PDA

View Full Version : Captains

Tarrovic
25-04-14, 06:09 PM
Hello everyone, can you help?

I've spent years comparing the influence and determination stats of each squad I've (mis)managed to come up with an inspirational captain who can lead the team to league and cup glory.

But am I wasting my time, does it make any difference at all?

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered but I'm new and always wondered whether my efforts to locate the next Bobby Moore were worth it or not - any feedback much appreciated.

Patinoz
25-04-14, 06:21 PM
Interesting question, don't think there has ever been any research on it.

You should test it. Run a couple seasons with a guy having 1 leadership as captain and 20

316'sRegen
25-04-14, 08:31 PM
The only thing I have ever noticed about it is that some players play shit when you give them the armband, even though they are great otherwise and may have the high Influence

Cam F
25-04-14, 08:50 PM
Maybe not but in my head they do!!! Zidane in the Zidane role plus captain, pens, corners & freekicks works for me.

ilovesanmarino
25-04-14, 11:05 PM
I am sure the CM3 guidebook said a captain needed to be 28+ with high influence and teamwork, no explanation was given as to why.
Whereas the CM0102 guide says nothing about the age, but needs influence and positioning, saying he gives a positioning boost to all players. I have zero evidence this is true, and not everything in the guidebook is.
I do know one thing for certain, which is if the captain is unhappy, you can get a report from your assistant saying he had a negative influence on the team. If he actually does or not, I cant say.

I do believe that if your team is crap, with low morale, and you need them to drag themselves out of it, but just can't get them to do it, this does coincide with a crap captain. But really there are many other factors it could be.

316'sRegen
25-04-14, 11:14 PM
Reports of a negative influence on the team aren't reserved for captains, I've seen that more when players are huffing with the manager due to perceived bad treatment.

Interesting that it says there is a positioning boost to all players, the captain then organises the team to line up better. Seeing as positioning has been shown to be the most important stat in the game, that is massive, so the answer would be "hell yeah"

A boost to the whole team in positioning is big, so the right captain would be very important then.

Tarrovic
26-04-14, 07:52 AM
Thanks for all the responses, I'll run some seasons early next week with captains with different attributes/ages and see what happens, I think I'm with you though Cam F in that I want it to be important at least in my own head!

Thanks again and I will let you know if I find anything useful out.

Dermotron
26-04-14, 09:15 AM
I tend to buy a GK with high influence. This is more likely down to general laziness than anything though. I rotate whatever squad I have pretty much every game so the captain never stays the same or needs to be selected over and over. The GK is the one I never rotate.

Yeah, laziness it is.

Sam
27-04-14, 06:33 PM
I always buy a CB with high influence, positioning, determination, decisions, teamwork and workrate. He is my captain and plays every game. Everyone else gets rotated.

shilts
05-05-14, 12:46 PM
I've had players who on paper are the perfect captain - 20 influence and high determination - and yet, give them the armband and their performances drop. I change the Captain like Dermotron does as I also rotate my squad to keep them all happy.

I usually use anyone with 15+ influence and 12+ determination as minimums, BUT I also let the game decide sometimes (ie set the Captain to a sub then go to the game and you get the message 'you haven't selected a captian, such and such will be captain')

JLa
05-05-14, 01:24 PM
I try to avoid having my GK as captain - my experience is that GK captains conceed more goals. I don't have any hard evidence backing this up though, just a hunch.

Nurishi
07-06-14, 02:32 PM
I've had players who on paper are the perfect captain - 20 influence and high determination - and yet, give them the armband and their performances drop.
I think teamwork, age, and the ability to handle pressure might also play a significant role here.

Sw33Z
11-08-14, 02:27 AM
first team player status at least also is a must imo

Diggler
11-08-14, 05:04 PM
I just completed a season with Man Utd and none of my first team had more than 13 influence, I was challenging at the same sort of level as normal so Im not sure how much of a difference it makes...

Jesus
11-08-14, 05:40 PM
I try to avoid having my GK as captain - my experience is that GK captains conceed more goals. I don't have any hard evidence backing this up though, just a hunch.
I share this same feeling, it's almost as if the keeper gets added pressure and fucks up a bit more.

auser
01-09-16, 01:59 PM
Hey guys

I've just gotten back into this stunning game from my childhood. It's so much fun playing all the old legends and such.

I was wondering what makes a good team captain? I think influence plays a part and I feel like having an older squad member is a reasonable idea though I have no idea it that makes any difference.

I'm playing wolves at the moment and Colin Cameron is my captain and he's working out great, but since he's 30 something now I'm looking at a replacement. What are your thoughts on what makes a good team captain and just how important is the role of captain on the team?

Felix
01-09-16, 02:39 PM
I usually don't bother but let the computer choose the captain for me. Exceptions are made if I buy back a player that has been at the club earlier, then he usually gets to be the new captain (unless he left on a free agent, fought his way from the club or such)! Same if I buy an old player that has been world class, is on his way down but can contribute with his experience and encourage the younger lads in the squad both on and off the pitch! Or if a player have been at the club for many seasons (>8) but still not is captain by default, then I sometimes make him.

I try to rotate my squad much, hence the captain in the last game is often on the bench in the next game and I don't really bother to take the time to set a new one in every game. As far as I know it doesn't make any difference for the game who is the captain.

Craig Forrest
01-09-16, 03:52 PM
I give it to the guy with the highest influence, and I try and keep it that way.

fairedinkum
01-09-16, 04:01 PM
Influence, decisions and determination for me. The one other thing I always check is that they are fluent in English (I pretty much only manage in the English leagues). Whether this affects the outcome of games I'll never know.

drown
01-09-16, 04:21 PM
Influence, determination, work rate and teamwork in that order for me. Also prefer to give captaincy to someone who is proud to be playing for the club.

316'sRegen
01-09-16, 04:48 PM
I find that if you stick the armband on the wrong player it can diminish their performance.

Not sure about the overall effect on the team performance but if someone isn't "captain material" they seem to crumble under the pressure.

Felix
01-09-16, 06:49 PM
You lot can make a guy captain even if he's pretty new to the club? :confused:

drown
02-09-16, 12:36 AM
You lot can make a guy captain even if he's pretty new to the club? :confused:
Not a problem for me if he's captain material. There were times when I made a new signing and other players thought he's "an inspired leader". That's also an indication of a good captain.

316'sRegen
02-09-16, 01:34 AM
captain material

auser
03-09-16, 06:10 AM
Not a problem for me if he's captain material. There were times when I made a new signing and other players thought he's "an inspired leader". That's also an indication of a good captain.

Thats a good idea!

I've seen that message before and it probably helps a lot in picking someone

I suppose Captaincy is one of those things I suppose that would be a bit impossible to truly tell it's affect. But I suppose in the background it would certainly help to have the right guy for the job.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

AMC
03-09-16, 12:33 PM
I always go by influence then age, although I never give it to a keeper, it always seems to make them perform worse for me.

Blanchimont2002
05-09-16, 03:17 AM
^ I agree, I give it to the player with the highest influence unless its the keeper - they always seem to do worse if they wear the armband

mrefc
01-07-18, 09:32 PM
being dumb.....but cant see where to select my captain....can someone help me please?

AMC
01-07-18, 09:41 PM
On your tactic screen, pull the capt label to the player you want.

AJ
02-07-18, 07:35 AM
side note, has anyone noticed the low influence ratings on the last update?

CMCZ
08-07-18, 10:04 AM
side note, has anyone noticed the low influence ratings on the last update?

Official captains of the teams must have 18-19-20.