PDA

View Full Version : New life for CM ?

unspace
17-07-19, 10:09 AM
Hello everyone who plays the best Manager on this planet (i don't sure about all Universe :alien:). I have to say two things first: 1 sorry for my English 2 I do not understand anything in programming and game development ;)

CM was developed a long time ago, today there are other operating systems, powerful processors, etc. As I understand it, the game can not use the power of multi-core processors, in addition, there are compatibility problems, etc. for Example, now I run on a new computer (Win 10, Ryzen 7, 32 GB) and 6 leagues loaded about 12 minutes.. In addition, the game events are processed very slow. So I had the some thoughts.

It would be very good if: (A few points for example)

The game could use the power of modern PCs
Compatibility issues are gone
Bring all leagues to a modern look (thanks Saturn, yes, but i about new CL, LE etc)
Improve the AI (Yes, you know it's very dumb, especially if we talk about transfers, rotation, etc.)
And to improve other things, the list can be discussed

How to do this? As I understand it, the game was made free, the community modifies it and there are no right problems.
As I wrote above, I'm not a programmer and I don't understand anything about it.
Therefore, unfortunately, I can not estimate the amount of work and its cost. However, I'm willing to pay. For example, someone creates a crowdfunding project and we collect money. I do not think that it will be a big problem to paid for 10-20-30 euros, for example. The most difficult thing is to find someone who can organize it and do it. Maybe we should go to the developers and ask for the source code and their records, I don't know..

Once again, I'm not suggesting making a completely new game, I'm only suggesting slightly improving it without changing its essence. I do not like modern managers, absolutely do not like.

Discuss

Dermotron
17-07-19, 11:04 AM
I honestly think for crowdfunding to work and for SI Games to actually do the work, north of a 1m might get it done.

Why so much? The source code for CM0102 is still used in the FM games, so the FM guys would need to create a rival product that undermines their current variation of CM0102 (on their minds) FM Mobile. And genuinely, making those changes would make CM0102 a saleable game again (for a time anyhow). So to make it cost less to get a freshened up version, it would need to be monetizable for them, e.g. host on Steam or possibly only playable through a server similar to a poker client. Not the worst but once they are bored we'd have a version of CM0102 (or CM1920) that we couldn't edit.

Having been part of a few emails back and forth to Mark Vaughan, a lot of the tools and methods to update the game originally were never kept. They simply wrote new code for the next variation and bolted it on. This means there might not even exist the original source code for CM. Maybe one of the Collyers has it on a HD somewhere.

I think a weekly Euromillion's syndicate might be more successful :D

unspace
17-07-19, 11:17 AM
I honestly think for crowdfunding to work and for SI Games to actually do the work, north of a 1m might get it done.

Lol, I was thinking of numbers with 4 zeros at most xD They still use the source code? Very strange..
No, I knew my idea was a little crazy...Of course, I don't know how it works, but today people are doing 3D indie projects alone. And they are quite complex.
That's sad. Probably, it would be possible to just make a new game that used existing databases (simply put - a copy of the CM), but, as I understand it, there will be problems with the copyright holders.

P.S. I live in Russia, Euromillion's not for me, so, wrong way also xD

info0
20-07-19, 12:58 PM
Well, there is Football Manager Touch. It's basically what everyone here wants, but they are too stubborn to even give it a try. It's oversimplified Football Manager, without a lot of full game mechanics gone (no interviews, no need to hassle with training regimes or morale swings, etc.)

Sentiment towards CM for me is long gone.

But being a realist: can't be done. Source code is either gone or is still being partially used for Mobile version of the game. It would be easier to make the game from scratch than to get source code to play around with. It has been 20 years since game released. How time flies :D.

samsami
20-07-19, 03:38 PM

Why so much? The source code for CM0102 is still used in the FM games, so the FM guys would need to create a rival product that undermines their current variation of CM0102 (on their minds) FM Mobile. And genuinely, making those changes would make CM0102 a saleable game again (for a time anyhow). So to make it cost less to get a freshened up version, it would need to be monetizable for them, e.g. host on Steam or possibly only playable through a server similar to a poker client. Not the worst but once they are bored we'd have a version of CM0102 (or CM1920) that we couldn't edit.

Having been part of a few emails back and forth to Mark Vaughan, a lot of the tools and methods to update the game originally were never kept. They simply wrote new code for the next variation and bolted it on. This means there might not even exist the original source code for CM. Maybe one of the Collyers has it on a HD somewhere.

I think a weekly Euromillion's syndicate might be more successful :D

Apparently it's still possible to write new code and bolt it on. At least to some degree:

https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11900

SteveV
21-07-19, 01:47 PM
Well, there is Football Manager Touch. It's basically what everyone here wants, but they are too stubborn to even give it a try. It's oversimplified Football Manager, without a lot of full game mechanics gone (no interviews, no need to hassle with training regimes or morale swings, etc.)

Yes, but there are no killer tactics that guarantee you can win 90% of your games with any bunch of donkeys, THIS is what people actualy want :)