Thread: New penalty system.

vCash

New penalty system.

THE EFL is to support the trial of a reformed format for penalty kicks, by introducing the new ‘ABBA’ penalty shootout formula into EFL Competitions during the 2017/18 season.

The new system, which is currently being supported internationally by FIFA and in some European competitions through UEFA, will see the new ‘ABBA’ penalty shootout system adopted for this season’s Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy and Sky Bet Play-Offs as an alternative to the traditional ABAB pattern.

The trial of the new system is being backed by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) in response to a hypothesis that the player taking the second kick is under greater mental pressure in the current format. Therefore, a different order of kickers will be trialled in an experiment to reduce any apparent advantage the team taking the first kick may have.

In simple terms, the team taking the first kick in each ‘pair’ of kicks will alternate as follows.

Both teams to take five kicks unless knock-out process is required.

1st kick – Team A 2nd kick – Team B

3rd kick – Team B 4th kick – Team A

5th kick – Team A 6th kick – Team B

7th kick – Team B 8th kick – Team A

9th kick – Team A 10th kick – Team B

11th kick – Team B 12th kick – Team A and so on….

Shaun Harvey, EFL Chief Executive said: “We welcome innovation at the EFL and I am pleased to see that the EFL is able to play its part in an important development for football.

“IFAB have identified a theory that the current arrangements for penalty kicks potentially provide an unfair advantage to the team taking the first kick so we are keen to see if the new system has an impact on one of the most discussed issues in football.

“We all want football matches to be decided in a fair and consistent manner and I am sure the new system will add an interesting dynamic to the conclusion of matches in our competitions if required.”

The first round of this season’s Carabao Cup will present the first potential opportunity for the new system to come into use in EFL Competitions, with games scheduled to take place on Tuesday, August 8 and Wednesday, August 9.

vCash
    Yeah - was in recent friendly comps and seemed ok

vCash
    Mama mia, here we go again...

vCash
    The winner takes it all

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Erkifino For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Who fancies the first peno?

...take a chance on me!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Erkifino For This Useful Post:

vCash
    think its a great idea myself, although could initially cause a little confusion among fans.

vCash
    It won't make any difference. Thistle will still lose
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    I dunno. It still sucks, IMO. Just replay the game the next day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapinoe View Post
    Because all the fans can still attend?! Because transport arrangements for clubs are not planned?

vCash
    Yeah terrible idea, Rapinoe

It is what it is, some will like it, some won't. Only those used to tennis will get it
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapinoe View Post
    Money, money, money!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Only those used to tennis will get it
    What's the name of the game?

vCash
    When all is said and done, you've still gotta put the ball in the net.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erkifino View Post
    Money, money, money!
    Yo that's selling twice the tickets, though...

And transport arrangements can be changed.

Or, well... could do like hockey does and just play on until someone scores! The women's Euros are having a new experiment wherein a team can make a fourth sub in extra time... well, okay. So keep playing until someone scores. Every extra half hour of play means you get one more sub. If everyone's been subbed (not including the goalie), you can sub the first one subbed off, back on.

(wow, the more I typed of that the more I realised what a braindead idea that is, but... I had to finish it because just wow, gotta share that lol)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rapinoe For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Isn't the new penalty system implemented cause of stress the last penalty taker is on?

It's hilarious if you ask me. Those guys earn tons of money. Get your heads out of your ass for once. Stop acting like prima donnas fuckers. I can assure you surgeons have 1000x times the stress you player lot have (for much less money to boot).

Crazy that they want to make life easier for those guys. Like seriously? WTF.

Next idea I have: make the teams take penalties simultaneously. Let home and away team take the pens at same time, but let them be taken on opposite ends of the field, so one team doesn't see the score of other. Presto. Fun times .

20. The Following User Says Thank You to info0 For This Useful Post: