PDA

View Full Version : Change 1 Rule in Football?

BeezerCeltic1967
24-02-13, 09:29 AM
what would it be,
or add a new one, what would that be?

BeezerCeltic1967
24-02-13, 07:10 PM
:tumble:
:lol:

Coys
24-02-13, 07:12 PM
The last man rule inside the penalty area. I think a penalty is punishment enough. As you saw today in the League Cup final.

Spudiator
24-02-13, 07:45 PM
I'd change the offside rule and simplify it, the way it used to be, so if you're offside, you're offside irrespective of what's going on, none of this "active in play" bullshit.

info0
24-02-13, 07:48 PM
Away goals advantage. Would open up games more instead of playing for draw/hoping for best mentality away from home in cups. ;)

churky
24-02-13, 07:52 PM
Zero points for both teams in case the match ends 0-0.

BeezerCeltic1967
24-02-13, 08:28 PM
amazing what a :tumble: can do :lol:

i haven't even said mine yet..

Goofy
24-02-13, 08:46 PM
Retrospective banning for players who dive. 1 match ban the first time the player does it, 2 match ban the next time, 3 match ban the next time and so on. Sick fed up of watching a bunch of cheating bastards falling all over the place

technoir
24-02-13, 09:14 PM
9 subs and 5 allowed

Kingsley
24-02-13, 10:38 PM
Not a rule that I would change, but one that I wouldn't introduce .....

Goal line technology NO NO NO NO NO

The great thing about sport in general, and football in particular is being able to discuss and argue at great length about decisions and whether they were right or not. How many hours of argument would there not have been about a Russian linesman (who clearly got it wrong) in 1966 that just would not have happened if a little buzzer had sounded (or more likely not sounded). And that is just one example. Pundits will be out of work (possibly not a bad thing) and managers will have to start blaming their players rather than the easy option of the ref.

The second argument against is that if there is one thing that a supporter likes almost as much as winning is feeling hard done by. Take that away and you take away a lot of what I love.

Alan
24-02-13, 11:29 PM
So you think that if a team scores perfectly legitimate goal that isn't give that is okay, because it gives the fans something to talk about?

djole2mcloud
24-02-13, 11:36 PM
few years ago Americans wanted to decrease number of players from 11 to 10...they also suggested that goal should be 10 meters wide...

ozRooster
25-02-13, 12:53 AM
I would like to see melee weapons and lightweight body armour introduced, really spice things up on the pitch.....

Dermotron
25-02-13, 01:02 AM
The biggest problem with goal line technology or video ref is the chance for the likes of Sky to 'Americanize' the breaks in play by getting a commercial or 2 in when there's need for a review - it's not long ago there was rumour's of changing the game to quarters for that purpose alone.

I'd take anything over those 2 dummies on the line in the European comp games.. Matri got credited with the goal for Juve against Celtic but the goal was only given after Marchisio's follow-up - that sort of thing shouldn't be getting missed.

I'd be with Goofy on the bans for diving. A Citing Committee similar to Rugby Union would cut it out a fair bit - even though you'll still have the same volume of diving in the box imo, but should cut it down in the general play.

No substitutions after 85th minute be something I'd add. 95% of substitutes after this time is a time wasting exercise.

Kingsley
25-02-13, 02:21 PM
So you think that if a team scores perfectly legitimate goal that isn't give that is okay, because it gives the fans something to talk about?

Being absolutely honest ...... YES. Football without some sort of controversy would soon get dull

Osprey17
03-03-13, 09:33 PM
Having the referee microphone broadcast live during games with retrospective punishments on players for any abuse aimed at the referee or other players that is picked up by it. Similar to what happens in rugby and other sports.

The result would have 3 benefits.

1. No more incidents like the Mark Clattenburg one we had earlier in the season.
2. Increased clarity in understanding the thinking behind calls the referee makes at the time, rather than after the game with dozens of replays showing rights/wrongs of the decision.
3. Increased respect for referees from players for fear of punishment from football associations who will in turn be under pressure from television companies to encourage better behaviour or risk losing tv deals. No network will be want to be seen being funding a game that is not family friendly.

BeezerCeltic1967
03-03-13, 09:43 PM
yeah, having mics on ref's would be a great idea :ok:
would love to hear some of the chat :lol:
who was the ref that did it once and tony adams gave him pelters :lol:

Alan
03-03-13, 10:10 PM
David Ellery

youngwolf
04-04-13, 04:58 PM
Anyone apart from the captain talking to the ref without permission sent off. That would stop Arsenal (just an example) players surrounding the ref when things aren't going their way...

316'sRegen
04-04-13, 05:22 PM
Chelsea don't you mean?

I reckon we should learn something from the French and have a "dickhead of the season" type award bestowed on a player.
Rivaldo holding his face when the ball hit his knee in the WC, that Balotelli guy for myriad reasons, even Zidane could have been in on this one for his headbutt :lol:

The overpaid spice boys could do with something like this to instill a bit of humility, no-one would want to be FIFA dickhead of the year after all :D

Erkifino
05-04-13, 04:14 PM
Anyone apart from the captain talking to the ref without permission sent off. That would stop Arsenal (just an example) players surrounding the ref when things aren't going their way...Barcelona would be screwed!

I reckon we should learn something from the French and have a "dickhead of the season" type award bestowed on a player.
Rivaldo holding his face when the ball hit his knee in the WC, that Balotelli guy for myriad reasons, even Zidane could have been in on this one for his headbutt :lol:

The overpaid spice boys could do with something like this to instill a bit of humility, no-one would want to be FIFA dickhead of the year after all :D
Joey Barton would win it every year. Even after he retired from playing!

Pacino
05-04-13, 04:58 PM
Limit transfers to maximum 3 players per season in every club!

Coys
05-04-13, 05:36 PM
Limit transfers to maximum 3 players per season in every club!

Just no...

Trust_in_Klopp
14-06-14, 06:05 PM
few years ago Americans wanted to decrease number of players from 11 to 10
http://a1.s6img.com/cdn/0017/p/6195019_2723766_lz.jpg

In 1970 the average Brazilian footballer ran 4km in a game. Today it’s 10km, which means space has reduced greatly. It has stifled creativity because no one has enough time on the ball. Given these changes, I think the game should be played with just nine players on each side, to recreate the spirit the game is meant to be played in

Dermotron
14-06-14, 10:36 PM
They only ran 4km cos the keepers had the ball for 90% of the time the ball was in play until the back pass rule was changed/abolished

Trust_in_Klopp
14-06-14, 10:41 PM
They only ran 4km cos the keepers had the ball for 90% of the time the ball was in play until the back pass rule was changed/abolished

lol

I forgot about that rule change...I was a bit confused about the way that was worded.

Socrates is right though about less players on the field giving players more room to work with though...

I think the rules are fine the way they are though.....the sport just needs refs to enforce the current rules properly.

I want to see more yellow cards for flops....If there is a foul IN THE BOX it should be a PK (not a free kick outside the box if the foul was within 3 yards of the box or whatever these unwritten rules are some refs go by)

Fods
15-06-14, 01:08 AM
lol

I forgot about that rule change...I was a bit confused about the way that was worded.

Socrates is right though about less players on the field giving players more room to work with though...

I think the rules are fine the way they are though.....the sport just needs refs to enforce the current rules properly.

I want to see more yellow cards for flops....If there is a foul IN THE BOX it should be a PK (not a free kick outside the box if the foul was within 3 yards of the box or whatever these unwritten rules are some refs go by)

:shocked:

Trust_in_Klopp
15-06-14, 01:14 AM
haha

I'm pretty sure flops fall into the category of unsportsmanlike conduct

this is why there need to be more refs with experience as a player...game experience as a player makes it easier to be objective about that sort of thing

Fods
15-06-14, 01:16 AM
Im sure that if there is a foul in the box the ref gives a penalty and not a free kick outside the box...

Trust_in_Klopp
15-06-14, 01:23 AM
I used to see that a lot back in the day..it was a bit of an exaggeration when I said '3 yards' but you get the idea...I can't give you any examples at the moment but I know I've seen this at least 30+ times...probably not at the pro level

What I said about the flopping and yellow cards is something that I can't stress enough though

Fods
15-06-14, 01:30 AM
I dont think its an unwritten rule its just the interpretation of the officials as to whether they felt the foul was inside or outside the box

Trust_in_Klopp
15-06-14, 02:14 AM
I dont think its an unwritten rule its just the interpretation of the officials as to whether they felt the foul was inside or outside the box

I always figured when that happens the ref isn't 100% sure he made the right call ...sort of a way cover your ass and please both sides as much as possible

Trust_in_Klopp
15-06-14, 02:22 AM
I guess that whole 'in the box' thing isn't really that much of a problem.. personal experiences just clouding my judgement

as far as actual rule changes...I'd like to see the use of drop-balls expanded for reasons other than what it is currently used for ...any ideas?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IuhiNO5CCQ8/Tv-YAAo_EDI/AAAAAAAAAHs/Nzf2viXANAw/s1600/soccer-drop-ball-rule.jpg

Nurishi
17-06-14, 03:47 PM
Get rid of the offside-rule. Seriously.

Dermotron
17-06-14, 03:49 PM
Ah here. The game would be 5 lads from each team standing in each box thumping longs balls back and forth.

merkezekrem
18-06-14, 09:52 AM
I like the goalline tech so far, quick and still lots of controversy about it.

I would like to stop the move of the defenders protecting the ball that is going out for a goal kick. I dont think that kind of ball control isn't allowed anywhere else on the pitch.

JLa
18-06-14, 02:43 PM
Anyone apart from the captain talking to the ref without permission sent off. That would stop Arsenal (just an example) players surrounding the ref when things aren't going their way...

Great suggestion!

Red cards for poor performance! "You missed from there?!? You don't deserve to be here, get out!" :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK1S59Jbpiw

Trust_in_Klopp
18-06-14, 09:15 PM
I like the goalline tech so far, quick and still lots of controversy about it.

I would like to stop the move of the defenders protecting the ball that is going out for a goal kick. I dont think that kind of ball control isn't allowed anywhere else on the pitch.

There doesn't need to be a rule change for that....they just need to force the rule that already exists (obstruction)

Redknapp69
21-06-14, 10:40 PM
take a look at the egg catchers........

no diving/feigning injuries, respect for ref, video ref decisions work well, supporters sit with each other as they are not fucking idiots etc etc etc

Craig Forrest
21-06-14, 11:13 PM
take a look at the egg catchers........

no diving/feigning injuries, respect for ref, video ref decisions work well, supporters sit with each other as they are not fucking idiots etc etc etc

You can say the same about hockey....

faz44
29-06-14, 12:03 PM
Not so much a rule as a tool but vanishing spray has been a success for many years at stopping walls encroaching and players stealing yards on free kicks. It's also been a success during the World Cup. Let's see UEFA push it out across European competitions and all the top divisions in Europe.

Rapinoe
13-07-14, 06:59 AM
Three things I can't decide between.

1, add a second ref. Less likely I think that two refs will mis-see something.

2, once per match, a coach can request a review of a ref's call - e.g. like today, the non-penalty + yellow card for diving on Oscar. Ideally limited to potential penalty situations and perhaps potential red-card situations. And to discourage frivolous use of this, if you request a review, and the review shows that the ref's decision was correct, the opposing team gets a penalty kick.

3, when the whistle is blown e.g. for a foul, or if the ball goes into touch, the clock stops, and is only restarted when the ball is put back into play. This should eliminate late-game timewasting to protect a one goal lead by dallying with a throw-in, for ex.

faz44
13-07-14, 12:35 PM

I've heard similar things said about basketball. To get back to the game as it was originally, they need to remove one player per team from the court.

Rapinoe
13-07-14, 12:45 PM
Actually that bit about removing a player could probably apply to hockey too... the players everywhere have gotten bigger and stronger and faster. If you could send the Canadian women's NT back in time to Wembley 1953, they'd beat England 6:3...

Dermotron
14-07-14, 09:26 AM
Removing a player would create more space in theory but also make it easier to defend. 442 become 441 so 4 defenders marking 1 instead of 2. Teams would just sacrifice a striker instead of a defender so whilst creating more space it's removing the player to use that space.