Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: The Alphabet Game #3 - April 2017 Data Update

vCash
    Come on you Queens!

Stupidly fired it up last night for a quick 10 minutes. I might have been drunk. Might. Anyhoo, let's not get into who did what to whom and embrace the fact that I appear to be managing 1860 Munchen rather than, say, Worthing...or even West Ham, who both appear to have sacked their managers.

Cock.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash

vCash
    Well I didn't even have to wait for Queens.
    Three weeks after they appeared on the Northern Ireland list. A French side fired their long serving manager without him even appearing.

And so, after 2 years and 5 months, a massive 904 days after winning the Korean Cup with Pohang, I finally have my Q.
    It's not a great one but after waiting so long, I'd have taken anyone!!

They are 14th in the French National. One place above the relegation places and thats only on goal difference.
    There is tantalisingly one game left so I just need to match the result of the side below me, Calais.
    Do that and I can build for completing Q.
    Fail to do so and I will be sacked before I've started.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    trunks - you crack me up!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    UPDATE:

Calais failed to win, losing 3-0, so it didn't really matter what we did, but there were obviously people out to impress me as we romped to a 4-0 win.

I can now have an actual look at the squad over the summer and see what I can do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    A season with 1860 led to them winning the Bundesliga...the fans went mental. Still no W jobs so carried on for another season. Top by 1 point in December, still in the CL and then...

Bottom of the league. By quite a few points. It's Christmas. They have 9 points. So am going to try and save them, although I'd rather let them fall and promote next season. Got 20m to spend in the up and coming window.

Oh Mark...22 clubs now. Not 21

11. The Following User Says Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Im back in the land of the living after another weekend of work and another binge session to keep me sane. We left off the adventure having just won the Danish 1st Division with Esbjerg and I was looking for an F job after coming runners up in the DBU Pokalen. I am also the manager of Canada although it is almost a year until the World Cup qualifiers start.

I thought that F might be an easy letter to find as there has to be lots of "FC xxxx clubs. If there are, they didnt make their managers job available. I had no chance of FC Bayern and was disappointed not to get offered Frontale in Japan, so Esbjerg charged to the top of the Danish Superliga and battled past KF Tirana in the Europa League with Imotski up next, when I got the call and it was much closer to home than I had expected.

FC Kbenhavn

Having won the double last season, I thought this was a no chance option, but Stle Solbakken decided to bugger off to Trabzonspor, leaving the door open for me to pick up a far from impossible title contender.

FC Kbenhavn had a massive 46 man squad, but it was mainly central defenders (11 of them !) with central midfield a virtual desert.I did have a whopping 2.8m to spend and I started by releasing 12 players on day one. We struggled through to new year when another 9 departed (generating 5m) and 11 came in for an outlay of just over 1m. The squad had a much better balance and we completely outclassed every other team in Denmark

We added the DBU Pokalen and made the final of the Europa League where we were overpowered by Sevilla. Key player was veteran striker Nicklas Pedersen who I had initially dismissed, but just kept on scoring and couldnt be dropped. He ened up with 20 goals and 10 assists.

I did hope that this might be my breakthrough to the big time, but when the first jobs to come up were Grimsby, which I was offered and Greuther Frth which I was not offered, I decided to take the next one which was a return to Argentina

Godoy Cruz

Why do I get rejected by a second tier German side, but get offered a job by a team who have won 2 and were runners up once in the last 5 titles in Argentina ? The first 11 looked to be the best that I had so far, but there was a big problem in goal, and the squad tailed off after that first 11, so again it was a chance to raid the transfer market and another slaying of all opposition.

There were no standouts in the squad, so Ill give Key player to Esteban Andrada a goalkeeper who I picked up for 250k from All Boys and he returned a 7.88 average rating.

I was also left with a chance to walk into an H job even before the Argentine league season was over

Hartlepool

OK, so it may not be a dream job, but this is about wining trophies and Hartlepool offered a decent opportunity to land one quickly, and had a backup plan for the EFL Trophy.

I thought that once we got to the transfer window, I should be able to give Blackpool a good challenge, however a look at the financed showed us to be 400k in debt, so it would be loans and free agents to bolster the squad. What I had not anticipated was the complete capitulation by Blackpool. Having been unbeaten when I joined, they lost 6 of their next 9 league games and we were top by the first game in January. After that it was a when, not an if

The title was won when Exeter lost on the eve of the FA Trophy final where we beat Walsall. The FA Cup saw us beat Fulham away before going out to Spurs away. Those 2 games cleared the debt, but not in time for me to be able to spend any cash.

Key player Ill give to Robbie Muirhead. Im slightly biased as he is a former Thistle player. Ghanaian striker Kwesi Appia probably deserves a mention for his 20 goals.

The only I job in England is Ipswich and they had just changed manager. There was not much to be gained from hanging around, so I decided to resign and give myself the best chance of getting a tricky letter. I could concentrate on my Canada job where we had made a start to the final stage of World Cup qualification.

It took a couple of months, but the CM gods were being kind and gaveme the chance to return to top flight management.

IFK Gteborg

The squad was not bad, slightly light-weight in defence, but much better than the league status would suggest

Even so, it is not a long season and 14 points might be quite a bit to recover. I hoped for a good cup run, but I was prepared for an 18 month project to land a trophy. That appeared more likely when it turns out that the Swedish Cup runs across league seasons and the final would not be for almost a year.

The transfer window opened and that allowed me to rebuild the squad the way I wanted it. Slowly but surely we started to close the gap on Hcken. It looked to be going to the wire as we took over top spot with 3 games to play. We then gave it away by losing at home to relegated Helsingborg (bloody typical) in the penultimate game. The final round of games and we went to Malm FF where we scored twice in the first half to secure the 3 points and we watched as Hcken threw away the title by getting beaten by Helsingborg. I have done something that is pleasing those Gods of CM.

Key player goes to striker Christoffer Nyman, a free signing, who bagged 11 goals in his 14 games.

20 days later, which included Canada qualifying for the World Cup finals, I had a new job and there was the chance of an instant success

Juventude

One game of the regular season to play and we couldnt be better placed

Unfortunately the squad was in a total mess and it wasnt helped by star striker Jean Carlos do Nascimento Teixeira (now known as Tricksy) being suspended. The best striker available had finishing of 8 and the only right back was a 36 year old who was knackered. The transfer window was closed, but I happen to know that there is a loophole for loan signings in Brazil. I got a striker and a defensive midfielder who could cover at right back. It was the best I could do.

We smashed 4 past So Paulo, ending their play-off hopes. Playoff semi final was against Vila Nova and we gave them a thrashing in the first leg. It should have been all over, except that our keeper let in the only 2 shots that were on target, so instead of a stroll to the final, we had to defend a 3-2 lead. Unfortunately we suffered a bad day at the office and went down 3-1. I had a rebuilding job to do before the Campeonato Gacho starts in 2 months time.

No fewer than 25 players were allowed to leave (many of them were lads passed up from the academy) and 18 arrived, including a Nigerian international defender. I know from experience that the key to Brazil is how good your second string team is. There are so many fixtures that you need a large squad who are all 1st team ready. It quite quickly turned into a 3 horse race between the Srie A sides for the title, but we were quite literally unbeatable. The Campeonato Gacho was secured with a game to spare.

No question about who was the key player. Tricksy bagged 19 goals in his 15 league games, and another 6 in his 6 cup games.

Again, there was nothing to keep me in Brazil where there are no K jobs, so I re-signed to concentrate on Canada in the World Cup finals.

It looked a tricky group, but narrow wins over Chile (3-2) and Croatia (1-0) ment that we went into the France game knowing that both teams had qualified. France won 1-0 (no disgrace there), so we were paired wth Serbia. All it needed was a single goal from star striker Cyle Larin (34 in 62 internationals) to book us a place in the quarter finals. That was as far as we could go. Led by a 38 year old Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal were just too strong and they progressed 2-1. Not a bad effort. Brazil beat Italy in the final.

Back to the main job and the hunt for a K job. I turned down an approach from Kidderminster as I was sure I could do better, but then regretted it as Kaiserslautern, Karlovac and Kuban turned me down. I had one eye on developments at Kilmarnock when I did get an offer, from Belgium.

Kortrijk

First thing to do was to give up on Canada. 2 years of friendlies does nothing for me, but I would like to get back for the next World Cup, preferably with a non-english speaking nation from a playable league (Sweden would be perfect as Qviding are the only non-engish speaking Q club).

Kortijk had only just survived relegation last season, but had been 6th the previous year. I did have something to work with, although being realistic, my best chance would be a lucky run in the cup. The bank balance was around 4m in the red, so it was back to the loans, free agents and exchanges to build the squad. I managed to bring in 6 permanent and 8 loan players before the window closed. Another 3 permanent and 1 loanee arrived in January to replace the 22 players who departed. It takes my total to 137 purchased and 156 sold in the 11 clubs managed.

We were competitive at the sharp end and we did spend several weeks in the top spot. This is a tough league for a smaller club and we didnt quite cut it against the big boys. That said, we did end up second, 5 points behind surprise winners Waasland-Beveren who ended the Club Brugge domination of the league.

The Coupe de Belgique was a different story. Genk (4-2) and Cercle Brugge (1-0) brought up a quarter final with Anderlecht, away. It was our best performance of the season, going 4-0 up in the first half and holding out for a 4-1 win. The reward was 2 legs against second tier Lommel Utd for a place in the final. 5-0 at home and 1-0 away was just too easy. OHL beat Roeselare in the other semi. It was hardly a contest as we were far superior in every department.

I want to give 24 goal striker Nathan Kabasele the key player award, but quite frankly he missed too many games injured or suspended and was always moaning about playing for a bigger club. Instead, it will go to left winger Hannes Van der Bruggen who bagged 5 goals and 6 assists, but was superbly consistent and never put in a bad performance.

What next ? Im hooked, so I will play on, but it might be at a slower rate. Ive already landed an interesting L job, (a club which I have never heard of) which Ill complete before the next update.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Outstanding stuff Kingsley!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well in Kingsley.

What's the formation of choice?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trunky View Post
    Well in Kingsley.

What's the formation of choice?
    4-4-2, 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-1-1 depending on the players available. I have used some 3 defender formations if I don't have available full backs, but I like a 4 man defence.

vCash
    Les Herbiers

I had been keeping a close eye on developments at Lazio, but as it happens, they sacked their manager a month before Kortijk won the cup. It’s a shame as I’d fancy my chances in Serie B after their relegation.

The job I did get came up quite quickly. I had alredy turned down the chance to takeover at German third tier Luneburg and so a chance to move to a top flight (French Ligue 1) with 13.5m to spend looked too good to resist. I didn’t check that the stadium held 3,000 and the club had battled up through the leagues. They had finished 17th last season, but won the league cup the previous year when they got promoted. The squad I inherited had a reasonable 1st 11 (baring the keepers) but lacked depth and a star player. Even with that, I though that one of the cups (The French have 2) would be the best bet.

Jamacan veteran keeper Andre Blake resolved the keeping issue, and he was one of 10 arrivals in the summer, followed by 4 more, including Andreas Cornelius in January. They performed magnificently and held their own with the big boys. Unfortunately, they were no match for Brest who in the league were unbeatable. Now Brest is a club I’d like to get hold of (sorry). They certainly were big up top (sorry) and not restricted by cups (sorry). I tink I’ve now milked this (sorry) as far as I can.

Without Brest, we got to the semi final of the Coupe de la Ligue where we met Lyon. A pulsating game ended 2-2 so we had extra time that went to penalties at 3-3. Sadly it all went wrong. We missed all 4 of our spot kicks and Lyon progressed to the final.

In the Coupe de France semi final, we again went to extra time, against Marseille, when it was 1-1 after 90 minutes. Jean-Baptiste Binder bagged his second of the game to send us through to face Monaco.

The final was a game we dominated and led thanks to a Moses Dyer freekick. Against the run of play Monaco equalised with 20 to play and so we looked to be heading to extra time again. One last chance. Ahameda shoots, Areola fumbles, Dyer pounces. Les Herbiers win the cup !

I’m going to award joint key players. Firstly Gatan Petrucci as I had initially dismissed him as a striker, but he proved to be the only forward that had any idea about how to score. His total of 17 from 26 starts is not brilliant, but it is double that of all the other strikers (including Cornelius) put together. The second is Moses Dyer and not just because of the Kiwi’s goals in the cup final. The former Melbourne City midfielder was a free signing and he was Mr. Consistency. His free kicks were a particular threat and he ended up with 16 goals and 5 assists.

In addition to Les Herbiers, I’ve also got myself back in the international scene with Austria. I can’t say I’m thrilled, they are workman like, but without any flair. When Andreas Weimann is your best option in attack (1 goal in 30 caps) you know you have a problem. Still, the World Cup qualifiers look quite easy, with Russia the main threat, so I’ll see what happens.

There is no sign of any “M” jobs, but as my reputation is soaring, upto 245th in the world (6th in France), I’m happy to bide my time as Les Herbiers should have Champions League qualifiers next season and the board have agreed to an expansion of the ground. I think I need to hold out for a big job this time.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I hope that ground expansion hasn't bust your finances

vCash
    Well, things went very well at Worms. In the first season we stayed up and I made some money. Wisely I held onto a lot of it with just a new keeper purchased. Started the new season off well. Or so I thought. An ill advised dispute with a couple of players, the fans joined in and I was sacked! SACKED! ME!!

To make up for this disappointment I went back across the pond and took over at Columbus where we won the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. Imagine the size of the crowd for the open bus parade! Still no W jobs to get fired over so continued with Columbus, this time winning the league and taking them into the play off semi finals.

And then...

A reprieve!

No cash. Bottom of the Championship table. Lots of injuries but plenty of time to sort them out. Screw you Worms! Happy to see you have plummeted since my sacking. Losers.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Don't pick any fights ! Be nice to your West Brom players

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    How do you run the leagues on this challenge? Are they all set as background apart from the one you are managing in? I rarely play with more than one league loaded

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

vCash
    I have all in foreground

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    saturn patch will auto switch leagues as well when you get a new job so whatever was the selected league before you move abroad gets put in the background.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I started this last night but I am not expecting to get very far...........don't think I have ever played CM longer than 5 seasons!!

vCash
    Season 15 - E

Been a while since my last update where I had finished 4th in the Danish second flight. The following season saw Egedal finish 7th as I had an overhaul of the squad following a few players contracts coming to an end. Unfortunately, the new faces that came in struggled to adapt to the level and we ended up finishing 7th with a very poor 55 goals conceded in 30 games!

Things didn't improve much the following year and after 15 games where we won just 4 matches, I was sacked! Things had been difficult at Egedal with just a 3,000 stadium and barely any money coming in. I also hated the long Winter breaks from November until March! We'd also struggled since getting promoted via 3rd place from the third tier and perhaps it was no surprise in the end.

Trouble is, you'd think my reputation would have gone up since I actually got a promotion whilst in Denmark but nope. I'm now 731st in the world ranking. I tried my best to apply for E jobs as they became available, going for vacant spots at Eskisehirspor, Elche and Estoril in the seven months that followed before I was offered a job from nowhere which I accepted to work on my reputation in the meantime - Ayr United who had just finished 7th in the Scottish top flight.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Forget Egedal mate, get working on that rep with Ayr and get a decent E

vCash
    No wonder they came to me instead of the other way around

The Alphabet Game #3

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    You must be cheap !

vCash
    Monaco

Finally I land one of the big boys and Id like to think that I was in part the creator of the vacancy. Les Herbiers win in the Coupe de France left Monaco without a trophy and that was too much for the ambitions chairman. 24 hours after the final league game, Massimilliano Alegri was sacked and the door was open for me to walk in.

And what a difference. Not so much in the transfer kitty, the 18m was about the same as Les Herbiers, but the wages I could offer brought a whole new class of player in budget. And I needed it. The squad had some real stars. Arola, Jemerson, Mbapp and Saint-Maximin are all world class. I also had a 33 year old Ilkay Gndogan who would be joined by Azpilicueta when the transfer window opened. Gndogan and Azpilicueta may be past their best and no longer able to last 90 minutes, but they were both special options to pull from the bench.

The problem was that the quality went off a cliff once you got past the first 11 and as I was looking to compete on 4 fronts (league, 2 cups and Europa Cup) I needed a decent squad. One thing I learned from Les Herbiers was that the second half is brutal and the squad is only as good as the 2nd 11. I brought in 16 new faces during the summer and other in January, along with one on loan. It was an invincible squad, and the league was won without losing a game. The one defeat came on the last day of the season, at home to bottom club Nmes. Bloody typical.

Coupe de la Ligue was also won. We missed all the big names and ended up playing Nice in the final which we won 1-0

In the Coupe de France, we needed extra time to get past Marseille. After that, Montpellier and Sedan were easy and so it was Lyon in the final. It was a game of few chances, although we dominated most statistics. At 0-0 the game turned on 77 minutes when Nicholas Charlton was sent off and that gave Lyon the edge. They got the winner in extra time and so it would not be a clean sweep of trophies.

Europa League was another adventure starting with former club IFK Gteborg. We beat them, along with H.Tel-Aviv, Olympiacos, Krylja Sovetov, 1.FC Kln (the only goal came in the 3rd minute of the first leg !) and Napoli, to set up a final with Roma. An early goal set us up for a 3-0 rout and we had a European trophy. My first

Im not going to give key player to Kylian Mbapp. Yes he did get 20 goals, but I expected more from such a quality striker. Instead, it goes to my personal record signing and the 7.5m paid to PSG for Nadir Ben Khalifa was repaid many times over. The midfielder bagged 15 goals and 4 assists and was the first name on the team sheet.

Austrias qualification is progressing with 5 straight wins so far. Now that I have sorted the tactics and realised that they dont have any natural wingers, Andreas Weimann has turned goal machine. 1 from 30 when I took over is now 7 from 36 !

Nmight be a bit of a problem. There are some class clubs, but there are issues. Nice, Niort and Nantes would all have to beat my Monaco, which could be a problem. Niort in Ligue 2 might be possible, but they have just changed their manager. Ashley sacks whoever is at Newcastle every time they concede a throw in and Napoli have just won Serie A. I dont want to step down from this level having just got here, but Im running out of top level options, although nothing is currently available.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Can't believe you didn't win that French Cup

Awesome season mate, hope a decent N job comes up soon for you.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Can't believe you didn't win that French Cup

Awesome season mate, hope a decent N job comes up soon for you.
    I know. pissed me off and the names that I called Nicholas Charlton are not appropriate for this site.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post: