Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536 LastLast

Thread: The Alphabet Game #3 - April 2017 Data Update

vCash
    A complete remodel of the squad with experienced free transfers and a couple of decent frees from a youth search saw us romp to the title.
    N'Golo Kante's 35 year old regen being one of the best of them.

We are in the Coupe de France Final after amazingly (considering it's 8 rounds to get to the Final) not facing a team in a division above us for the whole run.
    There's no R available so looks as though I will be around to try for the Double.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Novo Hamburgo

It wouldn’t have been my first choice of next destination, but as I said, there were problems with any of the big “N” clubs in Europe, and while I am dropping down to Série B, I think there is a good chance of a quick title and a return to Europe for “O”. I already know that I have a quality left back as Diego Júnior Andrade da Silva has been on loan at Monaco for the last season and was the first choice, averaging 7.67.

The rest of the squad was OK for a first team (Again, no decent keeper. This is becoming routine), but the main thing we need is numbers as the Brazilian league program is brutal. The good thing is that you only have to be in the top 4 to qualify for the championship playoffs and the window for loans is open right up to the final kickoff ! I was given £1.9m to spend, which isn’t much, but by using exchange deals and generating another £1.5m in player sales, I managed to bring in 15 players, plus another 5 on loan. I had the squad I needed.

After a slow start, we went on an 11 game winning run and after a slight wobble just before getting the qualification confirmed, we made the top 4 with some ease. That gave me time to renegotiate a couple of the loans so that the players didn’t bugger off just before the final, and I added a couple more, just in case.

The semi final first leg was a frustrating affair. We scored early and battered their goal without adding to the score. I just hoped that I wouldn’t rue missed chances when we visited Cruziero. Typically, they scored in the first half, then shut up shop. It looked like going to extra time, but with 12 minutes to go, captain Dorival Moraes, played a one-two to get behind the defence and give us a crucial away goal. That opened up the game and Eduardo Hebling de Aguiar added a second, followed by a third from Amuari Soares da Silva. We had made the final.

We were away for the first leg. Twice Figuerenses took the lead and twice we levelled (Soares da Silva and Moraes again). With home advantage, 2 away goals and the higher league position, we held all the aces for the second leg. It was still 0-0 at half time, but we did have a man advantage for the second half. 3 goals in 6 minutes ended the contest. Mohamed Mohamed got 2 and Luis Eduardo da Silva the other. The icing on the cake was an injury time penalty converted by Soares da Silva. Novo Hamburgo were Série B champions and I can move onto “O”.

2 players deserve special mention. Firstly a Qatari international midfielder that I inherited. Mohammed Mohammed (so good they named him twice) was the top scorer with 18 and a further 4 assists.None of them were free kicks or penalties. Secondly my captain Dorival Moraes who was a £120k purchase from former club Juventude (I got him as a bosman there). He led by example and chipped in with a few important ones amongst his 7 goals. He also had 14 assists and 6 MoM performances, starting 30 of the 31 games.

There are already 3 jobs that might be interesting if they come available.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hello Norway, I'm back!

Why go back? Well after I left, they were relegation from the first division so hopefully that means a better chance of me winning the second division title this time instead of getting promoted via 3rd place. Not much has changed in the squad, 6 players have left and 0 have come in so I carry on from where I left off!

I leave Ayr 7th in the top flight after 15 games btw - They were just starting to get into some form. Wouldn't have liked to stay there in the long haul though with the debt now at £21M!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash

vCash
    Started off with Ards. Nearly blew it at the end but held on for the title. I brought in a couple of youth players to protect my ageing squads legs! I haven't really thought about staying with Ards and haven't prepared for next season so hopefully I'll be off soon......

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PilgrimPete For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Had no intention of staying with Ards for another season. Was offered the job at Bergantinos but turned it down with concerns about the end of season play offs. So applied for a job at a newly promoted team and......

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PilgrimPete For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mark .... Better luck this time. Just make sure you don't get promoted if you're not going to win the league

PP .... welcome to the club. Big ask at Buckie

vCash
    The three jobs I was watching were OHL (Belgium), Osmanlispor (Turkey) and Oostende (Belgium) and all 3 had the same problem. They were all close to the relegation zone in their top flights, so very little chance of winning the league with half the season gone. When I applied, they were all in their domestic cups, but were knocked out before I got the offer. I did consider Osmanlispor who did at least offer a budget for new players, but at the end of the day, I wasn’t quite ready to settle for an 18 month minimum stay. I was sure something better would come up, but if it didn’t, there would be other offers for a title next year. As it happened something better did turn up.

Olympiacos

The job wasn’t on my radar, but unexpectedly, Roberto Mancini buggered off to Torino to leave the job vacant. I didn’t know if my reputation was still strong enough, but the offer came through and I had £38.5m available to spend and a 6 point lead in the league.

With the exception of the keepers, the squad didn’t need much doing to it, although I improved the squad enormously by releasing a shed load of useless spotty kids. The biggest problem was that the Greek national keeper, Stefanos Kapino, had agreed a transfer to Zenit and Mancini had left me with just 2 of the most useless spotty kids imaginable. I had little time to work with, so I went straight back to former club Monaco where I had brought in a Greek keeper as cover for Areola. I knew he was good and not getting a game, so I submitted a cheeky bid and after a bit of negotiation I landed Antonis Stergiakis for £2m. The rest of the purchases were tweaks, my fave Brazilian left back followed me from Novo Hamburgo and I went back to Les Herbiers for a defender.

In the end it was a breeze, although there was a scare as Asteras Tripolis closed to within a point with us having a game in hand. The title was sealed with 4 games to spare. And the only question left was could we complete the double for the second year running.

The answer to the double was no. Levadiakos, and Sparti were not a problem and we were 3-0 up on AOK Kerkyra from the first leg of the semi final when I was offered a “P” job that I couldn’t refuse.

Key player was Croatian striker Antonio Stefanovic who bagged 4 in my first game and finished the season with 27 from 36 starts.

Porto

Mathematically we were out of the title chase for this year, but with 5 games to play, 3rd place and Champion’s League football was a realistic goal. This was more about building a team for next year and I had £18.75m to spend

We finished 4th and will need to settle for Europa League, but only due to a monumental cock-up by yours truly. I inherited just 1 keeper. No back up and nothing in the B team. Just the Brazilian veteran Alisson who was way past his best and had a habit of collecting red cards throughout his career. There was nothing I could do about it until the summer, but I still transfer listed him and accepted offers from VfB Stuttgart and Shanghai Shenhua. He opted for Shanghai and I confirmed ….. BIG MISTAKE !

I had assumed it would go through on the transfer window, but China has no window and so I was left without a keeper for the final 3 games. Striker Koman Andric stood in, but he was no keeper and the season fizzled out. Time to start the rebuild, beginning with a proper keeper.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash

When I saw the two teams I was gonna say it doesn't get much better than that, and that may be the case after a summer rebuild with Porto but that's fantastic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post

When I saw the two teams I was gonna say it doesn't get much better than that, and that may be the case after a summer rebuild with Porto but that's fantastic
    The look of disbelief when I selected the team for the next match and couldn't find Alisson in the squad, then of horror when it sunk in what I had done. Once again, there may have been a few expletives not suitable for this forum.

vCash
    You should set up a swear jar for charity when you play this mate.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Change your name back to "The Eejit".

Nice couple of jobs there. I don't see next season being too much of a struggle, as long as you have a keeper available.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    A little late, but I've decided to see how far I can get before the start of the next alphabet game. I'd never managed in Northern Ireland before and when I saw the state of the Ards squad, I remembered why. With no funds available to improve the side, I made use of the loan market and we were ready to go.

For the League Cup, our group of five teams mixed us with Premiership clubs Linfield and Glentoran, as well as lower league clubs Lisburn Distillery and city rivals Bangor. With only two progressing to the quarter-finals, we would have to overcome one of the big boys. An easy 4-0 win at Distillery was just what we needed ahead of the visit of Glentoran. Incredibly, the same scoreline followed and it wasn't in Glentoran's favour. We were now in a great position to qualify but against Bangor, we found ourselves 2-0 down at the interval. Substitute Gary Liggett came off the bench to score a brace which helped us to a point, which almost ensured qualification for the next round. We made absolutely sure by beating arguably the best team in the country and we topped our group with ten points out of twelve.

We would have to face Linfield at home once more and I was expecting another close one. After we had an early strike ruled out for offside, I thought it was going to be one of those days but then Sammy Clingan stupidly earnt himself an early bath with a two-footed tackle. There was only going to be one winner after that as Medlock and Taylor scored the goals. We then beat Portadown at home in the semis, also 2-0 and Crusaders would be our final opponents. They may have been the Premiership side but you wouldn't have guessed it on the day.

That fantastic display means I am now free to look for a B club but nothing is immediately available. A few are insecure to some degree, including Belenenses but I'm never going to get that one. Italian third tier side Bassano looks interesting, while I'll be keeping an eye on jobs in Sweden, Turkey and Poland. Until then, I'll carry on trying to build my reputation up and thankfully, we are well-positioned in the league.

Since an opening day defeat against Ballinamallard, we haven't looked back. The highlight so far has been the 5-1 thrashing of promotion rivals Warrenpoint.

Loan Signings
    Spoiler!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    To everyone in this thread, how do you find the jobs abroad issue now? Do you think it's still a bit too difficult to get jobs or is it just about right? From reading through the thread it seems a few find it still a bit difficult to get jobs.

vCash
    My adventure at Buckie Thistle was relatively trouble free. This guy was my star performer who was fantastic after accepting the maximum wage I could offer of £200 per week.

I'll see if I can find a C job before the end of the season. I'd rather stick to what I know and get to the lower leagues of England...boring I know

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PilgrimPete For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    By late January, the league title looked like a foregone conclusion with Ards miles ahead of the rest. Out of the blue, Ballinamallard had sacked their gaffer for their “poor league position”. A bit harsh when they were second only to the mighty Ards at the time! I was offered the job and I accepted. Iit was tempting to dismantle the Ards squad before I left to make catching them a real possibility but I have too much dignity. The Ballinamallard chairman had patience of 2, so I would have to hit the ground running.

We had slipped to third by the time of my appointment but in my first match, we beat Warrenpoint 2-0 away to go back above them into second. It was a tense battle with them for the runners-up and playoff spot but we sealed it in our penultimate match with a tense victory against them. We were 1-0 down with less than 20 minutes left and defeat would have moved them ahead of us but we scored three late goals. This meant a two-legged affair against Glentoran, who had finished second from bottom in the Premiership. Despite taking a 2-1 lead to their place, they came back to win 2-0 on the night and 3-2 on aggregate, and I would have to settle for another season in the second tier.

With many of the squad out of contract or unhappy, it looked like a big summer rebuilding job. The club also had around £200k of debt, so I arranged for the sales of quite a few players to get Ballinamallard back in the black. A few days before they could go through, I would be moving on. A few newly-promoted Spanish third tier clubs needed a manager and three of them began with B. Barco decided to take a chance on me. Being in Spain should help me to build up my world reputation much more than in Northern Ireland, even though it looks like a bigger challenge in the short term. Once some pre-arranged transfers have gone through, we will have just three players, although there is some cash available. This should be fun.
    Last edited by CMAdventurer; 10-09-17 at 10:27 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    I am about halfway through my second season with the mighty Buckie Thistle. Still no luck in finding a 'C'job but I haven't seen that many come available (Corinithians didn't want me!). Then I applied for the Coventry job who were bottom of league 2. Thought I would be nailed on to get it but they gave it to Mark Albrighton who left Sutton to take over.

Buckie are handily placed in League 1 so I'm probably going to stick it out and take them into the Championship with my squad of youth players. They won't go any further with me (not with a maximum wage of £200 per week!!).

29. The Following User Says Thank You to PilgrimPete For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Hopefully a C job will be along soon mate, interesting decision to move B jobs as well CMA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by saturn View Post
    To everyone in this thread, how do you find the jobs abroad issue now? Do you think it's still a bit too difficult to get jobs or is it just about right? From reading through the thread it seems a few find it still a bit difficult to get jobs.
    I think it's perfect in my opinion, saturn

Where some have had problems, I think that's only down to two reasons. Either their reputation hasn't built up enough yet to land the jobs they're after OR it's just waiting for a rare letter to come up. I.e. Q or V or something like that.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    saturn - Funny you should say that. It's taken me longer than I thought it would to find an R.

My previous club did hit my rep a little but I missed out on 7 R jobs before I have now landed in Japan.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I managed to get Buckie Thistle promoted to the Scottish Championship but with my maximum wage still at £200 and a squad of mainly youth players I fear the worst.

Near the end of the season struggling League 2 side Colchester sacked their manager but they didn't want me. Worried I could have to stay at Buckie I applied for the Stockport and Torquay jobs who were coming up from the National League. Rejected again...this is like a Saturday night out (before I met the missus - and how lucky I am (just in case she reads this!)). Applied for the Guiseley job (National League) and Bohemians in Ireland to build my rep up.

I'm off to Guiseley.....

Just a comment on applying for/ease of getting jobs...A week after I accepted the Guiseley job, the Cheltenham job became available (same division). I applied but didn't get it. So to me there seems no guarantee you will get a certain level of job regardless of your rep etc.
    Last edited by PilgrimPete; 11-09-17 at 11:31 PM.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PilgrimPete For This Useful Post:

vCash
    West Brom done...of course there are thousands of X clubs...all queuing up to use me as their manager.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nicely done, trunky! Be sure to keep your rep up in the meantime. If Xanthi's the job you're after, a job in Greece might help.

vCash
    Have had a Pohang moment.

I took on Reysol at seasons end but before the Emperors Cup began.

Just 5 games later

Makes up for the wait for Q. Hopefully won't have a wait for S!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CMAdventurer View Post
    Nicely done, trunky! Be sure to keep your rep up in the meantime. If Xanthi's the job you're after, a job in Greece might help.
    I've checked the X job front...

1 team in the game is playable at the moment. In Spain. Xerez B. The main team are non-league. So I have them to wait for. Could be a long time...especially as 2 other X teams went lower league in the last season. The good news is they have been relegated into the Segunda B. Might be an opening. I already have done another season with West Brom, 3rd in the league but out of the cups. The really annoying thing is their manager only got the job in September. I didn't check!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post: