Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women's Euro 2017

vCash

Women's Euro 2017

So I'm late in starting this thread but hey better late than never, yeah?

I'll start like I did with the WWC 2015 thread, the groups and my tips for the groups...

Group A:
    Holland
    Denmark
    Norway
    Belgium

Gonna predict 1. NED 2. NOR 3. DEN 4. BEL for the group. First matches already happened on the 16th, NED - NOR 1:0, DEN - BEL 1:0.
    This I think is gonna be between Holland and Norway... Denmark has their 'easy' game out of the way, and I can't really see either them or Belgium getting points off the Dutch or Norwegians without some big luck? Maybe Belgium's luck's name might be Tessa Wullaert...

Group B:
    Russia
    Germany
    Sweden
    Italy

Gonna tip 1. GER 2. SWE 3. RUS 4. ITA for the group. First matches went on the 17th, ITA - RUS 1:2, GER - SWE 0:0
    I feel kinda bad for Italy and Russia to be in this group... can't see either of them beating Germany or Sweden.

Group C:
    Austria
    France
    Iceland
    Switzerland

Tips for the group: 1. FRA 2. ICE 3. SUI 4. AUT. First matches went on the 18th, AUT - SUI 1:0, FRA - ICE 1:0.
    France easily should top this group... then a three-way race for 2nd place, which I think Iceland is gonna win.

Group D:
    England
    Scotland
    Spain
    Portugal

Tipping 1. ENG 2. ESP 3. SCO 4. POR
    This group's not too hard to pick for - England first, Spain second. Portugal's the bottom feeder here. I'd love to see Scotland finish second but I'm having some difficulty picturing them beating Spain. Maybe, with some hard work and a fair bit of luck...
    First matches on the 19th - gonna tip ENG - SCO 2:0, ESP - POR 3:0

Top two in each group advance to the quarterfinals.

At this point as a preliminary prediction, gonna say ENG - NED and GER - FRA semifinals. So... England against... hard to say who, in the final. France is hard to predict for... I'm really flipping a coin here and gonna say England v France in the final.

vCash
    That would be great for England. They have finally found a way to be in an tournament final

vCash
    Maybe England should follow the approach Canada should be taking too, that Australia are taking, that China take, etc: give up on men's footie cuz you're not gonna accomplish anything meaningful there, and pour your resources into the women's game!

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    excuse me, but the future may finally be looking brighter for our Men's team.... exciting young talent coming through

Still nowhere near the success or popularity of the women's team though.... but maybe one day

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

vCash
    @CF Hahaha. Yeah, maybe. But yeah, hopefully the men'll get better too.

So today, England - Scotland 6:0, Spain - Portugal 2:0. So I'm 2 for 2 on the results, but not the scores. Jodie Taylor got the first hat trick at the women's Euros in 20 years, I was only able to see bits of the match cuz I was at work, but what I did see, England really were that dominant. I think the Lionesses have made their announcement that they're here to win this.

Two matches tomorrow, which I will also miss because of work, Norway - Belgium and Holland - Denmark. I'm gonna say 1:0 wins for Norway and Holland.

Attendances have been I think fairly reasonable overall... Holland - Norway had 21,732 at Utrecht which doesn't surprise me given it's in Holland, and I expect tomorrow's game against Denmark to have a fairly large crowd too. Denmark - Belgium had 5000 (at Doetinchem (where??)), Germany - Sweden 9,276 (at Breda; this kinda surprises me, I'd've expected a bit more than that, but still, nearly 10,000 is decent), 4,781 for Austria - Switzerland (at Deventer), 5,000 for France - Iceland at Tilburg, 3,100 for Spain - Portugal (at Doetinchem; another I would've expected a larger crowd for), and 5,578 for England - Scotland (at Utrecht). The one anomalous match was Italy - Russia, which had 669 spectators at Rotterdam... true neither are a major powerhouse, but their both still decent sides, and I'd've expected at least a few thousand out for that match, too.

