PDA

View Full Version : Tactics in CM99/00

jsparker23
11-04-20, 03:30 PM
So I dug out CM99/00 this weekend. I had a very successful game with York using the infamous 3-1-3-3 tactic that seems to work in all the CM3 games. However, I started a new game with Oxford this weekend and none of the obvious tactics seem to work.

3-1-3-3 didn't work at all
4-4-2 only worked against weaker teams
5-3-2 or 5-2-1-2 didn't work much at all (even though I got hammered by another team playing this formation)
I even tried Sweeper and that worked a little bit but not consistently and I didn't score enough goals
Even wibwobing my tactics didn't work (Southampton wibwobed against me in the cup so if AI teams can do it, I don't see it as cheating) - using the age old rules of "close the gaps" and "make triangles".

Is anyone else using this game? It's literally the hardest of all this series of games for me. I can't get anything to work. Please help!

mckellar
11-04-20, 08:50 PM
So I dug out CM99/00 this weekend. I had a very successful game with York using the infamous 3-1-3-3 tactic that seems to work in all the CM3 games. However, I started a new game with Oxford this weekend and none of the obvious tactics seem to work.

3-1-3-3 didn't work at all
4-4-2 only worked against weaker teams
5-3-2 or 5-2-1-2 didn't work much at all (even though I got hammered by another team playing this formation)
I even tried Sweeper and that worked a little bit but not consistently and I didn't score enough goals
Even wibwobing my tactics didn't work (Southampton wibwobed against me in the cup so if AI teams can do it, I don't see it as cheating) - using the age old rules of "close the gaps" and "make triangles".

Is anyone else using this game? It's literally the hardest of all this series of games for me. I can't get anything to work. Please help!

I've always found 4-3-1-2 worked best for me on Cm99/00 or 4-2-1-3 depending on opposition and usually short passing with pressing. Never played with a DMC always an AMC.
No wib wobbing either.

leo37
09-05-20, 08:49 PM
This is by far the most toughest version of the cm3 series

Been playing a bit more of it recently what i noticed is

- Hidden data means more than actual visible player attributes(had a striker average a goal a game with awful finishing off the ball and heading stats whilst my other striker which had great attributes hardly scored in my team)
- Away games much tougher
- less goals in the match engine generally so games are always much tighter and same for the gap between bottom and top teams in the league
- Finding potent strikers is tough
- The exploits that work with cm01/02 don't work with this version

mckellar
13-05-20, 12:55 PM
When talking of potent strikers I always think of Andri Sigporsson,Kabba Samura and Allan Borgvardt to name a few.
The game is definitely more of a challenge especially in Europe when you have the likes of Barca and Inter in the CL each year and they seem to sign all the highly rated South Americans in the game without having the work permit situation.

I find Inter are my nemesis in this game,love to beat them.

leo37
14-05-20, 05:51 AM
cos i never played the game much when it was released I am unfamiliar with the cheat players or tactics etc

The match engine feels a lot different in this version than any other cm3 game

perhaps it's exploitable when you know what areas of the pitch are overpowered but from things i seen wide play is more potent on this version but also you can create good narrow wing back or one wide midfielder formations also

weird thing is players with what you would see as 'crap attributes' on cm0102 can perform really well on cm9900. Strikers with no stand out attribute avr 1 goal a game or defenders with average physicals and not great defensive attributes being rocks at the back.

I guess it's main charm for me is it feels very different to all the others but I wouldn't say it was any better or worse than the other versions of the series CM01/02 is certainly the most polished and cm00/01 has the best use of manager ai i think with funky formations (if you non wibwobbing) and best version for having 2 potent striker formations.