Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738 LastLast

Thread: The Alphabet Game #3 - April 2017 Data Update

vCash
    Have I missed your C getting ticked, PilgrimPete? Just went to update the OP for you but no C is listed.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Well done trunky. I was avoiding Spanish lower divisions when I was playing because it did n't always list any wins but if it's there, congrats.
    2069 finishing year. I think I was on course to finish around that time before it crashed.

vCash
    I'll post my "C" screenshot when I get home later...Missus is working and the kids will have to go to bed at 6 tonight so I can have plenty of CM and beer time.

My E job is proving a bit trickier than I thought. I applied for a couple of jobs at the lower leagues in Greece and Germany (Eginiakos and Erfurt) and thought I was nailed on for them but didn't get them..I have won four league titles in my career to date (admittedly at lower English/Scottish leagues) and can't see there will be many teams lower down the leagues that will want me...

I think I should have moved around the world a bit more rather than stay in the UK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Well done trunky. I was avoiding Spanish lower divisions when I was playing because it did n't always list any wins but if it's there, congrats.
    2069 finishing year. I think I was on course to finish around that time before it crashed.
    I noticed that. 4 teams promoted, only 1 has winners in their history. Real Madrid, in my league, promoted but got nothing.

vCash
    I've got a C job. Unfortunately it's a national team but at least it's a potential rep booster. Canada have called on me in a late bid to qualify for the World Cup and we have it all to do.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash

2017-18: Berwick and Canada

My Canada reign started with an easy 3-0 victory against bottom side Trinidad & Tobago, before we travelled to Jamaica to face one of our main rivals. This was more hard-fought but a double from Cyle Larin brought us right back into contention. We earned another three points against Costa Rica, this time from behind and suddenly we were third with two to play. The catch was that our remaining fixtures were away to Mexico and the USA. The Mexico match was dire and finished goalless. Normally it would be a good result for Canada but it dropped us back below Jamaica on goal difference. We had to beat already-qualified USA and hope for a favour from elsewhere. It started so well, with us storming into a 2-0 lead inside 11 minutes. Then it all went wrong, with the hosts storming ahead before half time. A late fourth finished us and there would be no fairy tale qualification for Canada. To add insult to injury, Mexico conceded a last minute equaliser against Trinidad & Tobago, meaning that had we held on for victory, we would have qualified at their expense.

Having previously been delighted with my performance as manager (even before I'd played a match), the Canadian FA told me that they were unsatisfied. Did they really expect me to qualify from the position I inherited. I found my name on the job information screen for a while but it eventually disappeared. I don't expect to stay with Canada for too much longer.

Things were going well with Berwick. We made it to the Third Round of the Europa League, beating Albanian side Laci and Belgians Lokeren along the way. Austria Vienna were our opponents and at their place, they edged it 2-1 to leave the tie on a knife edge. Matthew Lund gave us the lead in the return leg and a 1-0 win would have taken us through on away goals. Sadly, our opponents had other idea and scored with their only shot of the game to condemn us to a heartbreaking exit. Raith Rovers ended our participation in the Challenge Cup at the semi-final stage, while our League Cup campaign fell at the first hurdle against Premiership Hamilton. In the league, we barely put a foot wrong.

I had bolstered the squad in the summer with numerous signings. Some were names I'd heard of before, including Tommy Lee, Grant Hall and Nicky Featherstone. The best performer was this guy, though.

No foreign team wanted my services, so my aim was to get to the SPL as quickly as possible. I felt confident of landing Hibs job, who were top of the Championship, but I was overlooked. I soon got a move to the SPL, though.

Unfortunately, their situation is pretty dire but at worst I'll end up in the same league as Berwick are heading for next season.

Rep in Scotland: 9th
    World rep: 2731st

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Tall order to pull that back. I'm sure you'll give it a good go though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Season 18 - F

With no 'F' jobs available following my second division title victory, I opted to remain at Egedal to try and continue the good work I'd started since returning to Norway. 9 players arrived, 8 on a freebie and 1 on loan as the squad was cut down by 13 players heading out, 160K being raised in the process. Thankfully, a cash injection of 419K from the board also took us out of debt so all was looking rosy off the pitch.

It wasn't going too badly on the pitch either. We were beaten at the second attempt in the DBU Pokalen competition but settled in nicely in the return to 1st Division football. After 12 games, we were 3rd and just a point behind the top two.

I had to be patient and keep looking around for jobs. I failed to get one in Brazil when Fluminense came up which wasn't really a surprise. But when this one came up, I had genuine hopes of getting offered it and have to admit that I did a celebratory air punch when it came in!

At long last, I'd gotten myself a reasonable job and hopefully this is the point where I can now improve my reputation well enough to get any job when I want one! I take over Fulham with a jaw dropping 21M in the bank and in 7th place in the Championship, 7 points off the top. I see no reason why I can't get promotion to the top flight and although I planned not to make any signings after inheriting a 41 man squad, I noticed that I had only one left-back and two left wingers so will try to add 2 defenders and 1 midfielder when the transfer window opens in January. I also wanted three left footed strikers as all 8 are right footed only!

Although I was missing personnel in the above positions, it didn't take me long to realise that I had landed on my feet at Craven Cottage. They'd spent 14 years in the Premiership before spending the last two years in the Championship and had built top class youth facilities in the process. They'd gotten some bloody good players as well so all I needed to do was to guide them in the right direction!

We certainly did that, winning the first 4 games which actually briefly saw us touch the summit before Rotherham won their game in hand to push us into 2nd. Although I lost my 5th game, we then enjoyed a 9 match unbeaten run before stuttering a little, losing twice and being knocked out of the FA Cup. We'd enjoyed a brief spell at 1st place but Birmingham had 5(!) games in hand and won them all to overtake us and move 11 points clear and Southampton were also enjoying a spell that pushed us to 3rd. The two teams were in such good form that Birmingham won the title and Southampton secured 2nd with 4 games left.

As for ourselves, I had to be content with a playoff place after finishing 4th with a record of 16 wins, 6 draw, 11 defeats. Our form had tailed off at the end of the season as 6 of those defeats came in the last 9 games. We were drawn against Rotherham in the playoff and a 6:2 aggregate scoreline put us through to Wembley. There, Portsmouth were beaten 2:1 to send us up to the Premiership.

There's certainly mixed feelings about going up through the playoffs. It'll be a lot tougher to win the Premiership title so my best bet is likely to be in the League Cup or FA Cup to be able to move on. But I've yet to sign a player of my own yet and having given everyone in the squad a chance, I know who'll be moving on and hopefully those coming in will help us to push on.

The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Some job you got there mate, like you say not earning promotion may have been a blessing in disguise but at least you can further increase that rep playing in the Premiership and hopefully be challenging for the top honours soon after some transfer in the summer.

vCash
    The Porto squad was almost ready for a domestic challenge, with a decent chance of going deep into the Europa league. I had picked up an amazing young Croat striker on a Bosman and he would be leading my attack

Getting a decent keeper had been the problem. Clubs were rejecting silly money and if a deal could be made, the players had no interest inmoving to Porto. In the end, I had to settle for an OK Brazilian U21 from Chapecoense, who still cost me 2m and a young Portuguese guy who looked over price at 250k as his backup. I did want a 3rd keeperand a midfield hard-man would also be useful, but as it stood, I was good to go. That was when I received this unexpected news

I couldnt resist and 2 weeks later I took my seat in the managers office at Firhill

Partick Thistle

The club were in a pretty good state, considering that when I had last looked a couple of years ago they were close to relegation to the 3rd tier. I inherited a side that had finished 8th in the Scottish Premiership and won the Scottish Cup (so in the Europa League) as well as getting to the League Cup final.

A few tweeks, including signing Shane Farrell (the underperforming Robbie Keane regen) for the 3rd time. He is now 24 and has all the attributes to score some goals.

Aberdeen put up some early fight, but the competition was pretty poor and the league was won with 7 games to spare. We didnt even have to try too hard.

It was not so good in the domestic cups where we went out to Dunfermline (Championship) in both. The League cup quarter final was a superkeeper and the Scottish Cup 5th round a red card for my keeper and 3 injuries to leave me with just 9 men for the last 10 minutes.

Europa League was fun. Zaria (Moldova), Bari and Brest set us up with Arsenal in the last 16. The Euro squad was depleted due to me getting rid of some players in January, but against the odds, we took a 3-2 win from The Emirates back to Firhill. Unfortunately injuries and suspensions told, so I had to put an academy player on the bench. It was 0-0 at half-time, but their class told in the second half where they scored twice to knock us out.

What next ? The Q jobs are few and far between. Just Q.P.R. Queens Park and Queen of the South remain (the likes of Quilmes, Quevilly-Rouen and Qviding have all been relegated out of the bottom leagues, so unless there is a lucky non-league side promoted, I could be here for a while. Im not sure whether to move towards an all Scottish squad (I have 8 non-Scots at the moment) or go for the best squad I can assemble, which probably still wont win a major European Title.

Im still going strong with Austria who progressed from a World Cup group with wins over Mexico and Montenegro (we lost to Netherlands) and this set up an aging Brazil. We kept it tight for 60 minutes, but as they tired, we let rip and came from behind to win 3-1. Belgium (also aging) were dismissed 2-0, but we didnt have the resources to chalengeSweden for a place in the final. 0-3 the final score. A 1-0 win over Senegal secured 3rd place.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    You must be the only person in the world to swap Porto for Partick Thistle mate

Hopefully one of them "Q" jobs will come up soon although from the sounds of things you won't be travelling too far.

vCash
    Congrats to Trunky and well played to all the others that are persisting with this.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Totally forgot to congratulate Trunky myself, so... Congratulations Trunky

As Kingsley says, keep going guys

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mark - Great work landing the Fulham job and getting them promoted. Hopefully the Premier League will be easier to win with you being a few years into the save but there's always the cups as backup.

Kingsley - I agree with AMC regarding the job swap. Hopefully a Q job will turn up soon, you don't want to be at Thistle for much longer, do you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CMAdventurer View Post
    Mark - Great work landing the Fulham job and getting them promoted. Hopefully the Premier League will be easier to win with you being a few years into the save but there's always the cups as backup.

Kingsley - I agree with AMC regarding the job swap. Hopefully a Q job will turn up soon, you don't want to be at Thistle for much longer, do you?
    I'm happy to be with The Jags for as long as it takes . I'm not the only one making strange career moves. Conte has just left Chelsea after 12 years to move to Betis !

vCash
    I've returned after a brief break and completed my latest team: Rotherham.

The club had stupidly not sacked their Very Insecure former boss before the season, but waited until they had a disastrous start to get rid of him. This left me with an uphill battle and, more significantly, no opportunity to bring in new players until January. Any injuries in midfield in particular left me with quite a selection headache but I nonetheless managed to drag the club up into the playoff places before a raft of reinforcements allowed us to push on and overhaul Spurs to win the title (and they then duly collapsed even further to finish behind Preston):

Job done. Now to see what 'S' club comes up, perhaps after the job merry-go-round rotates after the summer international sackings.

Previous clubs
    Ards: 2nd in Championship, lost promotion playoff
    Ballyclare: 2nd in Premiership
    Cliftonville: 9th in Championship, relegated
    Derry City: 4th in Premier Division
    Esbjerg: 6th in Superliga
    Falkirk: 8th in League Two
    Gamba: remains in non-league
    Huddersfield: 1st in Premier League, EFL Cup runner-up
    Independiente: 8th in Primera Division opening stage/2nd in closing stage
    Jmshg: 9th in Division 1 S.G.
    Kayserispor: 4th in Super Lig
    Legans: 3rd in La Liga
    Man Utd: 5th in Premier League, EFL Cup winner
    NEC: 7th in Eredivisie
    Osasuna: 5th in La Liga
    Panegialios: 4th in Superleague
    Queen of the South: 4th in Premiership

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Tall order to pull that back. I'm sure you'll give it a good go though.
    We gave it more than a good go!

We had a mixed start, collecting seven points from our first five games after my appointment. This was followed by five straight wins, including Celtic at home and Aberdeen away back to back. The victory at Pittodrie meant that incredibly, we weren't even in the playoff zone with eight matches still to play. Two defeats followed, the second being a crucial six-pointer against Hamilton and we slipped back to the foot of the table when Ayr beat St. Johnstone. Never mind, four wins in a row saw us complete an astonishing great escape with two matches to spare!

There was more excitement to follow. Last season, I took Berwick to the Scottish Cup final and this time, I went one better.

With League 1 Morton in the final (Berwick beat them in the semis last season), it felt like our name was on the cup. We got lucky and only had to face one Premiership team en route, although that was Celtic in Round 5. An excellent 4-2 victory came the week before we beat them in the league. Our other victims were Forfar (L2), Livingston and Falkirk (both Championship).

A few signings, mostly on loan were brought in to improve the squad. These were mostly up front, as our strike force was dreadful when I arrived. Jordan Hugill on loan from Preston chipped in with a few goals but my favourite signing was Will Mannion, on loan from Hull, who put in some great performances between the sticks to earn us some vital points.

It's a shame that the club's short name isn't Caley Thistle. In other news, I have resigned from my role as Canada manager to concentrate on club matters. I didn't really waiting for over two years to play another competitive match. I will be aiming to return to international management soon, so I will be keeping an eager eye on the World Cup. No club team wants me at present, so I'll have to stick with Inverness for the time being.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Events took a very unexpected turn. I was settling in for the long haul and had set up deals to bring in 3 Scottish internationals amongst a number of player upgrades. I wasnt going to have a fully Scottish side, but the new guys were a big move in that direction. Nothing was happening at Q.P.R, QotS or Queens Park and there was no sign of anything happening.

It got to the June data update and I had a quick look (in hope more than expectation) to see if any Q clubs had been promoted. Having got to Northern Ireland, I couldnt believe my eyes ! I applied and ..

Queens University

The club had no history and just 6 players, although to my surprise, all were useable, even the Vanuatuan international rightback, who was actually quite good. (I bet nobody has ever said that before !). There was no money available, so it was the loans and free transfers that I used to create a squad of 20, with 5 in the reserves if needed.

For some reason, Queens University were not invited to the NIFL Cup, but that didnt delay my stay in Belfast for too long. Like at Ards, I had overestimated the competition and we had the title won before the end of January !

It was an annihilation, and in the player ratings, we have 8 of the top 10 in the league. I guess I have to give the key player to Kabongo Tshimanga. The former MK Dons hit man bagged 20 goals, although at one time it looked as if he might get double that, before a couple of injuries slowed him down. I am a big fan of my 2 Italian wingers who have 25 assists between them. Particularly 17 year old Edoardo Pandolfi who Ill be looking at taking to a future club. Also Mark Owen, a midfielder released by Newcastle whos only 2 professional appearances in 8 seasons were his 2 Northern Ireland caps !

There are no R jobs available, but we have 3 in various states of insecurity. I think that I might resign and concentrate on Austria. I cant see anything at Queens University helping my reputation (currently 87 in the world).

Austria have qualified for the Euros, topping the group ahead of Germany, Sweden and Ireland.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    A nice short stay, agreed it maybe best to resign before staying in Northern Ireland hurts your rep too much.

vCash
    Season 19 - F

After making no changes to the squad in getting promoted via the playoffs, the old Henderson wheeling and dealing routine was on show after signing 14 players for a grand total of 176,000 12 players headed out for a combined 15,155,000!

Pre-season didn't go well, losing the first two games to Ards and Cowdenbeath! We beat Berwick but then were held to draws against Dundalk and Egedal. I put the blame largely down to being busy in the transfer market at the time.

It's fair to say it took a while to adapt to life in the top fight. Not many of my signings made an immediate impression although we did pick up our first win in an impressive 4:0 hammering of Southampton after 3 weeks. The trouble is, we then went 9 games without winning, drawing 3 times. We then won 3 on the trot before embarking on another 9 match winless run where we drew 4 matches this time and that run made our chances of staying up look bleak at the time. Thankfully, things picked up once we moved into February and we won 6 on the trot that pretty much ensured our status in the league for next year. I thought the season would peter out after that but although we did go 4 games without a win, I will say that we ended strongly, without losing in 4, winning twice.

I'm pretty happy to finish 12th in my first season in the top flight. It's given me more time too in terms of scouting players out and cutting quite a few off the shortlist that had been picked up in my time in the lower leagues.

Unfortunately, things didn't go as well as I wanted it to in the cups. We beat Forest Green and Port Vale in the first two rounds of the League Cup but put in a poor display at Sunderland, losing 3:0 at a time where we were having that bad run early on in the season. As for the FA Cup, we crashed out straight away to a Championship side (as were Sunderland) after a 4:4 draw took the game to a replay at Bolton where we lost 1:0. In some ways, it may have been a blessing in disguise as we went on that great run in the league afterwards but I know that my time at Fulham will need a cup win to move on.
    The Alphabet Game #3

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Get splashing that cash Mark!

vCash
    Next up on my tour was Sivasspor, who I guided to 4th in the Turkish Super Lig, but unfortunately lost in the domestic Cup Final. So I'll go again with the same team in 2047/48. Having worked on replacing foreign players in the squad with similarly-talented Turkish players, I'm hopeful I can sign another round of quality players to push on this year and get "S" done...

Previous clubs:
    Ards: 3rd in Championship
    Ballyclare: 5th in Premiership, League Cup runner-up
    Cliftonville: promoted from non-league to Championship
    Derry City: 4th in Premier Division, League of Ireland Cup runner-up
    Esbjerg: 8th in Superliga
    Falkirk: 5th in League Two
    Gamba: remain in non-league
    Huddersfield: 1st in Premier League
    Independiente: 11th in Primera Division opening stage/10th in closing stage
    Jmshg: 8th in Division 1 S.G.
    Kayserispor: 9th in Super Lig
    Legans: 4th in La Liga, Champions League runner-up
    Man Utd: 9th in Premier League
    NEC: 17th in Eredvisie, won relegation play-off
    Osasuna: 9th in La Liga
    Panegialios: 1st in Superleague
    Queen of the South: 2nd in Premiership, League Cup runner-up
    Rotherham: 18th in Premier League, relegated

34. The Following User Says Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    I was offered the chance to take charge of Cowdenbeath after their return to the league but I was holding out for something rather better after all the hard work to improve my reputation. After strengthening the Inverness squad in the summer, we began the domestic season with three wins and three defeats. Our Scottish Cup triumph last season meant that we would be competing in the Europa League. I had taken Berwick to the Third Round, so how far could I go with Caley? Kairat of Kazakhstan were beaten in the opening round 5-3 on aggregate, although after winning 3-1 away in the first leg, we made unnecessarily hard work of the second leg, falling behind twice on the night. Our reward was a tie against the mighty Inter Milan. We lost the first leg 1-0 in the San Siro but I was not around for the return. I was hoping that a good run in Europe would boost my world reputation but I really didn't fancy my chances of overturning the deficit. My stint in the SPL had not helped my rep as much as I had hoped and I resigned, hoping it would help me to land the Colorado job, who had the league play-offs and a cup final pending. I was rejected but I was only out of work for a few weeks.

Shrewsbury Town allowed me the opportunity to build up my reputation in England, which was ideal considering how many C jobs there are. The Shrews were 22nd in League 2 after 17 matches with just 13 points. I managed to improve their fortunes considerably, although my spell there was not as successful as my other clubs. The highlight was my home debut, when we trounced Rotherham 7-2. We also managed a decent FA Cup run, reaching the Fourth Round, where we were unlucky to lose to Barnsley in a replay. We should have buried them in the first game. During my spell, I applied for numerous C jobs but was constantly rejected, including by Cardiff City. That wasn't a huge surprise, but I was very annoyed to be overlooked by Chesterfield in early April. The Spireites were as good as doomed to relegation from League One, so I was confident of being successful. Their poor financial state would have made it a tough job, though. I resigned as Shrewsbury manager after one more game, leaving them in 13th place.

Finally, in November 2019, two and a half years after winning Scottish League Two with Berwick, I finally landed that elusive C job. It appears that resigning really does help your chances.

I am the club's fifth manager in under three years. The chairman has patience 1, so I had better hit the ground running. Missing out on Chesterfield looks like being a blessing in disguise.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Gonna have to do well quickly with patience 1

vCash
    Season 21 - F

At last, 'F' is ticked off with ease!

"Wait, Forfar?" I hear you say! Yep, that's right! Having made things hard for myself by achieving promotion from the Championship via the play-offs, my last update left Fulham 12th in our first year at the top flight. Unfortunately, things didn't go very well after that as I finished 17th the following year and simply had no luck at all in the cups. I started to think that Fulham wasn't the right club for me after all and when I spotted that Forfar were after a manager, I stuck my application in and made a third return to Scotland (after Berwick and Cowdenbeath) in League One.

I did worry about my world reputation dropping, especially after losing our first game of the season but we embarked on a 15 game unbeaten run to make a clear gap at the top of the table. We also reached the Final of the Challenge Cup which would have allowed me tick 'F' off after just 3 months in charge but lost 1:0 to Dunfermline. Instead, I had to wait another 5 months before we secured the title with ease and with 7 games left!

I'll stick it out in Scotland for the time being but have noted that the Gent job in Belgium is currently very insecure. I just hope my current world reputation of 226th is good enough to be considered if the job does come up!
    The Alphabet Game #3

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post: