Thread: Local Heroes V1

vCash

Local Heroes V1

I woke up in a strange town with a blinding hangover, a marker pen drawn penis on my cheek and a crumpled up bit of paper in my hand. I was starkers, cold and moist. It was like when the T-1000 woke up at the start of Terminator 2 but far more dishevelled and pathetic.

I read the scrap of paper through bleary eyes. 'Managers job. Locals only. 2pm @ local shop.' it was written in red crayon in handwriting that looked like it was scrawled by a doctors broken left hand. At least I hope that was red crayon.

Not having a clue where I was or what was going on I wandered around for a bit until I found the local shop. It was 5 to 2. Job interview it is then.

Chairman: Hello, hello. What's going on? What's all this shouting? We'll have no trouble here.
    Me: Hi, I'm here about the job.
    Chairman: Are you... local?
    Me: We'll I live near a place called Barrow. Not the same one though. It's in Leicestershire.
    Chairman: You people are all alike, You march in here, young! try and touch the local things. I suppose next you'll be spraying me with one of those cans of paint, smearing poor Tubbs here with excrement.
    Me: You what mate?
    Chairman: Is Leicestershire like Swansea?
    Me: Yes, mate. Only... bigger.
    Chairman: Tell me about yourself. Why should I hire you?
    Me: Well err ...
    Chairman: Pervert, eh? Sex. On the brain. Wet the bed, I'll bet - as a boy? No sisters.
    Me: ...
    Chairman: You boy. You're hired. Sign only local players for local people. We'll have no trouble here.
    Me: Righto. How local?
    Chairman: 25 miles. We don't bother the outside world, we don't want it bothering us.
    Me: Riiiiiight, I'll need new players then. How much have I got to spend?
    Chairman: Seven and twelfty.
    Me: Bugger this I'll work it out myself.

- - - Updated - - -

If I was going to stick with local players I'd need to clear out the outsiders first.

The only locals already in the squad were Harry Panayiotou and the currently on loan Lindon Melkie. Tough task ahead. But the Harry Redknapp in me took over.

1.5m in player sales for a rag tag bunch of rejects was good business. Danny Livesey (450k to Luton), Liam Hughes (250k to Billericay to play with Paul Konchesky) and Nick Anderton (500k to Leeds) formed the bulk of those sales.

And now to the locals. This season I looked at adding bulk to the squad in the summer before trying to add as much quality as possible with an eye on the future in January.

I added a left sided centre back in Louis Rowley on a free, who looks a decent prospect:

And then built my midfield 3.

Defensive midfielder Hamza Choudhury for 85k from Leicester:

And the centre mids George Thomas (50k from Coventry) and Lee Cox (60k from Swindon):

And the final building block was a bit of quality at left back in Ryan Haynes for 30k from Coventry:

My first 11 was starting to pad out but would we hit the ground running with results? The road to success starts with 3 points.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to generalsmuts For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good luck! Made a positive start already
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Do you have a Dave in your team?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrkh View Post
    Do you have a Dave in your team?
    He's buying some pegs off a bloke in a top hat at the minute ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by generalsmuts View Post
    He's buying some pegs off a bloke in a top hat at the minute ...
    Just don't trust the butcher there, or ask for his secret meats....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well I've managed to turn this rag tag group of misfits:

Into this slightly less rag tag, younger and better equipped group of misfits:

With plenty of top quality reinforcements coming ready for next season:

Which should hopefully be in the football league if this continues:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to generalsmuts For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Blimey - smashing through the first season

Good recruits (i'm quite impressed by some of the att's for that level) and more on the way

What formation/tactics?

vCash
    Yeah some like Fryatt are good deals for a club of Barrow's size!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Considering I have less than a grand a week I can offer in wages as well they are all quality signings. Most do have very low minimum release clauses thought which will need addressing once I get some money in.

vCash
    Stage 1 complete!