me to see Big Sam retire in the summer if he doesn't get sacked, as managers tend to retire earlier in the game than IRL.
    I'm not sure that will help much as Palace will be a Championship side by then. I'm sure someone will go in the summer one way or another.

vCash
    From Riches To Rags - 2016/17 April

Into April and it is getting a bit late for a move away from City. Unfortunately it is now too late to create any sort of plan B for this season, unless the situations at Hull or Palace were to change significantly. I think that my new plan will be to move to a lower ranked side in the summer, one that I might be able to take down without getting sacked. Certainly Southampton, Everton and Arsenal will have underachieved, although I suspect that their boards will not tolerate a total failure. Maybe one of the promoted clubs managers will get snapped up.

I have blown the no Manager of the Month award part of the challenge, so with that monkey off my back, I can showcase what City could have/should have done and see how close we can get to our City rivals. 5 league games including a Manchester derby and 3 cup games, including a Liverpool FA Cup semi final should make this an interesting month.

First up a trip to a Sunderland side who are managing to stay just above the danger zone. We were far from our best, but that was way too good for Sunderland who surrendered a goal early in each half. Fernandinho scored after just 5 minutes and 4 minutes into the second half, Begovic upended Aguero. The keeper was sent off and Kompany dispatched the penalty.

Elsewhere, Leicester beat United in the EFL Cup final. United now have a game in hand, but we are just 6 points behind.

There were no City players involved in the top award for the end of year back slapping festival. Harry Kane was awarded player of the year (Kante and Luiz as runners up). In the Young player of the year, Martial took the award (Alli was runner up, followed by a very pleased Leroy Sane)

On the eve of our trip to Leverkusen, Gabriel Jesus picked up a thigh injury in training, although Iím not sure that he would have been involved. The valuable 1-0 win came from a Delph goal midway through the first half. Holger Badstuber picked up a red card and the hosts played with 10 men for the last 20 minutes. Strangely, in a game we dominated, Claudio Bravo was named man of the match. I think that flatters Leverkusen.

The Bournemouth debacle at the end of March had me concerned about our Cup progress. I didnít want to win the cup, but if I left it to the final, anything could happen in a one-of game, so it was time to bow out at St. Jamesíin the semi final. We went defensive, however the mistake I made is not showing Liverpool the script. They were shocking, never looked like creating anything and stood back in awe as Aguero raced through them for the games only goal. Oh well Ö just have to make do with a final against Chelsea, who inflicted a second cup defeat on United in 7 days. Bummer !

Back to league action and a visit from under achieving Everton. Again we were not at our best, but still picked up a 2-0 win. Kompany with another penalty and Gabriel Jesus with a goal off the bench to mark his return to action. Sadly the game also saw Vincent Kompany be carried off late on. He will be out for 2 weeks with a sprained ankle.

Our captain was joined by Sane who had a bruised thigh and will miss the Manchester derby. Going into the game, the gap was down to 4 points thanks to Unitedís surprise draw at Liverpool. It was the bare bones of a squad forme to work with having just 5 fit defenders. The choice for centerback to accompany Otamendi was between Stones and Zabaleta. Nether filled me with confidence, but in the end it was Stones who started, Zabaleta at his favoured right back and Clichy on the left. The midfield looked strong, but the depth on the bench gave me little to work with. In a typical Jose performance, they parked the bus. Nolito took advantage with an early penalty, but still they were looking to counter attack on the break. Our cause was not helped when de Bruyne joined the injury list. It is now getting ridiculous. As we were rearranging the midfield to accommodate Silva, Rashford hassled Stones into a poor backpass and rounded Bravo for an equalizer. And that is how it stayed, honours even and a 4 point lead with 5 games to play (United have 6)

I had been following the situation at Palace. It was a strange one as midweek there would be claims that Allardyce was at some level of risk, but after yet another loss, his job amazingly became safe again. I did raise an eyebrow when they lost 2-0 to a Watford side who had recovered some pride under Blanc, but thought no more of it, until this grabbed my attention

I applied more in hope than expectation and also noted goings on at St. Maryís

Maybe all is not yet lost for this season.

The second leg of the Championís League final with Leverkusenwas ours to lose. We had the away goal, so although the lead was slender, it was significant. Yet another penalty, Nolito this time, gave us a first half lead and the Germans needed to score twice, that never looked like happening, particularly when Bender and Wendell picked up knocks. It looked like petering out and a straight forward passage, but the fans who stayed to the end enjoyed a mad final 10 minutes. First David Silva scored with a diving header. He desnít score many, but he does them with style. Former red Chicharito had been getting abuse from the fans all night, but he got his revenge with a consolation to give them some hope. That was obliterated from the kick-off with Jesus Navas restoring the 3 goal cushion. We will probably have to play much better against Barcelona in the semi final.

United had won their game in hand so were once again 7 points clear. We had to beat Swansea to maintain our slim hopes (not that there was any chance of us actually winning the league !). It was a horrendous game that somehow salvaged a 1-0 win from. Nolito got the goal in the first half, but the talking points were Agueroís sprained ankle that probably ends his season and Delphís red card that will see him miss 3 of the last 5 games.

I have no idea what sort of City team will be able to come out to face Burnley. That, however, would not be my problem.

It came on the day that Claude Puel was sacked, not that it would have made any difference. There is no doubt what my decision would be.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    How do you manage a screenshot of the complete table???

vCash
    Take 2 screenshots and cut/paste in Windows Paint !

Edit: You can see the join under Everton

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Indeed, it's a pain to take screenshots like that. I do it for DTL all the time

Anyhow - That worked out rather nicely! One suspects that even if you tried your utmost to keep Palace up, it wouldn't be enough. Southampton need only 5 points from 3 games and Middlesbrough just 1 from 4!
    The Alphabet Game #3

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Palace to the rescue!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

AJ is offline Member of the Month
    Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Down the Palace!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The Palace Revolution!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    The Palace Revolution!
    I have always thought that Palace were revolting

EDIT: I'mnow even more bewildered as to why I didn't get the Watford job. I don't see Watford as being more attractive than Palace so if Blanc was considered for them I would have expected some big names to be ahead of me this time. Anyway, who cares .... time for me to finish them off !

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    From Riches To Rags - 2016/17 April (part 2)

I thought I might be sad to leave City, but Iím not. Iíve had enough and Iíll leave it to someone else. I bet you canít guess who took on City after me Ö.

It wasnít hard ! Pastures new and onto Palace. There is one thing that is very familiar, a small squad and selection problems. Iíll go through the squad at the end of this/before next season, but after trawling through the reserves I came up with 21 players who were good enough. That includes keeper Steve Mandanda who is currently serving a 5 game ban after picking up his 3rd red card of the year, Scott Dann who has 2 weeks remaining of a groin injury and Connor Wickham who will be out for another month following cruciate ligament damage. That leaves me with 18, just enough to fill the bench.

The situation was looking precarious. 8 points from safety with 4 games to play. They had only scored 16 in the league all season and I pick up the reigns on the end of 11 consecutive defeats. Our goal difference is 11 worse than Southampton and 19 worse than Hull. As I say, precarious Ö.and then you look at the remaining fixtures

You have got to be kidding me. Even if Southampton donít get another point, we need to get 9 points from that set. I bet that The gods of CM are pissing themselves. Looking positive, I can at least give it a good go, with no defensive tactics and just see how close I can get. There were no further call offs before the Spurs game, so this was the line-up that looked to be the strongest.

It was not the best of starts. 2 minutes in and Kane intercepts a clearance and feeds Alli. Cabaye gets in a solid challenge, but it breaks for Dier who hits it first time into the top corner. Nothing much you can do about that sort of goal, but plenty we could have done about Kaneís goal on 13 minutes. Speroni should have claimed Winksí cross-cum-shot, but spilled it at the feet of Eriksen. To be fair, he did well to block the follow up, but where were the defense when it broke to Kane for a tap in. It could have been an opening of the floodgates. Spurs could smell the blood of eagles and were going for it. Maybe it was luck or maybe the defence finally got tuned in, but somehow we made it to half time without any further damage. Something had to change as we were creating nothing. The optionson the bench were not inspiring, so I opted to move Loic Remy up front alongside Benteke. What harm could it do ? We were getting thrashed anyway.

It may have been a small change, but it had an amazing effect. It was like a different team. Suddenly we were all over them and Lloris was the far busier keeper. That said, he was looking solid, until the 64th minute. Kelly and Lee-Chung-Yong had only just come on for Schlupp and Zaha. It was Kellyís first touch. He spotted Benteke had pulled off Vertonghen and sent in a diagonal. Benteke knocked it down for Ledley who hammered home a vicious drive. Game on. 8 minutes later and a route one freekick from Delaney found the head of Benteke and the ball looped over Lloris for an equalizer. Spurs were hanging on. Remy put header wide, Lloris saved from Benteke and Alli cleared off the line following a corner. Then a break up the other end. NíKoudou was in on Speroni, rouned him and scored Ö.only to turn round and see the linesmans flag. A couple of more chances for Joe Ledley and the final whistle was blown.

The board were happy. We were a point closer to Southampton and had shown a bit of fight and desire.

There is still a long way to go and games running out, but the fans are starting to believe. (I donít want to be the one to tell them that there is no chance !)

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good point I suppose!

Nice of you to keep Pep's seat warm for a bit as well!
    The Alphabet Game #3

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast