Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: The Alphabet Game #3 - April 2017 Data Update

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormandyWept View Post
    Lionel Messi has moved from Manchester United to take over at Spanish champions Espanyol, and I'm the new man in the Old Trafford hotseat, with a ludicrous £657m warchest at my disposal. Let's get going...
    I thought my £453m at Marseille was big!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Newcastle win the League Cup Final and my hunt for an O club begins. Will see the season out...we have also won the league.

Tempted to go back to Bayern for a while as they appear to be managerless again.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Unbelievably, I only need to be at Pohang for a matter of EIGHT games.

After the three league games to end the season, the Korean FA Cup started and we literally romped it.

That being said, it's Q next so I may be here for a while!
    Last edited by ebfatz; 14-08-17 at 06:54 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Been a while since I checked in here but awesome stuff as usual guys

vCash
    FC Ober Rodan it is then!

Nope, me neither. 70k to spend and 1 player in the team! Let's go!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Just had a bit of a CM binge. I was working 12 hour night shifts with days in a local hotel, supporting a project implementation and with nothing to do, but having the CM Gods smiling on me, I got a bit carried away. I’m not sure how far this will go, but there is another implementation in a couple of weeks, so there maybe another binge to follow. Anyway…..

Ards

As everyone knows, it is a pretty crap squad with more than it’s fair share of older players. I embarked on a complete rebuild with 8 players departing and 9 arriving, plus another 3 on loan. I think I might have overdone it as we won the League Cup and still had a 100% record in all competitions !

Key player was Michael West onloan from Ebbsfleet who scored 17 in 20 games.

After I left, Ards went on to a domestic treble and won the top league within 3 years using basically my squad, so I think I did over do it with the signings. I got a very quick chance to move onto one of the newly promoted sides in Sweden.

BK Sport

Newly promoted to Swedish Division 1 (West Svealand), they had just one player, and English M RLC. I had no idea if the transfer window applied and as I had no scouts to start with, I offered a trail to anyone who looked half interesting. I think I must have trailed over 100 free agents and offered deals to 23, plus 3 more on loan. Again, I miss judged the standard and we ended up romping the league

Obviously we needed to complete the play-off to convert that into a title and despite going behind in both legs, it was mission accomplished

Key players were Dan Fitchett a striker released by Sutton, who got 15 goals in 13(4) games and Victor Nikiema a Burkinabe midfielder who rated 7.89 and got 11 goals and 6 assists in 26(1) games.

For some reason I also managed to pick up the Canadian International job and goth thrown straight into the Confederations cup. We managed to beat Chile and Ivory Coast to progress despite going down 2-3 to Germany (we led 1-0 and I had dreams !) Portugal thrashed us 4-1 in the semi, but we recovered to beat Australia 2-1 in the 3rd place play-off. The gods were smiling as this was a massive boost to the International rep.

Not for the last time, the gods were smiling and 49 days after winning the Swedish playoff, I had a new job. And it was a bit of a gimme !

Cowdenbeath
    Crotone and Chacarita had rejected my application and I wasn’t expecting anything from Celtic (god knows what I would have done if offered) Nigel Worthington had been the Cowdenbeith boss, but he buggered off to Finn Harps and that allowed me to take control of “The Blue Brazil”. It was exactly the midpoint of the season and we were nicely placed.

16 games later and we were champions with 2 games to spare

We even had a decent run to the semi final of the Scottish Cup, beating Motherwell on the way, before losing to Hamilton.

Key player was midfielder Matthew Wallace who I got from Montrose in an exchange deal and he scored 11 and 5 assists in 15(1) games. I picked up a 17 year old Irish/American striker, who I think has to be Robbie Kean regen. Shane Farrell is nowhere near as good, but should still have ripped this league. I was slightly disappointed that he only scored 5 times.

The day that we won the title, my next job came available. As I said, the gods were smiling !

Dundee
    A move straight to the SPL was more than I could have hoped for. The only problem was that first we had to win a mini play-off league with Inverness and Dundee Utd. to maintain our top flight status. Both our games were draws, but Inverness beat “The Arabs” to top the league and relegate Dundee.

I was a bit disappointed, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The bonus was that we were in the next season’s Challenge Cup which has it’s final in October and with the Dundee squad was very winnable. After a minor squad overhaul, we duly won it, beating our neighbours in the final

There were no real standout players, this was a good team performance. If I had to pick two, it would be Craig Wighton and James Keatings who were in the squad that I inherited.

The only jobs available were at Espanyol, which I didn’t expect to get, and Estoril which I was disappointed not to land. However I had to wait for only 1 month to get a job which I wasn’t expecting, and again it’s a bit of a gimme for a quick win !

Esbjerg

After not getting Estoril I had applied more in hope than expectation, however it was a club in a good place with exactly half the season played

It was never in doubt and we won with 3 games to spare

We kept the form going in the DBU Pokalen (Danish Cup) where we made it to the final before going down to FC København 1-0.

Striker Robin Söder was a bit of a beast, ending up with 22 goals in 32(1) games, many before I joined. Full back Mads Aaquist was probably the best of my signings.

What next ? I’m not sure how much time I’ll have, so I doubt I’ll complete this challenge. That said, I do have another implementation weekend in a few weeks time, so I might have another binge. The only job in Denmark that would interest me is FC København,but as they have just won the double, I doubt that is going to happen. I think that Esbjerg will be in the Europa League next year, so I will probably hang on for that while I see what develops elsewhere (there is nothing on the horizon for “F”)
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Got to love a CM binge

vCash
    Good going, Kingsley! Been wondering when you'd be getting involved in this.

OP updated
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    £100m spent on new players, but my hopes of conquering on all fronts were dashed by defeat in both domestic Cup Finals. But we had the last laugh, winning the league over a seriously strong Everton team (our FA Cup Final conquerors, in fact) and then edging out Real Madrid in a thrilling Champions League Final to confirm my placing as no 1 manager in the world.

I'd love to manage Napoli next, but they've changed manager this season so it might not be a possibility. I assume now that I'm no 1 I should have my pick of other jobs, but we'll see...

Previous clubs:
    Ards: 8th in Premiership
    Ballyclare: 1st in Premiership
    Cliftonville: 7th in Premiership
    Derry City: 6th in Premier Division
    Esbjerg: 6th in Superliga
    Falkirk: 8th in League 1
    Gamba: promoted from non-league to J2 League
    Huddersfield: 9th in Premier League
    Independiente: 16th in Primera Division opening/5th in closing section
    Jämshög: 14th in Superettan, relegated
    Kayserispor: 13th in Super Lig
    Leganés: 9th in La Liga

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    A great season at NEC, winning a tense title race against Dordrecht and Feyenoord, but I moved on to Osasuna before being able to play the Cup Final and double my Dutch trophy count: NEC duly disappointingly lost 3-1 to Feyenoord in that Final, whilst I ended up keeping Osasuna comfortably in La Liga and already began lining up new players for next season.

Previous clubs:
    Ards: 4th in Premiership
    Ballyclare: 6th in Premiership, Irish Cup winner
    Cliftonville: 10th in Premiership, relegated
    Derry City: 7th in Premier Division
    Esbjerg: 8th in Superliga
    Falkirk: 4th in League One
    Gamba: 12th in J2 League, relegated
    Huddersfield: 15th in Premier League
    Independiente: 19th in Primera Division opening/16th in closing section
    Jämshög: 5th in Division 1SG
    Kayserispor: 5th in Super Lig
    Leganés: 4th in La Liga
    Man Utd: 1st in Premier League, FA Cup winner

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    I'm at a bit of an impasse here.

QPR are doing well in League One in England, Quarteirense are safely mid table in the Portuguese third tier, Queens Park are riding high in the Scottish Premier Division and Queens University are doing well in the Northern Irish Prem.
    Every other Q is either not in a playable league or has been relegated out of a playable one.

May have to jump around in the meantime just to keep the rep up.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Queen of the South dropped out the league Eb? If this didn't use a patch there's no relegation from Scotland's bottom tier so they'd still be about

vCash
    Saturns patch.

They are defo gone. Only went 2 seasons ago as well which makes it all the worse.

vCash
    Greek manager Petros Lemonis left 2nd placed Man City in England for 11th placed La Liga side La Roda.

Good for me!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Just had a bit of a CM binge. I was working 12 hour night shifts with days in a local hotel, supporting a project implementation and with nothing to do, but having the CM Gods smiling on me, I got a bit carried away. I’m not sure how far this will go, but there is another implementation in a couple of weeks, so there maybe another binge to follow. Anyway…..

Ards

As everyone knows, it is a pretty crap squad with more than it’s fair share of older players. I embarked on a complete rebuild with 8 players departing and 9 arriving, plus another 3 on loan. I think I might have overdone it as we won the League Cup and still had a 100% record in all competitions !

Key player was Michael West onloan from Ebbsfleet who scored 17 in 20 games.

After I left, Ards went on to a domestic treble and won the top league within 3 years using basically my squad, so I think I did over do it with the signings. I got a very quick chance to move onto one of the newly promoted sides in Sweden.

BK Sport

Newly promoted to Swedish Division 1 (West Svealand), they had just one player, and English M RLC. I had no idea if the transfer window applied and as I had no scouts to start with, I offered a trail to anyone who looked half interesting. I think I must have trailed over 100 free agents and offered deals to 23, plus 3 more on loan. Again, I miss judged the standard and we ended up romping the league

Obviously we needed to complete the play-off to convert that into a title and despite going behind in both legs, it was mission accomplished

Key players were Dan Fitchett a striker released by Sutton, who got 15 goals in 13(4) games and Victor Nikiema a Burkinabe midfielder who rated 7.89 and got 11 goals and 6 assists in 26(1) games.

For some reason I also managed to pick up the Canadian International job and goth thrown straight into the Confederations cup. We managed to beat Chile and Ivory Coast to progress despite going down 2-3 to Germany (we led 1-0 and I had dreams !) Portugal thrashed us 4-1 in the semi, but we recovered to beat Australia 2-1 in the 3rd place play-off. The gods were smiling as this was a massive boost to the International rep.

Not for the last time, the gods were smiling and 49 days after winning the Swedish playoff, I had a new job. And it was a bit of a gimme !

Cowdenbeath
    Crotone and Chacarita had rejected my application and I wasn’t expecting anything from Celtic (god knows what I would have done if offered) Nigel Worthington had been the Cowdenbeith boss, but he buggered off to Finn Harps and that allowed me to take control of “The Blue Brazil”. It was exactly the midpoint of the season and we were nicely placed.

16 games later and we were champions with 2 games to spare

We even had a decent run to the semi final of the Scottish Cup, beating Motherwell on the way, before losing to Hamilton.

Key player was midfielder Matthew Wallace who I got from Montrose in an exchange deal and he scored 11 and 5 assists in 15(1) games. I picked up a 17 year old Irish/American striker, who I think has to be Robbie Kean regen. Shane Farrell is nowhere near as good, but should still have ripped this league. I was slightly disappointed that he only scored 5 times.

The day that we won the title, my next job came available. As I said, the gods were smiling !

Dundee
    A move straight to the SPL was more than I could have hoped for. The only problem was that first we had to win a mini play-off league with Inverness and Dundee Utd. to maintain our top flight status. Both our games were draws, but Inverness beat “The Arabs” to top the league and relegate Dundee.

I was a bit disappointed, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The bonus was that we were in the next season’s Challenge Cup which has it’s final in October and with the Dundee squad was very winnable. After a minor squad overhaul, we duly won it, beating our neighbours in the final

There were no real standout players, this was a good team performance. If I had to pick two, it would be Craig Wighton and James Keatings who were in the squad that I inherited.

The only jobs available were at Espanyol, which I didn’t expect to get, and Estoril which I was disappointed not to land. However I had to wait for only 1 month to get a job which I wasn’t expecting, and again it’s a bit of a gimme for a quick win !

Esbjerg

After not getting Estoril I had applied more in hope than expectation, however it was a club in a good place with exactly half the season played

It was never in doubt and we won with 3 games to spare

We kept the form going in the DBU Pokalen (Danish Cup) where we made it to the final before going down to FC København 1-0.

Striker Robin Söder was a bit of a beast, ending up with 22 goals in 32(1) games, many before I joined. Full back Mads Aaquist was probably the best of my signings.

What next ? I’m not sure how much time I’ll have, so I doubt I’ll complete this challenge. That said, I do have another implementation weekend in a few weeks time, so I might have another binge. The only job in Denmark that would interest me is FC København,but as they have just won the double, I doubt that is going to happen. I think that Esbjerg will be in the Europa League next year, so I will probably hang on for that while I see what develops elsewhere (there is nothing on the horizon for “F”)
    Tactics for this marathon?

vCash
    East Fife done...

Assuming that doesn't count as E&F together, I had to hang around for another season, gaining promotion to the Championship. I also randomly was offered the Cameroon job following their failure at the African Nations. Guided them to qualification for the World Cup, and was promptly sacked...

Just taken over at Farnborough now, should be a simple league victory - getting jealous of these people getting in to big clubs!!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Gilbotron For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Oh Ober do dah we love you...

Lets move onto P!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

AMC

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031