Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [STORY] From Riches To Rags

vCash

[STORY] From Riches To Rags

From Riches To Rags

We've all done the rags to riches trail. Taking a diddy club like Southport to become Champion's League winners. There are more people with that t-shirt than there are Kingsley/Eejit stories on this website. But what about going the other way ? I can't recall anyone starting with a top 6 club in the Premier League and ending with relegation out of the Northern Premier league.

It's not so simple as to just deliberately lose all of your matches. If you are at any of the big clubs, as soon as there is a sniff of relegation, you would be sacked before you could say “I can turn this around boss”. To get 5 relegations is going to need a different tactic. In fact, it is going to need a change of club. Even with a less illustrios club, getting a relegation without being sacked is not going to be simple. With that in mind, here are the rules that I have set myself.

• I can change club as often as I like, but only to a club in the same league or higher.
    • If I get sacked, I need to get a job at the same league or higher to restart the mission
    • A relegation counts only when I am incharge on the day that the relegation is confirmed (There must be no red R against the club in the League Table) and I must still be in charge for the first game of the next season in the lower division. If I get sacked inbetween then I need to restart at the level that I was relegated from.
    • I must use “sensible” tactics at all times. There will be no moving the goalkeeper to midfield, or all of the outfield players to the wings
    • I'm not allowed to win any competition in the entire story
    • I'm going to try to do it without buying or selling any players (that might get more difficult as I go down the leagues)

There is still a big hurdle to overcome. Where to start ?

Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Man City
    Man Utd
    Tottenham

I really don't want to go to any of them !
    Last edited by Kingsley; 19-04-17 at 02:51 PM.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    This will be different. I am not sure how your going to get on. Its going to be tough not to be sacked. I vote for Man Utd

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ashton430 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    You mean I'm not the only one to have took Southport to Champions League glory?!

Best of luck with this mate, a very interesting concept indeed, not sure how feasible it will be, but it will be fun to see that's for sure.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    You'll need to stagnate with a big club for years and slowly grind them down to the lower divisions . . . it's difficult to imagine how long that would be if you were trying to keep with the same club for the entirety.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I've not yet decided on who to start with, but I think my plan will be to build up a reputation, then jump to a club near the bottom of the league in February or March, assuming that I have enough reputation to get offered the job. I might just survive if that club is already a basket case.

I'm going to add 2 more rules. I'm not allowed to win any competition in the entire story and I'm going to try to do it without buying or selling any players (that might get more difficult as I go down the leagues. I'll update the 1st post.

vCash
    Erm, good luck trying to achieve this without being sacked then
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash

Saturday 16/07/16 12:00

mancity.com are the first to bring news that Pep Guardiola has been relieved of his duties as first team manager. Guardiola (45) was only appointed a few weeks ago and the surprise departure was announced by City's Chief Executive, Ferran Sorriano

“Without access to players like Lionel Messi, Neymar Jr., Andres Iniesta and Sergio Busquets or Manuel Neuer, Philipp Lahm, Robert Lewandowski and Arjen Robben, Mr Guardiola is not the tactical genius that we were led to believe. It is with regret that we have therefore terminated his contract with immediate effect.

We would like to wish Mr Guardiola every success in whatever he does next, and would like to point out that the managers job at Mansfield Town is currently available should he wish to apply”

Pep Guardiola was unavailable for comment, however a spokesman did say that it was a fair assessment of his ability.

In a second exclusive for mancity.com we can reveil that Scotsman Kingsley has been appointed as the new manager of the City first team.

Kingsley's only previous professional football experience has been as a mascot to Scottish Premier League outfit Partick Thistle. This move may come as a surprise to many supporters however in a statement from City's Chief Executive, Ferran Sorriano,

“We have every confidence that Kingsley will take Manchester City to places they have never been before. We also believe that he will be able to scare the shit out of some of the younger visiting fans”.

mancity.com were allowed a brief interview with Kingsley.

“This is a great oportunity for me. I did offers from other Premier League clubs, but I chose City primarily because they are not in London or Liverpool. I chose City over the scum from the other side of Manchester as City are in the Champions League”.

“I may not yet know all the words to Blue Moon but I do know how to moon”

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Erm, good luck trying to achieve this without being sacked then
    To be honest, I hope I do. I'm going to try not to get sacked, but it will add to the fun if it happens along the way.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Seems random - will keep an eye

vCash
    From Riches To Rags - 2016/17 Pre-season

It is very strange to be starting off with the only target being to build up enough reputation to take over a worse club. While we're at it, it is also very strange to have a pre-season where you are not scouting any players, or looking to make any squad changes.

Not that the City squad is perfect, far from it, as we will see later. However as I am going to try to do this without signing a single player, scouting is of no value. That didn't stop me from sitting down to assess the resources at my disposal, starting, as usual, with the backroom.

I had 3 physios which is good and 7 scouts, which is of no significance, although I did assign Carles Planchart to give the next opposition the once over and Carlo Cancellieri to keep an eye on City games. The 5 coaches were all adequate and upto the expected standard, so the only issue I had was with my assistant, Brian Kidd, who was somewhat lacking in the coaching skills.

That said, I'm sure that I'd find a job for him somewhere

No surprises and no major problems with that lot, so I asked Lorenzo Buenaventura for physio reports on all the players and Mikel Arteta for coaching assessments.

Onto the squad and this was the surprise. At first glance I had 47 players at my disposal, however 21 of them were out on loan at other clubs.

I would certainly like to have Hart, Mangala, Denayer and Bony available and I guess that there is nothing to stop me recalling them, but I'm going to try to avoid that if I can. That left 26 players. Sadly Angus Gunn (GK), Aleix Garcia (AMC) and Thierry Ambrose (SC)are no where near ready for the first team, so I am down to 23. I don't think that I need to introduce any of them to you. The names are all very familiar

Unfortunately Ilkay Gundogan is out for 10 months which will leave me with a usable squad of just 22. That is very far from ideal, especially if I am to compete on 4 fronts. Most worrying is the rightback role where Sagna and Zabaleta are the only options. I need them to stay injury and suspension free. I can't say that Bravo or Caballero fill me with any confidence between the sticks.

The midfield does look to be very attack minded so my plan is to go with a 4-2-3-1 formation that is not very different to that deployed by Pep in real life.

It should give options to shuffle the 3 AMCs and mix things up that way. Training schedules were set up to prepare ourselves for the forthcoming season.

The physio and coaching reports were in and most were very positive, but there are certainly a few players that I will need to keep an eye on

This will not be the walk in the park that I had arrived here expecting. The task was not made easier with the draw for the Champions League 3rd qualifying round.

We could have got Trencin from Slovakia …. we didn't
    We could have got SJK from Finland …. we didn't
    We could have got Astana from Kazakhstan …. we didn't

Roma …. Probably the hardest draw available. I suppose we should be thankful that the first leg, my first game in charge, is away. But honestly …. ROMA.

So, here are the fixtures for my first month in command of City.

Going to bed, I asked my wife what she thought of our chances

Edit to add ..... My reputation starts of 34th in England and 422nd in the world
    Last edited by Kingsley; 21-04-17 at 02:57 PM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just play all the youngers, you'll get relegated quicker
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just play all the youngers, you'll get relegated quicker
    I rather think that will get me the sack quicker !

Besides, there are only 3 grey players and the 3 kids, so I'd still need to play a good few of the stars

vCash
    Might be worth using a tried and tested tactic and going all out for the cups whilst steadily taking the foot off the gas in the league. You could probably finish 12-15th and not get sacked if you win other trophies. Grind them down to mediocrity.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to hodgy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hodgy View Post
    Might be worth using a tried and tested tactic and going all out for the cups whilst steadily taking the foot off the gas in the league. You could probably finish 12-15th and not get sacked if you win other trophies. Grind them down to mediocrity.
    Thanks for the idea as I don't really have a scooby what I am doing !

It's a thought. My worry with that is it would only take a superkeeper or a red card to be dumped out of a cup. If we are also doing badly in the league, it would be a risk.
    I think that my plan is to not even try to get City relegated, but to do my best especially league and Europe and hope that a club in trouble sack their manager later in the season. Besides, I quite fancy the challenge of managing such a small squad.

If that doesn't work and I'm still at City with the same squad of players, I might try out your idea next time round.

vCash
    From Riches To Rags - 2016/17 August

And finally the action starts. And what a place to start a career.

The Stadio Olimpico on a European night for the first game is a dream, but if the game goes horribly wrong, it could easily turn into a nightmare. Excluding Gundogan who is out for the season, I had a full and fit squad to select from and so I picked what I thought was my strongest 11 to start. I did think about resting a couple for the Spurs game, but we will see how they recover over the 3 days inbetween.

On paper, that lineup should be good enough to beat any side, but this game is not played on paper and we know that there are question marks over the fitness or temperament for several of that line up. I sent the lads out looking for an early away goal that would silence the partisan crowd. I followed them out and was taking my seat in the dugout as the game kicked off

I had no idea what to expect. The adrenalin was buzzing and the first 20 minutes were gone in a flash. That was mainly due to the x6 game speed and Very Fast commentary ! By the time I had settled everything down, I found that we were already a goal up. Reviewing the footage at halftime, Silva had picked up a clearance and chipped a pass onto Fernandinho's run. The Brazilian took it first time and powered a shot past Alisson. We were in control, however Kompany signaled that he needed to come off, as did de Bruyne. It was a double blow so early, but Cliche and Sterling were pretty decent replacements. Roma were coming back. Otamendi headed clear, Aguero took control, spotted Sane and sent him free …. 2-0. 25 minutes gone and we had pretty much assured progression to the group stage. Just to make it sure, Silva added a third in the second half.

Everyone had fully recovered, so we were unchanged for the visit of Spurs. Unfortunately Sagna had broken down in training, so a lot would depend on Zabaleta staying fit as he is the only right back for the next 12 days. It was one of those games where we dominated every statistic, but the final ball was letting us down. Lloris was playing a blinder and it looked like a nailed on 0-0 draw until 3 minutes from time when Kolarov found Sane on the left and the young winger turned Walker and got behind Alderweireld to finally beat Lloris from a tight angle.

The second leg of the European qualifier was pretty much a formality, so I made wholesale changes to the starting 11. Any doubt about the outcome was put to rest by a Raheem Sterling first half brace. The only negative was that both full backs, Cliche and Zabaleta had to be replaced as a precaution and we played the second half with a back 3. Roma never looked like causing an upset.

Our reward was atough looking group, but one that I think we have a good chance of progressing from. Much will depend on the results with Lyon and I expect Dortmund to progress and FC København to be the whipping boys.

The final game was Watford at home. Other than Cliche for Kolarov, it was the starting 11 that played the first Roma game. Watford were truly awful. Aguerro opened his acount in the 2nd minute. Fernando scored 2 and missed a third penalty while Zabaleta and Sterling both found the back of the net in a 5-0 trouncing.

4 wins, no goals conceded. Careers don't start much better than that. The embryonic league table makes very good reading for City fans.

My rankings are upto 24th in England and 421st world wide, although it is far to early to be looking for other jobs. Still there are some big games to look forward to. Chelsea in the league will test our title credentials while the away game with Lyon might have a significant impact on our European adventure.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    What a start! Good luck!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to nordfotboll For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Boo, too good a start
    The Alphabet Game #3

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    "You know what your doing, you know what your doing"

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Boo, too good a start
    Plenty of time for it to go tits up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    "You know what your doing, you know what your doing"
    If only that were true

vCash
    Glad to see you've started a new story. I had an idea for a "riches to rags" story myself a couple of years ago but that never really took off. The idea for mine was to win something with a top club, before moving to clubs with slightly lower reputations each time and repeating the process. I prefer your version of it, though, so I'm very interested to see how it goes.

Hopefully a job at a struggling side will come up before the end of the season but if not, feel free to get relegated with City. It's a pity that your no signings restriction means you can't bankrupt them as well. Flying start to your reign, let's hope it doesn't last.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

AJ is offline Member of the Month
    Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    This looks hard, real hard. Can't wait to see how it plays out!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Surely adding in those three youngsters will help you.
    They will take the overall quality of the side down but not drastically.

Could be the difference between a 4th placed finish and a 6th place. Should survive both and then expectations should change for the next season.

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Not sure that is going to work. Next season all of the loaned players will return, so the squad will have a massive increase in quality and I suspect the board will still want the title. That said, It's not going to do any harm.

vCash
    Option 2

I'd say there are only 4 maybe 5 Prem standard players in the loanees.
    Season 2 mix in some of the worse ones. The established ones will get unhappy through lack of games and cause issues in the squad.

Maybe

Got anyone with contract ending this season that could be released end of season? Or does that count as selling?

vCash
    I am going to count that as selling. As a spoiler for the next update, I have renewed all the players who have contracts expiring, except for 1 who will not agree to a new deal (I'll keep the suspense on who that is ) I still hope that I won't be at City next season but we'll have to see what fate has instore.

Apologies for the delay in the next update. I am just transferring everything over to a new laptop

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast