PDA

View Full Version : Players Positions

Phoss
26-07-12, 05:08 PM
How does it impact a player's performance playing him out of position? And is there a difference between playing an AMC as MC vs. playing a DC as Striker? I.e. does the "amount" of out-of-position matter?

g4vl4r
26-07-12, 05:51 PM
How does it impact a player's performance playing him out of position? And is there a difference between playing an AMC as MC vs. playing a DC as Striker? I.e. does the "amount" of out-of-position matter?

Well to be honest AMC can play MC. I find that using Left/right forwards in left/right attacking midfield better. Obviously DC want play well as a Striker. Another thing is the players attributes, a winger with great finishing could play just as good as a striker aswell as a winger. So it varies mostly.

Hope i helped

Phoss
26-07-12, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I've realized those things too. I was thinking more in actual code terms. What effect does it have on how the game is 'calculated' if you play someone out of position. E.g. will a FR drop from an 8 rating to a 7 rating if played as an AMR etc?

Topofthekop
27-07-12, 10:26 AM
Most of it depends on the attributes of the player. I am sure someone did a test and played a CF in the DC position as he had attributes that would work for the position and hey presto he didnt do too bad. I guess you could always try to retrain from a young age to make a player more versatile.

on a side note i always remember I used to HAVE to buy Azar Karadas on the original database as he could play CF/DC... Versatility was/and still is a great thing to have in a player.

Patinoz
27-07-12, 10:35 AM
there is a hidden attribute which is called "versatility" and determines how well the player is gonna do when played out of position.

Kenny Dalglish's Smile
27-07-12, 05:19 PM
Most of it depends on the attributes of the player. I am sure someone did a test and played a CF in the DC position as he had attributes that would work for the position and hey presto he didnt do too bad.

Almost right, it was Huntelaar with his position changed to be a DC in the editor instead of SC, but with the same stats, played up front. He played just as well as he ever does despite having the wrong position. It's stats over position every time. I Once noticed that I had a regen DC with the highest off the ball in my squad, and as a DC he had good jumping and heading. I played him as SC for a season and he was a monster.

Topofthekop
27-07-12, 07:54 PM
knew it was something like that :D

Fiestita
27-07-12, 08:43 PM
I played a whole 5 seasons in a row using a S C as DM C due to his 19 in positioning and 18 in tackling. His qualys didn't drop from 7.60 in any of the seasons.

Even, I quite don't look on player's positions to assemble my squad, only look in their attributes.

generikov
21-09-12, 07:12 PM
It's probably got to do all with attributes, rather than the primary position of the player.

A striker with great tackling and defensive skills can play adept as a defender, and it goes the other way too - Any decent defender with high finishing, heading, shooting attributes can play equally well as a striker.

Anyway, I reckon there will be very few players who can play better 'out-of-position' than their preferred position.

mihaio07
01-11-12, 02:48 PM
I remember one of the editors (GK maybe) had scores (0 - 20) for a player's preferred position and side. For example, Thuram had 20 for defender, 20 for right and 20 for center. Zambrotta had something for left, something more for right.

How do you figure out a player's base / preferred position? Is it just by looking at relevant attributes? What about in subtle cases, like fullback vs wing back, attacking midfielder vs forward, and so on? Or most importantly, how do you figure whether a player's preferred position is Left or Right?
Furthermore, how does this preferred position influence the player? Is it better to have a very good player on a suboptimal position or a good player on an optimal position?

For example, I have always used forwards like Totti, Ronaldinho or Del Piero as offensive playmakers (in 4-4-2 formations) instead of using them as strikers, wingers or inside forwards. I have always used Gerrard on the wing, instead of in the center, and so on.

Trip
01-11-12, 05:40 PM
I haven't found a difference in the performance of left wingers on the right wing and vice versa, so don't be afraid to do that if the situation arises. In general, attributes are the thing to look at, though I have noticed a sort of a pattern for guys being played out of position to involve themselves less in the match occasionally.

Fiestita
05-11-12, 03:13 PM
Even considering an example player that plays as Striker Centre, but has 20 of positioning, I would really consider using him as DM C or D C. I advise to look only at atts.

zhiphius
11-11-12, 09:18 PM
I remember one of the editors (GK maybe) had scores (0 - 20) for a player's preferred position and side. For example, Thuram had 20 for defender, 20 for right and 20 for center. Zambrotta had something for left, something more for right.

How do you figure out a player's base / preferred position? Is it just by looking at relevant attributes? What about in subtle cases, like fullback vs wing back, attacking midfielder vs forward, and so on? Or most importantly, how do you figure whether a player's preferred position is Left or Right?
Furthermore, how does this preferred position influence the player? Is it better to have a very good player on a suboptimal position or a good player on an optimal position?

For example, I have always used forwards like Totti, Ronaldinho or Del Piero as offensive playmakers (in 4-4-2 formations) instead of using them as strikers, wingers or inside forwards. I have always used Gerrard on the wing, instead of in the center, and so on.

Hum, from personal experience i'd go with the stats as its stated in-game. a OM with arrow into a FC position should be handled by a OM/F-- player for example, but pure OM's and pure FC's can handle it just aswell too.

I did check players position stats several times just to see how positions affect the players performance.

The conclusion i reached is that there's way more factors just as, if not more, important than "wing back" "OM" stats etc. I do believe it has a effect on the player performance, but looking at the whole picture its less important than when looking at those stats specifically in order to gain that small boost to make your team a wee bit stronger. In theory 2 players with the same stats, but A has "wing back" and B doesnt, A will perform better in a "wing back" role. In practise: Player attributes -> position stats. Then see if either player perform to expectations.

finally: use your coaches and scouts, they sometimes do give useful hints to the players prefered position.
Just keep in mind there's alot of other factors at play when it comes to actual performance.

316'sRegen
19-11-12, 06:16 PM
you can always compare 2 selected players and it gives them both a star rating for each position the are capable of playing :ok:

mihaio07
21-11-12, 09:58 AM
you can always compare 2 selected players and it gives them both a star rating for each position the are capable of playing :ok:

Yes well, thought about that, but Ronaldinho for example has 5 stars all over. Where do you play him?

amaraziz
18-02-14, 04:32 PM
hi guys

i used to play cm back in 2002, now i'm reviving old memories. it's my first question here, hope it's not too silly

what consequences does it have to put a player in a position they are not assigned to? what i mean is - I have a player who is an AM L, and I play him as AM C or M C, or I have a DM C whom I put as MC (so the change involves position, side, or both)

do the player stats deteriorate because of this?
does it have any impact on their performance? (I haven't noticed any, but I guess there are too may factors to judge just by analyzing games)
does it have any impact on their morale?

or - in other words - if I had two players with exactly the same stats - say one AML, one SC, and I played them as SC - would the SC be better than AML in any way?

going further - another example if I have a reasonably good DL, but I dont play wing defs, would he be any good as DC, or is it better to sell him and get a proper DC?

all comments will be much appreciated

ebfatz
18-02-14, 04:35 PM
I've done it often without effect.

I figure if a players attributes are more suited to playing somewhere else then why not!

amaraziz
18-02-14, 04:55 PM
thanks for the quick reponse. I thought the same, but then again - doesn't it make the option to train a different side/position a bit useless?

ebfatz
18-02-14, 05:16 PM
I never use training or re train positions so I can't answer that one.

Goofy
18-02-14, 07:57 PM
thanks for the quick reponse. I thought the same, but then again - doesn't it make the option to train a different side/position a bit useless?

Depends on the player, i managed to retrain a beast of a regen from a SC to a DC because his defensive atts were awesome. I've also retrained Skalidis to AMC quite a few times with great results. High adaptability helps i think :)

Janis89
18-02-14, 08:08 PM
I think high versatility makes them retrain to their new position quicker. Obviously the higher the quicker could be from 3-4months if very high.

And I think it is high professionalism that don`t make them moan about being trained to a new position.
Retraining Ribery in a network game, and he is moaning about being trained to a new position.

De Rossi adapts very quick to a new position.

Tanzo85
19-02-14, 12:56 PM
Every time I've tried to Retrain someone into a new position/side they become unhappy with training. What's the best way to do it?

Sam
19-02-14, 01:06 PM
I've done it often without effect.

I figure if a players attributes are more suited to playing somewhere else then why not!

This is right imo. I play a centralised 3 in midfield in a 4-1-3-2 formation and if i'm Manchester United I have no problem playing Ryan Giggs on the left of the central 3 or Chadwick on the right (3.68) because they have the attributes to play there. I've even had them fill in at full back with no problems. It all depends on the player's attributes.

Janis89
19-02-14, 01:32 PM
Every time I've tried to Retrain someone into a new position/side they become unhappy with training. What's the best way to do it?

High proffesionalism keeps the player from being unhappy.

Not sure about which skill\trait that make a player retrain to his new position quicker. I know De Rossi retrains quick and does not complain. He has proffesionalism 17, but only 13 versatility.

Don`t think versatility means anything at all for retraining positions. James Rodriguez and Inigo Martinez retrains quick, Rodriguez has 8 versatility.

At least proffesionalism keeps them from getting unhappy :ok:

Tanzo85
19-02-14, 03:29 PM
I see. That makes sense in that it's down to the player themselves and their stats. I've tried to toggle between medium/intensive schedules to see if that worked as it probably could get boring doing something like that intensively.

ilovesanmarino
20-02-14, 12:44 PM
Versatility is the stat for new positions

Adaptability is the stat for learning foreign languages

The guide says there is a 10% penalty for each step/side out of position but many players have hidden abilities, for example a dmc should have 20/20 as dm and c but could have up to maybe 14/20 in any other positions and not show, he could have between 0 and 20 as an mc too, that will never show

In cm3 or cm99/00 retraining had no penalties and there was no reason NOT to add a new side/position to every routine, I even sabotarged utd by putting the entire team in gk trining once and they stayed in it after I left

In cm0102 retraining is a nightmare, they will always complain to some degree, even of just the occasional one, it seems to never work on anyone above 20 and they forget almost the day they stop (although that is funny if you sell to other clubs and their amc reverts to a dc) I do still retrain frequenty and have had a fl as flc up until he retired, he still bitched every six months

In game without retraining I seem to find defenders are least affected and playing antone as a forward even an amc with great stats, is pointless