Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jack to a King? A Swansea City Story by Redknapp69

vCash

3 days later and it’s Scunthorpe away. The games really are coming thick and fast now!

Coomber and Goodfellow are exhausted. Goodfellow stays at home with Watkin taking his place on bench and Keaveney in the line up. Coomber drops down to bench if we really need him

“The most comfortable of away games!”

Quite an action packed first half with chances for both team

We then get hold of the game from 25 minutes on and make our pressure tell by Lee Jenkins finishing off a lovely move which involved Phillips and James Thomas.

Right before HT as well – GET IN!

The 2nd half is a more cagier affair with us hold to what we have and looking to counter on “Scunny” when we rob them of possession

And the plan paid off in the 60th minute with Lee Jenkins nicking a ball and feeding James Thomas who went on a barnstorming run and beating3-4 mean before slotting in the bottom corner. A truly wonderful individual goal but not possible without the team’s pressing

We were comfortable after that and with a FA Trophy game in 3 days time I made changes to key personnel in the hope they would be fit for the next game

Comfortable but deserved away win – if only all games could be like this!

Spoiler!

1st and 2nd drop points, but sadly it is 3rd place Rushden that beat 2nd place Hull

Media Praise James Thomas
    The media have been in awe of James’s performances this season and I agree – he’s developing very nicely and is flourishing under regular game. We hope to keep him in sunny South Wales for years to come!

Spoiler!

EFL Trophy day with a 1st round match away to Southend

It’s a competition I want us to go well in but given we are playing every 3 days there will be changes with Mumford, Keaveney and Phillips all rotated

“Big Rog helps secure Swans path to the next round”

Let’s just say both teams didn’t bring their shooting boots in the first half. Just 2 shots on goal in total.

But thankfully – right on the stroke of half time Lee Jenkins setup up James Thomas to fire the ball with fury past the ‘keeper! 1-0 HT!

The 2nd half opened up a lot more with both sides having a go.

We soon snuffed out any real threat Southend had and we kept our first 11 on for as long as we could not to disrupt the rhythm.

Late on Keaveney tried a volley which was parried by Southend’s goalkeeper but fell to Coomber who was intelligently following up for one of the easiest goals he’ll ever score!

Tripe subs then made and the game was seen out

Also good to get another 90 minutes under the belt for 16 year old Ashley Williams in a holding midfield role

They took it to the wire but in the end a deserved win.

Freestone takes MOM with some key saves as we progress into the next round!

Spoiler!

Suspension News
    O’Leary is banned for 2 games after totting up 10 yellow cards. It’s a blow for a player who is one of our most versatile and fits into many positions with good effect

EFL Trophy – 2nd Round Draw
    Home draw v a League 1 Team. Home at the Vetch is always preferred but this will prove to be a tough tie

Future Transfer INCOMING News
    We probably need a better backup ‘keeper so have secured the services of Andy Woodman from Oxford on a free transfer in the summer

Spoiler!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Woodman isn't an ex-Swan, is he? Nor is he Welsh

Good month - I can see you cashing in for the big money with James Thomas at some point. Especially with the player exchange trick
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Picking up steam there!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    What is the reasoning behind signing Woodman? He's not an ex-Swan or Welsh like Mark pointed out and conceding 14 goals in 8 appearances means he's not that reliable as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Woodman isn't an ex-Swan, is he? Nor is he Welsh

Good month - I can see you cashing in for the big money with James Thomas at some point. Especially with the player exchange trick

Nope - but I can sign ANYONE. Welsh and ex-Swans will always be on the radar though

I do love the player exchange

But no quality wants to join us so he won't be leaving anytime soon and recently signed a new contract

I won't stop any big move but will certainly hold him for as long as I can!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Picking up steam there!
    Aye - seems to be a 2nd wind after the good start

No injuries helps with this small squad!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GFRay86 View Post
    What is the reasoning behind signing Woodman? He's not an ex-Swan or Welsh like Mark pointed out and conceding 14 goals in 8 appearances means he's not that reliable as well.
    Answered abopve in the fact I can sign anyone but will look out for Welsh players or ex/future Swans when I can if they will improve quality of the team

Woodman is currently better than the backup GK we have

No other reason for signing him apart from that (cheap wages and free transfer as well!)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

Next up in the League is a proper mid table table Bury team. 6,813 supporters are in the ground!

We are at home, squad back to full fitness are we are gunning for the 3 points!

“A Famous win……………………with 10 men!!

Well – what a start! – 2 minutes in and Goodfellow scores getting on the end of a Jenkins through ball! Super start for the Swans!

