Thread: Pre-Season Frendlies - What's the point???

vCash

Pre-Season Frendlies - What's the point???

As the title suggests what is the point in playing pre-season friendlies? my squad is always shattered by game 3 of the pre-arranged games the game gives you and you get no gate receipts for playing home fixtures against bigger teams so the 6-2 thrashing my Huddersfield side just took from Leeds (ODB) was all for nothing...

Is there any benefit to playing the pre-season games I've not spotted or should I just delete them and let the team train until the next season starts?

vCash
    For starters it's nice to try out a new formation before the season begins. That way the players get used to the new formation and they need less time adapting to it in the actual season.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I find it shake off the cobwebs of players (not being fit due to lack of match pratice)

As Samsami said - good for trying things, building combinations, and I just due it to actually feel we are going on "pre-season" somewhere

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The pittance in gate receipts can be helpful...

vCash
    I don't think it matters at all. I never play friendlies, unless someone challenges me and I fancy beating them, and I never notice any difference.

It's more of a "in your head" thing, friendlies in pre-season are important in real life football, so we want them to be important in the game too. It just "feels" right.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JLa For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks for the input lads, I think you all make very fair points. I think I just assumed the game would treat a pre-season game against a much bigger team as a good thing and fill the stadium a bit like we see IRL and I was disappointed when there seemed to be no payoff! I guess I should remember this is just a game lol!

vCash
    There is a thread "Alternative guide to financial management", or something like that, that goes into arranging friendlies over the course of the season as a means to boost money and control youth development. Takes quite a bit of micromanagement from what I remember. And obviously is geared more towards lower end teams/leagues that don't have reserve matches.

As Redknapp said, it can get the players hitting the league running, instead of going from holiday lethargy (or 2 months no training, if you do that) to competitive games. But as most have said it's as much a roleplay thing as anything else... weekend in Barrow in Furness for the Cumbria Cup anyone?

vCash
    Other than finances when you are in dire need, there is no point. Unfit players = injuries. I never bother.

I like friendlies on international weekends to give fringe players an outing when I have a big squad.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    If you play one of your three "rival teams" you'll invariably get a full (or at least boosted) house and benefit from the extra revenue - still not as much as you'd get for a competitive fixture but as previously mentioned it can help if you're a smaller club with finance issues

vCash
    I always play a Friendly Cup I call "The Cup Cup." I always play Bognor, Worthing and Waterlooville. I use it to get fitness up. I cancel/ refuse all other friendlies. I also play them at least 2 weeks before the first game. When I win, mostly, the game says that "The board are delighted to win the Cup Cup Cup." I then giggle.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Is there any evidence that it helps with fitness ?
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Is there any evidence that it helps with fitness ?
    The ones that are not match fit I would assume. I just like winning the Cup Cup Cup!

vCash
    I used to play 3 games against gradually improving opposition. I now just play one game on the Saturday before the season starts at home to a local non league team in my area....habit

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

vCash
    In CM I always cancel the friendlies. There is absolutely no point in doing them on this match engine... I rather spend that time and train my players to ~90% fitness so they are ready for 1st game of the season.

It's a different story on FM however, there playing friendlies is, in my opinion, a must. Due to few features only FM has like tactic familiarity levels and few other quirks.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to info0 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Don't play them at all, just running the risk of injuries for no reason.

vCash
    I arrange four or five friendlies and just use the reserve team players and any useful looking kids to see if I have any 'hidden gems' lurking in my squad.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveV For This Useful Post:

baw

vCash
    I use friendlies to make it look real.

Some small road trip on a country (3 games, Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday) and then it depends on the club. With Benfica I usually go with a friendly vs Benfica B (just fun to have a friendly with almost 40000 on the stands). With Rome I was doind a colosseum cup always with me and Lazio and some other two teams. With Barreirense I used to have a cup with my rivals or other teams from the Lisbon South Bay (as the majority of teams from there I had on the 1st division was 3: me, Seixal and Amora... or 4, if you count Vitória de Setúbal) or a friendly against Fabril (stadium full of fans).

What do I use it? To get the subs ready to play. At the start of the season, I usually use the starters a lot because they are fresh... It is good to give the subs some games so that it takes longer for them to need matches to be fit.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to troza For This Useful Post:

baw