Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940

Thread: The Alphabet Game #3 - April 2017 Data Update

vCash
    Zaglebe Lubin

There was much to be positive from my 11 games with Zaglebe Lubin at the tail end of last season. “Miedziowi “ (“The Coppers”) had been unbeaten and, even if I had not made a single change to the squad, I would have been confident of being there, or there-abouts at the end of the upcoming season. However there are 2 problems. Where is the fun in no changes and I am looking for total domination, not a wishy-washy there or there-abouts.

21 in and 26 out, plus an overhaul of the backroom is far more like it. My starting goalkeeper was demoted to number 3 and I had 2 Polish international strikers up front. There was a welcome return for Irish left back Sean Dowling, who was available for free after being released by Xanthi. In total, I spent £475k and brought in £1.4m in transfers, so even the chairman was happy. I just hoped that they would bond quickly as a team.

The first 14 games can’t win you the Polish Ekstraclasa title, but they certainly can lose it. It was vital to be in the top 4 of our group, which contained defending champions GKS Tychy. It was never in question that we wouldn’t go through. Right from the 3-1 away win at Bytovia Bytów we were clearly the class of the field. It is true that we faced some resistance from the world class goalkeepers of Poland, but the Zaglebe Lubin battering ram usually found a way through. Qualification was secured and we even took a small lead in the league table through to the next phase.

A draw and a win in our next 2 games extended that lead to 5 points going into the long (and very boring) winter break. There was very little transfer activity as little was needed, but I couldn’t resist Austrian defender Marcos Klausner who had been without a club following his release from Varzim where he had been a rock for me. I also accepted a bid for one backup D R/L and brought in a better and younger D R/L who cost less. All in all, good business.

Wonce the league restarted, it was clear that the opposition had moved up a level. These were the top 7 teams in Poland that we were facing. The big wins evaporated and every point was hard fought. The lead that we had built up was looking like a useful cushion, but gradually that lead started to extend. A 2-1 win (we held on after being 2-0 up early doors) at home to Piast Gliwice sealed the title with 2 games to spare. The final margin, a very flattering 16 points, with Pogon Szczecin taking just 1 point from their last 3 games.

It was only another 3 games, so I decided to play on, just to see if I could finish off with a domestic double. We were through to the Puchar Polski final after beating Pogon Siedlce(4-1 after they took a shock lead), Cracovia (2-1), Brzesko (4-1 aggregate) and KSZO (5-1 aggregate after they took a shock lead in the first leg). In the final, we would face a GKS Tychy teamthat we had beaten 4 times in the league, but only by small margins. It was a game ruined by a referee.

Not the way I planned to end this, but the adventure is over, all except for my final key player. There are many contenders. All 3 of my first choice strikers (Lazzari, Midzeirski and Ostermann) made double figures, but none went beyond that. The defense was solid and both full backs chipped in with important goals and my 2 main keepers were both solid, without being outstanding. In the end it comes down to a choice between my central midfielders. Michal Galeki was the most consistent and he bagged 8 goals, 9 assists and 6 MoM awards in his 34 games. I’m pretty sure that he completed 90 minutes every time he started and missed only 1 game due to a suspension. The key player though goes to his partner Patryk Koscielniak who had that bit more flair. He ended up with 13 goals and 10 assists from his 31 starts and fully deserves the final word.

The artist formally known as The Eejit

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Congrats, Kingsley! Got there in the end
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Congrats to Kingsley on completion! Doing so in just 20 years is really impressive, even if you were a bit of a jammy bastard with some of the job offers. I hope to see you taking part in further editions of this challenge.

vCash
    Was it really 20 years or did you start in 2001.

26 letters in 20 years is outrageously quick!

vCash
    His first trophy was the 2016 League Cup with Ards, so it really was only 20 years in total. Knowing my luck, I'd probably have to wait longer than that just for an X job to turn up.

vCash
    I was in 2050 or so when mine crashed and I still had a long way to go.

vCash
    Led the Japanese league at the halfway stage and at the end. Had to play a stupid play-off anyway against 2nd to confirm our win, but duly thrashed them 6-1 over two legs to make sure everyone knew we were the top team in the Land of the Rising Sun:

We've been knocked out of the post-season Emperor's Cup competition, but the board also injected some money and I'm busy upgrading the squad because, why not? Until a "W" job comes up I'll stick here and see what we can do in the Asian CL.

Previous Clubs:
    Ards: 9th in Premiership, survived relegation play-off
    Ballyclare: 7th in Premiership
    Cliftonville: 10th in Championship, relegated
    Derry City: 1st in Premier Division
    Esbjerg: 2nd in 1st Division, promoted, DBU Pokalen winner
    Falkirk: 10th in League Two, relegated
    Gamba: 10th in J2 League
    Huddersfield: 13th in Premier League
    Independiente: 17th in Primera Division opening stage/14th in closing stage, lost relegation play-off
    Jämshög: 2nd in Division 1 S.G.
    Kayserispor: 5th in Super Lig
    Leganés: 1st in La Liga
    Man Utd: 2nd in Premier League, Champions League winner, FA Cup winner, EFL Cup runner-up
    NEC: 7th in Eredivisie
    Osasuna: 6th in La Liga, Europa League winner
    Panegialios: 4th in Superleague
    Queen of the South: 6th in Premiership
    Rotherham: 13th in Championship
    Sivasspor: 4th in Super Lig
    Telstar: 3rd in Eredivisie
    Ural: 7th in Premier League

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Are you lot interested in this with the new update? If so, same rules? Or new rules? Think it would be fun for me to get on this bastard again!!

GFRay is online now Member of the Month
    Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    I'm in for this on the new update!

vCash
    I'm in.....

Is it worth changing to a different starting club or changing the order?

Depends if people think Ards is too.....tricky! :-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Are you lot interested in this with the new update? If so, same rules? Or new rules? Think it would be fun for me to get on this bastard again!!
    I'm definitely interested in restarting. I thought this edition was fun but a little frustrating in the beginning, as although I got lucky with the B job coming up at the perfect time, it took a long time to find a C. Saturn's latest patch has made it easier to find a job abroad but I'd personally prefer it if we had more choice regarding letter order like the first two editions. I only got as far as D, so I wouldn't mind going from A to Z again (with a different starting club), but people who got much further might prefer for things to be freshened up.

In terms of Ards being too difficult, it certainly wasn't in terms of winning a trophy. It appears that almost everyone managed it in their first season, with many doing so in the first few months with a League Cup victory. It means starting at a low level but that's the way it should be in my opinion.

If you're looking for a rule change, I have some ideas which I could share if you're interested.

vCash
    I'm definitely interested in a new edition.

vCash
    It is upto the boss man Mark to set the rules.

I'd quite like a Z to A. It would make finding that X job a real test as you'd need to build up your reputation over Z and Y. It would also bring into play a lot more of the A, B and C clubs which are currently impossible with the starting reputation.

There are a lot more clubs with no manager in this update, so an unemployed start might be possible

vCash
    Random I know but maybe with limited Z and Y clubs it could be an idea to start halfway through the alphabet i.e. L > K ?

vCash
    My issue with Z to A is that you'd most likely have to be very patient with Y and X, which could discourage people from continuing, particularly alphabet game newbies. How about starting with Q and going in order of where letters appear on a standard keyboard? It would eliminate the arduous task of trying to land a Q, although Y and U back to back early on could require some patience.

My other idea is a compromise between the first two editions. In both, you would start unemployed and could complete letters in any order. For the first one, any trophy counted while only top flight titles counted in the second version. Maybe include the likes of main national cup competitions as well as continental and worldwide trophies, possibly league cups as well, but not lower leagues and smaller trophies. I also think it's time to bring national teams into play.

vCash
    My idea is something like this:
    Every participant have to build with first letters his own long enough message (e.g 20+ letters)

GFRay is online now Member of the Month
    Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Here are some of my suggestions:

- Go from A to Z and then back from Z to A (extra long challenge)
    - Spell out a word, for example: C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P-M-A-N-A-G-E-R-O-N-E-T-W-O (Championship Manager 01-02, 25 letters)
    - Keep the A to Z format, but require a title in the top flight on the league (makes it way more challenging)

vCash
    Liking some of these suggestions! I hadn't put up a new alphabet game for the new update yet as I knew the official challenges team were working on new challenges and didn't want to distract people from those.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CMAdventurer View Post
    My issue with Z to A is that you'd most likely have to be very patient with Y and X, which could discourage people from continuing, particularly alphabet game newbies. How about starting with Q and going in order of where letters appear on a standard keyboard? It would eliminate the arduous task of trying to land a Q, although Y and U back to back early on could require some patience.

My other idea is a compromise between the first two editions. In both, you would start unemployed and could complete letters in any order. For the first one, any trophy counted while only top flight titles counted in the second version. Maybe include the likes of main national cup competitions as well as continental and worldwide trophies, possibly league cups as well, but not lower leagues and smaller trophies. I also think it's time to bring national teams into play.
    Qualify for and play at least one continental, or international tournament match ? (ie you could win the FA Cup with a conference side and therefore be playing UEFA league)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Qualify for and play at least one continental, or international tournament match ? (ie you could win the FA Cup with a conference side and therefore be playing UEFA league)
    What I mean is that under this proposal, winning the likes of the Champions League, Europa League, World Club Championship and FIFA World Cup would count as trophies, rather than just the top flight of your country.

Quote Originally Posted by pieriedaczi View Post
    My idea is something like this:
    Every participant have to build with first letters his own long enough message (e.g 20+ letters)
    Sounds fun, but there's not really much point in taking up the challenge unless you intend to be in it for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by GFRay View Post
    Here are some of my suggestions:

- Go from A to Z and then back from Z to A (extra long challenge)
    - Spell out a word, for example: C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P-M-A-N-A-G-E-R-O-N-E-T-W-O (Championship Manager 01-02, 25 letters)
    - Keep the A to Z format, but require a title in the top flight on the league (makes it way more challenging)
    Most people aren't going to get from A to Z, so the first suggestion would probably feel like the same challenge. The second one could work but the third seems a little too difficult.
    Last edited by CMAdventurer; 14-11-17 at 04:03 PM.

vCash
    I'll be up for some sort of Alphabet game on the new update, although I'll definitely be pushing to finish this one off first given how close I am.

Speaking of which, I have just left Ventforet after 12 games of the new season, in May, to join Watford in English Football League 1. It's potentially a long term project, but I'm quite happy with that given I'll likely have to wait a while for 'X' anyway.

Previous Clubs:
    Ards: 2nd in Premiership
    Ballyclare: 6th in Premiership
    Cliftonville: non-league
    Derry City: 7th in Premier Division
    Esbjerg: 12th in Superliga, relegated
    Falkirk: non-league
    Huddersfield: 10th in Premier League
    Independiente: finished 14th in Primera B Nacional, 6th in Primera B Nacional Group 1, lost play-off Quarter-Final
    Kayserispor: 12th in Super Lig
    Leganés: 11th in La Liga
    Man Utd: 1st in Premier League, Champions League winner
    NEC: 8th in Eredivisie
    Osasuna: 14th in La Liga
    Panegialios: 7th in Superleague
    Queen of the South: 8th in Premiership
    Rotherham: 23rd in Championship, relegated
    Sivasspor: 6th in Super Lig
    Telstar: 6th in Eredivisie

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just caught up, awesome stuff Kingsley, shame you couldn't get beyond the semis in International tournaments though! The end is well and truly in sight for you NormandyWept, and sorry to hear of the problems Mark and CMA had. Welcome aboard as well GFRay

26. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940