PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: Finding the hidden CM folder on Vista and Windows 7

Aula
03-03-12, 09:05 PM
So you're using Vista... this isn't the end of the world. Granted, it can be more frustrating than other operating systems but you get used to it pretty fast...

Vista has this annoying habit of creating a hidden CM folder on your computer. Rumour has it that if you install and run your games as an admin, it doesn't do this, but I've never actually tried so I have no idea.

Inside the hidden folder, among other files, will be a copy of your data folder (which can be an issue if you are trying to update your data but notice nothing has changed when you start a new game) and your saved games. Having your saved games here can also cause an issue sometimes if you are trying to delete or overwrite an existing save as it has this habit of not letting you do it. The easiest solution is to just manually delete the file in question.

To find the hidden Vista folder, follow these steps:

Click on my computer. On the left side of the screen you will see a folder with your user name (something like Craig Forrest or whatever name you use on your computer)

Double click on that folder>>click on the folder in there called AppData (it is usually a hidden folder so make sure you have 'view hidden files and folders' turned on)>>click on local>>click on VirtualStore>>click on Program Files and in there you should see a folder called CM0102

To be able to see hidden folders:

Go to the top menubar (File, Edit, View, Favourites, Tools, Help) and click on tools, then folder options..., then the tab that says view, then click the button that says 'show hidden files and folders'

​By Craig Forrest