Thread: My best training method after years of experience

vCash

My best training method after years of experience

I have wasted a lot of my youth playing this game. I have gotten different editors to study the mechanics of the game, and I think I have the game mechanics mostly figured out as far as training is concerned.

1. Ironically, the most important attributes in this game are hidden. The most important hidden attributes of all are *consistency* and *important matches*. Also for GK, one-on-one. Have you tried playing a young spanking new GK? Chances are his consistency is low and is totally unusable. Also, defenders in general are a walking time bomb if consistency is not high. Also important matches make a world of difference when your entire season is on the line. In fact, I have found high *important matches* to be OP. You really need these two stats to be at least 15. You would think 10-11 might be enough but they are not. The best way to raise them is to send young players on loan to lower division asap. Marc Vaughn actually says the same thing. He emphasized sending young players on loan to get regular playing time in lower division.

2. Contrary to what you think, raising attributes too fast through training is a curse. If you have a good facility, good coaches, and etc, you can actually increase attributes quite fast. But you player only have a limited ceiling which once reached, won't be any higher. Even if you tweak your maximum potential to 200 by cheating with an editor, your guy still won't be 20 in every category. So you can think of a player's potential as having a limited number of chips to spend. You don't want to waste it in the wrong skills.

With that being said, you can see why having *intensive* in all categories for young players is a very bad idea. You just waste potential points in the wrong areas. You need to spend the potential points in hidden attributes first. Next, you need to increase the most critical stats for that particular position. For example, I found defenders to be totally useless without high positioning.

3. Contrary to most people, I only have 1 intensive and the rest in light or none. The default setting actually makes the most sense. Also, I rarely have injuries from training. In this way, I can have some control in how to raise the player. However, I also found that a player can increase certain stats just from playing. A player can increase in skill even if you set it to light or none. So you have some control but not total control in how a player can improve.

4. Next, after having good enough essential attribute, you want to increase the next important attribute which would depend on your playing style and the type of player the guy already is. For example, if a striker has a good technique, dribbling goes well with good technique so you want to put him in skill training. For example, if the striker has finishing in 20's, does not have good technique nor dribbling, I would not waste time in skill training but would try to increase 'off the ball' attribute through tactical training. I would then see him as more of a poacher type of striker.

5. I spend most of my experience playing as a crap team from the lowest division and bring it up to highest division. I am used to having limited budget and trying to kick butts by developing players not having the highest potential. Instead of setting training to all intensive and just hope for the best, I usually try to analyze his original attributes that the game gives him to begin with. I think about what type of player I want him to be and how to develop him in a way that is usable. It is much more satisfying to eventually win the champion's league without using the best players.

6. The most OP non-hidden attributes in this game are *off the ball* for attacking players and *positioning* for defensive players. But you won't see it being OP at all unless it is really high, like near 20's.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joeman For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Sorry, I should mention that, this is best for small club managers. I mean almost all my squad are youth player free transfers who have about 100 points of potential. Some have up to 130, and some have only 80-90. If you find a youth player who has 180+, you can develop however you want and it's probably quicker to load up with training. They improve faster than way. But I don't have those. They get snatched up AI big clubs quick. My method is mostly for improving a young player with low points in potential. Right now my starting GK has 17 handling, 18 positioning, and crap everything else, but he has clean sheet on average every other game. He has ability of 80 points and potential of 90 points out of 200. My coach said he should be transfer listed, but he is good. He only asks for $50,000 a year probably because he knows he is crap as far as numbers is concerned. I took on the challenge of building a team that is mostly homegrown and I sign free transfers with limited budget. So far I am mid-table in serie A, but with the team I have, I have no business being there in the first place. but at one point in the past, I have actually won champions league with crap players. It is possibly after waiting for about 10 years for super players to retire because the regens with high potential are not as OPs. Developing a good player with limited potential is doable if you are selective of their default stats and know what you can improve and what you cannot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to joeman For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Very helpful post in an area that is usually overlooked or ignored of this great game. I have some comments and additions though and thought it might be helpful to share as well. All my feedback comes from the CM Guide document written by Marc Vaughn and available to download in the downloads section here (
    http://champman0102.co.uk/downloads.php?do=file&id=26 ), and personal experience from playing the game since the year it was created 1998 till the 2010 edition (after that I stopped because it became too complex and time consuming for a game really).

First the comments:
    1. "Consistency" is one of the most important attributes for any player. I would go as far as say it is the most important one. I remember in one of my games, I was lucky enough to recognize the Messi regen. Got him early enough before his attributes shoot to 20s. Stayed with me for 5 season until he was 24, and he sucked! Yes his attributes were magnificent but he was not reflecting that in matches. He had average ratings/goals/assists/etc. no matter how many times I played him or in which formation. Downloaded CM Scout to investigate and sadly his consistency turned to be only 11. His ability was at 191 from 200, but sadly the "Consistency" attribute didn't increase like the rest. Not sure why but from that I got the importance of the that attribute. "Important match" on the other hand was not that important in my opinion. It only comes in effect in few games of the season no matter what team/level you play in. It's mainly for finals, derbies, or games with big TV exposure than usual. Players with low value in this attribute would be unusually anonymous in those big games. Real life example would be Higuain. He's a lethal forward overall, but he shocks in finals on the big stage like the WC or the CL. Doesn't mean he's not worth it. If your team doesn't absolutely depend on him alone, then I don't think is a big deal. I would still play him in big games too because it's not guaranteed he would tank. Depending on the value of the "Important match" attribute, he might still perform to his level just less likely. I think this is only crucial for GKers, because if your main GK tanks, this mean a 5 rating and conceding all shots on target (and we all know CM loves those!) and simply can't afford that in big games no matter how good your players or tactics it.

2. I understand and agree, players potential ability is a finite amount of chips that you can spend, and they will not grow no matter what. The thing is why not spend them fast enough, in a good way, to make your player reach his potential fast and so have him perform at his top level for more years. According to the guide, players see their most growth before the age of 24 anyway.

3/4/5. Absolutely agree with your training schedules. The best ones are the defaults. Managers have a bit of control of young players attribute development, but not much and here's why. Training categories train different attributes but they are not straight forward. What I mean by that is that they are not organized to correspond with the requirement of each formation position. For example, "Off the ball" important for attacking players and "Positioning/Marking" both important for defending players are all trained in the same category "Tactics". So if you want to develop your promising striker by spending his potential chips on intensive "Tactics" training to increase his "Off the ball" ability, you are also training him (spending chips) in "Positioning" and "Marking". The same goes for Dribbling and Tackling, both are trained by the "Skill" category. That doesn't mean it's useless, but it's not straight forward as people might think. I'm guessing they made it this way to prevent unrealistic freaks who are very specialized for certain positions from becoming the norm. I would still follow your examples of training schedules
    because at least you know you're training some of the needed attributes instead of leaving it completely random in the "General" training schedule. For players over 24 though, "General" is simply the most efficient.

6. I disagree on this one. Attributes near 20s are OP of course, but they must complement each other. A defender with 20 in Positioning but 10 in Anticipation/Decisions or Acceleration/Pace would not be able to shut down a very fast attacker even if the attacker has low Off the ball values. He might not even perform to his best ability if his Morale is "very low" for example. My point being, of course high attributes are better than lower ones but the game is
    too sophisticated for 1 or 2 attributes to be OP regardless of the other attributes and variables.

Now the additions:
    A very important aspect of Training players is the Coaches. Choosing suitable coaches and correctly assigning them their schedules makes a huge difference. Marc Vaughan, in the guide, gives emphasis on the "Judging ability" attribute of the coaches. Judging PA/CA by a coach helps in determining how much training the coach gives each player in the assigned category. So a coach with good ability judging would see who of the players has more potential for improvement. Another thing that becomes very valuable is their feedback when asking for reports on certain players. They will give you info on the hidden attributes like Consistency, Loyalty, Handling Pressure, Professionalism, and even Corner and Penalty taking abilities.

Marc also states that high values in "Discipline", "Working with Youngsters", and "Tactical Knowledge" attributes of a coach has special boosting effect on "Fitness", "Skills", and "Tactics" training categories respectively. So when assigning a coach for Fitness training for example, pick those with high Discipline.

From experience, and consensus here in the forum discussions, having each category of training (Fitness, Tactics, Shooting, Skills, GKing) covered with a total of 50-54 coaching points is the way to go. Coaches, like players, fluctuate in their attributes (+1 or -1) during each season. They also develop over long terms, and can significantly increase their "Judging ability" attributes and even learn new languages.

Sorry if this is too long, hopefully it's useful and not a waste

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KL1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I often see Pisani's shit player developing so well in "Good player" section. Hope that he can share some training method experiences someday

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
    1. My daughter - Trần Khánh An (CyCy ) - 11/ 01/ 2017
    2. CM0102 - Il Diavolo