PDA

View Full Version : Running all leagues

!steve1977
01-07-19, 04:55 PM
Installed CM01/02 last night along with latest official patch, my registration hadnt confirmed at the time so I thought I'd test the waters and just load it up to get a feel for the game.
I figured my computer these days is a lot better than back in the day (A Pentium III from Time Computers! :eyebrows: ) but it was fairly slow at processing the shortlists.

Is it generally a no-no to select loads or will it still run lightning quick on a modern computer?

samsami
01-07-19, 05:21 PM
Installed CM01/02 last night along with latest official patch, my registration hadnt confirmed at the time so I thought I'd test the waters and just load it up to get a feel for the game.
I figured my computer these days is a lot better than back in the day (A Pentium III from Time Computers! :eyebrows: ) but it was fairly slow at processing the shortlists.

Is it generally a no-no to select loads or will it still run lightning quick on a modern computer?

Should be fine (once it has loaded everything, that is.

Also, you can use the Saturn patch and high speed if you want.

https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10099

leo37
01-07-19, 05:46 PM

i thought it would be buggy and crash a lot i'm currently playing all leagues and all players loaded from database and it is much slower but very stable no crashes or no data errors so far or glitches none I have seen anyway currently 8/9 seasons into my save

!steve1977
01-07-19, 08:06 PM
Cheers guys

ForzaJuve
01-07-19, 08:31 PM

The shortlists always load slowly when starting a new game, however, running all leagues on decent modern laptops should be a breeze.

James_y
01-07-19, 11:51 PM
Itís not bad running all leagues. You can go to options selected leagues and then chose to turn leagues on and off being in the background or not. I usually open all leagues up in my transfer windows and then run most on background during season which speeds things up a bit

Kingsley
02-07-19, 08:40 AM
I am now over 50 years in and all leagues running without issue. The commentary speed is fine, but the June/December updates do take a while ... long enough to make a cup of tea !

The only issue is loading and saving. Even compressed, the save is now 1,215,333 KB, so you really don't want to be stopping and starting too often. Perhaps if I invested in an SSD it would be quicker. I guess that uncompressed it would be about double that, and twice as long to load.

riise
02-07-19, 08:46 AM
I think it'll always be quite slow because the game is designed to run on one processor, so the number of processors modern PCs have is irrelevant? Feel as though I've read that (or similar) somewhere before...

Kingsley
02-07-19, 09:01 AM
Very true, but also individual processor speeds have improved over the last 18 years

leo37
02-07-19, 10:16 AM
true if you have an old processor with only 2 cores or 4 multi threads but has a really good speed you won't notice much difference from a fast first gen to a modern lightening quick one. I still play on an old processor from 2010 on one of my pc's it only has 2 cores and 4 threads but clocks at 3.8ghz and it runs everything quicker than my newish laptop which has more cores more threads at 3.6ghz. It only uses one core so it's a base speed you need even for more modern fm's I don't think it uses all the cores or I could be wrong about that

not sure if ram helps slightly either as my old desktop @ 3.8ghz has 16gb ram compared to 8 on newer machines i have but generally cm01 02 runs quick if your single core speed is quick on the processor

might depend also on what version windows you use for cm01 02 as windows 10 has so much file scan crap and security tools that can slow down many old applications as it see's them all as a threat

ForzaJuve
02-07-19, 10:07 PM
I am now over 50 years in and all leagues running without issue. The commentary speed is fine, but the June/December updates do take a while ... long enough to make a cup of tea !

The only issue is loading and saving. Even compressed, the save is now 1,215,333 KB, so you really don't want to be stopping and starting too often. Perhaps if I invested in an SSD it would be quicker. I guess that uncompressed it would be about double that, and twice as long to load.

Would highly recommend an SSD. The June update still takes a while but the January update loads quickly. Saving/loading games takes less than a second. I always run uncompressed so not sure how that'd compare to compressed saves.