Still, if we compare these to attendances at Euro 2007 in Norway and Sweden, it's good progress - there, the largest crowd was 7,666 for Norway - Germany in the group stage, the smallest was 520 for Norway - Italy (at Lillestrom!), the Italy - Germany final had a crowd of 2,221 at Oslo. The average attendance for a group stage match in 2007 was 2,657 (based on the numbers for the 11 of 12 matches on the Euro 2007 wikipedia page); after 2 matches in each group in 2017, the average attendance so far is 6,892. I'd say that's pretty decent progress, and it'll only get better as time passes and women's football gets ever more recognition that the girls can, indeed, play.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rapinoe For This Useful Post:

vCash
    If I'm not mistaking, the final (in Enschede) is already sold out.

vCash
    Great start for England indeed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrkh View Post
    If I'm not mistaking, the final (in Enschede) is already sold out.
    Nice! What is the capacity there?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapinoe View Post
    Nice! What is the capacity there?
    I'm not sure every spot will be available, but 30,000 it is.

vCash
    Is it there or Roda has the retractable pitch?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    Is it there or Roda has the retractable pitch?
    That belongs to Vitesse (Arnhem).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Big win for Belgium!

vCash
    I managed to listen to about an hour of the NED-DEN match today at work. That was a really tight match, Denmark were really pushing in thr second half but the Dutch were saved by goalkeeping. Monday's matches should be very interesting. Holland are basically advanced, but not guaranteed... their game against Belgium should be good!

vCash
    Soft penalty for Holland as well. Those three points are more than welcome nonetheless!

vCash
    Yeah the Danes looked pretty good there yesterday. I think if they play against Norway the way they did in the second half against Holland, they can definitely win. Interesting group though right now, basically anything can happen there still. I rather underestimated the Danes and Belgians, I think - or overestimated the Norwegians.

8,477 out to see Norway-Belgium and 10,599 for Holland-Denmark, those are both pretty great numbers!

Missed out on making a prediction on Sweden-Russia today, just woke up after a welcome sleep-in, 2:0 Sweden in the 89th minute. Today's other game is Germany - Italy, I'm gonna predict a 3:0 for Germany there.

vCash
    Well I didn't get the score right at 2:1 Germany but got the winner right at least. Germany really were dominant the whole time, though Mauro's tying goal was very nice. The ref was kinda rubbish and much too generous with handing out yellow cards and a yellow-red. So Italy are on 0 points with one game left, they're out; they play Sweden next. Russia are mathematically still alive but to advance they need either a draw against Germany and for Italy to beat Sweden (not bloody likely), or they need to beat Germany and for Italy to draw or beat Sweden (even less likely). So basically in reality Russia and Italy are both out.

vCash
    Tips for today: Iceland - Switzerland 2:1; France - Austria 2:0

vCash
    Great fight between Iceland and Switzerland!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well I didn't get the winner right but that was a good game, Icelanders and Swiss really battled all the way. Maybe not fantastic football from a technical point of view but still an exciting match in that it never let up.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Rapinoe For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Brilliant save by the Austrian goalkeeper!!!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Zinsberger made several great saves. I'm pretty shocked by this game, I don't think anyone expected France to have to come from behind to save a point. But props to Austria for a fantastic effort.

Tips for tomorrow: Scotland - Portugal 1:0, England - Spain 2:1

vCash
    Last summer we've learned to never underestimate any Portuguese national team!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well, Scotland - Portugal 1:2 ... neither played well, there were many mistakes, but Scotland was also unlucky... a huge missed opportunity for an early lead in the first half was wasted through lack of finishing ability. Then, a glaring defensive error that resulted in Portugal going up 1:0, and then hitting the post near the end blowing a chance to make it 2:2. Not an unfair result at all, though definitely not a match you'd use to try to promote the women's game... Scotland and Portugal both have a long way to go yet to become even middle powers.

England - Spain will definitely be a better match, though. Stoked for that one.

vCash
    Easy wins for England and Spain four days ago. It'll be interesting to see them play in the same match, indeed.

vCash
    Well great job by England, 2:0 though should've been 3:0 as that disallowed goal was by no means offside. But a win's a win so no complaints. Spain had possession for a good part of the game but England did a good job of keeping them contained and away from the goal, Bardsley was only threatened a few times. They play Portugal next, so England's as good as clinched first place in the group, and Spain's likely not gonna have much trouble with Scotland so will likely finish second in the group.

Last games in Group A go tomorrow, Belgium - Holland and Norway - Denmark. Both of these should be good games. Tips? Gonna say... 1:0 wins for both Holland and Denmark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast