PDA

View Full Version : Gaelic Games

Dermotron
30-05-13, 03:27 PM
"The Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) (Irish: Cumann Lúthchleas Gael (CLG)) is an Irish and international amateur sporting and cultural organisation, focused primarily on promoting Gaelic games, which include the traditional Irish sports of hurling, camogie, Gaelic football, handball and rounders. The GAA also promotes Irish music and dance, and the Irish language."

Hurling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE

Football

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEAbWrdB9XU

(Gaelic games also includes Gaelic Handball which for the most part is the same as American Handball and rounders. Camogie is the female version of Hurling. Women also compete in the Ladies Football Championship)

Scoring:
Point = 1ps
Goal = 3pts

Eg. 4-17 = 29pts, 1-21 = 24pts, 4-8 = 20pts etc.

Provinces & Counties - the 6 counties of Northern Ireland compete in the All-Ireland and Ulster Hurling and Football Championships

Leinster:
Dublin
Kilkenny
Wexford
Wicklow
Kildare
Laois
Offaly
Longford
Meath
Westmeath
Louth

Munster:
Kerry
Cork
Limerick
Clare
Waterford
Clare

Ulster:
Antrim
Armagh
Fermanagh
Derry
Tyrone
Down
Monaghan
Donegal
Cavan

Connacht:
Galway
Mayo
Sligo
Roscommon
Leitrim

* New York and London enter the All-Ireland Football Championship via the Connacht Football Championship whilst London enter the All-Ireland Hurling Championship via the Leinster Hurling Championship.

* Due to the gap in talent between the top hurling and lesser counties, the numbers competing in the All-Ireland Hurling Championship is significantly lower than football/total counties. Thus Galway and Antrim compete in the Leinster Hurling Championship to remain competitive and for travel purposes.

*Kilkenny are the only county to not enter the All-Ireland Football Championship

All-Ireland Titles

Hurling

34 - Kilkenny
30 - Cork
26 - Tipperary
7 - Limerick
6 - Dublin
6 - Wexford
4 - Galway
4 - Offaly
3 - Clare
2 - Waterford
1 - London
1 - Laois
1 - Kerry

Football

36 - Kerry
23 - Dublin
9 - Galway
7 - Cork
7 - Meath
5 - Cavan
5 - Wexford
5 - Down
4 - Kildare
4 - Tipperary
3 - Mayo
3 - Offaly
3 - Louth
3 - Tyrone
2 - Roscommon
2 - Donegal
2 - Limerick
1 - Armagh
1 - Derry

Each Province has their own Provincial Championship. The 4 winners in Football go to the All-Ireland Football Championship Quarter Finals. In Hurling there are essentially only 2 Provincial Championships, Leinster & Munster. The winners of each go to the All-Ireland Semi Final. Both Football and Hurling Championships have a Qualifiers Series to allow counties that have lost their first game a chance to progress again. This was introduced to give a county more than 1 game per year.

Dermotron
30-05-13, 03:36 PM
Reigning Champions

Leinster: Galway
Munster: Tipperary
Ulster: Antrim
Connacht: N/A

All-Ireland: Kilkenny

Fixtures & Results

Leinster

Preliminary Round:

Westmeath 2-13 Antrim 3-18

Round 1:

Carlow 4-17 London 2-13

Laois 1-16 Antrim 0-13

Quarter Final

Laois 2-18 Carlow 0-13
Offaly 4-09 Kilkenny 0-26
Wexford V Dublin

Semi Final:

Galway V Laois
Kilkenny V Wexford/Dublin

Munster

Quarter Final

Clare 2-20 Waterford 1-15

Semi Final

Limerick 1-18 Tipperary 1-15
Clare/Waterford V Cork

Ulster:

Quarter Final

Down V Armagh

Semi Final

Down/Armagh V Derry

Final

Antrim V Semi Final Winner

Dermotron
30-05-13, 03:47 PM
Reigning Champions

Leinster:Dublin
Munster: Kerry
Ulster:Donegal
Connacht:Mayo

All-Ireland: Donegal

Fixtures & Results

Leinster

Round 1:

Westmeath 3-15 Carlow 1-10
Laois 1-06 Louth 1-16
Wicklow 1-15 Longford 0-16

Quarter Final

Offaly 1-12 Kildare 0-19
Wexford 2-13 Louth 1-15
Dublin 1-22 Westmeath 0-09
Wicklow V Meath

Munster

Quarter Final

Limerick 0-08 Cork 3-18
Kerry 2-18 Tipperary 0-08

Semi Final

Kerry 4-21 Waterford 1-4
Clare V Cork

Ulster:

Round 1

Cavan 1-15 Armagh 1-11

Quarter Final

Donegal 2-10 Tyrone 0-10
Derry 1-15 Down 2-17
Antrim 0-06 Monaghan 0-11
Fermanagh V Cavan

Connacht

Quarter Final

New York 0-07 Leitrim 4-19
Galway 0-11 Mayo 4-16
London 1-12 Sligo 0-14

Semi Final

Mayo V Roscommon
Leitrim V London

Erkifino
31-05-13, 04:29 PM
Considering the training they do, I can't believe it's classed as an amateur sport!!

Dermotron
31-05-13, 05:46 PM
It's crazy, 4-5 days a week. The average age of a team is coming down dramatically.

The majority of Kilkenny lads that are brought into the panel the last few years are single and working near enough to Kilkenny. There are a few better options (panel wise anyhow) but they have families and stuff and just can't put in the commitment.

Batmankoff
31-05-13, 06:36 PM
Ooh GAA thread, sweet, good work Dermo... So, discussion? Being an Armagh fan's some craic then, I might get to see one more championship game and that's the lot by the looks of it...

Erkifino
31-05-13, 10:04 PM
h'on the tribesmen!!!

Dermotron
31-05-13, 10:36 PM
I'll be leaving the football chat to the rest of ye, tis not even a sport here. Id say there's easily more lads playing handball here than football.

Won the soccer version of the all-ireland 5 times though (oscar traynor trophy)

Batmankoff
31-05-13, 11:25 PM
Yeah, well, in all fairness Ulster isn't exactly renowned for its hurling, and with Armagh's recent performances football doesn't seem to give me any hope, oh well. I'll just have to admire the other counties for this year...

colml
31-05-13, 11:31 PM
Hon Westmeath!
Time to give the dubs a right rattling :D

Great thread btw Dermo.

Dermotron
31-05-13, 11:36 PM
I'll have €5 on each of those wing forwards for the craic. Gonna be nursing a hangover (Cat Laughs Comedy festival on this weekend) though so football be low on the list of viewing choices!

Armagh gonna take a bit of time to replace the Crossmaglen boys, both on the pitch and mentally. Is Ronan Clarke still going?

colml
31-05-13, 11:38 PM
http://www.fantasygaelic.ie
For all you fantasy football junkies out there, try fantasy gaelic.

Batmankoff
01-06-13, 12:29 AM
Ronan Clarke is plagued with injury

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/latest-injury-setback-rules-clarke-out-of-grimley-s-plans-1.550336

He's not going to be playing this season for sure, he was trying to get back at club level but he's not there yet, at 29 it looks unlikely that he'll ever play for seriously for Armagh again, with his injury history unfortunately. Shame was a damn fine player. Let me know how the Cat Laughs goes actually, I do a bit of stand-up myself wasn't able to go down for it this year, I hope it goes well

Dermotron
01-06-13, 10:55 AM
Sky were late sponsors this year but about twice the numbers expected already this year, most shows sold out (plenty of shows were being sold on the door last year). Next year could be spectacular with Sky's backing. Should see the likes of the Mock of the Week panel and stuff back next year. No sponsor for 2 yrs previous so great it didnt get shelved.

Clarke wont get over those injuries Id say. Achilles needs nearly full time care to correct properly. Pro's might be able to afford the time to get it fixed but amateurs not a hope

colml
01-06-13, 11:31 PM
Never mind

Dermotron
04-06-13, 12:02 PM
Not many shocks this weekend.

Clare starting to bring the youth through, good to see.

colml
04-06-13, 12:38 PM
Yep, Clare looking good for the future. Tony Kelly looks like a real prospect. Waterford have some nice young hurlers coming through too.

Dermotron
04-06-13, 12:47 PM
They do but still reliant on Seamus Prendergast to win primary ball in the forwards. The fact he's was barely mentioned in the 2nd half shows how to stop Waterford rather too easily.

colml
09-06-13, 08:09 PM
My local club played the county champions, Mullingar Shamrocks, yesterday but lost :( the ref was :censored:
Garrycastle, Leinster champions last year, beaten by 11 points today :shocked:

Dermotron
10-06-13, 10:23 AM
Kilkenny conceding 4 goals to Offaly was a surprise but 3 of them were awful individual blunders as opposed to worrying all round play.

Limerick Vs Tipp was a decent match in the heat. Tipp look leaderless. Seamus Callanan on frees with Kelly on the bench and Pa Bourke only playing due to Forde's illness, doesn't make sense. Pa Bourke seems to be getting a raw deal.

colml
10-06-13, 11:45 AM
I was watching that alright, decent game enough. Wexford beating Louth in the football was a bit of a surprise. Ben Brosnan scored 5 or 6, should do well for me on fantasy gaelic :D

Dermotron
10-06-13, 11:57 AM
Wexford have a decent full forward line. That goal from Diarmuid Lyng was class

colml
13-06-13, 02:53 PM
Ciaran Lyng, not Diarmuid. I remember well, he scored about 2-5 against us a few years ago

colml
18-06-13, 07:07 PM
That fella on the Sunday game gave Wexford an awful slating, said he felt disgusted after the match. I was disgusted too, I hate seeing Dublin winning anything :D

Centurion
27-06-13, 03:03 PM
Up the Rebels!!! Going to win both Munster Championships this year!

Batmankoff
30-06-13, 06:29 PM
Decent win for the Orchardmen against Wicklow (2-21 - 0-2) nice to see Jamie Clark getting a couple of goals... I still can't really get my hopes up for anything more than 1-2 more matches before they're dumped out though, once there's some stronger opposition I think it'll all be over for Armagh for another year, oh well, I'll just watch this on loop and content myself with the past

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqmjhAlonS8

colml
30-06-13, 10:19 PM
London are through to the connacht final for the first time in their history. Mayo will be shaking in their boots :lol:

Dermotron
01-07-13, 10:28 AM
Watched not 1 but 2 football matches yesterday! Well 1.5 as missed the 2nd half of Dublin Vs Kildare.

1st game was enjoyable compared to some of the tripe that's been on TV from Ulster this year but the quality of the football wasn't great. If teams are going to play and open game and use the boot a lot, you'd imagine they put in more time practicing. Basic kicking mistakes. Too much time hand passing in the decade after the late 90's catching up with teams?

Dub V Kil was great up until Brogan's goal on half-time. Was no need to watch to the 2nd half to know what would happen. For all the training these guys put in rolling over like they did must be a worry for Kildare.

As to my own county, it's up to us to beat the old enemy in our own backyard on Sunday. People will ask is it a demise, I'd say no. But there is something that people have final used there 2 eyes to see - Kilkenny's physicality is actually toughness, not size. They must have easily been average 20lbs and 2 inches height difference to Dublin but in fairness it's been that way for a couple of years. Without Shefflin or Fennelly or even a Martin Comerford type forward, for all the talented forwards we have just don't retain enough ball. They will tackle from the front relentlessly but you need some possession to make it tell on both ends of the score board. People are blindly seeing what they want (but that's true in any sport when any great team falters) but the truth is, the defence is not preforming as well it was simply because they are doing 3 or 4 times the work as previous years. Would be worried in that regard on Sunday but Tipp will probably start with Corbett and Callanan and the 2 of them are 2 much of a luxury to have in a forward line.

colml
06-07-13, 04:49 PM
Hon westmeath minors! Another day in croker for us this year :)

colml
13-07-13, 10:41 PM
What a game in semple stadium today! Dermo, were you at it? In fairness, kk should have won in normal time, that was an absolutely terrible call by the ref. Every time waterford got a goal, kk instantly replied and I think thats what won it for them.

Dermotron
26-08-13, 10:07 PM
Well, I let this thread die an awful death :lol:

Hurling Championship has been awesome even if we were openly screwed in in public by Barry Kelly (Westmeath lads for ya, wha!! :P). Come one Clare!!

And the football has been great from the quarter finals. Love that the attacking teams are making a mockery of negative football. Stop the flow to 3 man forward lines, can't score. Was only a matter of time before 'The Donegal' tactic fell apart. Match on Sunday should be great but Kerry only seem to have about 45 minutes in them

colml
29-09-13, 11:42 PM
That was some match yesterday. I was at the westmeath semi-finals today, John Heslin scored 2-16 including a goal 6 mins into injury time. Crazy:eek:

Dermotron
24-10-13, 09:40 AM
Galway hurler Niall Donoghue dies suddenly aged 22 :(

Fucking hell, 22. Sudden adult death syndrome.

EDIT: Suicide unfortunately :(

Dermotron
14-01-14, 05:35 PM
Gotta love Waterford Whispers News :D

WWN has learnt of the sad plight currently being endured by a prominent inter-county footballer.

The Dublin footballer, whose identity is not yet known, is believed to be struggling under the weight of having slept with pretty much every single woman in his local community.

A source close to the footballer spoke exclusively to WWN about this worrying development. “He’s had the pick of the girls, you know, since he’s been kicking a ball but those waters have been well and truly fished. There’s nothing left for him and it’s effecting his game.”

It is believed that following Dublin’s loss to DCU recently in the O’Brien Cup the unnamed player suffered the indignity of having to initiate conversation with some women in Coppers this past weekend.

“It is getting to him alright, he’s used to being lionised and that but the loss coupled with sleeping with everyone has meant he’s contemplating emigrating,” the source shockingly revealed to WWN.

It is believed a number of GAA players have emigrated in the hope of finding some Irish women they have yet to have a sexual encounter with.
“Some lads have set up GAA clubs abroad as a sort of calling card. It’s like a covert personals ad in the paper, a subtle way of attracting new women to their social circle,” explained one former player now living in Australia.
The Dublin player’s local club are believed to be doing everything in their power to make the player reconsider his move abroad.

“The selectors have asked him to watch the women’s minor team play just to see the talent coming through but I think his mind is made up” a teammate told WWN.

“The few weeks after the All-Ireland were fairly intense, having to employ a ticketed system for the female fans but that’s all died away. It’s really quite sad when you think about it,” concluded the source.

More to follow as we get it…

colml
27-01-14, 08:40 PM
I'll guess i'll keep this thread updated this year in regard to football. My own native Westmeath are away to cork this sunday. To be honest its hard to see them picking up any points this year. I reckon it'll be between Dublin and Mayo for division 1 this year, Donegal will probably win div 2, Cavan for div 3 and division 4 is a toss up.

Dermotron
27-01-14, 08:45 PM
Bringing herself (Westmeath woman) to KK Vs Tipp on 23rd. It will be her 1st hurling match. Best start swearing a lot now to get her prepared :D

Will anyone put it up to Dublin in Leinster ya reckon?

colml
27-01-14, 09:13 PM
If she lived here long enough she'd be used to the cursing!
No, can't see anyone getting near Dublin. Looking at the league, Westmeath and Kildare should be the teams to challenge them the most but they both have new managers, and imo Westmeath got a bit lucky to be promoted last year. Hopefully they can prove me wrong, but it's unlikely. A couple of the lads on the team are from my local club, one of them lives only a mile over the road, so i'll have a keen eye on them :)

colml
29-01-14, 08:57 PM
http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=208475 :lol:

Dermotron
29-01-14, 09:04 PM
:lol:

Sounds very familiar!

Dermotron
22-02-14, 03:49 AM
New Zealands view on hurling

https://scontent-b-vie.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1797407_711367325575080_1862943893_n.jpg

Going to Nowlan Park for Kilkenny Vs Tipp on Sunday. Always are great atmosphere

Dermotron
23-02-14, 11:26 PM
Kilkenny 5-20 Tipperary 5-14 :)

Some game

Henry Shefflin :hail:

http://balls.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/henry.gif

colml
02-03-14, 03:05 PM
Westmeath vs Derry today. Hard to see westmeath gaining any points in the league this year. Cork beat dublin last night, that was somewhat of a surprise

colml
02-03-14, 05:06 PM
Full time - Derry 3-16 Westmeath 0-12. :noidea: Another step backwards :cry:

Dermotron
02-04-14, 03:36 PM
:rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x9Lw23aHSNI

colml
02-04-14, 03:55 PM

Saw this yesterday as well. Controversial :D www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0104141252-black-card-/
The didn't put in the Happy April Fool's day part until today.

colml
06-05-14, 09:15 PM
:doh:
Sillyan O'Connor, Connocked :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlA2XwboWSI

Dermotron
01-06-14, 04:42 PM
Is the hurling on regular sky sports or just something like sky sports ireland?

colml
07-06-14, 07:49 PM
Loads of English lads going on about the hurling on twitter :lol:

Dermotron
07-06-14, 08:09 PM
Couldn't have picked a worse game to show. Kilkenny Junior team is better than Offaly. Even our woeful u21's

Dermotron
07-06-14, 08:59 PM
:lol: http://balls.ie/gaa/twitter-hurling-reaction/

Dermotron
07-06-14, 09:00 PM
:rofl:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpjQOiAIUAA01Vi.jpg:large

Dermotron
20-11-14, 12:05 PM
Sad day when one of the greatest retires, Tommy Walsh, what a legend.

colml
28-01-15, 02:13 PM
Right , the football league starts this saturday, here's my tips for promotion/relegation:
Div 1:
Winners: Dublin
Relegated: Derry, Monaghan

Div 2:
Promoted: Kildare, Meath
Relegated: Galway, Cavan

Div 3:
Promoted: Armagh, Wexford
Relegated: Sligo, Clare

Div 4:
Promoted: Offaly, Longford

Watch this space :)

Dermotron
28-01-15, 03:24 PM
Don't think we are bothering with it again this year, lol

colml
28-01-15, 04:09 PM
I'm not going to even try to predict the hurling, though Westmeath have a Kilkenny man over them this year so you never know.

colml
01-02-15, 07:23 PM
Disregard everything I predicted :lol:

colml
15-02-15, 10:54 PM
BOOM! I love a good shoulder :D

http://giant.gfycat.com/DimpledAncientBighornedsheep.gif

Dermotron
30-04-15, 05:32 PM
Roads outside the Ground quiz :lol:

http://balls.ie/football/279117-irish-grounds-quiz-road-outside/

Erkifino
30-04-15, 10:35 PM
Doing a prediction thing at work based GAA Football. I got as far as provincial champions, but how do they sort the All Ireland draw?

Dermotron
01-05-15, 08:40 AM
4 provincial winners play the 4 best from the qualifiers in the quarter finals. Stupid sport!!

Erkifino
01-05-15, 10:05 AM
The losers from each provincial final then?

As yes it is a stupid sport...

colml
01-05-15, 10:16 AM
Not necessarily the four losing finalists, they have to go through a round of qualifiers first. Best sport in the country :D

And got 4 right on Dermo's quiz, I've only ever been to three of them.

Dermotron
01-05-15, 10:20 AM
Best sport in the country :D

http://www.simplyabsurd.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ohnoyoudidnt.jpg

It's not far off cricket in terms of entertainment nowadays. 12 a-side would ruin the blank defences and bring back the only actual skill which is kicking the ball. The hand passing is like a really bad version of tiki taka. 3 hand pass in a row rule would sort it out, something like 3 catches in hurling.

colml
01-05-15, 10:31 AM
What's a cricket?

Erkifino
01-05-15, 01:25 PM
What's a cricket?

You use a stick to hit a ball... Kinda like hurling... :peep:

colml
01-05-15, 03:38 PM
Oh yeah, the lads that go inside when it starts raining. Like a shite version of hurling.

Erkifino
12-08-15, 10:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Aqyr433a4

8 week ban will hardly stand? In fact it'll probably drop quicker than yer man!!

colml
14-08-15, 07:34 PM
1 match ban would probably suffice, they're a bunch of wankers anyway though so I don't mind if its upheld

Dermotron
17-08-15, 09:43 AM
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11889508_1034071406611542_3201392066096872101_n.jp g?oh=aaa31c7bdcd7ad2f9805264750c1d885&oe=563921E5

colml
17-08-15, 05:07 PM
:lol: Spot on

Erkifino
17-08-15, 07:38 PM
We could do with an aul All Ireland... It's been a while...

Dermotron
17-08-15, 09:10 PM
The minors will have a chance for one they shouldn't be in :whistle:

Dermotron
07-09-15, 10:19 AM
Get yourself over to Petmania Erk, all cat food 15% off today :lol:

Erkifino
08-09-15, 07:39 PM
Galwegians getting dog walking lessons to boot. Apparently we can't hold on to a lead! :lol:

Dermotron
08-09-15, 07:52 PM

I think its our last one for awhile (we'll be thereabouts of course), if ye find a way to play like the first half consistently no-one stop ye. Cunningham should have got ye to spread out, we got ye into a battle in a bottleneck and were never let ye out of it. Cannings first touch in the second wasnt til the 17th minute or something crazy like that. They showed a great graphic after the game, there was about 40yrds under the Cusack stand without a player in it for nearly 4 minutes. Shoud, have been 7-9 points up at half time but wasnt many goal chances mind you and we did give away 8 points (?) from frees.

At least both teams will put an end to the sweeper nonsense a few teams are trying to bring in.

colml
25-05-16, 09:44 PM
I'm not going to even try to predict the hurling, though Westmeath have a Kilkenny man over them this year so you never know.

Result of the year in Cusack Park tonight, Westmeath 1-11 Kilkenny 0-12 in the Leinster under 21 quarter final, Yop Westmeath!

Dermotron
25-05-16, 10:55 PM
Our u21 sides have been poor for a few years now. No idea why since at least one of the years up to the age tends to be a winning minor year.

Good year so far for Westmeath hurling :ok: Good to see a bit of progress from the likes of yourselves and Kerry :nod:

04-08-16, 01:11 PM
Limerick man through and through! Possibly the worst year for us in a long time! Some shocking stuff!

Dermotron
04-08-16, 01:19 PM
Yeah, ye seem to have hit a flat spot. Thought ye were going to kick on and be a yearly challenger a couple of years ago but hasn't gone that way at all.

What happened to Andrew O'Shaughnessy? Still relatively young

colml
04-08-16, 01:49 PM
Limerick hurling or football? I assume hurling...

04-08-16, 03:14 PM
I'd follow both of them but mainly hurling! Shaughs got dropped from the panel a few years back and retired from inter-county not long after. I know he had MS which probably didn't help but he is still playing for Kilmallock. One of the finest players we produced in recent years.

Dermotron
04-08-16, 03:51 PM
RIP Ducksie Walsh :(

Erkifino
03-09-17, 05:35 PM
29 freakin years. GAILLIMH ABÚ!