Ah – but hang on – it can’t be that easy with us…………..AGAIN our concentration goes and Phillips brings down Clegg when he’s clean through on goal. Ref had no choice, RED CARD and a penalty!

Sadly, Freestone can’t get near it as it’s well tucked away and 1-1 after 4 minutes and we’re down to 10 men!

We then go behind after the 20th minute when a low cross to near post Is tucked in by the impressive looking ex Liverpool player, Jon Newby who looks too good for this decision.

2-1 down and HT and 1 man less. Jenkins has a niggle so we’ll save him for another day and replaced by Jackson. Coomber to be playmaker

I implore the lads to go for broke in a lot of respects. If we’re going to lose 2-1, let’s lose 3-1 go for it instead!

And the guys took that plan to heart and even more – an amazing effort in 2nd half!

With nothing to lose we also play a little longer, Lacey hits a long ball, James Thomas beats his man in the air, and with a looping header beats the keeper!

2-2 with 10 men – Get in thereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

A period of to and fro for 10 minutes before we get a corner in the 72nd minute

Coomber goes across to take it, float’s it up and wanting to prove a point to me, Jason Smith leaps as high as a fecking salmon and bullet headers it home!

3-2

3-2

It’s fecking 3-2 and we have 10 men

WTF!

Bury look to come back into the game but we remain on the front foot and also create changes. They guys are out on their feet but pull of one of the best comebacks the Vetch Field has seen for years!

It’s one of those days when you can say “I was there”

Spoiler!

1st and 2nd wins but YES – 24th place Shrewsbury beat Rushden 2-1

That means we move up into 3rd! And we are on a nice run of form again!

Post Match Interview

After the game I attend the post match interview where I am still buzzing!

Reporter: Wow – what a game – there hasn’t been one like that at the Vetch Field for years!

Redders: I don’t think I could handle that every week. My heart is still pounding and I need some fecking Gaviscon and Valium!

Reporter: How do they do it? How did YOU do it?!

Redders: We’re on a good run of form and confidence is high. I told the lads to keep that confidence and I don’t care if they lose 4-1. I’d rather us do that and give it a go to get back in the game…….

Reporter: Get back in the game? You only then went and won it! What are your thoughts on the match winner Jason Smith who you publicly criticised a few weeks ago

Redders: Jason and I had a heart to heart. A full and frank conversation. He knows what is needed to play for this magnificent city. You cannot go at it any less than 100%. You cannot rest on your laurels, You cannot think your position is safe. Since then, Jason has got right back to the form I expect of him. Look at his attributes – he has everything to be a top class defender but he has to remain focused and work hard. But my word – what a fecking header. I was delighted for him and more importantly the whole club who have rallied around the squad and to the team who were out on their feet -

Reporter: You have another 5 games in 15 days – They must be running on empty soon?

Redders: In some ways we’re used to playing every 3 days now with number of leagues games and different competitions, so yes, this is a key month and will be tough, but we will have recruits in to freshen the squad which is always seen as a key month

Reporter: Well – thanks for your time as ever, I’ll leave you to it with Kidderminster away in 3 days time!

Suspension News
    Phillips is banned for 3 games and will miss the next 3 league fixtures. A big blow given he’s been very much the player who’s “playing the pass before the pass” and he’s our “holder” in CM whilst Jenkins and Coomber have more freer roles

22nd place Kidderminster away next.

Goodfellow is exhausted so is rested from the matchday squad as a whole

“Jason Smith has turned into Jason Bourne!!

We have much the better of the first half but do not hit the target enough. A familiar tale

Blow in 21st minute as Keaveney goes off injured. Steve Watkin cokes on to replace him

No breakthrough following that and cut a frustrated figure at HT

Let’s do the same again 2nd half and it’ll come our way!

But it’s as quiet as a mouse in the 2nd half……………….literally……………………nothing happens!

I go for it and take of De Vulgt and bring on Jackson as a more attacking option.

Just as the “lino” puts up his board to show 4 minutes of added time, The “DEVIL”, picks up the balls on a box to box run and hot it as hard as he could from 20 yards with a sweet strike that rifled in the top corner!

What a time to score the winner in the last few minutes!

Such an important win for the momentum.

Lacey is injured and needs 6 months of rehab but continues a but a gut for this team

But the MOM goes to the colossus Jason Smith who seems to be revelling in being one of the “main men” in defence

Spoiler!

We remain in 3rd. Rushden drop 2 points by only drawing. The top 2 are still way out in front despite my late efforts of putting a league run together

Injury News
    Jon Keaveney is out for approx. 1 week so will miss a couple of league games

Last edited by Redknapp69; 13-09-17 at 10:47 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    How do you do that? With ten men?!?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    What a win Still cruising it at the moment and full of confidence!

I think you must be certs to go up via a promotion spot now. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you catch up to 2nd place as well.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    How do you do that? With ten men?!?
    No idea!

Didn't change tactics and not a manager who shuts up shop so was a gamble which paid off!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    What a win Still cruising it at the moment and full of confidence!

I think you must be certs to go up via a promotion spot now. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you catch up to 2nd place as well.
    Yep - on a good run

HUGE game soon vs 4th place Rushden

vCash
    Two very important wins! You got champed hard against Bury with a red card and penalty in the 4th minute, but you managed to divert it.. well done!!

Maybe you could add coming fixtures as well?

vCash
    Two very important wins! You got champed hard against Bury with a red card and penalty in the 4th minute, but you managed to divert it.. well done!!

Maybe you could add coming fixtures as well?

Yeah - luck certainly went our way in that one but mentality of going for broke may also have helped!

Yes - good shout - now we're getting to halfway or more through season will add fixtures

vCash

At home to 19th placed Bournemouth in the last game before Christmas

A lot of midfield change made due to the first choice players being fatigued - slight eye on Rushden in 3 days time as well

“Hat-Trick Hero Jackson gives Swans fans the perfect Xmas Gift!!

Ideal start when James Thomas is clippedi n the area and a penalty is given. Red card for Bournemouth as well!

Jackson converts it!

20 minutes later and Jackson is back at it. Lacey with a lopped ball and Jackson gets on the end of it beating his man in the air!

2-0 at HT against 10 men. May look to make changes with 4th place Rushden in 3 days time

Jackson gets his hat trick on 57 minutes from a Howard set piece and a flick on from James Thomas.

Game over after that and changes are made to rest legs for next game

Bournemouth did get a consolation but the fans go home for Xmas with a spring in their step!

A superb start to the hectic Christmas period!

Spoiler!

1st place Lincoln draw, 2nd place Hull win while 4th place Rushden lose 3-1 away to mid table Torquay – bonus!

Injury News
    Damien Lacey is out for 10 days and will miss the entire Xmas period – 3 league games and doubtful for Reading in FA Cup. A huge blow  - Don’t forget he probably needs 6 monts rehab as well but e’s playing so well we’ve agreed to leave it until later in the season

Transfer New – Future INCOMING
    Managed to agree a free transfer deal with Andy Lodge. Nothing to shout home about but currently better than some of the backup defenders we do have
    Anthony Keilthy also agrees – still a kid – he seems to have decent potential and can cover both sides. As he’s under 21, we’ll have to pay 16k for him as a development fee

Spoiler!

Boxing Day and it’s Rushden away – 4th v 3rd.

There are 5 points between us in the league – this is an enormous game for us to try and pull away. We slip up and they are right on our coatails again!

Squad is pretty much fully fit apart from Lacey and Keaveney still out so largely full strength XI chosen

Let’s do this boys!

“Stalemate in the battle for 3rd!!

It’s an action packed start with both teams going hammer and tongs to get 1 up on each other.

The better of the chances came to us and finally we take the lead when Coomber plays in Goodfellow which hits it hard and high to score!

5 minutes and for no reason Mumford is given his marching orders – WTF?!

We drop a little more defensive in shape but keep the formation as the win is imperative

That’s out of the window after 30 minutes when Howard pulls Fenn’s shirt of Rushden and the pen is given – thankfully not down to 9!

But punishment itself when the pen is converted

We go to half time at 1-1 and although we are happy to hold what we have we actually came out 2nd half as the better team and very unlucky not to take home the 3 points

All in all you’d take a point there with 10 men to a team who is chasing you but we were oh so close to extending our lead

Big shout out to Theobald that came on and was excellent in place of the booked and poor Smith, but especially MOM O’Leary who was magnificent deputising for Lacey and then doing a fine job dropping back into defence after the sending off

Spoiler!

1st place Lincoln draw again and now get leapfrogged by Hull who win again.

Suspension News
    We appeal for what seemed a random sending off for no reason – but alas – those muppets at the FA uphold the 3 game ban – another big blow!

Upcoming Fixtures

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    STRENGTHENING THAT HOLD!!!

Come on you Swans-sea - sorry me and Swans have a blood fued atm

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Gutted to not win that Rushden game! You're getting a fair share of red cards this season mate..

vCash
    Doing well. I take it that 3rd place is automatic promotion. How many games remaining?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZanSnake View Post
    STRENGTHENING THAT HOLD!!!

Come on you Swans-sea - sorry me and Swans have a blood fued atm
    Yes Zan - we're on the charge at the mo

vCash
    Gutted to not win that Rushden game! You're getting a fair share of red cards this season mate..
    Yes - big 6 pointer game that but they have been dropping points before this game which is good

Aye - got 'hard' tackling on so always the risk

But this red was bizarre - he did nothing!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Michael Jackson scoring three and it even wasn't a Thriller!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Yes - big 6 pointer game that but they have been dropping points before this game which is good

Aye - got 'hard' tackling on so always the risk

But this red was bizarre - he did nothing!
    I personally use normal tackling by default and only give players with a decent value for bravery and tackling the hard setting. Reduces red card to a minimum imo.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to GFRay86 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrkh View Post
    Michael Jackson scoring three and it even wasn't a Thriller!

I wqas racking my brain for an MJ "headline" - can't believe I missed that one

Solid midfielder for me but had a worldie day then!

- - - Updated - - -

I personally use normal tackling by default and only give players with a decent value for bravery and tackling the hard setting. Reduces red card to a minimum imo.
    Good idea - In all my years of playing CM I've NEVER used Player Instrctions - think I enjoy the simple things too much

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

The last home game of the year vs 7th place Leyton Orient

A few of the lads are exhausted from the last game so are benched if we really need them. Big names such as Jenkins and Goodfellow

“Super Sub Jenkins see the New Year out in style for the marching Swans!!"

Not too much action to start with in the game but then ot of nowhere we are given a pen by the linesman flagging to the ref

Recent hat trick hero Jackson steps up but it’s saved by Barrett!

Big chance missed!

The rest of the half goes by without too mch in it even though we are the better team

Jackson randomly has a 4 rating so as well as missing the pen he was having an off day so brought on playmaker Jenkins and Coomber for Phillips who had a niggle in order to bring some creativity to proceedings

And they certainly had an effect! We continue to probe nicely with them but it looks like it just won’t happen today.

Last throw of the dice is 16 year Ashley Williams on for De Vulgt is a holding CM role for fresh legs rather than anything

But then good work from James Thomas winning the ball back, he feeds Jenkins who jinks passed a few before giving it bvack to Thomas who fires it home!

What a late important goal to finish off the games at the Vetch Field this year!

Spoiler!

Huge, huge win! A deserved win as well looking at the stats!

Hull win, but Lincoln and Rushden drops points again!

Staff OUT
    Leicester approached and ended up stealing our Scout from us. We got 45 for him though and I have a better replacement lined up. McCabe was scouting next opposition (I have 2 other Scots around Europe)

TRANSFER WINDOW OPEN

Cancelled Transfers Out

As expected, the 2 Paraguayans Work permits get declined and Frowen unable to move due to the cub not being able to afford the fee

Spoiler!

Confirmed Departures
    Neil Sharpe
    David Smith
    Pal Reid

None of which in my plans and age not on side for a couple of them

Spoiler!

Confirmed Signings
    Dean Shiels
    Kris Robertson
    Justin Bowler

I see all of these plying their trade in the reserves/youth and will follow their progress to see if they can force their way into the first team squad

Spoiler!

Michael Jack
    Scott McNiven
    Julian Alsop
    Richard Walker

These guys will all be part of the first team squad and will surely improve us – key for the run in to this season where the games have been coming thick and fast! I have high hopes for Alsop and Jack

Alsop is actually an EX-Swansea Player – played from 1997-000 so we are delighted to see him back “home”

Spoiler!

Potential Bosman Signings
    Not too many who are interested in joining us. Ian Cox looks versatile and experienced so a cheeky bid in for him

Transfer Listed
    Terry Evans will no longer be required given the new recruits that can play that position. To be fair, he’s never let me down when he’s played and always been solid

Steve Watkin was looking to be listed but he may be able to slot into midfield if we have an injury crisis. Same thing for up top (where 4 strikers ahead of him)
    I just think it would be daft to cut our squad when it could be what makes or breaks our promotion bid!

Finances
    We’re doing ok and there is money there if I need to spend but will leave it be as it may cover wages for rest of season where I am carrying a slightly bigger squad in the worry about number of games left and the strain on the squad!

Squad Nationality
    The eagle eyed among you may well be asking how many “Welshies” are in each matchday squad at the moment. 3 is what I have always guaranteed and we are still good for that. It help that some of these like Thomas/Lacey and Freestone are “nailed on” starters but it is clear we do need to bring in more local talent.
    We’ll be asking our scouts to focus on that

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The difference towards the clubs from third position down is looking good indeed!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrkh View Post
    The difference towards the clubs from third position down is looking good indeed!
    Yes - we have an 8 point gap to 4th but 4th to 10th only 5 points so lots of clubs chasing us!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast